I have moved away to the dark side and bought a Galaxy Note 4. Even though I have been using it for 5 months, I just cannot get used to the freakin' touch screen keyboards, I want a physical keyboard but I hate BB OS as of lately due to the lack of apps I need like Viber, imo, proper instagram (not some wannabe), my VPN app = Private Internet Access

I tried sideloading apps but it was a bad experience as the screen size is diff. so a lot of the buttons are either chopped off or hidden so you can't see them. I don't want this sideloading joke, I want proper Android apps...

so the question is...if I buy a Passport or Passport Silver, is it sure that we can install Android in the near future or is it just fake rumors?

PS: what is the difference between a Passport and Passport Silver?
    08-15-15 05:38 AM
    No you will not be able to install the Android OS onto the Passport.

The differences in the SE and original seem to be the keyboard, SS frame and the chin, not much else apart from the colour although some seem to think the camera is better although the hardware is the same, placebo effect maybe?

Posted via CB10 using my Passport SQW100-1 running 10.3.1.2576
    Snappy Phoenix likes this.
    08-15-15 05:52 AM

The differences in the SE and original seem to be the keyboard, SS frame and the chin, not much else apart from the colour although some seem to think the camera is better although the hardware is the same, placebo effect maybe?

Ouch! bummer! I can't wait for an Android device with a physical keyboard
    Coachbulldog likes this.
    08-15-15 05:53 AM

There has been actually no word from BlackBerry about this. We don't know exactly what's cooking. And if BlackBerry goes Android, whether the solution will be available for the Passport as well. There is a lot of discussion regarding this and there are a lot of different opinions, but we won't know for sure until we get word from BlackBerry. Specs wise it would be possible to run Android on the Passport, but we will have to wait what BlackBerry does in practice. One possible scenario could be another release of the Passport with Android, but that is just speculation that I've read in the forums.

Posted via CB10
    08-15-15 06:03 AM
    As far as I understand from your post/thread about Passport and Android!
    You just need some Android apps! I am using Passport now and I installed Viber, Instagram, and several more apps from Android! They are working as they should be!

Posted via CB10
    08-15-15 06:24 AM
    Seriously guys....
    NOBODY except BlackBerry themselves know what kind os is coming...
    If 10.3.3 is with some intergated android, then you will get your update.

Please do not make statements which are not correct or based on speculations. This kind of info is messing up the forum and we dond't even know anything about it.(except some leaked pics)

Some guys who used the slider say it's still on bb10,some say it's android.

I know,bbry their silence is killing us and for sure killing me.
    But we have to wait to get the official updates on it.
    Chen said that something big was coming for us, so i do not think that he will leave us behind with a paperweight

Sorry if i sound angry,pissed or something else, but i'm just trying to help

Posted via CB10
    08-15-15 06:39 AM
    Ouch! bummer! I can't wait for an Android device with a physical keyboard
    Samsung just came out with one. Not sure how well it will work but it's a physical keyboard. It looks like heck but perhaps how it works is more important to you than how it looks.

Sounds like social apps are important to you. You're not BlackBerry's target audience at the moment. And if I understand you, BlackBerry 10 is not for you. Fine, to each his/her own. Android Central is a better place for you. Most folks here (sureys have been done) have little interest in an Android solution.

Posted via CB10
    08-15-15 08:01 AM
    Samsung just came out with one. Not sure how well it will work but it's a physical keyboard. It looks like heck but perhaps how it works is more important to you than how it looks.

Sounds like social apps are important to you. You're not BlackBerry's target audience at the moment. And if I understand you, BlackBerry 10 is not for you. Fine, to each his/her own. Android Central is a better place for you. Most folks here (sureys have been done) have little interest in an Android solution.

Posted via CB10
    Social apps ARE ways to do business...
    AdamThatsIt, LazyEvul and bodjor like this.
    08-15-15 08:04 AM
    load google play store like i have on my ATT Passport works like a charm for a few apps
    easytherm likes this.
    08-15-15 08:12 AM
    If Chen's plan is to abandon BB10 and release a full android phone, then no. Existing phones will not be able to downgrade to android.

Posted via CB10
    cbosdell and mkelley65 like this.
    08-15-15 08:17 AM
    Social apps ARE ways to do business...
    Sure, they are an element for marketing in some cases. Not so sure they fit with regulated industries which seem to be BlackBerry's focus. That was my point about social apps.

Posted via CB10
    08-15-15 08:35 AM
    Seriously guys....
    NOBODY except BlackBerry themselves know what kind os is coming...
    If 10.3.3 is with some intergated android, then you will get your update.

Please do not make statements which are not correct or based on speculations. This kind of info is messing up the forum and we dond't even know anything about it.(except some leaked pics)

Some guys who used the slider say it's still on bb10,some say it's android.

I know,bbry their silence is killing us and for sure killing me.
    But we have to wait to get the official updates on it.
    Chen said that something big was coming for us, so i do not think that he will leave us behind with a paperweight

Sorry if i sound angry,pissed or something else, but i'm just trying to help

Posted via CB10
    What are you talking about? No one made any statements here.

Posted via CB10
    Genghis2k3 likes this.
    08-15-15 08:37 AM
    What are you talking about? No one made any statements here.

Posted via CB10
    As i read it states that we will not be able to upgrade to the android os...
    Who knows that?

Posted via CB10
    08-15-15 09:03 AM
    When you had your Passport, your buttons on your Android apps didn't have to be chopped off, you just needed to change the zoom on your phone.

Some are fine and not distorted running square, some need to be switched to rectangular. Even if you were able to load Android on a Passport I can't see this situation changing. Apps are not built for square phone screens.

Posted via CB10
    08-15-15 09:08 AM
    When you had your Passport, your buttons on your Android apps didn't have to be chopped off, you just needed to change the zoom on your phone.

Some are fine and not distorted running square, some need to be switched to rectangular. Even if you were able to load Android on a Passport I can't see this situation changing. Apps are not built for square phone screens.

Posted via CB10
    That's a good point you are bringing up here.

Posted via CB10
    08-15-15 09:22 AM
    You can't install the Android OS, but you can install most of the apps. Some require a patch, some work better with a patch, some work perfectly as is, and a very few won't work at all.

Overall, the experience is fine, but not native.

Either way though, the Passport is an excellent phone.

Posted via CB10
    08-15-15 10:19 AM
    I think what the OP wants to know is if BB goes Android in the future, will the Android 'upgrade' be available to the Passports that are in the market right now.

OP, if that is your question then nobody knows anything yet. We don't know if the devices currently in market will be supported or not. Nothing is official at the moment.

Posted via CB10
    AdamThatsIt likes this.
    08-15-15 10:30 AM
    As i read it states that we will not be able to upgrade to the android os...
    Who knows that?

Posted via CB10
    Right now you cannot install Android OS on Passport. Who knows what will happen in the future. You're misinterpreting a statement about the present as being about the future, and also over reacting.

Posted via CB10
    08-15-15 10:30 AM
    Right now you cannot install Android OS on Passport. Who knows what will happen in the future. You're misinterpreting a statement about the present as being about the future, and also over reacting.

Posted via CB10
    No worry, i'm not overreacting
    We will see what Chen has to offer. I'll gladly wait for the announcement

Posted via CB10
    08-15-15 10:52 AM
    I KNOW WHAT OS IS COMING. BB10!

Posted from a Passport or Z30. Get one!
    08-15-15 10:53 AM
    Due to encrypted boot loader... will never happen on current hardware.... reason you cannot root BB.. which in essence is what you would need to do to load a different OS.... so please put this to bed..... only chance to running full blown Android on current BB hardware would be hypervision... and with that you still are not replacing the OS....
    raino and BB-JAM215 like this.
    08-15-15 10:53 AM
    As far as I understand from your post/thread about Passport and Android!
    You just need some Android apps! I am using Passport now and I installed Viber, Instagram, and several more apps from Android! They are working as they should be!

Posted via CB10
    how to do that bro? through amazon appstore ?
    08-15-15 03:33 PM
    Stupid thread. Let's ask unanswerable questions and have other users reply as if they know for sure.
    raino, AdamThatsIt and anon9347040 like this.
    08-15-15 03:59 PM
    Welcome to CB.

 Classic
    08-15-15 04:07 PM
    I have moved away to the dark side and bought a Galaxy Note 4. Even though I have been using it for 5 months, I just cannot get used to the freakin' touch screen keyboards, I want a physical keyboard but I hate BB OS as of lately due to the lack of apps I need like Viber, imo, proper instagram (not some wannabe), my VPN app = Private Internet Access

I tried sideloading apps but it was a bad experience as the screen size is diff. so a lot of the buttons are either chopped off or hidden so you can't see them. I don't want this sideloading joke, I want proper Android apps...

so the question is...if I buy a Passport or Passport Silver, is it sure that we can install Android in the near future or is it just fake rumors?

PS: what is the difference between a Passport and Passport Silver?

No, BlackBerry would never waste it's time and resources on updating old phones to a completely new OS. There may be some internal test PP with Android on it but that's it.

Wait for the Slider.
    08-15-15 04:20 PM
63 123