I know this sounds crazy, but what if we could enable a temporary virtual keyboard. It would be either a replica of the physical keyboard, or could be a full one like the Z30. It would only be upon command and in long text fields (like this thread body field). As you can see in the pic, even with the full "extra" four rows of virtual keys, there is still plenty of space to see what you're typing due to the Passport's amazing width. As a Z30 user, this would definitely be a good way to wean myself off the virtual kb... or it would be useful when you need to type quietly without the physical key clicks (like for posting on CB at night while in bed without waking up the wife).

Idea: Virtual Keyboard mode/option for Passport-img_20141002_223428.png

Posted via CB10
    BlackistheBerry likes this.
    10-02-14 09:36 PM
    I want that in an upside down mode to use one handed.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-14 10:03 PM
    It would also need to be a bit smaller and aligned to either the right or left.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-14 10:03 PM
    I know this sounds crazy, but what if we could enable a temporary virtual keyboard. It would be either a replica of the physical keyboard, or could be a full one like the Z30. It would only be upon command and in long text fields (like this thread body field). As you can see in the pic, even with the full "extra" four rows of virtual keys, there is still plenty of space to see what you're typing due to the Passport's amazing width. As a Z30 user, this would definitely be a good way to wean myself off the virtual kb... or it would be useful when you need to type quietly without the physical key clicks (like for posting on CB at night while in bed without waking up the wife).

Posted via CB10
    Obviously the idea could use a LOT of work, but I love the idea!
    10-02-14 10:14 PM
    Obviously the idea could use a LOT of work, but I love the idea!
    Lol... yeah, who knows how difficult it would be to actually implement for BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-14 10:23 PM
    Lol... yeah, who knows how difficult it would be to actually implement for BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Not even just that, but maybe ideas to be put into how that should be executed..
    Things like:
    • Toggle rotated keyboard (it only appears when rotated)

• Implementing an option in settings to swap if you're left/right handed (so that it can be more situated for those who need to use it one-handed)

• How it will be brought up, whether by dragging two fingers up/down same way it was on the previous touch BB10's or something new

Things like that! :P
    Last edited by D3C0D3R; 10-02-14 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Fixed List
    10-02-14 10:27 PM
    Duly noted.

For a sideways keyboard, are you thinking 90 deg rotation, or more like half the keyboard above the other half of the keyboard?
    10-02-14 10:51 PM
    Yeah, double swipe down would be good, but the rotation idea is neat as well and still lets you use the touch sensitive physical keys as a scroll bar. It really doesn't have to be anything fancy, just the regular four rows.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-14 10:52 PM
    It should be just like the z10 keyboard and only work when the phone is upside down. This would be for one handed use and would be great if it had flick typing.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 11:32 AM
    Yeah, double swipe down would be good, but the rotation idea is neat as well and still lets you use the touch sensitive physical keys as a scroll bar. It really doesn't have to be anything fancy, just the regular four rows.
    Duly noted.
    For a sideways keyboard, are you thinking 90 deg rotation, or more like half the keyboard above the other half of the keyboard?
    It should be just like the z10 keyboard and only work when the phone is upside down. This would be for one handed use and would be great if it had flick typing.
    Agreeing with all of these, just maybe not some crazy keyboard, I like the idea of it just being similar to the Z10 Keyboard.
    Maybe the toggle could have three options?
    1. No virtual keyboard
    2. Upsidedown ONLY virtual keyboard
    3. Any rotation keyboad (except right-side up obviously)

Something like that?
    AnimalPak200 likes this.
    10-03-14 11:37 AM
    Agreeing with all of these, just maybe not some crazy keyboard, I like the idea of it just being similar to the Z10 Keyboard.
    Maybe the toggle could have three options?
    1. No virtual keyboard
    2. Upsidedown ONLY virtual keyboard
    3. Any rotation keyboad (except right-side up obviously)

Something like that?
    Exactly,.. keep it simple and consistent with the Z-line devices. I still think even right side up should be allowed simply because it actually places the keyboard a much more comfortable "height" on the device.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 11:51 AM
    Exactly,.. keep it simple and consistent with the Z-line devices. I still think even right side up should be allowed simply because it actually places the keyboard a much more comfortable "height" on the device.

Posted via CB10
    Actually yeah I could see that too :P

Z10STL100-3/10.3.0.1052
    10-03-14 11:58 AM
    Hi AnimalPak200, I'm Silent Keys developer.

In all honesty, I've never seen this thread until today, when you linked to it in CB comments. Reading it makes me feel weird though, as many things discussed here have been added to Silent Keys. The app idea came to me after me and my girlfriend had an argument about the keys clicking noize while typing in bed, which never happened before as the Passport is my first physical keyboard device. I started Silent Keys development arount august of this year, way before this thread came up. Adding left and right padding was an idea from one of my beta testers, as adding many keyboards layouts which is also another tester request. Unfortunately, bringing the real BlackBerry Z touchscreen keyboard isn't possible, well not the alphabetic one. I can bring all the touchscreen keyboards that the Passport has (numeric, email, dial pad, etc) and some other keyboards that doesn't really helps. I've tried a lot, as it would have been so much better as a user experience, but it can't be done. That's why the app relies on copy/paste from a card, that's the best way I could think of as third-party keyboards are not possible on BB10.

If you (or anyone) have any suggestions for the app, you can leave a reply here or contact me on BBM at 2BD8C748.

Hope to hear back from you guys!
    Roger Leblanc
    dalight13 likes this.
    12-21-14 06:07 PM
    Hey Rodger, it's too bad you can't implement the keyboard right into the OS and text entry fields. Personally I could see the copy/paste getting tedious after a while. Chances I will still be giving your app a whirl though. Having the ability to type quietly at night in bed is definitely an upside. Might as well try it.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 06:37 PM