I find myself often using my Passport in my bed. Then the passport is lying on the matress while I type with one hand. Problem here is that because of the matress the underlying support is soft and typing with hard keys makes phone bounce. As the passport keyboard is touch sensitive, why not add a touch sensitive mode where the keys don't need to be pressed but only touched like on a full touch phone.
    06-09-15 04:38 PM
    Interesting...... I like that idea

Posted via CB10
    06-09-15 06:10 PM
    Actually a good idea. I'd never use it, but I can see how it might be useful, and it's a cool and simple utilization of the already-there technology.

Posted via CB10
    06-09-15 10:33 PM
    That is a great idea and be able to switch between touch sensitive keys and active keys would be a awesome feature.
    I

Posted via CB10
    06-09-15 11:11 PM
    No thanks

Posted via CB10
    06-10-15 02:09 AM
    I find myself often using my Passport in my bed. Then the passport is lying on the matress while I type with one hand. Problem here is that because of the matress the underlying support is soft and typing with hard keys makes phone bounce. As the passport keyboard is touch sensitive, why not add a touch sensitive mode where the keys don't need to be pressed but only touched like on a full touch phone.
    Good idea. Maybe this way BBRY could somehow reduce the number of issues caused by the double typing characters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    06-10-15 02:23 AM
    Why use a physical keyboard then genius?

Posted from Nederland!
    Cortizo5 and Hulk123 like this.
    06-10-15 02:30 AM
    Great idea.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-15 02:48 AM
    06-10-15 03:26 AM
    That would require more touch sensors I'm afraid.
    Or at least something to that extent in order to be accurate.

Posted via CB10
    SpamHammer likes this.
    06-10-15 03:40 AM
    perhaps I can make a little app that can do this. You'll have to copy and paste the text tho.

I'm currently on holiday, so I can't code anything.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-15 03:51 AM
    Blackberry will not compromise the sovereignty of their keyboard by allowing touch sensitive typing.

Pound away on the keyboard is what makes BlackBerry so special. Allowing touch typing will make it no more different than the competitors. And frankly, touch typing on a physical keyboard will just look stupid

Posted via my badass Passport
    06-10-15 04:51 AM
    Blackberry will not compromise the sovereignty of their keyboard by allowing touch sensitive typing.

Pound away on the keyboard is what makes BlackBerry so special. Allowing touch typing will make it no more different than the competitors. And frankly, touch typing on a physical keyboard will just look stupid

Posted via my badass Passport
    Well said. Close thread?

Posted via CB10
    06-10-15 05:23 AM
    LOL.

How about an actual pkb on touch screen?!

Smh.

Pasaporte Pilipinas | SQW100-1/10.3.2.798
    06-10-15 05:35 AM
    No thanks

Posted via CB10
    Right.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-15 07:07 AM
    perhaps I can make a little app that can do this. You'll have to copy and paste the text tho.

I'm currently on holiday, so I can't code anything.

Posted via CB10
    There's an app called 'Silent Keys' that is a virtual keyboard for Passport. I use it when I'm typing early in the morning so that I don't disturb my wife.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport via CB10
    AluminiumRims likes this.
    06-10-15 07:46 AM
    Really don't find a need of this, if someone likes it simply buys a full touch screen phone.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport
    06-10-15 01:59 PM
    Really don't find a need of this, if someone likes it simply buys a full touch screen phone.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport
    Because it seems technically feasible and maybe even pretty simple to implement, it is a cool demo of the capabilities of the touch keyboard, it wouldn't hurt, it might even have some usefulness in quiet environments.

The question is: why not try it? (the only answer is that BlackBerry has bigger fish to fry, which I agree with. Save it for when BB10 is more mature).

Posted via CB10
    06-10-15 02:17 PM
    When i first checked out the Passport for the very first time, I thought it could do this. I thought that's what the touch enabled keyboard was going to be lol
    06-10-15 02:23 PM
    Why use a physical keyboard then genius?

Posted from Nederland!
    Because there are times, like the OP illustrated, where the Passport's stiff button pressure makes it difficult to use.
    06-10-15 02:44 PM
    That would require more touch sensors I'm afraid.
    Or at least something to that extent in order to be accurate.

Posted via CB10
    Yep. The way the keyboard is now, it functions as one large trackpad. I don't think they have each key mapped individually. I wonder if it's possible, since it would seem each key must have some sort of sensor in order for the device to work overall the way it does. A gap in the keypad's sensors would make it unable to work. Still, they might be using a lower tech or lower quality implementation than what this idea calls for because they didn't have a need for something more complex before.
    06-10-15 02:47 PM
    I'm not sure it's that easy. in order to silently tap keys sensor would have to have orientation - coordinate system to determine where each key is in relation to your tap.

What you have now is your usual gesture recognition. It recognizes tap, swipe and hold which do not require any coordination implementation. Also up until 10.3.2 update it was only single touch that was detected, no multi-touch was recognized.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-15 04:19 PM
    I'm not sure it's that easy. in order to silently tap keys sensor would have to have orientation - coordinate system to determine where each key is in relation to your tap.

What you have now is your usual gesture recognition. It recognizes tap, swipe and hold which do not require any coordination implementation. Also up until 10.3.2 update it was only single touch that was detected, no multi-touch was recognized.

Posted via CB10
    Think it would be easy, but not sure how accurate it would be (can the same 'adaptive heat map' used on the BB10 virtual keyboards be used?) . Of course, having the physical keys raised may address this issue by itself, but just from trying it out I can tell that my thumbs touch more than one neighboring key whenever I go to tap one.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-15 04:36 PM

Posted via CB10
    What new multi-touch gestures were added in 10.3.2? I think the big one most of us have wished for is pinch to zoom on the keyboard.
    06-10-15 04:37 PM
    What new multi-touch gestures were added in 10.3.2? I think the big one most of us have wished for is pinch to zoom on the keyboard.
    That one, and multi directional scrolling.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-15 05:05 PM
43 12