The Samsung Amoled displays use a Pentile Subpixel arrangement. Because of this, practical resolution is grossly overestimated.

Their numbers are misleading and not equivalent to an LCD with the same reported pixel density with an RGGB subpixel arrangement.

Besides this, the Pentile subpixel arrangement is reported to cause nausea on occasion.

I would like liquids blacks, but not if color accuracy suffers. And not if I have to drive 450ppi so it looks as sharp as an LCD's 350ppi.

The BlackBerry Classic has the most color accurate screen on the market. And the Passport is very highly rated as well.

The iPhone 6 and Galaxy S6 are not well-regarded when it comes to color accuracy.
    07-19-15 01:52 PM
    The BlackBerry Classic has the most color accurate screen on the market. And the Passport is very highly rated as well.
    Source?

The iPhone 6 and Galaxy S6 are not well-regarded when it comes to color accuracy.
    What? That is demonstrably false, they are both considered among the best in the industry: Display - The Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 edge Review

I wish Passport had a AMOLED screen-73795.png
    I wish Passport had a AMOLED screen-73798.png
    I wish Passport had a AMOLED screen-73797.png

Also, this: http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S6_ShootOut_1.htm

We recently evaluated and rated the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus as the current Best Mobile LCD Displays, while the Galaxy S6 and Galaxy Note 4 are the current Best Mobile OLED Displays.
    Last edited by LazyEvul; 07-19-15 at 03:54 PM.
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    07-19-15 01:58 PM
    Source?

What? That is demonstrably false, they are both considered among the best in the industry: Display - The Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 edge Review

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	73795.png 
Views:	593 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	363284

Name:	73798.png 
Views:	592 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	363282

Name:	73797.png 
Views:	593 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	363280

Also, this: http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S6_ShootOut_1.htm
    I believe that same website rated the BlackBerry Classic as having more accurate colors that the iPhone 6. Without that information, what I've said isn't yet proven false.
    07-19-15 02:03 PM
    I believe that same website rated the BlackBerry Classic as having more accurate colors that the iPhone 6. Without that information, what I've said isn't yet proven false.
    Neither Anandtech nor DisplayMate have ever done a review of the BlackBerry Classic.

But a lack of evidence isn't evidence in and of itself - you can't just make a claim like "It has the best display in the industry!" and then go, "Well, nobody's tried to prove me wrong, so hey, I must be right!" That's immensely fallacious logic.

If you have a review that suggests otherwise, by all means, post a link. But there is no reason to believe that to be the case right now.
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    07-19-15 02:06 PM
    Samsung makes lots of SuperAMOLED devices and their displays are simply gorgeous. Their photos are amazing as well.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-15 02:30 PM
    Frankly, regarding the outdoors readability thing; I can barely read my bright, maxed-out LCD Passport either, next to my old Z30 -- I wish they'd find some good anti-reflective treatment for the glass, because, even though your irises may has gone pinhole, that occurs a greater problem in this context than total emissive power.

..and +1 "yes, please", to OLED (...along with a couple of neat things that switch would make possible).
    07-19-15 02:35 PM
    Neither Anandtech nor DisplayMate have ever done a review of the BlackBerry Classic.

But a lack of evidence isn't evidence in and of itself - you can't just make a claim like "It has the best display in the industry!" and then go, "Well, nobody's tried to prove me wrong, so hey, I must be right!" That's immensely fallacious logic.

If you have a review that suggests otherwise, by all means, post a link. But there is no reason to believe that to be the case right now.
    There was an in depth review of color accuracy, and the Classic had the most neutral color temperature and accuracy. There are threads about it on Crackberry, I'll have to dig up the site.
    07-19-15 02:37 PM
    What you are calling gorgeous or whatever is actually oversaturated and unrealistic. OLED based displays are lousy.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-15 02:38 PM
    That would be terrible mistake. AMOLED on the Z30 is so bad. Colours so unnatural and over saturated. Would love to have a slider in settings to bring those lollipop colours down a notch.
    Coming from Z10, the Z30 screen is still putting me off (for colour accuracy) after 3 weeks of use.
    07-19-15 02:55 PM
    That would be terrible mistake. AMOLED on the Z30 is so bad. Colours so unnatural and over saturated. Would love to have a slider in settings to bring those lollipop colours down a notch.
    Coming from Z10, the Z30 screen is still putting me off (for colour accuracy) after 3 weeks of use.

I wish Passport had a AMOLED screen-img_20150720_074456.png

This?

Posted via CB10
    kthhrrsn likes this.
    07-19-15 04:45 PM
    Nope. This is white balance. Won't help with saturation.
    07-19-15 06:26 PM
    Nope. This is white balance. Won't help with saturation.
    This.. which if I recall correctly isn't on the Z30.

I wish Passport had a AMOLED screen-img_20150719_163630.jpg
    07-19-15 06:37 PM
    Yes exactly. It's missing on Z30 unfortunately. I understand this is available on Passport.
    07-19-15 07:33 PM
    Absolutely agree. The Z30 screen is gorgeous, People say it's too dark but after using it for a few seconds they say that it's so nice to use and their own phones give them headaches.

If the passport had bigger keys and AMOLED I would definitely get one now.

Imagine the passport and an AMOLED , I guess the battery would last for a week Hehe.

Anyway, it is such a beautiful device. My thumbs aren't made for the tiny keyboard rows though. Get cramps writing on them.

A week? Better keep that AMOLED brightness turned down and use a dark theme. LCD has a lower current draw at high brightness settings than AMOLED.
    07-19-15 08:04 PM
    Don't understand the AMOLED complaints on here. Q10 is AMOLED and I have never had a problem seeing it in the sun. It's probably because they don't let you dim the screen too much though. Shame, since this thing burns my eyes at night, but is fine in direct sunlight.

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Q10
    07-19-15 09:08 PM
    Not interested in AMOLED. As above has mentioned color oversaturation is nearly a universal issue. The one benefit these screens do have is the ability to show a low power standby screen, which I loved on my old Nokia N9. Ultimately that phone suffered from fuzzy text and the screen eventually died of mura.

Now I know newer AMOLED screens have a proper subpixel layout and uniformity has improved but it's still young tech that the LCD's are just so much more refined on. I've been very happy with the LCD of the Passport and wouldn't change it.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-15 09:30 PM
    As a former owner of a Z30 I loved the colors of the screen, but frankly was nearly impossible to read under the sunlight, so if I have the choice I would prefer the screen of the Passport.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport
    07-19-15 09:52 PM
    AMOLED has come a long way and is far improved from what is on the Z30. The anandtech charts say enough, that AMOLED these days especially on the S6 does not mean it is oversaturated like it is on the Z30. The generalization that AMOLED is associated with oversaturated colours will surely start to fade away into the past. The only arguable flaw is that in terms of white balance it is not yet at LCD but once it does reach that level then AMOLED will have truly surpassed LCD technology. LCD has hardly advanced while AMOLED displays have taken big strides.
    07-20-15 01:15 AM
    AMOLED has come a long way and is far improved from what is on the Z30. The anandtech charts say enough, that AMOLED these days especially on the S6 does not mean it is oversaturated like it is on the Z30. The generalization that AMOLED is associated with oversaturated colours will surely start to fade away into the past. The only arguable flaw is that in terms of white balance it is not yet at LCD but once it does reach that level then AMOLED will have truly surpassed LCD technology. LCD has hardly advanced while AMOLED displays have taken big strides.
    But that happens with more mature technologies, you get diminishing gains until someone comes up with a new technology. Plasma still has a ton of advantages over LCD's limitations in TVs yet it is a very mature tech. It doesn't mean that when it reaches that point it should be abandoned.

I just done see an AMOLED improving the Passport in any way except MAYBE battery life.

Posted via CB10 on me red Blackberry Passport
    07-20-15 01:35 AM
    Hate amoleds. Burn in issues that should never happen in 2015. Go look at phones on display at cell stores that have amoled screens. People will say yeah but those are on 24/7. Ok. Now look at the models with LCD screens next to them that are on 24/7. Point made.

Posted via CB10
    Yup. Exactly. Which is why I hate AMOLED monitors.
    07-20-15 02:59 AM
    I think AMOLED has improved already. Why not give it a try again. Especially for the upcoming Slider phone. .

Z30 | Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2339 | Globe PH
    Who said that Slider will have an amoled?

The only good thing about an amoled on a PP is that it'll make the black bars on top and bottom of the youtube videos much less obvious.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-15 03:36 AM
    But that happens with more mature technologies, you get diminishing gains until someone comes up with a new technology. Plasma still has a ton of advantages over LCD's limitations in TVs yet it is a very mature tech. It doesn't mean that when it reaches that point it should be abandoned.

I just done see an AMOLED improving the Passport in any way except MAYBE battery life.

Posted via CB10 on me red Blackberry Passport
    The problem with plasmas and why they wen out thanks to regulation, at least in the EU is because they're extremely power-hungry.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-15 03:38 AM
    Good OLED screens are still expensive to make and as such would impact the price big time.

Q10 OLED screen is an example of a bad, cheap screen.
    07-20-15 07:23 AM
    I had to turn on my Z30 yesterday to get some phone numbers that didn't transfer over when I got my Passport and I find the screen is not nearly as sharp as the PP. I use the same background picture for both phones and, yes, the Z30 has a more vivid orange but the overall image is clearer and brighter on my PP. Just my opinion though.

Posted via CB Z30
    07-20-15 07:32 AM
    To me, AMOLED vs LCD is as simple as this

At night, AMOLED is nicer, deeper blacks, no color bleeding. During the day, LED is nicer, it's much brighter and easier to see especially in bright sunlight
    07-20-15 08:26 AM
65 123