All they have to do is make the bottom of the phone slightly heavier than the top and you could easily get close to a 4" phone. Remember phones are all getting bigger.
    The problem is BlackBerry has become a timid phone maker. The z10 was a middling Size, what they thought as a safe bet. Same with the Q10, a tiny improvement in size .
    there is no one at BlackBerry that know what people are going to want 6 months from now. People are media consumers now. Instagram, picture sharing, Internet, YouTube.
    We not afraid of bigger phones! Women are carrying around galaxy s4"s.
    Make a 4" screen with a keyboard and BlackBerry would have a big hit on they're hands.
    And put back that optical Pad and make it so you can press it and slide your thumb for swipe commands and peek.
    Step up, show no fear!
    I don't think they were being timid when they designed the z10, designing it to be used efficiently with one-hand would tend to put a limit on the screen size for most people in the 4.2" - 4.5" range with them choosing the lower end for a higher ppi, unfortunately they overestimated the demand for smaller devices that didn't have an apple logo on them.

However, it is slightly ironic when you talk about BB needing to step up and show no fear when going for a 4" display is simply doing the same as them with a slightly bigger display, if they really wanted to push things then they should be looking to go quite a lot bigger and designing the qwerty with the intention that it be the flagship for their mobile computing push.

Design it with the expectation that the optimal way to use it would be two-handed and you could go a fair bit wider than current models and actually end up with a device in the 4.3" - 4.7" range rather than just a 4" display, they would still have other qwerty models for those who want a normal-sized phone with a physical qwerty after all.

If BB want qwerty to become relevant again in the future they simply cannot do another incremental device, they need something that will really stand out so that people can't just dismiss it.
    Bbnivende and joe_23 like this.
    11-06-13 04:19 PM
    On the other hand the most likely scenario is that there will be no new phones.
    11-06-13 07:21 PM
    I could go for a larger Q10.

I personally only use BlackBerry keyboards two thumbed any way. So shoot, they could make it as wide as a Note 3 and I'd still be happy. Think of how large them keys would be if a Q10 was 3 inches wide.
    11-07-13 11:33 AM
    Just to give an idea of what would really look like a Q30 with 4" screen:
    It would be only 2 centimeters taller, as you can easily gain screen space removing the Blackberry logo.
    So if the Q10 is 11,9 cm then a Q30 could be only 13,9 cm tall.
    And that would be sticking with the actual Q10 width (66,8mm), if you make it a little larger like the Z30 (72mm) then the Q30 form factor would fit in less than 13,9 cm!
    For comparison the Z30 is 14 cm.
    I think it wouldn't be really that bulky, of course it would be closer to the phablet segment, or at least at the very limit of usability.
    But i can't wait to use such a screen estate paired up with the fantastic couple BB10 -physical keyboard.
    Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the breakdown.

It's definitely doable, but will it be done?

If only we could get a straight answer from Chen or whoever will be running the company.
    BroncoVAL likes this.
    11-07-13 11:54 AM
    Thanks for the breakdown.

It's definitely doable, but will it be done?

If only we could get a straight answer from Chen or whoever will be running the company.
    Without a proposed screen resolution and proper screen dimensions this proposal is not realistic.
    11-07-13 04:26 PM
    Without a proposed screen resolution and proper screen dimensions this proposal is not realistic.
    You seem very persnickety !
    I must admit that i'm not able to calculate what resolution would fit better on such a 4" screen.
    By the way the point was to show the possibility to associate a 4" screen to a Q10 keyboard on a device that wouldn't excede Z30's format.
    I don't think the resolution would change the fact it would fit in a 12.9-13.9 cm length.
    And there's always the possibility to play on the width, edge to edge screen, blackberry logo only on the back etc. so in the end you will eventually meet the criteria (which i don't know) to assure the best resolution DPI wisely speaking.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-13 08:25 PM
    BlacBerry has two screen formats. The Z30 touch format or the square. Q10 format. Using a 4 inch screen in either format will result in a phone that is larger than a Z30 in either height or width. Probably the most practical design is right now would be a wider square screen with a 4 inch screen on the diagonal. This phone would be wider than a z30 but not as tall.
    11-08-13 01:37 AM
    You are absolutely right!
    My "paper-designed" Q30 (i'm ashamed for it's ridiculous but i wanted to see what it would look like in the hand...and it's really pleasing ) is a 4" screen with a 1:1 ratio and 7.2cmx7.2cm.
    I want a "Q10" with a bigger keys and screen!-bb2.jpg
    Its height is only 12.9cm (and there's certainly a way to do it a little smaller, as i put on top a 2cm space for speaker and...BB logo)
    So we could see a Blackberry devices line with rational screen diversity:
    for multimedia: Z30 and Z10 (btw what is Z30 ratio? seems a little more than a 4:3?)
    1:1 ratio for business: Q5, Q10, Q30.
    Still no idea about the definition a 7.2cm squared screen could sport?
    There's to say that a 1:1 ratio fits very well with a physical keyboard (no landscape mode) as it always looks a little awkward to turn a 4:3 screen 90� with that keyboard that seems useless in that position.
    But i must admit i always loved this concept:
    I want a "Q10" with a bigger keys and screen!-rim-set-launch-blackberry-q30-z15_ghanalive.tv_.jpg
    Look at that tiny space for the speaker, and no Blackberry logo too!
    Last edited by BroncoVAL; 11-08-13 at 08:58 AM.
    joe_23 and JR A like this.
    11-08-13 07:03 AM
    That's the big advantage that mockups have, they managed to squeeze in a speaker, camera and led into almost zero space.

I think they will look to go bigger though with the next high-end qwerty, but if it adds a lot more to normal usability it could actually go a fair bit wider than what would be considered normal for a phone with just the downside of being sub-optimal when used as a phone without a headset or speakerphone since voice calls recede in importance all the time, just do the maths on a device that was one or two cm wider, even keeping the square display that could comfortably move beyond 4" for the display.
    11-08-13 09:55 AM
    We are still talking about Q line so it should be a phone 'pocket sized'.
    But i would buy a playbook with a keyboard as i literally adore interactions between physical keyboard and BB10 !
    So for a Q30 or a new playbook count me in!!!

Posted via CB10
    11-08-13 11:20 AM
    You are absolutely right!
    My "paper-designed" Q30 (i'm ashamed for it's ridiculous but i wanted to see what it would look like in the hand...and it's really pleasing ) is a 4" screen with a 1:1 ratio and 7.2cmx7.2cm.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bb2.jpg 
Views:	335 
Size:	151.9 KB 
ID:	218420
    Its height is only 12.9cm (and there's certainly a way to do it a little smaller, as i put on top a 2cm space for speaker and...BB logo)
    So we could see a Blackberry devices line with rational screen diversity:
    for multimedia: Z30 and Z10 (btw what is Z30 ratio? seems a little more than a 4:3?)
    1:1 ratio for business: Q5, Q10, Q30.
    Still no idea about the definition a 7.2cm squared screen could sport?
    There's to say that a 1:1 ratio fits very well with a physical keyboard (no landscape mode) as it always looks a little awkward to turn a 4:3 screen 90� with that keyboard that seems useless in that position.
    But i must admit i always loved this concept:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RIM-Set-To-Launch-Blackberry-Q30-and-Z15_ghanalive.tv_.jpg 
Views:	360 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	218454

Thank you!

Looks good! Having an actual paper cut out really helps get the point across.

You would think a bigger keyboard phone like this mock up would be top heavy and put strain on your hands/wrist when typing for extended periods of time. But if engineers consider the weight distribution, I'm sure they can position heavier components such as the battery closer to the bottom of the phone, thus bringing the balance point lower and not seem "top heavy" when typing.
    11-08-13 01:58 PM
    Thank you!

Looks good! Having an actual paper cut out really helps get the point across.

You would think a bigger keyboard phone like this mock up would be top heavy and put strain on your hands/wrist when typing for extended periods of time. But if engineers consider the weight distribution, I'm sure they can position heavier components such as the battery closer to the bottom of the phone, thus bringing the balance point lower and not seem "top heavy" when typing.
    Totally agree with you!
    A phone taller 2 cm can't be that unbalanced and keep in mind that it would be slightly larger so the weight would already be divided up to the bottom of the phone too!
    I don't consider the weight as an issue in such a Q30, it would be another problem if we talked about a playbook with physical keyboard for example
    11-08-13 02:19 PM
    We are still talking about Q line so it should be a phone 'pocket sized'.
    But i would buy a playbook with a keyboard as i literally adore interactions between physical keyboard and BB10 !
    So for a Q30 or a new playbook count me in!!!
    The crucial thing for a new high-end Q-device would be to have the best physical keyboard on a phone, anything beyond that should not be set in stone and simply eking out a few more mm of screen size is not a dramatic enough change to be making when you could push things a bit further and produce something that would still be a qwerty phone but would actually stand out as not just another blackberry.

Also, where is this idea that I was suggesting something going beyond phone-sized anyway, you could make it a cm or so wider than a z30 so still phone-sized albeit a phablet, keep the 1:1 display and you'd still be up to about a 4.3" - 4.5" display on a qwerty device.
    11-08-13 04:38 PM
    Glad to see that my suggestion has spurred such a debate.

The demand is there. A Q10 with a Z30 size for people with man hands! Bring it on Blackberry

Posted via Orbital VSAT Loadstar
    BroncoVAL likes this.
    11-08-13 09:29 PM
    The crucial thing for a new high-end Q-device would be to have the best physical keyboard on a phone, anything beyond that should not be set in stone and simply eking out a few more mm of screen size is not a dramatic enough change to be making when you could push things a bit further and produce something that would still be a qwerty phone but would actually stand out as not just another blackberry.

Also, where is this idea that I was suggesting something going beyond phone-sized anyway, you could make it a cm or so wider than a z30 so still phone-sized albeit a phablet, keep the 1:1 display and you'd still be up to about a 4.3" - 4.5" display on a qwerty device.
    The Q10 is 6.68 cm wide. The Z30 is 7.2 cm wide. The Note 3 is 7.92 cm wide. The Q10 has a 2.2 inch screen = 3.1 inches on the diagonal. Say the "Q30" was as wide as the Note 3. My calculation seems to suggest a screen width of 2.6 inches giving a screen diagonal of 3.689 inches. To get up to a screen size of 4.25 inches would require a phone with a width of 9.1 cm. All this to say that the square screen format may not the best if the goal is to make a big screened QWERTY.

BB needs a third screen resolution that is a compromise. The N4BB (Cheriton) design had a screen size of 2.2 by 2.9 inches for a diagonal of 3.64 inches. This phone would be better from a ergonomic perspective IMO.

edit: As I look at my favorite website on a iphone 5 and my 2.8 inch 9900, the font is larger ( after a double tap ) on my 9900. The width of the screen does matter. If BB made a Q30 with a screen the same width as a Z30 screen, the usability on a practical level would be much improved. I would prefer the Q5 design but with a Bold KP. They also have to bring back the silver accents like the Z30.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 11-09-13 at 10:17 AM.
    11-08-13 10:48 PM
    that would be a tablet
    11-09-13 02:49 AM
    The Q10 is 6.68 cm wide. The Z30 is 7.2 cm wide. The Note 3 is 7.92 cm wide. The Q10 has a 2.2 inch screen = 3.1 inches on the diagonal. Say the "Q30" was as wide as the Note 3. My calculation seems to suggest a screen width of 2.6 inches giving a screen diagonal of 3.689 inches. To get up to a screen size of 4.25 inches would require a phone with a width of 9.1 cm. All this to say that the square screen format may not the best if the goal is to make a big screened QWERTY.
    If you do the maths and assume a minimal bezels on the sides then it could be much closer to 8cm than 9cm, but in either case neither is too wide.
    11-09-13 03:12 PM
    If you do the maths and assume a minimal bezels on the sides then it could be much closer to 8cm than 9cm, but in either case neither is too wide.
    BlackBerry has no phones with minimal bezels. Perhaps BB10 needs wider bezels. Regardless this phone would be about the same width as the Samsung Mega. I would like a bigger screen but that is just too poorly proportioned. At some point a Slider would make more sense.
    11-09-13 05:51 PM
    BlackBerry is currently planning on releasing a larger screened keyboard phone. I.E. a Q30 as well as an upgraded Z10

Posted via CB10
    Sexy Sadie likes this.
    11-10-13 08:16 AM
    I expecting that the next flagship Q line device will be a combo, taking the best from each, of the Q5 and Q10 disngs with upgraded specs. If notice that when the Q10 was release gesture space was somewhat of an issue. When they release the Q5 that problem was resolved by adding more bottom up gesture space. I am hoping with all the feedback blackberry as gotten with the Q10 and Q5 that the next batch of Q line devices will be great for us keyboard fans.
    11-10-13 08:25 AM
    BlackBerry has no phones with minimal bezels. Perhaps BB10 needs wider bezels. Regardless this phone would be about the same width as the Samsung Mega. I would like a bigger screen but that is just too poorly proportioned. At some point a Slider would make more sense.
    I am talking about the bezels on the sides, those are only a few mm on each side and if they could reduce those then they could readily get the width down to that of the original galaxy note, but as I have said before going as wide as 9cm would still be fine and the ergonomics would work just right for a device that was primarily intended to be used two-handed and only fairly infrequently held up against your head to answer calls i.e. similar limitations to any other phablet on the market.
    11-10-13 09:35 AM
    I am talking about the bezels on the sides, those are only a few mm on each side and if they could reduce those then they could readily get the width down to that of the original galaxy note, but as I have said before going as wide as 9cm would still be fine and the ergonomics would work just right for a device that was primarily intended to be used two-handed and only fairly infrequently held up against your head to answer calls i.e. similar limitations to any other phablet on the market.
    Well then go BIG . Make it the size of a Nexus 7 and be the first Phablet that has a physical keyboard. Could be sold just as a tablet too.
    11-10-13 09:31 PM
    Well then go BIG . Make it the size of a Nexus 7 and be the first Phablet that has a physical keyboard. Could be sold just as a tablet too.
    There is a huge difference between sub-optimal as a phone and unusable as one though.
    11-12-13 06:25 AM
    There is a huge difference between sub-optimal as a phone and unusable as one though.
    And it depends on your hand size as well. We agree that BlackBerry could do a better job packaging their phones.

Moto X 129.3 x 65.3 x 10.4 mm (5.09 x 2.57 x 0.41 in)
    Weight 130 g (4.59 oz)
    4.7 inch screen

Z10 130 x 65.6 x 9 mm (5.12 x 2.58 x 0.35 in)
    Weight 137.5 g (4.83 oz)
    4.2 inch screen

To myself the large screen small body Moto is the sweet spot in handset size. I would love to see a 130 mm X 67 mm Q10 with a 4:3 screen and smaller bezels. I might buy that phone.

Maybe I am wrong .. the new sweet spot might be at 69 mm like the Nexus 5. Even at 1:1 with smaller bezels a revised Q10 would be much improved.
    I hope that the next Q10 does not exceed 69 mm.

Finally saw my first BB's while in Arizona . Two old Curves . Seemed to be texting.
    There might even be a market for a new BB10 Curve sized device BUT it would need to have small bezels and a trackpad .... say it again ...and a trackpad.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 11-12-13 at 11:50 AM.
    11-12-13 11:05 AM
    What about screen real estate as the Z10 and then the physical keyboard as a slider,something like the old Sony Xperia Pro?
    11-17-13 07:13 PM
52 123