I need a new BlackBerry phone and the Passport seems right to me but the price is still a bit steep for me for a 2 year old model. Plus the best and greatest smartphone ever was just released for a mere $100 more. (Samsung S7, just exaggerating a bit here). So I know it comes down to what I want and what I need but in terms of logic there is none to be found here. Why is there no further price drop on the Passports now? Who the hell would choose one of those now?

Posted via CB10
    03-05-16 10:58 AM
    you need to find a calendar...its not 2 years old. An the s7 is $200 more than the passport (499 vs 699 usd)
    LyoobaBerry likes this.
    03-05-16 11:07 AM
    if i was in your shoes and really wanted one i would get a used one for cheap from somewhere else i cant justify paying all that money for a phone that isnt going to get a whole lot of support starting god knows when in the not to distant future at least it wont sting as much paying a lot less than full price. also by bb's logic it appears to be a better idea to keep the price high and keep the phones in a warehouse rather than sell them a a cheaper price.
    southlander likes this.
    03-05-16 11:10 AM
    I agree. My Passport is almost 1,5 y/o now, and I've been thinking about getting the silver edition, but it is indeed priced ridiculously high, considering that it is 'old' and that the series has been discontinued, and that there is practically no support for BB10 anymore...

Passport SQW100-1 OS 10.3.2.2876
    03-05-16 11:10 AM
    May wanna check the Marketplace here you may find a few well below retail price.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639 Q10SQN100-5/10.3.1.2576 Posted via CB
    03-05-16 11:20 AM
    Try getting another brand. Blackberry prices are rip offs. A two year old passport doesn't worth that much now. Second hands are much cheaper, I wanted to sell mine at a reasonable price but no one wanted it. I guess if it is a Samsung or Iphone it will be much more easier to sell even at a higher price.

Mia San Mia!
    03-05-16 11:25 AM
    Well I'm getting one with a new mobile plan, so the price will change but here in the Netherlands the combined price for a Passport and an S7 is virtually the same on contract. And with the S7 I even get a VR- Unit. But thanks for the suggestions.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-16 11:39 AM
    if i was in your shoes and really wanted one i would get a used one for cheap from somewhere else i cant justify paying all that money for a phone that isnt going to get a whole lot of support starting god knows when in the not to distant future at least it wont sting as much paying a lot less than full price. also by bb's logic it appears to be a better idea to keep the price high and keep the phones in a warehouse rather than sell them a a cheaper price.
    The problem with 2nd hand is that you get no warranty. Seeing as the passport series suffers from double typing issues and screen lifting issues, it's hard to make a purchase like that and be comfortable. Im in the same boat. I am tired of the "either Android or Apple" options. It's hard but buying from Amazon or blackberry themselves is the way to go just for the warranty reasons. I ordered the S7 edge to play around with but I know I'll end up sending it back. The passport keeps calling my name lol.
    Last edited by NeverBePeace; 03-05-16 at 02:27 PM.
    03-05-16 12:57 PM
    Yeh I'd get another PP if they dropped the price.

Plenty of 2nd hand around but agree given BBs QC it is too big a risk imo.
    03-05-16 02:17 PM
    Try Craigslist.
    I got a BB Passport SE, like new, factory unlocked, today in trade for a like new carrier unlocked, LGG2.

Be very careful. Only respond to ads that follow the proper communication chain. Prices that are too good to be true, usually are. Check the IMEI through Swappa or some other free service.
    Only meet in a Public place. Cash only or agree ahead on a trade. Reset the new device before you set it up, even if it was already reset.
    Do not accept excessive amounts of money in a check to ship an item, if you are selling. It will be a counterfeit check. Reset your device before you sell it.

Good luck. Be smart. Stay safe.
    texn884 likes this.
    03-05-16 02:50 PM
    I am new to BB and only got this to check it out.

The device is impressive after using the Microsoft 950XL and Nokia 1520 for so long.
    Also nicer than the Samsung Note 3 and 4 I briefly owned.
    03-05-16 02:59 PM
    I bought a used Original, Black Passport for $350 CAD unlocked 4 months ago and I don't regret it nor do I have issues (mechanical or software).

Posted via CB10
    03-05-16 03:00 PM
    BlackBerry is a really weird animal.... It is declared dead from most of the mobile world... OS10 is dead and so on... Yet the price of the passport and classic are still stable 'high'... Really funny...

BlackBerry OS10 It ain't over until it's over! White Passport...
    03-06-16 05:28 AM
    BlackBerry has a very low volume of sales, so its cost of manufacture is substantially higher than the competition.

This is what you need to pay for a limited production niche device.
    03-06-16 06:54 AM
    As long as they continue to release expensive bb10 devices I will buy them.
    03-06-16 08:03 AM
    Imho, Passport is worth shelling out money. I bought one 1.5+ year back for INR 40,000, and still find its price as up as INR 38,000. And now I am eyeing a Passport SE as I get budget for same.

Posted via CB10
    04-30-16 10:08 AM
    I switched to AT&T and got their version. Brilliant!

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    04-30-16 11:28 AM
    Jumped on it at $440... Wouldn't buy any phone for more, particularly when you can get a really nice phone for much less, say a Nexus 5x for $250 (!)... To each his own but Samsung will always be a second tier manufacturer for me, stuffing a phone with hardware specs and bloatware isn't my idea of a nice anything.
    Barbareren likes this.
    04-30-16 12:00 PM
    I jumped on mine on sale brand new at BlackBerry in February for $400. I hadnt been planning on it either, but I'm vey glad I did. it didnt remain my phone-phone for long, the tiny Q10 has won my heart for my carry-with-me phone. I kinda wanted the silver but it was $100 more. Aside from the shape difference getting it in white was another plus for me.

All BlackBerry phones give you more bang for your buck than any other. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    scraplet likes this.
    04-30-16 01:35 PM
    Used OG Passports on ebay UK have been maintaining a price of 170 - 200 for ages now. And you'd be lucky to pay 250 for a used SE. Really thought prices would drop with all the recent bad news, but there not much sign yet.

Need my wrecked Q5 to hang in there a bit longer!

Posted via CB10
    04-30-16 03:10 PM
    I have a PP but you're nuts if you pay retail for this right now. Really you're nuts if you get one now. The Nexus P for 449 is a good deal.

Posted via CB10
    04-30-16 04:25 PM
    Because there exist people unhinged enough to still pay that price 19 months after the phone came out?
    04-30-16 04:27 PM
    It's 18 months old and I saw several selling below $300 on CB.

Posted via CB10
    04-30-16 06:05 PM
    And the AT&T version is real good. A shame it took a carrier to tell BlackBerry how to make the phone better. At least BlackBerry listened to its customer for a change.

Posted via CB10
    04-30-16 06:07 PM