the simplicity keeps the device clean and neat.
    I do missed the alt hard keys but I love my SE as much without it.

Posted via  Blackberry Passport (SE) - Singapore
    09-11-15 04:57 AM
    To be honest I've never used a Passport, but I can't see myself being as fast and efficient on a half-physical, half-virtual keyboard as I am on my Q10. It's a shame because I love everything else on the Passport.

Forgive my typos, I don't look when I type
    09-11-15 07:18 AM
    I actually love the three rows. It makes you realize how obsolete the shift is now a days. Just hold the key down a second longer and you have a capitolized letter.

I mean it works because of the capacitive keyboard. Don't know if it would work so well on those tiny iPhones

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    09-11-15 07:35 AM
    The people who don't like it are the people who don't know how to use it.
    3 days is not enough to switch from your years old habit of 4 rows to3 rows

There are plenty of shortcuts too. Swipe down for symbols, swipe left for word delete. There's no need for an 'alt' key
    Barbareren likes this.
    09-11-15 07:58 AM
    I came across this website to help today, not a replacement for the extra row but with some practice it makes it more tolerable than using visual keys. http://www.cio.com/article/2691208/b...shortcuts.html

Posted with my BlackBerry Passport SE.
    09-11-15 09:54 PM
    I came across this website to help today, not a replacement for the extra row but with some practice it makes it more tolerable than using visual keys. http://www.cio.com/article/2691208/b...shortcuts.html

If you're using a passport and haven't discovered these tips, it's obvious you would wish for a fourth row, and you really weren't paying attention as to why the touch enabled keyboard was made in the first place.
    Barbareren likes this.
    09-11-15 11:28 PM
    I just got my phone... I was attempting to be helpful unlike those who use forums simply to spew venom. Not everyone knows every little detail about their devices. Hopefully the article will be helpful to those who haven't discovered everything there is to know already.

09-11-15 11:38 PM
    I meant "alt" key. You know, tricks wouldn't be necessary if there was a simple, practical, intuitive, and doesn't-waste-screen-space alt key/fourth row. A partial virtual keyboard that uses up half the screen is not an improvement on this. I guess they were trying to be clever. It's especially absurd since the first downswipe allows you to use the pkb to type characters anyway.
    09-13-15 12:56 AM
    I prefer having just the three rows...
    You then get more screen and besides the virtual keyboard is great too.

My only grip with the virtual keyboard is where BlackBerry placed the 0 value, I'm used to the 0 always being at the bottom, so at time I put a ,(comma) rather than the 0

Posted from my Passport... You've been BlackBerried!
    Barbareren likes this.
    09-13-15 01:25 AM
    Alt key is still available. It's just on the virtual panel above the physical keys.
    It's the big up arrow. I use it in conjunction with the delete key to delete characters in front of the cursor

Posted via CB10
    09-13-15 01:32 AM
    I prefer having just the three rows...
    You then get more screen and besides the virtual keyboard is great too.

My only grip with the virtual keyboard is where BlackBerry placed the 0 value, I'm used to the 0 always being at the bottom, so at time I put a ,(comma) rather than the 0

That was my pet peeve at first but after a month I completely adjusted. It's weird typing a zero on a classic now.

Posted via CB10
    09-13-15 01:34 AM
    Back in April when I got the passport I thought this 4 row keyboard was horrific. Now I can't imagine being without it. Love it.

Posted via CB10
    09-13-15 05:11 AM
    I was at that point too where I wished for another row, but during the last week (second week on PP) I found myself being more easy than with my Q10 - I think it also takes some muscles to adopt in your fingers and hand
    09-13-15 09:58 AM
    @sumyong thanks for the input here - me too looking for a manual or guidance, using %b or even other macros, but could not find anything. Could you advice on how to get the following:
    ae = �
    oe = �
    ue = �

I can get it but only with a space jump, so I always need to back space, as those combos are actually only at beginning of words or in the middle in German language.
    09-13-15 10:14 AM
    I was at that point too where I wished for another row, but during the last week (second week on PP) I found myself being more easy than with my Q10 - I think it also takes some muscles to adopt in your fingers and hand
    It seems that way to me too, the first few days my hands and fingers were cramping but they seem to be getting more used to the phone size and different keyboard. I still think it's faster just having all the keys but I can see why they wanted to keep the size and shape and leave off that row.
    09-13-15 11:11 AM
    I have my Passport since yesterday. Barely been using it for 24 hours and I'm almost completely used to the keyboard, still working on using all functions like swiping up to input words. But the typing is already very good, I thought it would be days or even weeks before I got used to it but it's not!

I think it's really nice and a good improvement over the Q10 keyboard. But that's mainly because of the size of the phone. I'm also glad they didn't add a ton off features for the gesture part because that'll get to much imho.

Posted via CB10
    09-13-15 01:12 PM
    Alt key is still available. It's just on the virtual panel above the physical keys.
    It's the big up arrow. I use it in conjunction with the delete key to delete characters in front of the cursor

Posted via CB10
    That's the shift key...

And if you don't want to mess with the VKB, a swipe down emulates the functionality of an alt key, but for only one character (a headache if you're writing a long string of numbers, which requires a press and hold of the @123 button).

Basically, an alt key would make a world of difference. I'd like a physical shift key for highlighting and forward-deleting too.

Posted via CB10
    09-13-15 02:35 PM
    I just got my phone... I was attempting to be helpful unlike those who use forums simply to spew venom. Not everyone knows every little detail about their devices. Hopefully the article will be helpful to those who haven't discovered everything there is to know already.

Sorry I meant 'you' as in those who haven't seen it! I meant to be appreciative of your post
    09-13-15 03:29 PM

Thanks for finding this and sharing it for those who are still learning to be efficient and effective with their Passports.

 Posted via CB10 on my Q10 
    09-13-15 03:36 PM
    @sumyong thanks for the input here - me too looking for a manual or guidance, using %b or even other macros, but could not find anything. Could you advice on how to get the following:
    ae = �
    oe = �
    ue = �

I can get it but only with a space jump, so I always need to back space, as those combos are actually only at beginning of words or in the middle in German language.
    Hi nimra!
    You asked how to get these accents over the letters...
    The way I would do this is long hold the letter:
    ae = �. I would long hold (hold down the key) the letter A, then you get options for alternate accents
    oe = �. Hold down the O key and keep typing after selecting the accent to use
    ue = �. Likewise with the U and keep typing to add letters to the word!

I hope this is what you were asking? =)

09-13-15 05:30 PM
    I want a Passport with a VKB. Just cannot get as fast with t:he PKB. Also make many more mistakes. Miss the single word flicking.

Posted via CB10
    09-13-15 05:34 PM
    The Passport would have to be lengthened in proportion to accommodate that fourth row, otherwise the phone would look ugly as sin. I wouldn't mind the larger format personally.

I've always had a healthy respect for larger, heavier phones. They force you to handle them with care, lest they fly out of your hand and break in some kind of catastrophic matter.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport Red Edition
    09-13-15 05:40 PM
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion...however, 4 rows would SUCK. The phone would have to be longer or else lose screen real estate. Not good.

Posted via CB10
    Barbareren likes this.
    09-13-15 05:52 PM
    @ mad_mdx
    I am on the PP since 2 weeks and 2 days and had a Q10 for only two weeks before the PP - I love the PP and I am eating up all kind of tricks for the keyboard, as I love it - and those tips are great even if many were a repetition i did not know e.g. that you could capture pictures with the volume keys - did you know that?
    @CCLady
    Thanks, your help is appreciated!
    09-13-15 06:46 PM
    Personally I love the BlackBerry Passport in every way possible except the keyboard, I tried using it but just couldn't fall in love it, like I did with the 4 row keyboards.
    If BlackBerry every made a Passport with a 4 row keyboard, I swear I would the first one in line to buy em regardless of the Price
    I agree. Add a trackpad and I'd be in heaven.

BlackBerryaholic by choice.
    09-13-15 06:51 PM
93 1234