I tried to kill my Passports battery! I took it off the charger around 6:00AM yesterday. Did basic browsing until around 10:30AM then played music continually until 2:30PM. Then did basic browsing until 9PM when I ran StumbleUpon until 10:30PM when the battery reached 20%. Rather than put it on the charger overnight. I read it might be good to let your batteries run to empty a few times a year. Then charge them. So, this morning after letting it sit on I figured I'd find it dead with fatal led blinking but nooo, still came right on. With just a few percent remaining I finally plugged it into the charger. There is no better phone in the world then Passport! Additional: I did have phone on auto battery so at 20% it started protection so it probably would have gone all the way down.
    Last edited by mawil1013; 06-02-16 at 10:41 AM.
    JG_Agustin likes this.
    06-02-16 07:03 AM
    letting it go to 0 is not good. glad your experiment worked for you.
    06-02-16 07:25 AM
    I tried to kill my Passports battery! I took it off the charger around 6:00AM yesterday. Did basic browsing until around 10:30AM then played music continually until 2:30PM. Then did basic browsing until 9PM when I ran StumbleUpon until 10:30PM when the battery reached 20%. Rather than put it on the charger overnight. I read it might be good to let your batteries run to empty a few times a year. Then charge them. So, this morning after letting it sit on I figured I'd find it dead with fatal led blinking but nooo, still came right on. With just a few percent remaining I finally plugged it into the charger. There is no better phone in the world then Passport!
    Can you share your battery monitor,

Here is mine

I Tried To Kill My Passport......-img_20160602_160753.png

Posted via CB10
    06-02-16 07:38 AM
    letting it go to 0 is not good. glad your experiment worked for you.
    Can you refer me to the research on that? Sounds interesting!
    06-02-16 07:42 AM
    I Tried To Kill My Passport......-tmp_32027-img_20160602_0840401975613550.jpg
    Here is pic of last 24 hours.
    06-02-16 08:11 AM
    I tried to kill my Passports battery! I took it off the charger around 6:00AM yesterday. Did basic browsing until around 10:30AM then played music continually until 2:30PM. Then did basic browsing until 9PM when I ran StumbleUpon until 10:30PM when the battery reached 20%. Rather than put it on the charger overnight. I read it might be good to let your batteries run to empty a few times a year. Then charge them. So, this morning after letting it sit on I figured I'd find it dead with fatal led blinking but nooo, still came right on. With just a few percent remaining I finally plugged it into the charger. There is no better phone in the world then Passport! Additional: I did have phone on auto battery so at 20% it started protection so it probably would have gone all the way down.
    You should never discharge a lithium ion battery to 0. A good rule of thumb for these batteries is to shallow discharge and recharge at about 40% if possible. The fewer times you go below 20% the better. Unlike nickel, which should be discharged fully, lithium batteries have no memory effect and thus should not be fully discharged. A simple web search will give you this info with varying degrees of difference, but the general consensus is in that 20% discharge range.
    DaFoxGrey likes this.
    06-02-16 11:27 AM
    Ask Ars: The best way to use a lithium-ion battery, redux | Ars Technica

I have been taught rightfully and concede that not running a Li io battery to zero often is a bad thing!
    06-02-16 01:28 PM
    BlackBerry advises to charge your battery often, for at least 15 minutes every time. They are also advising to charge it before it's less than 50%.

Posted via CB10
    06-02-16 01:53 PM
    I let my phone go below 20% all the time. The batter lasts somewhere between 35-40hours. And I never had any issues by discharging it below to 20%

Posted via CB10
    06-02-16 06:56 PM
    My battery drains to below 20% each day before I hit the hay, unless I charge it during the day. Of course, I have a very weak to nonexistent cell signal in the office all day long, am on WiFi as a result, run Blend all day, have four email accounts...lots of heavy drain.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639 posted via CB10
    06-02-16 09:55 PM
    I let my phone go below 20% all the time. The batter lasts somewhere between 35-40hours. And I never had any issues by discharging it below to 20%

Posted via CB10
    My explanation above is "ideally" and does not happen in real life situations every single day. If you follow those rules the odds are that you will MAXIMIZE the life of your battery. I have had times when my battery has gone down to 5% as well. The average lithium ion battery is capable of 500 recharges give or take. The closer you can follow those guidelines, increases your chance of getting beyond those 500 charges. Of course every battery is a little different so we are talking generalities here. I am up to 336 on my cycle count.
    06-02-16 10:29 PM
    . I am up to 336 on my cycle count.
    How can I find my cycle count?

Passport / SQW 100-1 / 10.3.2.2813
    06-03-16 12:08 AM
    Nevermind, found it with Battery Guru, it says 409 cycles so I beat Brookie

Was wondering because my battery doesn't seem to last as long now but could be because I keep adding android apps.

06-03-16 12:23 AM
    While keeping the battery as fully charged up as possible may extend the overall life of the battery, it kills your actual usable life.

From my experience Lithium batteries like Nickel-metal Hydride need to be given a thrashing from time to time. Charge it up to full, heavily discharged to empty and charged to full a few times.

I do this when my phone starts draining the battery too quickly and can get it back up to lasting about 3 days.

Also no matter what battery it is(unless is a lead acid/car battery), after about a year or so the overall capacity drops to around 60-80%.

But then my view on everything is, you get it to use it, not keep it locked up for show.

CB10 on BlackBerry Passport SE
    Last edited by ctclothbagco; 06-03-16 at 05:50 AM.
    06-03-16 05:28 AM
    Ok, so, its three years from now and say my PP battery is shot. Can it be easily replaced at home?
    06-03-16 05:49 AM
    Ok, so, its three years from now and say my PP battery is shot. Can it be easily replaced at home?
    I would not say "easily", but with the right tools and some patience it can be done by anyone with some proper instruction. Luckily we have YouTube for that.
    06-03-16 07:18 AM

Was wondering because my battery doesn't seem to last as long now but could be because I keep adding android apps.

Lol! When did you buy your Passport? I bought mine on Oct 20, 2014. My battery seems as good now as when I first bought it.
    06-03-16 07:21 AM
    While keeping the battery as fully charged up as possible may extend the overall life of the battery, it kills your actual usable life.
    This is also true--you should never keep a lithium battery fully charged and also when you remove a lithium battery for storage, store it in a cool (not cold) place at around 70% charged. Every so often these stored batteries should be topped up to the 70% level.
    06-03-16 07:39 AM
    I'd like to try Battery Guru to keep note of my cycles, but there are a few apps on Google Play with that name. Which 'Battery Guru' did you install?
    06-03-16 11:18 AM
    I'd like to try Battery Guru to keep note of my cycles, but there are a few apps on Google Play with that name. Which 'Battery Guru' did you install?
    I think he is using the app from BBW.
    06-03-16 11:26 AM
    I think he is using the app from BBW.
    Oh, I see -- that helps in cutting down my search, lol. Thanks. Is that the same one that you use, too?
    06-03-16 11:36 AM
    Oh, I see -- that helps in cutting down my search, lol. Thanks. Is that the same one that you use, too?
    I have Battery Guru in my Playbook. But I have Battery Fiction Pro in my Passport. It was a free promotion a few months ago so I grabbed the coupon code. I think you can get the cycle count from the free Lite version of Battery Fiction as well.
    LG8 likes this.
    06-03-16 11:40 AM
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...snapdragon.app. This is the only one that im aware of but its an Android App,
    LG8 likes this.
    06-03-16 11:44 AM
    This is also true--you should never keep a lithium battery fully charged and also when you remove a lithium battery for storage, store it in a cool (not cold) place at around 70% charged. Every so often these stored batteries should be topped up to the 70% level.
    And they apparently don't hold their charge for long in storage once they have been used for a few years.

I pulled my Plan Treo out after about five years in storage, popped the battery in and it was at 50%.

I just pulled out my Z10 after 2 months in storage and the battery was down to 25% (I know it was full ). Probable a result of almost three years of draining it down to 10% to 15% every day.
    06-03-16 11:51 AM
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...snapdragon.app. This is the only one that im aware of but its an Android App,
    Thanks for the link. When I typed 'Battery Guru' into Google Play, I saw a few of them come up under that name, and it made my head spin trying to figure out which was best, lol. So, maybe I'll try the apps on BBW first and see how those work out.

I have Battery Guru in my Playbook. But I have Battery Fiction Pro in my Passport. It was a free promotion a few months ago so I grabbed the coupon code. I think you can get the cycle count from the free Lite version of Battery Fiction as well.
    From your experience, do you like Guru or Fiction Pro better?
    06-03-16 12:00 PM
38 12