When I heard the language detection feature described, I thought it was really cool, but I realized it wasn't what I thought it was.

It works only among the languages using the Latin alphabets.

That being said, I don't see why they couldn't implement the feature between Latin alphabet languages and non-Latin alphabet languages. The same principle would apply in implementing it. You start typing, and if it's a gobbledygook in one language, the system would check if the sequence typed is, in another language's key layout, a word in that language. I mean, Google does this (at least from another language -> English).

What's already there is pretty neat too, but I wonder why they didn't take this additional logical step.
    10-09-14 12:05 PM
    They may add more in the future. I would expect additional languages are a huge investment in time and programing. So I guess they just started with Latin based.

Oh and check that the language you want is one of the three you can have loaded.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-14 01:41 PM
    It's not a logical next step...
    Why would I start typing in English letters if I want to send a message in Arabic for example.
    This would mean that I know exactly the keyboard layout for the non-Latin language and then it would mean that while I'm typing the keyboard will automatically change to that language ?
    I can't imagine how annoying it would be to have to erase a word if the prediction is wrong and then to have to switch the keyboard layout on top of it

Posted via CB10
    10-09-14 02:47 PM
    It's not a logical next step...
    Why would I start typing in English letters if I want to send a message in Arabic for example.
    Of course it is.
    Why would you? Of course you wouldn't deliberately. You don't know which language your keybord is set to, you start typing in Arabic and after you relentlessly pounded away a couple of words, you realize the keyboard layout was English. Now you gotta delete what you just typed and restart.
    Happens a lot if you are, for instance, typing without looking at your device (which is one of the greatest things that a physical keyboard lets you do, that a virtual keyboard can't, remember?) or generally because the physical keyboard doesn't tell you which language layout it is set to currently.

This would mean that I know exactly the keyboard layout for the non-Latin language and then it would mean that while I'm typing the keyboard will automatically change to that language ?
    That's right. I mean, if you use a language other than the one that uses Latin alphabet, you just know the key layout in that language, even if the keys may not have the markings on them.

I can't imagine how annoying it would be to have to erase a word if the prediction is wrong and then to have to switch the keyboard layout on top of it

Posted via CB10
    How would it be annoying? It would be the greatest help.

I often switch between Korean and English on my devices.
    Oftentimes, before I know, when I intend to type something in English, the keyboard is set to Korean layout, so I often do something like this:

ㅑ 해 새 ㄴ쵀ㅐㅣ

What I just typed above is an English sentence, "I go to school", but in Korean keyboard layout. If BB could detect that this string of characters makes no sense in Korean, and see if the string of keys, if it were types on English layout keyboard, would make sense and based on that, automatically switch to English (both the keyboard layout and what's already been typed), that would be awesome.

Likewise, I often write something in Korean, but before I realize that the keyboard layout is still in English.

wlqdp rkffo.

I just typed "집에 갈래", which means "I wanna go home" in Korean, but on English key layout.

I start typing, and my hands get ahead of my visual perception, and I easily start typing a few words before I realized I am in the wrong language layout, in which situation I would need to go back, delete and start over.

It would be really non-demanding on the system too, since the only two languages whose dictionary the system has to check would be English and Korean (in my case - will depend on which languages you have set up on your system, obviously). Just checking two dictionaries, which is what BB10 is otherwise already doing, when it's making autocomplete suggestions for every word you type and detecting other (Latin alphabet) lanugages.

This is not as big a problem for virtual keyboards, since the keys dynamically change to the language that the keyboard is set to - not so for a physical keyboard like Passport's. No matter which language the keyboard layout is set to, the physical markings on the keys will not change and there isn't a way to tell which language you are in.
    Last edited by mofokey; 10-10-14 at 06:46 AM.
    10-10-14 06:30 AM