Blackberry seal? What is that? A piece of sticky tape on top of the original tape which is cut open? Seriously?
    Did you see that the pics which shows the screen protectors having smudges in them? Did they open the box, updated the OS, used it for few days to check if its fine and then keep it back? Can you explain how the 'FACTORY' screen protectors got lint in first place?

I 'PAID' for a new phone and the contents that came along with it. The box, the seal, the instruction manual and whatever comes along with the phone. I dint pay for a box which is beat up, double sealed, a questionable phone etc.

I am not going to answer to the troll posts anymore.

BlackBerry's customer loyalty team had personally shipped me a new phone today and its on the way. I will be returning this one once I get the new one.
    Boy you must really have difficulty shopping for clothing! With all the people having tried the clothing on before you buy it.

So if there is lint on the phone it's not new?

Posted via CB10
    BBRYQ10 likes this.
    04-15-15 10:13 PM
    This is why I always recommend keeping your previous phone as a backup. You could switch back to it while getting a replacement.
    04-16-15 06:06 AM
    Announcer on Sportsnet was using one during his pregame talk. Before the Montreal vs Ottawa playoff game. He was using it to look up stats and what not.

Posted via CB10
    m3mb3rsh1p and BBRYQ10 like this.
    04-16-15 07:27 AM
    Companies with decent customer service infrastructure won't bill you for the replacement until 30 days of not receiving the old unit back: or at least they tie the new order to the RMA so that they expedite the RMA refund.

OP, I believe that you are asking DR to do something their infrastructure doesn't allow for, or is not in BlackBerry's contract with them. Blame BlackBerry, blame DR, but complaining about or "sticking to your principles" will do you absolutely positively no good and you are spending a lot of time and energy on this pointless endeavour: this isn't a civil rights precedent case you're fighting here: let it go.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-15 09:48 AM
    Whatever. Opened and played with is used, to me. Obviously it's not to other people. And that's all that matters with stuff like this, the customers opinion.
    The PlayBook's were upgraded to 2.0.x when that became available, which required breaking the seal and re-sealing. This was done at the factory or warehouse. Are those devices still considered new?

When you go to a car dealership, some of the cars have been test driven, or at the very least, someone drove them onto the lot. Are those cars considered new?

Yes, customer opinions matter, but are all customers reasonable?
    04-16-15 10:59 AM
    The PlayBook's were upgraded to 2.0.x when that became available, which required breaking the seal and re-sealing. This was done at the factory or warehouse. Are those devices still considered new?

When you go to a car dealership, some of the cars have been test driven, or at the very least, someone drove them onto the lot. Are those cars considered new?

Yes, customer opinions matter, but are all customers reasonable?
    Car is the best analogy. Every Ferrari is test driven on a track before its sold. I think they do 50 km with them. So is that considered used OP?

I actually think that the little touch of upgrading the software for you is actually a value added service. The phone is ready to be used as soon as you receive it.

Posted via CB10
    BBRYQ10 likes this.
    04-16-15 11:06 AM
    Car is the best analogy. Every Ferrari is test driven on a track before its sold. I think they do 50 km with them. So is that considered used OP?

I actually think that the little touch of upgrading the software for you is actually a value added service. The phone is ready to be used as soon as you receive it.

Posted via CB10
    But every phone is not tested before selling It to the customer. Anyways BlackBerry shipped a new device.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-15 11:18 AM

Posted via CB10
    I come from the iPhone/windows ecosystem. I had never seen damaged/dirty packages/phones ever shipped to me. Testing is part of the manufacturing process and that should produce an impeccable product to the customer.

Posted via CB10
    wolfpacal likes this.
    04-16-15 11:24 AM
    I got red passport and I got it shop blackberry. It was brand new.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-15 11:36 AM
    I had to give my credit card info to Amazon and they could send me a new one on the same exact day. It's my responsibility to make sure that I send the defective one back so I will ensure that I won't get charged. What I don't understand is that for as long as this thread had been going, this is a simple issue that could of been resolved. Grow up and do the right thing, or just get an iPhone and call it the day.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-15 11:38 AM
    For all I know all this could of been made up.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-15 11:40 AM
    I got a red passport as well from shop blackberry the backsticker cane off pretty easily and the battery seemed a little short but not nearly as bad as yours. I also consider myself a heavy user especially with the first day with the device.yesterday i used about 80 % on a single charge but that was over 12 13 hours so i think thats reasonable. Also im sure theres indexing in the first couple days that eats extra battery.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-15 12:08 PM
    For all I know all this could of been made up.

Posted via CB10
    What do you mean by made up?

Posted via CB10
    04-16-15 05:47 PM
    I don't see the point in arguing any of this. Anyone that would say OP received a device in acceptable condition can be laughed away immediately. Used or not used it's unacceptable. If it were the NSA opening the box these same people would be barking a different song. Do we really need to talk about why it's important that a company that markets themselves as the upper echelon of security focuses not ship open broken sealed hardware?

http://gizmodo.com/the-nsa-actually-...ors-1491169592

Posted via CB10
    This is actually a terrible analogy. A $200,000 vehicle getting testing from the manufacturer to verify that hundreds of moving machined parts sing in harmony together while managing a combustible engine creating thousands of precise explosions turning 4 wheels at 500HP while simultaneously verifying the vehicle isn't going to murder the customer is hardly the same as cracking open a seal on a $500 piece of electronics to press the update button. Are you serious? You can bet your *** that if the car came with keymarks a flat tire and a dirty floor board that it'd get returned as well.
    vanmat likes this.
    04-16-15 05:49 PM
    I don't see the point in arguing any of this. Anyone that would say OP received a device in acceptable condition can be laughed away immediately. Used or not used it's unacceptable. If it were the NSA opening the box these same people would be barking a different song. Do we really need to talk about why it's important that a company that markets themselves as the upper echelon of security focuses not ship open broken sealed hardware?

The NSA Actually Intercepted Packages to Put Backdoors in Electronics
    If the NSA left tell-tale signs that they opened the packaging to install backdoors, then they're doing a pretty poor job.

The OP saw that the packaging was scuffed, yet had no problem with it. The OP saw that the Passport had lint on it, yet had no problem with continuing further. How far did he need to go to determine that it's "used"? Other people have confirmed that they've received scuffed packaging, re-seals, and their Passports were absolutely new, since they were in the *first* shipment of the device.

This is actually a terrible analogy. A $200,000 vehicle getting testing from the manufacturer to verify that hundreds of moving machined parts sing in harmony together while managing a combustible engine creating thousands of precise explosions turning 4 wheels at 500HP while simultaneously verifying the vehicle isn't going to murder the customer is hardly the same as cracking open a seal on a $500 piece of electronics to press the update button. Are you serious? You can bet your *** that if the car came with keymarks a flat tire and a dirty floor board that it'd get returned as well.
    You're missing the point. It's not about comparing a $200K car and a $500 phone. The point is, would you consider something that the manufacturer has done something to, after leaving the assembly line, new? My analogy was actually about a car in a dealer's lot. It had to be driven onto the lot. There's dirt on the tires. Is it still new?

For your analogy about the flat tire and dirty floor board, what would you expect the dealer to do? Offer a refund? Digital River did that. Exchange the car? Digital River did that. Are you entitled to drive around in the car and expect the manufacturer to send you another car without assurances that you'll return the current one you're using?

Given what we know about how difficult it is to get updates on BlackBerry's, going back and updating Passports sitting in warehouses seems to be the best solution for customers to have the best experience out-of-the-box.
    04-16-15 07:50 PM
    Are you entitled to drive around in the car and expect the manufacturer to send you another car without assurances that you'll return the current one you're using?

Given what we know about how difficult it is to get updates on BlackBerry's, going back and updating Passports sitting in warehouses seems to be the best solution for customers to have the best experience out-of-the-box.
    If you buy a device from BlackBerry it could not be simpler to update, and if they're bent on doing this in a warehouse they should be replacing the boxes and seals. Shipping a new product out with the appearance of a shoddy ebay transaction is not ok. Maybe they should just wrap them up in yesterday's newspaper with rubber bands.
    You'd be offered a rental or temporary car if returning it for sure. Almost all manufacturers have in their eula or purchase agreements "do not use if seal is broken" this is not an isolated incident, this seems to be standard operations for digital river, which makes the larger point. Why can't BlackBerry get control of almost any aspect of the sell through process? Slaves to carriers, slaves to distributors. There's 50 middlemen in between me and a new BlackBerry. The digital river website is awful, doesn't even load properly in a BlackBerry browser, their customer service and shipping times are well documented as horrific on these forums and I've experienced it myself. BlackBerry needs to ditch digital river.
    Tell me, if I get a BlackBerry device with the seal broken and box open that has fingerprints all over it, how am I to trust all of my information to that device?
    04-16-15 08:06 PM
    If you buy a device from BlackBerry it could not be simpler to update,
    Yet there are still people who come here and complain about the OS being buggy... then they're told, there's an update. People don't necessarily know to update out-of-the-box. Also, I noticed that you restricted it to BlackBerry purchased devices. For carriers, there are a lot of people who use whatever they get and not update.

and if they're bent on doing this in a warehouse they should be replacing the boxes and seals.
    They're replacing seals, but not boxes. Replacing boxes seems completely wasteful. It's for appearances only.

I would be in favor of new seals being a sticker that says, "Opened and updated to OS 10.X at factory/warehouse. Product is new."

Shipping a new product out with the appearance of a shoddy ebay transaction is not ok.
    Yes, duh.

You'd be offered a rental or temporary car if returning it for sure. Almost all manufacturers have in their eula or purchase agreements "do not use if seal is broken" this is not an isolated incident, this seems to be standard operations for digital river, which makes the larger point. Why can't BlackBerry get control of almost any aspect of the sell through process? Slaves to carriers, slaves to distributors. There's 50 middlemen in between me and a new BlackBerry. The digital river website is awful, doesn't even load properly in a BlackBerry browser, their customer service and shipping times are well documented as horrific on these forums and I've experienced it myself. BlackBerry needs to ditch digital river.
    Many customers, like yourself, have had bad experiences. Did you just fold and comply to whatever Digital River asked of you? That's what the OP is claiming, that his stand is for all the people like yourself who quietly let Digital River run all over you.

No, I suspect you and many others have complained to BlackBerry.

Tell me, if I get a BlackBerry device with the seal broken and box open that has fingerprints all over it, how am I to trust all of my information to that device?
    Even if the box was pristine, how would you know 100% that the NSA hadn't already been there?

If it was standard practice for BlackBerry/Digital River to open seals to update the contents and re-seal it /and/ it was well known that they did it, then no one would bat an eye at seeing resealed boxes. Everyone would know that the devices are still new, without a previous owner.

The description of what the OP received sounds the same as some of the other purchases who were in the first wave, when no used units existed yet. How do you explain that?
    04-16-15 08:47 PM
    Somewhere right around after connecting to wifi my Passport wanted to update to the latest OS out of the box. Wasn't difficult.

I don't get my they would go through the time, effort, and expense to reopen Passport's sitting in warehouses to update them. You don't know exactly how long they're going to sit there so whats the point.
    04-16-15 09:19 PM
    Somewhere right around after connecting to wifi my Passport wanted to update to the latest OS out of the box. Wasn't difficult.

I don't get my they would go through the time, effort, and expense to reopen Passport's sitting in warehouses to update them. You don't know exactly how long they're going to sit there so whats the point.
    You update them just prior to shipping out, with whatever is the latest at the time.

The original PlayBooks came with 1.0.x and before you could even use it, i.e. just play with it a little after unboxing, you had to connect to wi-fi and update the OS (which can take an hour+ with slow internet). Later PlayBooks came with 2.x pre-installed and if there was an update, it was much smaller and quicker to install.

People do have an expectation that after opening the box, they should be able to use it right away without much hassle. You can read up on the PlayBook, PS3, PS4, Xbox, etc. on zero day updates.
    04-16-15 09:28 PM
    Yet there are still people who come here and complain about the OS being buggy... then they're told, there's an update. People don't necessarily know to update out-of-the-box.
    BTW, you are assuming that the box was opened so that the OS gets updated. The OP noted in an earlier post that the Life Data option is not available in the Settings->About page. This indicates that the software running on that Passport is the original released software and not a later revision. The Life Data option was added as part of the first Passport update. With this information, I don't see why the seal would be broken other than if the unit was a returned unit.
    04-16-15 09:35 PM
    BTW, you are assuming that the box was opened so that the OS gets updated. The OP noted in an earlier post that the Life Data option is not available in the Settings->About page. This indicates that the software running on that Passport is the original released software and not a later revision. The Life Data option was added as part of the first Passport update. With this information, I don't see why the seal would be broken other than if the unit was a returned unit.
    We have no idea why the box was opened and resealed... just as we have no idea why people who received the first batch of Passports also had resealed boxes. There were no used Passports at that point.

The OS update is a possible reason, as that's what happened to the PlayBooks.

Also, this illustrates why the OS should be updated prior to shipping. The OP didn't update the OS and had complaints about the OS.
    04-17-15 12:29 AM
    Blackberry have apologised and agreed to replace it. What's the problem?

BLΛCKBΣЯЯY ⓟⓐⓢⓢⓟⓞⓡⓣ
    04-17-15 12:49 AM
    I got my passport from shopblackberry.ca few days ago, very fast 3 days shipping. Box is double tapped but the phone looks ok to me just alitte bit loose on charging port. When I turned on the phone and went to settings I found that boot time is Aug 2014 which surprised me a little bit.
    Guys is it normal or should I request refund? If I send it back do I need to pay for the shipping fee? I live in Vancouver canada

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    04-17-15 10:16 AM
    I think including the large original posts + pics for a two sentence or less comment is not necessary but unfortunately rampant on this site.
    04-17-15 12:47 PM
    I got my passport from shopblackberry.ca few days ago, very fast 3 days shipping. Box is double tapped but the phone looks ok to me just alitte bit loose on charging port. When I turned on the phone and went to settings I found that boot time is Aug 2014 which surprised me a little bit.
    Guys is it normal or should I request refund? If I send it back do I need to pay for the shipping fee? I live in Vancouver canada
    Boot time is the last time it was turned on. This means it hasn't been turned on since August 2014, which pre-dates the Passport release, September 24, 2014. The date you're seeing is probably when it was tested.

You could update the OS and see if there's Life Data under Settings->About to see if it's new enough for you.

If you think the charging port is going to be an issue, then return it for another one. You may find the next one to be just as loose. Who knows if that's just the normal build on the port? It'll just cost you some time and perhaps hassle. If that's worth it for you, go for it.

From the reports, you'll have a choice of returning the unit, then receiving another one OR ordering another one and returning this one within 30 days. I don't know if they'll send you a pre-paid shipping label or not. I haven't had to return anything to them.
    eddycheng likes this.
    04-17-15 05:51 PM
185 ... 5678