My passport from Vodafone appeared used too...

The box was a piece of crap, all washed out... the phone itself seemed brand new but the volume buttons rattled like a childs toy, so I sent it back...

This time got replacement, the box wasn't even a Blackberry box, it was a Vodafone branded box with a Passport inside, the handset was more solid but the signs of it being used was where I thought it would be... the back door cover where someone struggled to get it open, there were a few scuffs on the inside of the door. Obviously used and sent back / repaired.

I kept hold of it as everything else seems fine, can't be bothered sending back and forward as they are ****e at dealing with that stuff, plus I got a pretty decent 4G package at a nice price.
    04-14-15 12:52 PM
    He could authorize them to charge his credit card for the full amount of a new phone should he not return the old one, which is the same as ordering a new one and returning the old one, other than semantics.
    I believe he said he did this. But if he did, not sure what the problem is. DR would comply unless they feared he'd dispute the charge once new phone received and old one not returned. But even then the cc company would only hold it for so long then give DR their $$
    04-14-15 12:53 PM
    OP got his refund from Discover. He said he won't return the Passport because he's "protecting" other people from the same hassles. He says Digital River needs to be punished.

OP, now that you have your refund, are you going to return the Passport to Digital River after you've bought another one from somewhere else? Or are you going to disappear?
    Do you even know what a credit card dispute is?
    If not please do...

Posted via CB10
    04-14-15 12:57 PM
    I don't see where he mentioned he got the refund.
    Last sentence:

"Just wanted to let you know that Discover had raised a dispute against the transaction and credited the amount back to my account. Lets see what happens."
    04-14-15 01:01 PM
    Do you even know what a credit card dispute is?
    If not please do...
    Are you saying that you didn't get the amount credited back to your account? And that you will once the dispute is complete?

Should you get your credit, will you be returning the Passport? And then what? Will you be ordering from Amazon?
    04-14-15 01:04 PM
    Many companies outsource their online store presence to Digital River including Microsoft Store. I believe it is BlackBerry's policy that is being duly carried out by Digital River. So the blame is on BlackBerry the company for having such a bad policy for its online store presence and BlackBerry is not well known for having great customer service, and often the opposite is true. Hypothetically thinking, even if BlackBerry outsource their online store to some other company, the experience probably would still be bad all the same.
    04-14-15 01:05 PM
    My passport from Vodafone appeared used too...

The box was a piece of crap, all washed out... the phone itself seemed brand new but the volume buttons rattled like a childs toy, so I sent it back...

This time got replacement, the box wasn't even a Blackberry box, it was a Vodafone branded box with a Passport inside, the handset was more solid but the signs of it being used was where I thought it would be... the back door cover where someone struggled to get it open, there were a few scuffs on the inside of the door. Obviously used and sent back / repaired.

I kept hold of it as everything else seems fine, can't be bothered sending back and forward as they are ****e at dealing with that stuff, plus I got a pretty decent 4G package at a nice price.
    This is why you're better off buying new and then returning the old one, instead of exchanging, as exchanges are done at their discretion, replacing with new or "like new". It's usually in the fine print.
    04-14-15 01:10 PM
    Are you saying that you didn't get the amount credited back to your account? And that you will once the dispute is complete?

Should you get your credit, will you be returning the Passport? And then what? Will you be ordering from Amazon?
    Dispute isn't a simple process. The credit card company had temporarily issued back the amount they charged hoping that I am true. They will write a letter to shopblackberry/digital river about the said transaction. The Merchant has all the powers to prove that the buyer is wrong and get back the amount. As per my understanding, digital river would call me about the same and we will have to settle down on something. When they call me, I am going to ask them to send a new phone and will return this one once I get it. I am not benefited in anyways.
    04-14-15 01:29 PM
    Dispute isn't a simple process. The credit card company had temporarily issued back the amount they charged hoping that I am true. They will write a letter to shopblackberry/digital river about the said transaction. The Merchant has all the powers to prove that the buyer is wrong and get back the amount. As per my understanding, digital river would call me about the same and we will have to settle down on something. When they call me, I am going to ask them to send a new phone and will return this one once I get it. I am not benefited in anyways.
    You're going through this process so that they will send you a new phone first, without getting an agreement that if you don't return the old one, they'll be able to charge you for the old one?
    04-14-15 01:35 PM
    This is why you're better off buying new and then returning the old one, instead of exchanging, as exchanges are done at their discretion, replacing with new or "like new". It's usually in the fine print.
    I got the phone as part of a contract upgrade. The first handset should of been new, the second looks new but I know it isn't. I don't really mind really, I'm happy with the phone, my Z10 was on its last legs, not enough power behind it.
    04-14-15 01:43 PM
    Been a fan of BB ever since I got z30. Its been a year with Z30 so I thought its time for upgrade.
    I was waiting for a z30 successor but BlackBerry doesn't seem to have any plans to release one in near future.

Looking at all those positive 5 star reviews in the net, I went a head and ordered a "Red - BlackBerry Passport". I placed the order in ShopBlackBerry website on Friday (04/03) and paid extra for 2 day shipping. Digital River managed to send me the device on Monday and it reached me on Wednesday (04/08). I was very excited to get my hands on the device and I felt it was a long wait . Had it been Amazon , I am sure I would have got it on Monday.

All my excitement came to an end when I opened the courier.

-> The box of the blackberry passport looked very beat up and a lot of discoloration on the edges and it looked as if it sat in a warehouse unsold for a long time.
    -> I noticed double taping on the box, the first one was cut with a knife and the second one came off so easily. Anyone would know that the box was open already
    -> I ignored the box as it is not something I am bothered about and went a head and unboxed it.
    -> The moment I opened it, I noticed a lot of dust on the phone
    -> The back sticker which is above the sim/memory card slot had a lot of smudges and lint as well. Another sign it was used
    -> Turned the device to the back and noticed that the sticker was not sticked properly
    -> On the sides of the phone, there were markings which showed that the device had a protecting cover on it.
    -> Turned on the device and set the time and everything. When I checked the boot time, it showed it as Jan. I freaking got this phone in April and also the time zone was somewhere in Ireland.

I am very disappointed with the BlackBerry's service. I can't believe that Shopblackberry which is blackberry's own site isn't performing the way it's suppose to be.

I called up the customer care and they apologized me for sending a used device and asked me to return the device for a new one.
    I told them, I dont have a phone as of now and I need this. Then they asked me to place another order for a new phone and return this one once I received the new phone which I am not ready to do. Though this is their mistake, they are not even trying to help us.

Selling a used product as new is illegal and they are suppose to rectify their mistake by doing what I ask them to do.

Now about the phone I received. Below are the problems I have identified so far,

-> Battery life is terrible. When I turned on the device, it had half the battery and it worked for another 2 hours before turning off. I charged it again and used it for browsing and listening to spotify on wifi and it turned off in just 5 hours. I haven't installed any sim card in it yet. I read through the forums and updated the OS to the latest, did a reset but nothing helped. Now the phone is running 10.3 with same old battery life
    -> Wifi doesn't work sometimes. Though it is connected to wifi, it simply refuses to connect to internet. My z30 works like a charm in the same wifi network.
    -> Camera - the worst I should say. If I turn the flash light on, I get yellow pics... seriously... worst...
    -> Restarting the phone takes forever. z30 takes 25% of the time my passport takes to boot up.
    -> I kind of like the keyboard though I feel it double types some times when I swipe up to select a word. Its weird. I can type much faster in Z30 but I think I would get used to passport in few days.
    -> I was expecting the passport's display to be in par/better than z30. But IPS display isn't something which can compete with AMOLED unfortunately. I could see a lot of grey while watching a movie

I don't know if its just this stupid device I received or its going to be the same in all the passport's. I did check AT&T passport in their store before finalizing and I felt it was better.

Long story short, I raised a dispute against blackberry transaction with discover, the credit card company I bought the stuff with.
    Raised a complaint in "Better business bureau (BBB)" against digital river inc...
    I thought of taking this to a small claims court but it looks like I have to spend half the amount I spent for passport.

Is there anything else I could do from my end?

Attached are the pics.

Thanks,
    Elango Attachment 347270 Attachment 347271 Attachment 347272 Attachment 347273 Attachment 347274 Attachment 347275
    Do you guys even understand that you are unknowingly supporting digital river to continue sending used devices as new? If I send this back, I am sure that its gonna end up with someone else. I got angry only because this is not the first time digital river is doing this to a customer. Unfortunately I read through the forums after I got the phone in my hand. Had it been amazon, I wouldn't even have complained about it here as I trust them and would have sent the device back.

You can consider something as a mistake only if they do it unknowingly. But digital river has done this to many customers and I am sure that they would have got 'n' number of calls about receiving a used item. Some might have returned it and got the money back and some might have fought against them.

If I send this back, it simply means that I am giving up and encouraging them to continue sending used items as new.

I would like to explain what I have asked them to do. I told them, send me a new phone and I will use this phone till I get the new one. Since they have my card already, I asked them to charge it if they don't get the item back. There is also a reason why I dint want to send this back. I gave my Z30 to a friend of mine who's phone broke recently and I won't be having anything to use if I give this back. If it was for Amazon, I am sure they wouldn't have bothered to do it.

I am a man of my words and I have better reputation than digital river in all means.

Please understand this is not just about money but its about a brand I love BLACKBERRY. I DON'T WANT DIGITAL RIVER TO SPOIL BLACKBERRY'S REPUTATION BY PROVIDING A PATHETIC SERVICE. The moment I got the phone, I wasn't angry at digital river but with Blackberry as I dint know that the fulfillment is taken care by digital river. I came to know about digital river only after receiving the phone. In fact I thought I should change the ecosystem as I felt letdown by BlackBerry. Its not blackberry's fault but digital river's. They should learn the lesson.

For those who are with me in this, thanks for your support.
    Just wanted to let you know that Discover had raised a dispute against the transaction and credited the amount back to my account. Lets see what happens.
    Hmmm.... So sorry to hear this OP. Indeed, let us see what happens
    moody likes this.
    04-14-15 01:44 PM
    I got the phone as part of a contract upgrade. The first handset should of been new, the second looks new but I know it isn't. I don't really mind really, I'm happy with the phone, my Z10 was on its last legs, not enough power behind it.
    Definitely not right of Vodafone. Glad you're happy with the Passport.

I've bought refurb units in the past and have been quite happy with them. In particular, I got a refurb Q10 with no double-type keyboard issues. I've read that some refurb Q10's get their keyboards replaced, so I might have avoided the whole double-type situation some people were having, as the replacement keyboard is probably a redesigned one.
    04-14-15 01:56 PM
    Definitely not right of Vodafone. Glad you're happy with the Passport.

I've bought refurb units in the past and have been quite happy with them. In particular, I got a refurb Q10 with no double-type keyboard issues. I've read that some refurb Q10's get their keyboards replaced, so I might have avoided the whole double-type situation some people were having, as the replacement keyboard is probably a redesigned one.
    I've had a refurb or two in the past, think it was the 9900 back then. I find the refurbs tend to be less prone to problems, almost as if they've been triple checked to some degree.

As for Vodafone, the contract deal was great, the service was sloppy as hell. I've no idea how they are still operating, their staff are incompetent, I felt embarrassed on their behalf when trying to deal with some of them, twice they posted the Passport next door instead of my house, that's just the beginning, so you can imagine why I'd rather stick to the working Passport than go through that ordeal again.
    04-14-15 02:08 PM
    Delete
    04-14-15 02:19 PM
    I've had bad experiences with different scenarios in life too. Difference being I do not go into a forum that literally can do nothing for me to create a thread indicating complaints that simply cannot be addressed by anybody in that forum (CrackBerry).
    Does anybody here represent Digital River? No.

If so, why are you in the CrackBerry forums and not working at your job Digital River hired you for? Or helping to improve these situations? Oh wait, it's because there isn't anybody from Digital River monitoring complaints made in another company's forum, my bad.

The best anybody here could do is suggest what's already been suggested, complain more, and exactly what the OP has already done as listed in the post! The only thing going on here is a person getting something off their chest by complaining as well as providing all the answers themselves before anybody can even finish reading the post. Again, there are really no solutions for you here.
    Sometimes it's good to talk, get things off your chest, spark some conversation... engage with the community on events good or bad.

A lot like your post, no solution to be found but therapeutic huh
    04-14-15 02:22 PM
    I've had bad experiences with different scenarios in life too. Difference being I do not go into a forum that literally can do nothing for me to create a thread indicating complaints that simply cannot be addressed by anybody in that forum (CrackBerry).
    Does anybody here represent Digital River? No.

If so, why are you in the CrackBerry forums and not working at your job Digital River hired you for? Or helping to improve these situations? Oh wait, it's because there isn't anybody from Digital River monitoring complaints made in another company's forum, my bad.

The best anybody here could do is suggest what's already been suggested, complain more, and exactly what the OP has already done as listed in the post! The only thing going on here is a person getting something off their chest by complaining as well as providing all the answers themselves before anybody can even finish reading the post. Again, there are really no solutions for you here.
    I just wanted to let everyone in the community about the issue I faced and to come out with an appropriate solution. Someone else might have faced this already right? DR might not care about BlackBerry or its business but we do...

Posted via CB10
    04-14-15 02:28 PM
    I just wanted to let everyone in the community about the issue I faced and to come out with an appropriate solution. Someone else might have faced this already right? DR might not care about BlackBerry or its business but we do...

Posted via CB10
    More like BlackBerry does not care about its business...
    StephanieMaks likes this.
    04-14-15 02:33 PM
    It's truly staggering that a company whos entire image is based on professionalism operates at this level. These forums are absolute filled with horror stories from shop blackberry. It's completely unfathomable that they're still using this service. If I worked for BlackBerry I would be absolutely embarrassed for anyone to order a product from us directly. Third party re-sellers and 3rd party app development completely trumps what's going on in-house.
    StephanieMaks likes this.
    04-14-15 03:44 PM
    Friend. Your better off ordering from Amazon. I had a problem with my Classic, and they sent me one right away same day delivery. I just have to make sure to send the old one back, or I'll get charged.
    04-14-15 05:36 PM
    So they offered to replace the unit and you said no, but you say they're not helping you? What do you want from them? Looks to me like you don't want to be helped....just to complain.

I think you're being unreasonable.
    My thoughts exactly. Consumers are sometimes very unreasonable and I'm guessing that you came off like you were looking for a two for one deal. They want to replace your device, a device that was mostly likely opened by Customs or Border Guards. Follow the program, exchange the device and if still not resolved then complain.
    04-14-15 06:02 PM
    That's terrible.
    04-14-15 06:20 PM
    He should not have to ORDER a new one. They should send him another as an exchange - although that type of exchange usually means charging for the second unit until they receive the first one back (I know there's a fancy name for such an exchange and I've done it with a few products when it was a warranty or other issue). They should send the new unit in a box which can be returned to them and include the handling/shipping label.
    It's called a cross ship, and most places will place the charge (or hold the amount against your card), and issue a refund - on receipt, but some huge companies (Amazon) often cross ship with no charge placed unless return is not received within 30 days (or some specified time frame). Of course they are taking the risk that the charge will actually go through at that time (card cancelled, or maxed out, or expired, etc...), and I'm not sure if that courtesy is just for Prime members - as I am one.
    For the OP, I understand he is (rightfully) angry, but in the end he will cause himself more headache then he will cause Digital River. I would have made the exchange on their terms and been done with it. Their terms are not out of the norm - even though I am sympathetic and understanding that this problem was completely the fault of DR.

Posted via CB10
    moody likes this.
    04-14-15 07:28 PM
    My thoughts exactly. Consumers are sometimes very unreasonable and I'm guessing that you came off like you were looking for a two for one deal. They want to replace your device, a device that was mostly likely opened by Customs or Border Guards. Follow the program, exchange the device and if still not resolved then complain.
    Oh god! Please stop using customs for everything. Customs would put a stop on it if it had been opened. My phone won't be having smudges like you see in the pic if it was customs... Cmon at least they would wear gloves while handling the phones. And about opening the box and updating the OS, who on right mind does that? Don't you think it's absurd wasting so much of time opening, updating and repackaging it again? Also you would be sending an open box to customers to **** them off... it's clearly DR's mistake...

Give some suggestions to correct this permanently rather than just expecting me to do what DR wants... Is there anyway I can take this BlackBerry executives.. to someone who can take an action about this issue?

Posted via CB10
    04-14-15 07:28 PM
    Another bad experience with ShopBlackBerry.com and good ole' Digital River..... add it to the list. BlackBerry is only going to hurt themselves by continuing to use these guys. Personally, had my own bad experience and never again. Anyone who has the option to order through Amazon, I highly recommend it, otherwise get it from your carrier.
    04-14-15 07:38 PM
    Oh god! Please stop using customs for everything. Customs would put a stop on it if it had been opened. My phone won't be having smudges like you see in the pic if it was customs... Cmon at least they would wear gloves while handling the phones. And about opening the box and updating the OS, who on right mind does that? Don't you think it's absurd wasting so much of time opening, updating and repackaging it again? Also you would be sending an open box to customers to **** them off... it's clearly DR's mistake...

Give some suggestions to correct this permanently rather than just expecting me to do what DR wants... Is there anyway I can take this BlackBerry executives.. to someone who can take an action about this issue?
    Can you clearly explain what you expect the resolution would be? Saying that they should give you the Passport for your inconvenience would basically be saying that your motives weren't honest in the first place and that you're using a well known issue with Digital River as a justification for a free device.

If they ship you a new device, will you be shipping back the old one? Why is it so hard to answer this question directly?
    04-14-15 08:01 PM
185 ... 23456 ...