Been a fan of BB ever since I got z30. Its been a year with Z30 so I thought its time for upgrade.
    I was waiting for a z30 successor but BlackBerry doesn't seem to have any plans to release one in near future.

Looking at all those positive 5 star reviews in the net, I went a head and ordered a "Red - BlackBerry Passport". I placed the order in ShopBlackBerry website on Friday (04/03) and paid extra for 2 day shipping. Digital River managed to send me the device on Monday and it reached me on Wednesday (04/08). I was very excited to get my hands on the device and I felt it was a long wait . Had it been Amazon , I am sure I would have got it on Monday.

All my excitement came to an end when I opened the courier.

-> The box of the blackberry passport looked very beat up and a lot of discoloration on the edges and it looked as if it sat in a warehouse unsold for a long time.
    -> I noticed double taping on the box, the first one was cut with a knife and the second one came off so easily. Anyone would know that the box was open already
    -> I ignored the box as it is not something I am bothered about and went a head and unboxed it.
    -> The moment I opened it, I noticed a lot of dust on the phone
    -> The back sticker which is above the sim/memory card slot had a lot of smudges and lint as well. Another sign it was used
    -> Turned the device to the back and noticed that the sticker was not sticked properly
    -> On the sides of the phone, there were markings which showed that the device had a protecting cover on it.
    -> Turned on the device and set the time and everything. When I checked the boot time, it showed it as Jan. I freaking got this phone in April and also the time zone was somewhere in Ireland.

I am very disappointed with the BlackBerry's service. I can't believe that Shopblackberry which is blackberry's own site isn't performing the way it's suppose to be.

I called up the customer care and they apologized me for sending a used device and asked me to return the device for a new one.
    I told them, I dont have a phone as of now and I need this. Then they asked me to place another order for a new phone and return this one once I received the new phone which I am not ready to do. Though this is their mistake, they are not even trying to help us.

Selling a used product as new is illegal and they are suppose to rectify their mistake by doing what I ask them to do.

Now about the phone I received. Below are the problems I have identified so far,

-> Battery life is terrible. When I turned on the device, it had half the battery and it worked for another 2 hours before turning off. I charged it again and used it for browsing and listening to spotify on wifi and it turned off in just 5 hours. I haven't installed any sim card in it yet. I read through the forums and updated the OS to the latest, did a reset but nothing helped. Now the phone is running 10.3 with same old battery life
    -> Wifi doesn't work sometimes. Though it is connected to wifi, it simply refuses to connect to internet. My z30 works like a charm in the same wifi network.
    -> Camera - the worst I should say. If I turn the flash light on, I get yellow pics... seriously... worst...
    -> Restarting the phone takes forever. z30 takes 25% of the time my passport takes to boot up.
    -> I kind of like the keyboard though I feel it double types some times when I swipe up to select a word. Its weird. I can type much faster in Z30 but I think I would get used to passport in few days.
    -> I was expecting the passport's display to be in par/better than z30. But IPS display isn't something which can compete with AMOLED unfortunately. I could see a lot of grey while watching a movie

I don't know if its just this stupid device I received or its going to be the same in all the passport's. I did check AT&T passport in their store before finalizing and I felt it was better.

Long story short, I raised a dispute against blackberry transaction with discover, the credit card company I bought the stuff with.
    Raised a complaint in "Better business bureau (BBB)" against digital river inc...
    I thought of taking this to a small claims court but it looks like I have to spend half the amount I spent for passport.

Is there anything else I could do from my end?

Attached are the pics.

Thanks,
    ElangoI ordered a new BlackBerry Passport... guess what I got... a used one-dsc01735.jpgI ordered a new BlackBerry Passport... guess what I got... a used one-dsc01739.jpgI ordered a new BlackBerry Passport... guess what I got... a used one-dsc01744.jpgI ordered a new BlackBerry Passport... guess what I got... a used one-dsc01745.jpgI ordered a new BlackBerry Passport... guess what I got... a used one-dsc01746.jpgI ordered a new BlackBerry Passport... guess what I got... a used one-img_20150408_231601.jpg
    04-13-15 03:48 PM
    Really blows, hope it all works out for you

Posted Via Red Passport
    04-13-15 05:43 PM
    I would get a refund and order it from amazon instead. I ordered from shop BlackBerry once, although my device did not have broken seals I don't trust them after reading numerous threads like this.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Gus; 04-13-15 at 06:43 PM.
    anon(5990673) likes this.
    04-13-15 06:01 PM
    I'm not sure if it's used or just if they checked it for something missing in the box.
    As far your camera... did you take off the plastic cover ?
    As far as your screen, did you take off the screen protector ?
    As far as your battery life, post a screenshot of your device monitor, and I suggest reloading your OS using BlackBerry link.
    Nbold9900 likes this.
    04-13-15 06:12 PM
    Been a fan of BB ever since I got z30. Its been a year with Z30 so I thought its time for upgrade.
    I was waiting for a z30 successor but BlackBerry doesn't seem to have any plans to release one in near future.

Looking at all those positive 5 star reviews in the net, I went a head and ordered a "Red - BlackBerry Passport". I placed the order in ShopBlackBerry website on Friday (04/03) and paid extra for 2 day shipping. Digital River managed to send me the device on Monday and it reached me on Wednesday (04/08). I was very excited to get my hands on the device and I felt it was a long wait . Had it been Amazon , I am sure I would have got it on Monday.

-> The box of the blackberry passport looked very beat up and a lot of discoloration on the edges and it looked as if it sat in a warehouse unsold for a long time.
    -> I noticed double taping on the box, the first one was cut with a knife and the second one came off so easily. Anyone would know that the box was open already
    -> I ignored the box as it is not something I am bothered about and went a head and unboxed it.
    -> The back sticker which is above the sim/memory card slot had a lot of smudges and lint as well. Another sign it was used
    -> Turned the device to the back and noticed that the sticker was not sticked properly
    -> On the sides of the phone, there were markings which showed that the device had a protecting cover on it.
    -> Turned on the device and set the time and everything. When I checked the boot time, it showed it as Jan. I freaking got this phone in April and also the time zone was somewhere in Ireland.

I am very disappointed with the BlackBerry's service. I can't believe that Shopblackberry which is blackberry's own site isn't performing the way it's suppose to be.

I called up the customer care and they apologized me for sending a used device and asked me to return the device for a new one.
    I told them, I dont have a phone as of now and I need this. Then they asked me to place another order for a new phone and return this one once I received the new phone which I am not ready to do. Though this is their mistake, they are not even trying to help us.

Selling a used product as new is illegal and they are suppose to rectify their mistake by doing what I ask them to do.

Now about the phone I received. Below are the problems I have identified so far,

-> Battery life is terrible. When I turned on the device, it had half the battery and it worked for another 2 hours before turning off. I charged it again and used it for browsing and listening to spotify on wifi and it turned off in just 5 hours. I haven't installed any sim card in it yet. I read through the forums and updated the OS to the latest, did a reset but nothing helped. Now the phone is running 10.3 with same old battery life
    -> Wifi doesn't work sometimes. Though it is connected to wifi, it simply refuses to connect to internet. My z30 works like a charm in the same wifi network.
    -> Camera - the worst I should say. If I turn the flash light on, I get yellow pics... seriously... worst...
    -> Restarting the phone takes forever. z30 takes 25% of the time my passport takes to boot up.
    -> I kind of like the keyboard though I feel it double types some times when I swipe up to select a word. Its weird. I can type much faster in Z30 but I think I would get used to passport in few days.
    -> I was expecting the passport's display to be in par/better than z30. But IPS display isn't something which can compete with AMOLED unfortunately. I could see a lot of grey while watching a movie

I don't know if its just this stupid device I received or its going to be the same in all the passport's. I did check AT&T passport in their store before finalizing and I felt it was better.

Long story short, I raised a dispute against blackberry transaction with discover, the credit card company I bought the stuff with.
    Raised a complaint in "Better business bureau (BBB)" against digital river inc...
    I thought of taking this to a small claims court but it looks like I have to spend half the amount I spent for passport.

Attached are the pics.

Thanks,
    ElangoClick image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01735.jpg 
Views:	7777 
Size:	250.8 KB 
ID:	347270Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01739.jpg 
Views:	7764 
Size:	312.8 KB 
ID:	347271Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01744.jpg 
Views:	7770 
Size:	264.1 KB 
ID:	347272Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01745.jpg 
Views:	7748 
Size:	216.4 KB 
ID:	347273Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01746.jpg 
Views:	7762 
Size:	233.0 KB 
ID:	347274Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150408_231601.jpg 
Views:	7752 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	347275
    So they offered to replace the unit and you said no, but you say they're not helping you? What do you want from them? Looks to me like you don't want to be helped....just to complain.

I think you're being unreasonable.
    04-13-15 06:18 PM
    Buy something elsewhere immediately and get a refund

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.281
    04-13-15 06:25 PM
    Unfortunately not the first time I've read this about a ShopBlackBerry order, which is really a terrible company called Digital River working on BlackBerry's behalf.

Posted from the CB10 app on my BlackBerry Z30 STA100-2/10.3.1.2576 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.5.6
    Carl Estes likes this.
    04-13-15 06:30 PM
    My only comment is that you do not want to /cant send it back for a replacement because it's your only phone , they said ok, order a new one and send back the other for a refund when new one arrives and you also do not want to do this, but in same sentence you say they are not trying to help?

I am curious what you would like/expect them to do?

Regardless if the device is defective or used they seem to be being fairly helpful?

Via Digicel 10.3.1.1779
    Hazo, newcollector, cbvinh and 5 others like this.
    04-13-15 06:39 PM
    Wow, this is rather unfortunate. On a bit of a side note, this sort of thing highlights the very reason why I still continue to purchase devices in person whenever possible, so that I am able to check the box before laying any money down for it as I've also been burned a couple of times in the past with devices that had been previously sold and the sales person would attempt to sell them to me as "new". If the seal is tampered with in any way I'll ask them to pull another one and if they refuse, I'll take my business elsewhere (since I purchase my devices outright it's not too much of a hassle).

I would recommend shipping the device back to ShopBlackBerry and ordering from Amazon if possible.

Best of luck, I hope you're able to get a nice mint condition Passport soon so that you can start enjoying it.
    04-13-15 06:40 PM
    My only comment is that you do not want to /cant send it back for a replacement because it's your only phone , they said ok, order a new one and send back the other for a refund when new one arrives and you also do not want to do this, but in same sentence you say they are not trying to help?

Regardless if the device is defective or used they seem to be being fairly helpful?

Via Digicel 10.3.1.1779
    A free phone?

Posted via CB10
    inodna likes this.
    04-13-15 06:43 PM
    So you are reviewing a used or defective product picked off the shelf and packages by a monkey tht is paid $8.00 that is only thinking about playing video games later or talking to her friends on the phone.

I feel you pain. I feel like this everytime I have to walk into a corporate cell phone store.
    GreenCopperz likes this.
    04-13-15 07:18 PM

Via Digicel 10.3.1.1779
    I totally agree. Order a new Phone, then when you get the new one, send the defective one back. Or send back the defective and they will send you a new one. What did you do with the phone you were using before you ardered this one? Why not use it until the new one arrives?

Seems to me that shopblackberry is trying to help.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-15 07:27 PM
    Op ShopBlackberry is run by a third party company called Digital River. Many here have reported they have horrible customer service. I ordered mind through Amazon and they were great with no problem.
    04-13-15 07:30 PM
    Small claims court really???Refund ASAP. Get it from amazon
    04-13-15 07:31 PM
    Instead of posting this, sue them. A retailer cannot sell something used as new. Sue them!!
    Suing Big Companies In Small Claims Court Is Fun And Easy ? Consumerist
    04-13-15 08:15 PM

Attached are the pics.

Thanks,

Weird
    moody likes this.
    04-13-15 08:19 PM

Attached are the pics.

Thanks,

Wow that stinks. I've read many negative things about Digital River. Glad I got mine straight from AT&T though the red one would be really cool to have.

I don't blame them for wanting your phone back before sending you a replacement. They can't just trust you will send the one you got back.

Good luck to you
    04-13-15 08:20 PM
    Perhaps BlackBerry should consider a refurbished section so that they can avoid some of this negative feedback.

It sounds like the Passport you got doesn't have any hardware problems such as scratches, missing parts or other damage so you probably just received a repacked device. Someone probably just returned it within the 15-30 day period because of some benign reason.

As for battery life, please note that Web browsing uses a lot of energy and if you were listening to Spotify at the same time all on a cellular network, then 5-6 hours is the most you could expect from a high end device.

The wifi connectivity seems like a technical issue that might be resolved with a settings change or an OS reinstall/update.

Good luck finding a resolution. Personally, I'd keep this one because you know it's been checked out/tested.
    04-13-15 08:21 PM

Attached are the pics.

Thanks,

Wow that stinks. I've read many negative things about Digital River. Glad I got mine straight from AT&T though the red one would be really cool to have.

I don't blame them for wanting your phone back before sending you a replacement. They can't just trust you will send the one you got back.

Good luck to you
    They did offer for him to order another one and then send back the first one for a refund.
    moody likes this.
    04-13-15 08:25 PM
    Im now noticing that they don't have the words new or used on shopblackberry when ordering a phone. it maybe be hard to. Amazon say new and used.
    04-13-15 08:28 PM
    I am curious; On the outside of the box there is normally an indication of the software revision on the phone. Do the two revisions match up? (That is - does what is on the phone match what is on the box?) it is possible that your device was shipped after being refreshed by someone at BlackBerry (not necessarily used) . I have had several boxes arrive a little beaten up myself - the boxes are not the heavy duty boxes of years ago.
    04-13-15 08:39 PM
    Omg

Posted via CB10
    04-13-15 08:40 PM
    What I don't understand about this thread and others like it is this forum provides information and customer experiences if you choose to read them carefully. Unfortunately it has been a known issue that purchasing BlackBerry products from this retailers is very dicey at best and sometimes just down right problematic, yet people still spend their money with this outfit. If you are not going to heed the advice of past testimonials made here then you are assuming the risk and decided that others precautionary stories did not apply to you. I purchased (2) Z30 Verizon compatible phones from Amazon new with no problems. I will note in your story you have a Z30 only a year old with no problems, which means you have a phone to use while you send the other back for a refund, then purchase from Amazon.
    04-13-15 09:18 PM
    Um...not to point out something obvious, but assuming the phone arrived off. If you had just boot it up, it will show the current time, not a date in January, unless there was a bug. If you turned it on as in unlocked the phone but didn't actually boot up the phone. Then that would be a different story.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-15 09:24 PM
    My passport also had mediocre battery life the first few days. After a week or two, it really settled in and has been terrific.
    04-13-15 09:30 PM
185 123 ...