Hello everyone;

There are three types of video about passport teardown on youtube. But they are not giving any clue about screen replacement of passport. If we can find this hero here, that can help #liftgate victims too. Who will help us?

Additionally, if friends here who disassambled their phones can say which screwdriver that they use for teardown, I may be the hero. This weekend i will disassamble mine but first I have to find right materials.

BOLD 9900>Z10>PASSPORT
    04-14-15 09:07 AM
    I would think you need a Torx 4 to disassemble.

I've taken apart both Z10 and Z30 and both use Torx 4 head.

Posted via CB10
    BRS64 likes this.
    04-14-15 10:04 AM
    Noone more?

BOLD 9900>Z10>PASSPORT
    04-15-15 12:28 AM
    I would not recommend doing a full teardown if just replacing the screen imho. Keeping in mind that nothing is user replaceable on this phone aside from the sim door, a t4 torx is least of what's needed to go any further.

If I could only share my bad experience so you don't have to suffer the same, *if* you ever decide it upon yourself to take your Passport apart for any out of warranty / voiding reason, it would be:

Use proper high quality screwdriver(s) and be careful not to over tighten any screws - they can strip both ways somewhat unforgivingly if not paying enough attention.

Leave the earpiece speaker and battery in place and alone if possible. The earpiece uses foam mounting tape that can easily be destroyed and the battery is stuck onto the device like you wouldn't believe. Plus it doesn't retain its form well and its integrity can be compromised if you attempt to pry on it. It appears to need to be replaced upon removal..

Don't use any liquids or sharp objects to clean off any adhesive off the backside of an existing lcd assembly if re-using it - scratches on the backside will take off the black (or whatever coloured based on device) coating and will show on the front. Liquids can get into the layers of the lcd and mess it up. Use only trusted methods on this..

The only reason I'm sharing this is I impatiently had to disassemble a salt water soaked Passport using the wrong tools and without the experience or know how and messed these things up. Thank goodness everything still works on it . Hopefully you can have more time, patience, and resource available to you.. And good luck!
    SmileDahling and BRS64 like this.
    04-15-15 08:03 AM
    I've done 4, you will need a #0 Phillips as well I think. Don't remember I know Torx and Phillip #0 is what I used before for either Q10 for sure. Probably Passport too. Seem any devices with KB may need the Phillips. I don't recall the Phillips in a Z30 or Z10.
    BRS64 likes this.
    04-15-15 08:15 AM
    I would not recommend doing a full teardown if just replacing the screen imho. Keeping in mind that nothing is user replaceable on this phone aside from the sim door, a t4 torx is least of what's needed to go any further.

If I could only share my bad experience so you don't have to suffer the same, *if* you ever decide it upon yourself to take your Passport apart for any out of warranty / voiding reason, it would be:

Use proper high quality screwdriver(s) and be careful not to over tighten any screws - they can strip both ways somewhat unforgivingly if not paying enough attention.

Leave the earpiece speaker and battery in place and alone if possible. The earpiece uses foam mounting tape that can easily be destroyed and the battery is stuck onto the device like you wouldn't believe. Plus it doesn't retain its form well and its integrity can be compromised if you attempt to pry on it. It appears to need to be replaced upon removal..

Don't use any liquids or sharp objects to clean off any adhesive off the backside of an existing lcd assembly if re-using it - scratches on the backside will take off the black (or whatever coloured based on device) coating and will show on the front. Liquids can get into the layers of the lcd and mess it up. Use only trusted methods on this..

The only reason I'm sharing this is I impatiently had to disassemble a salt water soaked Passport using the wrong tools and without the experience or know how and messed these things up. Thank goodness everything still works on it . Hopefully you can have more time, patience, and resource available to you.. And good luck!
    Actually, i don't want disassemble it by myself. But in Turkey, you can buy BB passport only from grey market. And their services are horrible. I don't want to send my phone to them. So i will try my chance.

Thank you.
    04-15-15 04:44 PM
    I've done 4, you will need a #0 Phillips as well I think. Don't remember I know Torx and Phillip #0 is what I used before for either Q10 for sure. Probably Passport too. Seem any devices with KB may need the Phillips. I don't recall the Phillips in a Z30 or Z10.
    The Phillips are for the vibrating motor. There are some screws smaller than torx #4 holding the media buttons to the frame and around the keypad too.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-15 05:05 PM
    Check if this helps,

Posted via CB10
    m3mb3rsh1p likes this.
    04-15-15 05:36 PM
    Actually, i don't want disassemble it by myself. But in Turkey, you can buy BB passport only from grey market. And their services are horrible. I don't want to send my phone to them. So i will try my chance.

Thank you.
    You're welcome, the motherboard iirc had to be up or out of the way to allow for the lcd / digitizer assembly ribbon cable end to pass through the hole it went into on mine. The proximity sensor next to the earpiece speaker was also held on with like a double sided metallic tape so that might be something best left in place as well.

If I was changing just a display on the regular square Passport, I'd probably get to the point of removing the motherboard but no more than that; leaving sensors, motors, speakers, headset jack, battery, and whatever doesn't come off that directly covers or blocks the motherboard from being lifted out alone. I think the frame can even stay in place. I'll admit it can be tempting to take it right apart and see everything in there but given parts availability atm, I'd leave well enough alone..

My advice is not a guide by any means and whatever anyone does, does so at their own responsibility but I really don't think there's much other than the chin under the keypad, sim cover, back cover, rear camera covering assembly, and motherboard to get up out of the way to get the display cable through and out but I could be wrong. Maybe there's a way to get that cable by without fully removing the motherboard but idk that could be risky. You'll know what I mean if you see it

Make sure whatever you or anyone does, that you use discretion and are real confident. I wasn't so much at the time of first disassembling mine. There's a lot of small sensitive things that can go wrong if not a pro :blush:

Posted via CB10
    BRS64 likes this.
    04-15-15 05:45 PM
    Check if this helps,

Posted via CB10
    Thanks, but this was the first video about disassembling when i searched. But if you realized it has nothing about screen replacement or screen disassembling. I need few more steps.
    04-17-15 06:07 PM
    Thanks, but this was the first video about disassembling when i searched. But if you realized it has nothing about screen replacement or screen disassembling. I need few more steps.
    Yeah I saw that. I posted it so that you can figure out which screw drivers to use.

Posted via CB10
    BRS64 likes this.
    04-17-15 11:26 PM