To preface, it has been a long time since I've written anything or commented on Crackberry. I remember it stopping roughly after I upgraded from a Priv to a Google Pixel. Before my Priv, however, I had a Passport.

I still remember when I got it, and everyone was fascinated about the shape, how it worked, and the fact that Blackberry still made phones. And as we know, BB10 was fantastic. Applications and Management aside, the phone was a wonderful phone and the gestures were intuitive and fluid. There is no such thing as a perfect phone, but for the duration of my Passport using days, I was content with what I had. I mean, I missed out on major apps and games and I honestly didn't even care because the phone just worked how I wanted it to and that was all that mattered.

Fast foward a couple months to a year+ and my Passport screen cracks and replacement screens weren't cheap. That coupled with BlackBerry's Management troubles and eventually, I traded in my Passport for a Priv. And I was brought into Android and all its bugginess.

Over the years I'd consider getting a Passport but I couldn't and still can't justify having two phones with one being able to do everything the other can't.

But I can't lie. I do miss using the Passport.

Sometimes I think of buying but then common sense sets in and I know it is not a smart idea for a phone without any more updates or anything useful being added on it.

It is a shame that BlackBerry has gotten to where it is now. Even when all the signs were pointing that they should have changed their business structure and plans since 2008. Hindsight, right?

But all in all, I feel like they should take some pride in the Passport. It merged with BB10 very well.

PS: This is not a cry for BlackBerry to restart any handset division or anything like that. That horse has been beaten to death and buried. It would be unfair to dig it back up just to beat it again.
    dmlis and anon(10441701) like this.
    03-13-18 11:23 AM
    ok. thanks
    03-13-18 11:33 AM
    It is a shame that BlackBerry has gotten to where it is now. Even when all the signs were pointing that they should have changed their business structure and plans since 2008. Hindsight, right?
    Not really, there were a number of posters here on CrackBerry in 2007/2008 that were saying if BlackBerry didn't modernize their OS... they would get left behind. There were some pretty heated and technical post about the limitations of Java and the limitations of running all the traffic through BlackBerry's Servers.
    03-13-18 11:39 AM
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I think we'll all get to your situation - some sooner than others.

I am still using my Passport and have no problems but the time may come when I need to move on - hopefully this is still years away!

When it does happen I will not be moving to Android though - hopefully by then some of these emerging OS' will be more established and a viable alternative.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    03-19-18 06:46 AM
    There is no reason why the passport can't function in 2018 even if the browser gets dated firefox for android works well on the phone. I would easily say another year or 2 on the passport easily as a daily phone

Posted via CB10
    dmlis and BerryRipe like this.
    03-19-18 12:52 PM
    My firefox on Passport is sluggish, for some time I use Brave browser with greater effect.
    Plus, bottom adress bar hack works:
    https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-...droid-0176946/
    04-04-18 04:37 AM
    I too miss my Passport. After it broke down, due to "emergency calls " syndrome. No real solution to that problem that I know of, sad really.

Then went off to get a z30 after trying an android, which in my opinion was a waste of time trying a cheap android made by who knows who.

I was quite happy with my z30, till the point I was having difficulty communicating with other fellow gun club members who were using FB,messenger,viber,etc...those apps did not run right on the z30...workable...got gotta constantly tinker around with it...did not run like butter on BlackBerry 10...

Just this last month, I finally took the plunge and retired my z30...bought myself a iPhone 8 plus...it's ok,I think it's way better than android, as even as I deny apps access to certain features like say my "contacts",the apps do not crash like in the Android that I had before.

If I downloaded a game in Android before, and it would request say my location or contacts, which I believe that game app should not...it would crash or would not be usable...it's the opposite in Apple iPhone 8 plus...

Although, the iPhone 8 plus is big with 256gig,etc...it does not have that same indefinable, indescribable some thing that the BlackBerry Passport exudes...The BlackBerry Passport is truly a classic...a design that was ahead of its time...I still miss the darn "work wide"...it is just what it is...a BlackBerry Passport.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-18 07:39 PM
    I too miss my Passport. After it broke down, due to "emergency calls " syndrome. No real solution to that problem that I know of, sad really.

Then went off to get a z30 after trying an android, which in my opinion was a waste of time trying a cheap android made by who knows who.

I was quite happy with my z30, till the point I was having difficulty communicating with other fellow gun club members who were using FB,messenger,viber,etc...those apps did not run right on the z30...workable...got gotta constantly tinker around with it...did not run like butter on BlackBerry 10...

Just this last month, I finally took the plunge and retired my z30...bought myself a iPhone 8 plus...it's ok,I think it's way better than android, as even as I deny apps access to certain features like say my "contacts",the apps do not crash like in the Android that I had before.

If I downloaded a game in Android before, and it would request say my location or contacts, which I believe that game app should not...it would crash or would not be usable...it's the opposite in Apple iPhone 8 plus...

Although, the iPhone 8 plus is big with 256gig,etc...it does not have that same indefinable, indescribable some thing that the BlackBerry Passport exudes...The BlackBerry Passport is truly a classic...a design that was ahead of its time...I still miss the darn "work wide"...it is just what it is...a BlackBerry Passport.

Posted via CB10
    I don't think comparing an apple flagship with an extremely cheap Android is a fair comparison.
    No capable Android phones crash when permissions are turned off.

ClassicSQC100-1/10.3.3.2163
    04-08-18 04:52 AM
    I don't think comparing an apple flagship with an extremely cheap Android is a fair comparison.

While I do agree that the comparison is unfair just because of the price tag (and all the reasons behind it of course), it is android app that crashes, not the android os.

Posted via my lovely  Z30
    04-08-18 06:33 AM
    While I do agree that the comparison is unfair just because of the price tag (and all the reasons behind it of course), it is android app that crashes, not the android os.

Posted via my lovely  Z30
    I think it was a problem with the Hardware that the apps were crashing. On any capable phone the same would not happen

04-08-18 07:04 AM

Ok, if it was not a fair comparison then that is what it was and that was what I had at that time.

I clearly was not impressed with the low end android that I had at that time.

Obviously if it were in the terms of the Apple area, the SE perhaps would be the low end of the Apple spectrum right now.

I can only imagine on how different the SE and the iPhone 8 plus would be,especially in regards to hardware performance.

How ever the same similar permission or operating environment and are probably same way in both phones.

Maybe the SE won't crash, because it is on the lower end of the Apple spectrum.

It's just an observation

So if you are saying that it was unfair, it probably is.

Neither the less, I do miss the Passport.

I do miss BlackBerry 10.

And for the obvious, I do not seem to be attracted to the Android platform, even though I am Linux user.

I really do not like apps trying to access info that I do not believe it needs in order to run.

Let's say a hypothetical example could be say an arcade game like PAC-MAN would want to access my location or my address book of contacts?

Go figure.

I'm happy for you, and that you are pleased with the Android platform. For me, it's the Apple platform. It's just maybe what I'm more comfortable with.

I was hoping that SailFish was my next phone after z30, but after much thought I decided on Apple.

Of course above all this...I really do miss my BlackBerry Passport.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-18 05:17 AM