To be honest, I've been thinking about jumping ship for quite some time. There's a couple of new devices coming up that got me really interested - the iPhone 6 and the Galaxy Note 4 to name some. While I am still interested in those devices, I am not quite sure if I would be happier with them.

Here's my story. After owning a couple of android phones I bought my first BlackBerry - a 9790 - probably just because I was in the mood of buying one. It was a pretty decent device but apparently too much of a change from the highly customizable and very responsive Android. The slow speed of the device, the constant need to reboot and certain very out-dated apps were driving me crazy. So I gave the device away, although I never forgot about the amazing form factor and the typical BlackBerry convenience of getting some of the things done.

After having my Galaxy S3 for while I almost felt that this was too much. Too many things I didn't need, too much toy, too much brick. Things ran fast on that device, that's for sure, and I enjoyed watching the latest IMDB trailers on the fantastic AMOLED display, but I just wanted a good old phone.

It was that time when BlackBerry launched their new set of devices and everyone at BlackBerry seemed very optimistic about it.
    I wasn't too optimistic, but I thought BB10 might be what I needed, so I gave it a try, at launch date, and it was... well, okay at first.

But then, after several months of use and seeing the OS going through a serious process of maturing, it definitely grew on me.

Recently I have been a little worried about the future of BlackBerry again, and maybe it was also me being tired of the position of the "hardware weirdo" and outsider, that a BlackBerry user seems to be constantly dealing with nowadays.
    It might just be easier going back to android where everyone doesn't care because you carry an appropriate phone for them. They don't have to face the occasional anxiety they get whenever they see a phone standing out of the masses and therefore they also wouldn't feel the need to express their compassion as soon as they find out that I'm "still" using a BlackBerry, which obviously means that I either don't have the money to switch to an iPhone (poor me), or my evil company is forcing me to use a BlackBerry, or, most probably, that I am mentally challenged or suffer from any other kind of disorder. However, that's probably one of the reasons I was thinking of ditching my phone.

Then, all of a sudden, a good friend of mine who always was into great smartphones started to ask me questions about my Q10. I was wondering why he would give up his HTC One for a Q10 so we had a good conversation on today's cell phone market. He said that he was just sick of all the bashing and cult like behavior found on the internet when it comes to mobile platforms. He also stated that he doesn't use most of his phone's functions, yet he was having difficulties with the device during its primary task (phone calls). So he just wanted something back to the basic.

So after a little self reflection I am thinking about going for the Passport now. I really like BlackBerry and I think there's really nothing that actually compares with the satisfaction that comes with their phones. They're just good guy phones doing their jobs - and they do it well.

One thing, I am planning to move to the US next year, so I hope there will be enough carrier support over there, but I'm sure that's gonna work out as well.

Long story - I just felt like writing it down
    09-16-14 05:50 PM
  2. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Yeah... Passport is very hard to pass up....

Posted via CB10
    09-16-14 05:53 PM
    I love my Z30 and have been eyeing the Classic but the Passport is starting to grow on me. Looks like it will be a beast of a phone with all the high end features any one could want plus actually function as a great communication device. Hopefully AT&T will carry it and have one in store to look at. Still just not sure On the size myself.

Posted via CB10
    09-16-14 06:10 PM
    I usually like to try my phones in the store first. Even if they are dummy phones the size and shape is important. However I bought my wife's and my Q10's without question because we hated our iPhone 5's that much.

I am planning on buying a passport for me just because I want something new not because I dislike my Q10. I will probably keep the Q10 for a spare.

Can't wait. Come on Verizon.

Posted via CB10
    09-16-14 06:36 PM
    Nice post, OP! I think you hit the nail on the head. BlackBerry phones do their job really well. I'm curious, as you are considering migrating to another platform, what is it about the iPhone 6 and Note 4 that continue to interest you?

Posted via CB10
    09-16-14 07:30 PM
    Nice post, OP! I think you hit the nail on the head. BlackBerry phones do their job really well. I'm curious, as you are considering migrating to another platform, what is it about the iPhone 6 and Note 4 that continue to interest you?

Posted via CB10
    Well, one reason is simply that both are definitely great phones. The Note 4 has excellent performance and some nice features. With the iPhone 6 it's more the design that I like, but I'm sure they did a good job with this product in general.

Another thing that I like about the major platforms is that I don't have to worry about whether a service or app will function with them. Basically everything runs on those phones whereas with BlackBerry that's still not the case. Oftentimes there's some kind of workaround needed or I need to use the web browser to get things done. That's okay but sometimes not very convenient.

I'm still not 100% sure but I definitely like the Passport. I think I'll wait for the Passport as well as for the Note to be released and then I'll check them out in a store to make my decision.
    09-17-14 05:04 AM
    Im in a similar position. My 9900 is a wreck right now and the iP6 is really tempting with the new screen size as well as all of the apps available. Im holding out so I can handle a passport first and Im remaining hopeful that the Amazon App Store spans the app gap somewhat for the BB10 OS. I really do like what the passport offers in terms of communication and the screen size/resolution and although a completely different form that the iP6 Im excited to see what the passport brings to the table. It seems like they are taking a leap with this device and I think it could be very cool if the handset works as intended with the touch keypad. Fingers crossed from now until the 24th because Id actually feel a little disappointed if I left the brand.
    09-17-14 07:27 AM
    Fingers crossed from now until the 24th because Id actually feel a little disappointed if I left the brand.
    Same here. And I actually think the Passport is a great concept. I'm wondering how people will find this device - non BlackBerry users in particular. May this be something to win new users?

I read a lot of positive previews and articles on the Passport. At the same time, most people I ask don't like the design.
    09-17-14 07:52 AM
    The Z30 is a great device. It addresses a lot of weakness that exist in the Z10 and more.
    I love my Z30 and have been eyeing the Classic but the Passport is starting to grow on me. Looks like it will be a beast of a phone with all the high end features any one could want plus actually function as a great communication device. Hopefully AT&T will carry it and have one in store to look at. Still just not sure On the size myself.

Posted via CB10
    09-17-14 03:13 PM
    When we moved from the 9900 to the Z10, a friend of mine bought our 9900 for $250 with a big smile.
    Im in a similar position. My 9900 is a wreck right now and the iP6 is really tempting with the new screen size as well as all of the apps available. Im holding out so I can handle a passport first and Im remaining hopeful that the Amazon App Store spans the app gap somewhat for the BB10 OS. I really do like what the passport offers in terms of communication and the screen size/resolution and although a completely different form that the iP6 Im excited to see what the passport brings to the table. It seems like they are taking a leap with this device and I think it could be very cool if the handset works as intended with the touch keypad. Fingers crossed from now until the 24th because Id actually feel a little disappointed if I left the brand.
    09-17-14 03:35 PM
    My sister used a Q10 for less than 1 year but she had a hard time reading things in its small screen. I hooked her up with a Z30 and she hasn't looked back.
    I'm contemplating of selling the Q10 (AT&T)...
    I usually like to try my phones in the store first. Even if they are dummy phones the size and shape is important. However I bought my wife's and my Q10's without question because we hated our iPhone 5's that much.

I am planning on buying a passport for me just because I want something new not because I dislike my Q10. I will probably keep the Q10 for a spare.

Can't wait. Come on Verizon.

Posted via CB10
    09-17-14 03:39 PM
    Same. Was on a Q10 , bought a Lumia 930 as I was getting it for peanuts. Loaded 10.3 and loved it. Will still be selling my Q10 but eagerly awaiting the passport.

Have to say that Blackberry has to make more of their own apps, Microsoft and Nokia apps alone make the Windows os great. As Android has Google behind it, Blackberry's software side of things doesn't really show at all to the general public...I know it does a lot of business in enterprise/ corporate world, but that doesn't translate to anything meaningful to me
    09-17-14 03:39 PM
    I have to force myself not too think about the Passport. It's very hard to do.
    My Z10 battery drains so fast.
    However, I can print stuff from my Z10 to my Canon MX860 printer which is awesome.
    09-17-14 03:42 PM
    My z30 with the 10.3.0.1154 leak installed has came alive, the 10.3 OS really makes the z30 shine. I did buy an iPhone 6 because I am a tech junkie and I wanted to see what the fuss is all about.

One thing that keeps bringing me back to BlackBerry is the neat features like the Hub, Peek And the Gesturing concept. I also like the flow of the OS which is designed for a business person like myself.

Sent from my Lovely z30 on T Mobile USA (10.3.0.1154)
    09-17-14 03:45 PM
    Comes down to why you want a certain brand...is it because the device does what you want or is it because you want to run run with a certain crowd..... I for one am secure in choice and frankly do not care what others think... happily use my BB....
    09-17-14 03:55 PM