Hi to all

I got my passport about two months ago and it replaced my priv. I really wonder how blackberry killed this nice system. peoples who have android oreo are happy they can listen youtube and the same time make other thing in the phone.
    IPhone X has some swipe elements like bb10, as I know bb10 is one of the secure os.. and many many other things...
    Any chance blackberry will carry about bb10?

Posted via CB10
    11-22-17 10:33 AM
    No chance Passport is like hall of fame BlackBerry device!
    Qorax, texn884, gruv4u and 1 others like this.
    11-22-17 10:51 AM
    How stupid and not serious most be company not care about their customers, about his own products... every big businesses have pplz like stevie jobs, thats why iPhone became what it became. Chen and Co are really small peoples will get money today but will not have name tomorrow....

Posted via CB10
    Qorax, texn884, gruv4u and 2 others like this.
    11-22-17 11:07 AM
    How stupid and not serious most be company not care about their customers, about his own products... every big businesses have pplz like stevie jobs, thats why iPhone became what it became. Chen and Co are really small peoples will get money today but will not have name tomorrow....

Posted via CB10
    Passport is a 2014 device, the last BB10 device was launched in 2015, we are near 2018 !

BlackBerry exited the hardware business in 2016 !

What did you expect ?

Posted via CB10
    andy957 likes this.
    11-22-17 12:17 PM

Posted via CB10
    BB is not even in the hardware device business anymore?? BB almost went bankrupt due to BB10. Why don't you research BB history before you make comments? Guess who sounds like all those names and insults you called BB, Chen and Company?
    11-22-17 12:23 PM
    BB10 devices never sold enough to recoup minimal costs, it went on for many quarters/years before the company had no choice but to focus priorities elsewhere.

BB10 almost bankrupt the company in 2013, the fact that it's still getting any updates in 2017 is incredible.
    11-22-17 12:41 PM
    I understand they had problems, but every company will have problems if no right management.
    I think they had two key factor to be successful company security and multitasking. Do you think it's not enough factors? You just want right marketing strategy.
    Truth is they found out easy way how earn money, they sold hardware license to TCL and focused on security software.
    Is it right turn?
    Best regards

Posted via CB10
    Qorax and anon(8679041) like this.
    11-22-17 01:43 PM
    ...every company will have problems if no right management...Truth is they found (an) easy way (out)...
    Well said. Imagine if Apple had thought likewise during 2005-2007 - where would idevices be?
    11-22-17 01:53 PM
    Well said. Imagine if Apple had thought likewise during 2005-2007 - where would idevices be?
    You two need to look at the balance sheets of Apple, Google, Microsoft and BlackBerry from 1997-2017. Look at the economic size and the asset size of each company each year. You will see in every year, not only was BlackBerry the smallest of the four companies, it was only a fraction of the size of each company in each year.

You could have given BlackBerry the Android OS and Google the BB10 OS and we'd all have the BB10 OS found on devices. You could give BB it's BB10 OS all the way back in 2005-2007 and we'd still be standing in the same place that we are now with BB10 a sliver of a percent of share.

Why? All three bigger companies had large revenue streams to pay their bills while they fought the OS wars. BBOS had push email and BIS compressing data for 2G. That's only reason why BB had revenue. No matter the point in time, as soon as BB moves from BBOS and BIS to BB10 revenue plummets and unlike the big three, BB has no other significant revenue source.

If anyone wishes to dispute the facts I've written, go ahead, write your facts down and explain how you overcome the facts. Don't forget the economic facts have to be explained as to how you overcome economic gravity the big three create to ANY competition. Also remember, even Microsoft eventually failed in mobile and Google or Apple has never unseated Microsoft in the non-mobile OS space.

Please no crickets quiet and not chirping.... This should be interesting.
    11-22-17 02:29 PM
    I only got my passport a year ago. I wished I bought when it first launched. Love the pkb. I don't use all the social media options that are nicer on apple or Android. But I find emails & texts easier on it compared to the others.

Posted via CB10
    Qorax and ratfinkstooley like this.
    11-22-17 09:25 PM
    I only got my passport a year ago. I wished I bought when it first launched. Love the pkb. I don't use all the social media options that are nicer on apple or Android. But I find emails & texts easier on it compared to the others.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly the reason why I love the Passport. My main usage is emails, calls and texts - all three of which the Passport does better than anything else in the mkt. Besides being a head turner, unique in its looks.

The only 'app' I use is Facebook - which works fine for me on the Passport. And the shooter is perfectly fine as well, the other thing that I use my phones for (clicking pictures and short video clips).

This bloody phone grows onto you!
    11-22-17 11:20 PM
    [QUOTE=Chuck Finley69;13078076]
    You two need to look at the balance sheets of Apple, Google, Microsoft and BlackBerry from 1997-2017. Look at the economic size and the asset size of each company each year. You will see in every year, not only was BlackBerry the smallest of the four companies, it was only a fraction of the size of each company in each year.
    No dispute in general about that. But overwhelming size is supposed to draw in regulatory monitoring.
    You could have given BlackBerry the Android OS and Google the BB10 OS and we'd all have the BB10 OS found on devices.
    Well that we can agree upon, especially since bb10 is superior to Android as a base functional operating system.
    You could give BB it's BB10 OS all the way back in 2005-2007 and we'd still be standing in the same place that we are now with BB10 a sliver of a percent of share.
    Not a chance, BB10 would still be in the race with a significant market share
    Why? All three bigger companies had large revenue streams to pay their bills while they fought the OS wars. BBOS had push email and BIS compressing data for 2G. That's only reason why BB had revenue. No matter the point in time, as soon as BB moves from BBOS and BIS to BB10 revenue plummets and unlike the big three, BB has no other significant revenue source.
    Unless of course they were able to sell many more devices (and they might have except for the Google presence) , and garner sufficient revenue from BlackBerry world - which in the circumstances that actually evolved, they did not
    If anyone wishes to dispute the facts I've written, go ahead, write your facts down and explain how you overcome the facts. Don't forget the economic facts have to be explained as to how you overcome economic gravity the big three create to ANY competition. Also remember, even Microsoft eventually failed in mobile and Google or Apple has never unseated Microsoft in the non-mobile OS space.
    I only contend that it should only have been a two or even multi-horse race with other smaller players still in the race. Apple in 1st followed by BlackBerry (Apple permium, BlackBerry affordable Quality). Google morphed into a near global monopoly because of the Open Handset Alliance, which I contend is akin to a cartel (especially the manufacturers - Samsung,LG, Motorola etc..). Regulatory wise, this was not dealt with, and is not being dealt with. Regardless of its novel approach to generating revenue by data-groping and monopolizing nearly all (I think) on-line advertising. No import duties on cheap nearly useless android phones didn't hurt its seemingly massive overtake OS (numbers but not quality) position either.

....no, but maybe some BlueJay (or is that MockingJay?) swooping down...
    Qorax likes this.
    11-23-17 01:21 AM

You could have given BlackBerry the Android OS and Google the BB10 OS and we'd all have the BB10 OS found on devices. You could give BB it's BB10 OS all the way back in 2005-2007 and we'd still be standing in the same place that we are now with BB10 a sliver of a percent of share.

What you write is just statistic, nothing more for me.. I am manager of analysis department of my company and believe me, my company is much much bigger than blackberry. After your post I read history of RIM /blackberry with balance sheets... have to say LAZARIDIS and BALSILLI killed the company. In business behind the numbers are real work!!! In other words how productivity is your work numbers are better. You can't ignore this. Rim was most popular in USA and north america, am I right? Why? Because security and easy for use (emails, communication)
    Its bad moment but tragedy of 2001 was for them biggest test, after this incident the hole government had blackberry devices. Am I right? Check balance sheets... after jobs presented iPhone with more popular software what management of blackberry did? Their strategy was killing company. And when got blackberry devices bb10? Sure war was already lost!!! Peoples don't understand already what is bb10, why they need it if there is android or iPhone.
    People didn't understand what was RIM 950, read how it became popular...
    To have big really big business you must be big, you must love your business not only money in this business.
    History remembers big names like Ford, etc.
    Trust me many will not remember who was Chen...
    Sorry for my bad english and angry post... it's because I really love my passport and bb10. It's always sad when I see how people kill good ideas..
    Best regards

Posted via CB10
    11-23-17 06:45 AM
    What you write is just statistic, nothing more for me.. I am manager of analysis department of my company and believe me, my company is much much bigger than blackberry. After your post I read history of RIM /blackberry with balance sheets... have to say LAZARIDIS and BALSILLI killed the company. In business behind the numbers are real work!!! In other words how productivity is your work numbers are better. You can't ignore this. Rim was most popular in USA and north america, am I right? Why? Because security and easy for use (emails, communication)
    Its bad moment but tragedy of 2001 was for them biggest test, after this incident the hole government had blackberry devices. Am I right? Check balance sheets... after jobs presented iPhone with more popular software what management of blackberry did? Their strategy was killing company. And when got blackberry devices bb10? Sure war was already lost!!! Peoples don't understand already what is bb10, why they need it if there is android or iPhone.
    People didn't understand what was RIM 950, read how it became popular...
    To have big really big business you must be big, you must love your business not only money in this business.
    Sorry for my bad english and angry post... it's because I really love my passport and bb10. It's always sad when I see how people kill good ideas..
    Best regards

Posted via CB10
    Well said there KK!
    11-23-17 06:53 AM
    Well said there KK!
    Yes you are so right and if you showed this to BB they would say you were wrong and they did everything right
    Qorax likes this.
    11-23-17 07:59 AM
    I've always contended that BB management considered themselves a software company that had to make hardware because no one else did. For a period of time you could actually buy the BIS/BES type package through your carrier. It was available for multiple OEM devices.

I've always felt that BB founders and executives never expected such a quick trajectory upward with consumer adoption. When Apple signed the exclusivity agreement with AT&T here in USA, people with other carriers flocked to BB for the early smartphone experience. The founders and senior executives sold their BB holdings into this inflated share price.

The founders and senior management realized that (BB1.0)BBOS would be the pinnacle of BB marketshare compared to (BB2.0)BB10. As I explained before, SAF revenues were the real cash flow engine of BB and not hardware. Carriers would no longer have to share data revenue with BB. With hardware itself, OEMs would sell devices cheaper and cheaper to carriers in price war to gain marketshare.

The reality is that for a small company like BB, they were on the right side of a perfect storm. They stretched things out with BBOS and it's devices as long as they could. BB10 was never really meant to succeed. The founders and senior executives almost committed the perfect crime. The "almost" being that no crime was actually committed. It was a legal strategy that basically allowed to waste away their assets into bankruptcy providing jobs to loyal employees to bitter end. The company wasn't really supposed to survive.

Chen will be remembered by the people that matter. The people that hired Chen. That's because Chen was hired to save their holdings in BB the company and generate enough returns to keep those institutions happy.
    11-23-17 08:31 AM
    Truth is they found out easy way how earn money, they sold hardware license to TCL and focused on security software. Is it right turn?
    I think it is a good strategy. BlackBerry concentrates on what makes them special, and they allow the hardware company to concentrate on their specialty.
    11-23-17 11:05 AM
    I love my Passport too but we have to accept that it won't get any more support and it was seven years too late; on the other hand the mobile market seems to have stalled, options range from laughably unreliable to boring to ludicrously expensive, sometimes all three as with Google's Pixel lineup; it has taken away any desire I could have for a special device like the Passport, so I'll use it as long as basic functions like email work (and work very well), but the lack of whatsapp is going to bite, already using dropbox is clunky. I'll try to complement it with my old Nexus 4, or a new cheap android, but a "premium" phone doesn't make much sense.
    Qorax likes this.
    11-23-17 12:12 PM
    I've always contended that BB management considered themselves a software company that had to make hardware because no one else did. For a period of time you could actually buy the BIS/BES type package through your carrier. It was available for multiple OEM devices.

I've always felt that BB founders and executives never expected such a quick trajectory upward with consumer adoption. When Apple signed the exclusivity agreement with AT&T here in USA, people with other carriers flocked to BB for the early smartphone experience. The founders and senior executives sold their BB holdings into this inflated share price.

The founders and senior management realized that (BB1.0)BBOS would be the pinnacle of BB marketshare compared to (BB2.0)BB10. As I explained before, SAF revenues were the real cash flow engine of BB and not hardware. Carriers would no longer have to share data revenue with BB. With hardware itself, OEMs would sell devices cheaper and cheaper to carriers in price war to gain marketshare.

The reality is that for a small company like BB, they were on the right side of a perfect storm. They stretched things out with BBOS and it's devices as long as they could. BB10 was never really meant to succeed. The founders and senior executives almost committed the perfect crime. The "almost" being that no crime was actually committed. It was a legal strategy that basically allowed to waste away their assets into bankruptcy providing jobs to loyal employees to bitter end. The company wasn't really supposed to survive.

Chen will be remembered by the people that matter. The people that hired Chen. That's because Chen was hired to save their holdings in BB the company and generate enough returns to keep those institutions happy.
    Wow! That revisionist propoganda piece (4th paragraph mostly), just sounded like the Jane Fonda Hanoi speech and appearance back in '72 Vietnam.
    Qorax likes this.
    11-23-17 12:22 PM
    Wow! That revisionist propoganda piece (4th paragraph mostly), just sounded like the Jane Fonda Hanoi speech and appearance back in '72 Vietnam.
    Really IPA?? I've floated through your shroom ramblings for the last week and then all you can give me is revisionist??? Please.... At least expand upon your thoughts... LOL. Happy Thanksgiving.....
    11-23-17 01:39 PM
    Really IPA?? I've floated through your shroom ramblings for the last week and then all you can give me is revisionist??? Please.... At least expand upon your thoughts... LOL. Happy Thanksgiving.....
    Well come on....they went to a lot of trouble and expertise to build an excellent BB10 just to say they were deliberately 'wasting away their assets'. Now that statement is really way out there, like Jane was. They were coding for functional safety it might appear (which takes longer to bake then other types of coding, I would guess), and they picked QNX for the base of that.

Yeah sure, they encountered a huge market wall that they didn't foresee in the sometimes dumbish, herdish and cut-throat consumer space which they had to enter, and stock holders who bought at the high way back when, are never happy when it tanks....and the shell-shock and anger and pain of loss is understandeable for the 'all-in' investor, and misfortune can be a terribly hard thing to cope with even for the best of us. All you can do, though is count your blessing everyday , if you can.
    - Have a Happy Thanksgiving as well. (IPA??? India pale ale?)
    11-23-17 02:46 PM
    http://www.ctvnews.ca/rim-executives...fines-1.367595

This would be from earlier period. At time each had over $2 billion in shares. When you see insiders dumping most of their holdings over 3-4 year period, while building their new OS, you have to ask questions. Totally different situation than Apple, Google or Microsoft founders and executives. They knew as insiders what the situation would be. There was never any realistic strategy to replace the level of SAF revenue that BIS was bringing in.

ML and JB were no dummies. They knew BB didn't stand a chance in the new mobile tech ecosystem paradigm. If they believed they wouldn't have sold majority of holding when they did. When you're an insider, getting in and out takes multiple years and strategic planning. They did both very well and without causing a panic exit or crushing share price.
    11-23-17 04:23 PM
    It's a great phone. Awkward but great.

Posted via CB10
    Jon Wiggy likes this.
    11-23-17 04:42 PM
    Quick Question Guys! Please Reply with this one!

I'm planning to get a blackberry passport silver edition tomorrow. Can I get facebook, Instagram, Twitter and youtube with this one? I believe that I can watch videos on youtube and surf to facebook using the browser but is there an available app that is free for BB10? Thanks.

Follow Up Question: How about the facebook messenger? Is it available? Thanks
    11-23-17 11:33 PM
    Best regards
    Could not agree more. Well said!
    Qorax likes this.
    11-24-17 01:39 AM
76 123 ...