And also, with the "tweakability" of Android (or any OS in that case), it comes inestability, vulnerability risks, etc... Is kind of a rule, if you touch and modify things, chances of screwing up rise.
    How so?
    01-11-17 06:17 AM
    Are you sure of this? The iphone and android people are always amazed at the levels of customizations I have for contacts, sleep mode, different ring/vibrate profiles etc

Posted via CB10 Passport
    There are some important ways BB10 is more customizable than Android. For years I used my phone in silent mode depending on my RGB LED to see notifications and what kind they were effortlessly. However I need certain work contacts to wake me up if needed. Easy to achieve on BBOS/BB10. Impossible on Android.

On Android the RBG LED is tied into the sound profile with no options so the best I can do is keep my phone on priority only mode for those contacts but the LED does not function at all forcing me to check my phone every few minutes to see if I have any notifications. Not efficient at all.
    Last edited by cbosdell; 01-11-17 at 08:19 AM.
    01-11-17 07:43 AM
    Easy to achieve on BBOS/BB10. Impossible on Android. The RBG LED is tied into the sound profile with no options
    That's easily fixed with an app. I use Sound Profile (by Corcanoe).
    01-11-17 07:44 AM
    I've tried that app and countless others. I've also contacted BlackBerry and Google. There is no way to have the phone operate in silent mode with the exception of certain work contacts (which probably is the key issue) but have the LED function as normal unless that has changed in the three months since I last tried.
    01-11-17 07:50 AM
    There are some important ways BB10 is more customization than Android. For years I used my phone in silent mode depending on my RGB LED to see notifications and what kind they were effortlessly. However I need certain work contacts to wake me up if needed. Easy to achieve on BBOS/BB10. Impossible on Android.

On Android the RBG LED is tied into the sound profile with no options so the best I can do is keep my phone on priority only mode for those contacts but the LED does not function at all forcing me to check my phone every few minutes to see if I have any notifications. Not efficient at all.
    Yes sir this is exactly, to the T, what I mean about the ability to customize BlackBerry os. I do the same exact things with mine as you described.

Posted via CB10 Passport
    01-11-17 07:54 AM
    I've tried that app and countless others. I've also contacted BlackBerry and Google. There is no way to have the phone operate in silent mode with the exception of certain work contacts (which probably is the key issue) but have the LED function as normal unless that has changed in the three months since I last tried.
    I do that all the time.
    01-11-17 08:00 AM
    How so?
    Like in any OS (phone, computer, wathever) when you start messing around with things, it's normal that you head to a reset/reinstall down the road. I'm asuming we are talking tweaking things, not just installing apps or changing wallpapers.
    01-11-17 08:43 AM
    Like in any OS (phone, computer, wathever) when you start messing around with things, it's normal that you head to a reset/reinstall down the road. I'm asuming we are talking tweaking things, not just installing apps or changing wallpapers.
    I'm more referring to settings and apps.

With root - level adjustments, you are probably correct.
    01-11-17 08:53 AM
    I find that when the function is built into the OS it tends to work without issue. When you have to download an app like on Android you have to hope that the app doesn't act buggy or crash and you miss you notifications however you set it up to do so. This is the reason I dislike Android. Apps crash quite a bit as I remember.

Our Note 4 work phones at work have apps made for them and they crash daily.

Posted via CB10
    01-13-17 12:14 PM
    I find that when the function is built into the OS it tends to work without issue. When you have to download an app like on Android you have to hope that the app doesn't act buggy or crash and you miss you notifications however you set it up to do so. This is the reason I dislike Android. Apps crash quite a bit as I remember.

Our Note 4 work phones at work have apps made for them and they crash daily.

Posted via CB10
    I haven't had an app crash since Priv launch day over a year ago.

Download reputable, well reviewed apps, and you should have no difficulty. They are regularly updated, adding new features while squashing small bugs.

The BB10 browser crashes regularly. The BB10 media player needs a device reboot occasionally to play certain file types. Default apps don't guarantee a higher level of performance.
    01-13-17 12:24 PM
    I haven't had an app crash since Priv launch day over a year ago.

Download reputable, well reviewed apps, and you should have no difficulty. They are regularly updated, adding new features while squashing small bugs.

The BB10 browser crashes regularly. The BB10 media player needs a device reboot occasionally to play certain file types. Default apps don't guarantee a higher level of performance.
    Understood but that would not be the case if still supported. Android is very much still supported and there are many bugs and crashes. It's pretty much a crap shoot findings a reputable dependable app that may work well on that model android phone or not on the other depending on manufacturer.

To be honest, where we are today with only two major options for platforms is very disappointing. I used to think that apple was the evil hungry monster but as of late I think Google is. Not completely happy with either and when time comes it will be a difficult decision.

Posted via CB10
    01-13-17 12:48 PM
    Must be BlackBerry OS.. no android.
    That's a problem.
    01-13-17 02:12 PM
    To be honest, where we are today with only two major options for platforms is very disappointing. I used to think that apple was the evil hungry monster but as of late I think Google is. Not completely happy with either and when time comes it will be a difficult decision.
    Perhaps look at it from the standpoint of what you will be getting rather than what you are trying to avoid. The best part of the two-ecosystem situation is that app compatibility is no longer a problem. If there's an app then you just need to download it and you're good to go. Imagine all of the increased productivity you will gain by not having to locate, test, and tweak apps and have them become unusable on a regular basis. Having apps crash once in a while must be nothing compared to do all of that compatibility maintenance just to them to work.
    01-13-17 06:14 PM
    I'm sorry, but I just haven't experienced any of this at all on my Passport... browser and media player are used daily for hours at a time...

Posted via CB10 Passport
    01-13-17 09:10 PM
    I'm sorry, but I just haven't experienced any of this at all on my Passport... browser and media player are used daily for hours at a time...

Posted via CB10 Passport
    You're lucky then. This is a well known issue with the media player.
    01-13-17 09:13 PM

Posted via CB10 Passport
    Neither have I. I can't remember the last time my browser crashed???
    01-13-17 09:13 PM
    Neither have I. I can't remember the last time my browser crashed???
    I've never had my media player crash, and the only time the browser has crashed is when I had like 10 tabs open and they were heavy javascript dependent

Posted via CB10 Passport
    01-14-17 10:57 AM
    I've never had my media player crash, and the only time the browser has crashed is when I had like 10 tabs open and they were heavy javascript dependent

Posted via CB10 Passport
    The media player does not crash. It just suddenly cannot handle a whole bunch of different file types until reboot.
    01-14-17 11:00 AM
    I've never seen this day coming in all of my years of BlackBerry, but I'm about done with the os. Doing simple things, like making certain posts in Facebook, are impossible whereas people with ios and android have no problems. I'll try face10, but I'm not optimistic. So annoyed.

Posted via CB10 Passport
    01-14-17 07:14 PM
    BlackBerry phones have always lagged in the camera department unfortunately (at least as far as BBOS/BB10 are concerned). You can play around with camera settings or use a third party app to get better results but it's definitely not an ideal solution for "point and shoot" moments.
    01-14-17 07:54 PM
    The shutter speed ( in my completely unprofessional, lacking knowledge opinion) is SO slow on these. Like I said, I've got some STUNNING pictures, but for every stunning picture are dozens of horrible pictures.

Posted via CB10 Passport
    01-14-17 08:27 PM
    The shutter speed ( in my completely unprofessional, lacking knowledge opinion) is SO slow on these. Like I said, I've got some STUNNING pictures, but for every stunning picture are dozens of horrible pictures.

Posted via CB10 Passport
    There really is ONLY one way to take consistently good pictures with a Passport, and that is to hold perfectly still while shooting. That is why you can see so many good "posed" pictures. Try to take a pic of your 2-3 year old playing, dog moving about etc and you have a disaster. My holiday shots from Australia and N.Z from November are fantastic (95% of them) but that's because I am VERY deliberate while shooting them.
    85_305 likes this.
    01-14-17 08:46 PM
    Yes that is exactly spot on... any movement and the picture is absolute crap. Another reason my boiling point has been reached with these phones.

Do the android BlackBerry have sleep mode? So critical for me...

Posted via CB10 Passport
    01-14-17 08:48 PM
    Understood but that would not be the case if still supported. Android is very much still supported and there are many bugs and crashes. It's pretty much a crap shoot findings a reputable dependable app that may work well on that model android phone or not on the other depending on manufacturer.

Posted via CB10
    I'm considering Windows Phone. Though this might be akin to jumping off the Titanic and hitching a ride on the Hindenburg.
    01-15-17 03:11 AM
    Wait, they still make the Windows phone?

Posted via CB10 Passport
    01-15-17 08:47 AM
142 ... 3456