Bb10 have picture password, iphone 5S and Samsung S5 finger print password, LG double click on screen.. so BlackBerry passport should have a keyboard gesture password swiping on the keyboard like pattern password then phone unlocked what do you think?

Q5-10.3.0.700
    Elite1 and EsJayDee like this.
    08-12-14 05:23 AM
    Bb10 have picture password, iphone 5S and Samsung S5 finger print password, LG double click on screen.. so BlackBerry passport should have a keyboard gesture password swiping on the keyboard like pattern password then phone unlocked what do you think?

Q5-10.3.0.700
    That's a great idea

Posted via CB10
    EsJayDee and moegh like this.
    08-12-14 08:35 AM
    Yup nice idea, but is the keyboard big enough to make it obscure enough to be secure but fast enough to be convenient?

Check Out TechCraze

Edit maybe an adaptation of picture password that incorporates the keyboard..

Just had an awesome idea (I think)

Okay so here's how it works, you preselect maybe 3 or 4 or more words (you can choose how many but minimum 3), then when you activate the screen, one of those words appears on the screen and you have to input a a preselected swiping response (could even be as simple as swipe up on the left, middle or right)..

This is fairly secure because someone would have to know the response for each letter as they could not he sure which one would come up..

I'm expanding this as I'm writing so I've just thought to take it even further, a different area if the word would colour up or something or even an area of the screen that would indicate where the given response has to be (so this would be a combination of say a letter tap then a swipe up in a particular area of the screen)

But again the strength of this is only in the naiveness of the perp, I'm sure someone can play around with this to find the right balance though
    moegh likes this.
    08-12-14 08:58 AM
    Why not just using a password then?
    08-17-14 05:21 AM
    Why not just using a password then?
    Because it's not new, it's not exciting, we want something different!

Check Out TechCraze
    08-17-14 05:22 AM
    Oh, you don't care about protection... you only need it to be cool and new... -_-'

It's sad, really sad.
    08-17-14 11:34 AM
    Oh, you don't care about protection... you only need it to be cool and new... -_-'

It's sad, really sad.
    And one can't care about both because?

How secure is a pin that someone looking over your shoulder can just see and copy?

If you actually read my proposed ideas, I'm looking for a solution that is both easy for the user to do, but also secure so even if someone is looking they can't easily copy..

Check Out TechCraze
    08-17-14 11:49 AM

It's sad, really sad.
    And FYI I care about BlackBerry surviving, to do that they need to differentiate both in hardware and software with things that the user uses most, and one of those is pin. Fingerprint is being paraded as the most secure and also easiest form of password, I just want a BlackBerry version of that

Check Out TechCraze
    08-17-14 11:51 AM
    If you actually read my proposed ideas, I'm looking for a solution that is both easy for the user to do, but also secure so even if someone is looking they can't easily copy.
    Isn't current picture password enough secure?
    And more secure than what anyone proposed?
    08-17-14 03:54 PM
    Isn't current picture password enough secure?
    And more secure than what anyone proposed?
    Yes but it takes some time to bypass and a lot of people make mistakes, and some have got through it by accident..

Check Out TechCraze
    08-17-14 04:40 PM
    So pattern password is not that secure?
    I know alot of people use it and no one can guess what's it!

Q5-10.3.0.700
    08-17-14 07:19 PM
    Every password can be got by accident... It's just a matter or probability.
    08-18-14 02:30 AM
    Lick the keyboard to unlock. There's innovation for ya

Posted via CB10
    makarand14 likes this.
    08-18-14 02:42 AM
    Every password can be got by accident... It's just a matter or probability.
    Yes but picture password seems more probable to be unlocked by accident than say a swipe or pin

Check Out TechCraze
    08-18-14 02:44 AM
    How?
    First of all, a pin has 10^4 combinations (I don't even start on a proper password, which is a very long argument).

You are proposing 3^3 combinations... PROPOSING to the users the words, which is the worst thing you could do (giving suggestion to the thief).
    3^3 is just 27 combinations... you suggested 3^4 (81), or maybe 3^5 (243)... it's getting better, but nothing near.
    Also, you should take in consideration that a thief can VERY EASILY look your choice, unlike a pin (at least using a keypad, because is harder to locate the exact key pressed compared to a single line of numbers or a virtual screen with visual feedback).

What's your math for picture password?
    08-18-14 05:43 AM
    How?
    First of all, a pin has 10^4 combinations (I don't even start on a proper password, which is a very long argument).

You are proposing 3^3 combinations... PROPOSING to the users the words, which is the worst thing you could do (giving suggestion to the thief).
    3^3 is just 27 combinations... you suggested 3^4 (81), or maybe 3^5 (243)... it's getting better, but nothing near.
    Also, you should take in consideration that a thief can VERY EASILY look your choice, unlike a pin (at least using a keypad, because is harder to locate the exact key pressed compared to a single line of numbers or a virtual screen with visual feedback).

What's your math for picture password?
    I don't think you understand my idea.. and the maths of picture password are well documented in other threads

Check Out TechCraze
    08-18-14 06:16 AM
    Then explain it better, and point to me those threads.

And tell me why it should it better on easy of use, security and difficulty of copy.
    08-18-14 06:53 AM
    08-18-14 07:54 AM
    From that thread, read the whole post, please:
    I was able to crack my wife's PP after watching her unlock her phone just 3 times in a row. To be fair, I just happened to be looking in the right spot on the first time, and noticed that she lined up a specific number with a specific landmark right where I was looking, and the subsequent unlocks confirmed it. Though to be fair, if I watched her type in a regular password that closely 3 times in succession, I also would've figured out her password.

OTOH, I cracked my mother's PP on the first try without even watching her do it once. Picture of my daughter (her granddaughter) on the screen, and as the password, she chose my daughter's age, and centered it on a focal point on the screen (literally on a big red circle in the middle of the screen).

Moral of the story is... PP or no-PP, your security is only as good as your password. If you choose an obvious number and an obvious spot, it's not really that much different then using your name as your password or "letmein". It's probably more likely that someone *could* randomly swipe & happen to land the right number in the right spot vs. using a well-chosen password, but considering that they're only limited to 5 tries, it might be good enough for you. Fortunately, we get to choose which method we want to use (BES policies aside).
    I'm still waiting your better explanation, please consider the post above in your analysis.

And I didn't find a good mathematical explanation on how it's bad. At best, it ignores that numbers are constantly changing and you won't be able to reproduce the luck you got, and on every failed try, the grid become denser, even between sessions.

Picture password is secure with many people watching you unlocking it, that doesn't change the probability.
    A PIN or worst your idea (as I understood it works), isn't secure with a single person watching you unlocking it.
    08-18-14 08:47 AM
    At some point all these alternate password schemes risk become more cumbersome than useful. Besides Apple's fingerprint reader on the home button or Google's swipe pattern, it's easier to simply type in a password. At least that's how I see it. But then what do I know?
    08-18-14 10:07 AM

Q5-10.3.0.700
    Not a good idea. Keeping the existing password options is fine.

Posted via CB10
    rambo47 likes this.
    08-18-14 02:13 PM

Q5-10.3.0.700
    There's an app for that!

Actually their probably isn't BUT I am sure you or anyone could make one.

EDIT: I might actually try that if I get enough time and desire to try to create an app.
    08-18-14 03:39 PM
    At some point all these alternate password schemes risk become more cumbersome than useful. Besides Apple's fingerprint reader on the home button or Google's swipe pattern, it's easier to simply type in a password. At least that's how I see it. But then what do I know?
    That awkward moment when your home button breaks ..like my last ios device

From my mobile arsenal..zee z10
    08-26-14 02:29 AM