This could not be correct but that square on the back of the passport (when you crack open the top) is supposed to be white, right? I checked today and noticed the square is red. And to the best of my knowledge, the closest thing to water damage this phone got was sitting in my pocket at work (perspiration) and normal wear and tear type stuff.

I just thought it would be worth mentioning because I always kept my phone in a case at work and wouldn't have expected the water damage indicator to trigger. Phone is functioning normally, albeit with quite a bit less batter life than when I first got it
    09-20-17 07:36 PM
    This could not be correct but that square on the back of the passport (when you crack open the top) is supposed to be white, right? I checked today and noticed the square is red. And to the best of my knowledge, the closest thing to water damage this phone got was sitting in my pocket at work (perspiration) and normal wear and tear type stuff.

I just thought it would be worth mentioning because I always kept my phone in a case at work and wouldn't have expected the water damage indicator to trigger. Phone is functioning normally, albeit with quite a bit less batter life than when I first got it
    It would really depend on how much you perspire and the environment, too. But I did kill a Nikon camera years ago. The repair shop was sure that I had dropped it into the ocean. It was that corroded. But I did carry it across my chest while backpacking.
    09-21-17 12:17 AM
    It would really depend on how much you perspire and the environment, too. But I did kill a Nikon camera years ago. The repair shop was sure that I had dropped it into the ocean. It was that corroded. But I did carry it across my chest while backpacking.
    Similarly I have seen stories about the Fender (guitar) custom shop trying to duplicate the wear patterns on a guitar that was used by a famous musician - one of the wear issues they were trying to duplicate was that he had very acidic sweat and it had severely corroded some of the guitar parts.

Too bad about your Nikon - I have a Canon that I managed to lightly splash with sea water while photographing wales and it's still running fine - although, it wasn't drenched or anything.
    09-21-17 10:35 AM
    Yes you can. I used to know ladies who put in between their boobs and worked out and kill phones (9900s) this way.
    09-21-17 10:37 AM
    I have palmar hyperhidrosis and my square is perfectly white. Maybe there many other factors that could count, not only sweat.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-17 12:30 PM
    I'm not some sweat machine over here, but I do notice that depending on what activity I'm engaged in, I'll have to wipe down the screen after I remove it from my pocket. I figured this was not unusual to have the phone exposed to some degree of perspiration but maybe I'm wrong and was misusing it
    09-21-17 05:19 PM
    That's definitely what the square means. As long as the device is still working, I wouldn't sweat it. The square isn't anything more than a sticker that changes colour when wet.

I dropped mine into the tub a couple of years ago and that little red sqaure is brighter red than a Skittle now but my Passport is still going strong!
    09-21-17 05:53 PM
    didnt know about the square. i've lost a passport to water damage before..got caught in the rain on my bike. this one has seen its fair share of perspiration but the square is still white....it even got wet once (rain again) and had a blotchy screen but i overheated the phone by constantly rebooting it and it all dried out...screen is great other than lifting off the frame. i'd like to see more weather rersistance built into phones. they only cost $1000 now.

Posted via CBX
    09-21-17 06:18 PM
    didnt know about the square. i've lost a passport to water damage before..got caught in the rain on my bike. this one has seen its fair share of perspiration but the square is still white....it even got wet once (rain again) and had a blotchy screen but i overheated the phone by constantly rebooting it and it all dried out...screen is great other than lifting off the frame. i'd like to see more weather rersistance built into phones. they only cost $1000 now.

Posted via CBX
    Hah no kidding. Clearly the passpsort isn't the most weather resistant phone blackberry has ever made...my Q10 somehow survived a wash cycle for crying out loud; granted, the sticker definitely turned red after that. It almost makes something like the S8 have greater value than I would've thought initially, it takes balls to certify IP68 on a phone. Balls and r&d. Those new Iphones are still only 67 which is rather disappointing for the price
    09-21-17 06:51 PM
    Similarly I have seen stories about the Fender (guitar) custom shop trying to duplicate the wear patterns on a guitar that was used by a famous musician - one of the wear issues they were trying to duplicate was that he had very acidic sweat and it had severely corroded some of the guitar parts.

Too bad about your Nikon - I have a Canon that I managed to lightly splash with sea water while photographing wales and it's still running fine - although, it wasn't drenched or anything.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...troy-body.html
    09-21-17 06:54 PM