Being on Verizon I didn't have the option of getting a passport for use on my network so i decided to look into getting a data only plan some place so I could use an Android or iPhone on VZW and keep my unlimited plan while still having my berry for messaging. Thats when I came across Harbor Mobile which is a reseller of T-mobile and they have some fantastic cheap plans.

All you need is a T mobile sim card and you can sign up online you also need to put in a fictional company name since its a business plan. I went with the tablet plan which is 15 bucks a month for 5 gigs of high speed LTE and got an HTC One for a good price elsewhere to use on big red.

I am getting full Tmobile LTE on my passport and the set up was painless with the exception of it took about 12 hours to be activated.

I know a lot of people don't like carrying two phones but if you been itching for a passport and still want to keep Verizon for voice or for your unlimited plan you should look into this

Also if you are jsut looking ot lower your monthly bill you should look into it, they currently have unlimited talk text and data for $50 a month plus tax
    02-03-15 09:52 AM
    That's an excellent option for some! Full LTE speed you say, it's not capped at 8 mbps?

" I do not think that word means what you think it means. "
    02-03-15 09:55 AM
    "PLEASE NOTE: This data plan WILL work in a tablet or a Hotspot device, however it will NOT work on a voice device. "

No issues working on your Passport?
    Have you tried SIP Phone for Voice? Taki or SIP.fm?
    Works fine?

Also doesn't say what happens after 5 GB? is it throttled or just cut off.
    02-03-15 10:35 AM
    That's an excellent option for some! Full LTE speed you say, it's not capped at 8 mbps?

Not Capped, speed test has shown me get as high as 22mb down
    02-03-15 10:51 AM
    "PLEASE NOTE: This data plan WILL work in a tablet or a Hotspot device, however it will NOT work on a voice device. "

No issues working on your Passport?
    Have you tried SIP Phone for Voice? Taki or SIP.fm?
    Works fine?

Also doesn't say what happens after 5 GB? is it throttled or just cut off.
    No issues working on passport and no I have not tried SIP for voice

After 5gb you are throttled
    anon(2313227) likes this.
    02-03-15 10:52 AM
    Nice find. I was actually in mid process of getting on Harbor Mobile. Porting my number out of Tmo and back in to Harbor Mobile just takes me a few days.

It's the only logical next step from the $30 TmoUS unlimited 5GB LTE / 100 Minute plan.
    anon(2313227) likes this.
    02-03-15 04:38 PM
    Nice find. I was actually in mid process of getting on Harbor Mobile. Porting my number out of Tmo and back in to Harbor Mobile just takes me a few days.

It's the only logical next step from the $30 TmoUS unlimited 5GB LTE / 100 Minute plan.
    Unless you need more voice minutes whats the advantage to the $30 Harbor? I think it would be highly unlikely you could port a number to the $15 data only tablet plan.
    02-03-15 05:59 PM
    Not bad I have cricket that is on at&t network 4g LTE almost everywhere, $40.00 -3G data & unlimited talk and text with taxes and fees included.

Posted via J's Blackberry passport
    02-03-15 06:02 PM
    5GB for 15 bucks! amazing Thanks for sharing!
    02-03-15 06:29 PM
    Unless you need more voice minutes whats the advantage to the $30 Harbor? I think it would be highly unlikely you could port a number to the $15 data only tablet plan.
    There's no porting for a tablet plan since there's no number to port. In this scenario you are just dropping in a T Mobile sim and going data only on the Passport (not something I'm ready for yet).

But, the advantage for me in leaving the $30 plan is having more than 100 minutes. Paying $10 extra per month or $120 per year is still worth it. I've added a little over $70 all last year just to have more talk time. I think it's of value for my use.

@jackdunhill would you mind letting me know if the Hotspot feature still works on the Passport? And if any devices can connect and browse the Internet without issue? That's the only question I have for the Passport. I realize TmoUS blacklists some IMEIs, but the Passport has seemed to work with the Hotspot feature since day one. Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    02-03-15 08:02 PM
    Have you tried the Fongo app and use it on the Passport? I wish there's some sort of deal like this in Canada so I could buy and pay for data only and not have to pay for voice + data.

There's no porting for a tablet plan since there's no number to port. In this scenario you are just dropping in a T Mobile sim and going data only on the Passport (not something I'm ready for yet).

But, the advantage for me in leaving the $30 plan is having more than 100 minutes. Paying $10 extra per month or $120 per year is still worth it. I've added a little over $70 all last year just to have more talk time. I think it's of value for my use.

@jackdunhill would you mind letting me know if the Hotspot feature still works on the Passport? And if any devices can connect and browse the Internet without issue? That's the only question I have for the Passport. I realize TmoUS blacklists some IMEIs, but the Passport has seemed to work with the Hotspot feature since day one. Thanks.

Posted via CB10

Once you go black, you can't turn back! Posted via CB10
    02-03-15 09:07 PM
    Have you tried the Fongo app and use it on the Passport? I wish there's some sort of deal like this in Canada so I could buy and pay for data only and not have to pay for voice + data.

Once you go black, you can't turn back! Posted via CB10
    Nope, haven't tried Fongo. BBW has the app but it comes up as 'unavailable for this device'. Also looks to be for Canada only.

What I have been using is my home Voip service and the Bria app.

Posted via CB10
    02-03-15 09:11 PM
    There's no porting for a tablet plan since there's no number to port.

Posted via CB10
    Actually I was given a new phone number for my tablet only sim. I didn't get to choose but it was assigned.

Trying to turn mobile hot spot on took me to a pop saying I had to enroll in the feature. When I click continue I get taken to the tmo website to sign up for mobile hotspot
    Last edited by jackdunhill; 02-03-15 at 10:50 PM.
    mister2d likes this.
    02-03-15 10:28 PM

Trying to turn mobile hot spot on took me to a pop saying I had to enroll in the feature. When I click continue I get taken to the tmo website to sign up for mobile hotspot
    Thanks. Since I am going for the $40 phone plan, I'm hoping I'll be unaffected. Still good to know that it doesn't work on the tablet plan.

Posted via CB10
    02-04-15 08:40 AM
    The $30 /100 min, 5GB unlimited plan works for hotspot. I hopped on my Wife's passport last time on my spare phone.
    02-04-15 08:46 AM
    The $30 /100 min, 5GB unlimited plan works for hotspot. I hopped on my Wife's passport last time on my spare phone.
    Indeed. That's the plan I've had for over a year. I'm hoping the $40 plan with this reseller will work as well. I'll report my findings.
    02-04-15 06:55 PM
    I looked at the Harbor info today. WOW. That should sell very well.

02-04-15 09:27 PM
    I'm all transferred over through Harbor Mobile. Hotspot works without issue with my Passport. Typing this now with my Nexus 7.

I may downgrade to the $30 plan since they all have the music freedom feature from T-Mobile. BUT having rollover data for $40/month is tempting to keep, plus they give you 10GB to start out.
    02-05-15 09:16 AM
    On their site it shows you you have hotspots for all the plans. Just not shown on the $15 data only plan.
    02-05-15 09:42 AM
    On their site it shows you you have hotspots for all the plans. Just not shown on the $15 data only plan.
    Yes. But it's confusing isn't it? Only the unlimited plan shows how much Hotspot data is allowed. The cheaper plans are blank.

No matter since It works like a charm. I can now stream Spotify on "Extreme" without any data being debited. Incredible deal.

Posted via CB10
    02-05-15 10:34 AM
    I'm all transferred over through Harbor Mobile. Hotspot works without issue with my Passport. Typing this now with my Nexus 7.

I may downgrade to the $30 plan since they all have the music freedom feature from T-Mobile. BUT having rollover data for $40/month is tempting to keep, plus they give you 10GB to start out.
    Awesome Im happy someone else was able to take advantage
    mister2d likes this.
    02-05-15 11:30 AM
    22 mbps..... that's a good speed and a great plan too :-)

Posted via CB10
    02-05-15 11:37 AM