The Z10 is what made BlackBerry take a near $1billion writedown. The Z30 was sold hardly anywhere because carriers were wary after seeing what happened with the Z10.

What has changed on the app front from the Z10 to now? We have an Amazon App Store. Do you think that's enough to sell a bunch of high end all touch devices?? BlackBerry can't afford another $1billion writedown. There realistically aren't many Z10 and Z30 owners out there. It's not like there are just hundreds of millions of people waiting to get their hands on a high end all touch screen BlackBerry device.

Posted via CB10
    If they had made as many Passports as they made Z10, it would have been a worse write down because of fewer sales. The write down was due to overproduction and over estimation of sales. It still sold more at full price than the Passport did. Same with the poor selling Classic. There are realistically more Z owners than Classic and Passport owners.

Posted via Z30
    08-07-15 09:37 PM
    The 'Silver Edition' is the residue of original BlackBerry Passport.
    BlackBerry probably still have inventories of original Passport parts (hardware). Instead of writing off these parts, BlackBerry put them in a new silvery colored redesigned body - and 'POP!', they have the Silver Edition which also somehow tells the mobile world that BlackBerry is still exist regardless of what...

Some called it 'recycling' but I guess, 'maximisation of resources' is the right term... and I'm sure Chen will agree on that...

Posted via CB10
    08-07-15 09:48 PM
    IMHO: SE > AT&T > OG Red > OG Black or White

The AT&T Passport had me a little interested... the Silver Edition has moved the needle closer to want. Sucks, because I would still like to feel one in-hand before dropping $550 on an unlocked phone.
    08-07-15 09:50 PM

The AT&T Passport had me a little interested... the Silver Edition has moved the needle closer to want. Sucks, because I would still like to feel one in-hand before dropping $550 on an unlocked phone.
    When you buy unlocked you can sell at a better price. I got my original Passport last year and sold it now for almost 400 USD. Get it! You won't regret it

Posted via BlackBerry Passport SE
    08-07-15 09:52 PM

It has a great hand feel. Very solid.
    But I'd rank it:

Black OG > SE > Red/White OG > ATT (that's design-wise).

Posted via CB10
    08-08-15 12:05 AM
    I honestly see a big difference in signal strength in my house, I was getting a lot disconnect around my house on my red
    Thank you for your input. This is something that really bothered me. I had the Red Edition for a while and the signal sucked on it. My SE is on the way and I'm hoping the signal change is dramatic. Or i'll keep my classic.

Posted via CB10
    08-08-15 01:01 AM
    Awesome silver..too bad no improv on the hardware specs..if not will make everyone jealous of you. I wish to upgrade to next version of passport in 2 or 3 years down the road..

BB PP on DiGi Telco SP
    08-08-15 01:48 AM
    Awesome silver..too bad no improv on the hardware specs..if not will make everyone jealous of you. I wish to upgrade to next version of passport in 2 or 3 years down the road..

BB PP on DiGi Telco SP
    Let's be real: if you want to make people jealous of your phone, owning a BlackBerry is the wrong way to go about doing so.
    08-08-15 03:21 AM
    If they had made as many Passports as they made Z10, it would have been a worse write down because of fewer sales. The write down was due to overproduction and over estimation of sales. It still sold more at full price than the Passport did. Same with the poor selling Classic. There are realistically more Z owners than Classic and Passport owners.

Posted via Z30
    .. But they didn't make as many Passports as they made Z10s. That's called "learning your lesson."

The opposite of BlackBerry learning its lesson would be if it produced a high end all touch phone with the same abysmal app situation as that has plagued BlackBerry 10 since early 2013.

I wish It made sense for them to produce an updated Z30. I liked my Z10 and love my Z30. But it doesn't make financial sense for them to go down the same exact road and hope it leads to somewhere other than failure.
    7onZ likes this.
    08-08-15 03:26 AM
    .. But they didn't make as many Passports as they made Z10s. That's called "learning your lesson."

The opposite of BlackBerry learning its lesson would be if it produced a high end all touch phone with the same abysmal app situation as that has plagued BlackBerry 10 since early 2013.

I wish It made sense for them to produce an updated Z30. I liked my Z10 and love my Z30. But it doesn't make financial sense for them to go down the same exact road and hope it leads to somewhere other than failure.
    BB10 is better now than when the Z10 and Z30 were released. If they produce a new all touch with Passport specs, and had the production in the same cautious way as the Passport to control inventory, and then they sold way more devices than the Passport would that be a failure? If the Z line was a sales failure, then the Passport and Classic are too.

Your basically implying that since they over produced the Z10, they have to over produce any all touch they make from here on out, but they can only make the Passport and Classic in small quantities to control inventory and therefore it makes sense to only produce PKB devices. Bad logic. If they can make a higher PKB that had poor sales like the Passport profitable, then they should be able to make an all touch with the same guts as the Passport either higher sales more profitable. That is my logic.

Posted via Z30
    08-08-15 05:42 AM
    That's nice, when is Tmobile suppose to pick this up ? I believe I saw something about they were gonna sell it.

Sent from my iPhone 6Plus  using Tapatalk
    08-08-15 05:53 AM
    Great to hear that the keys are softer to press

Posted via CB10
    08-08-15 06:04 AM
    The silver edition is slightly bigger? This was to improve the antenna?, and reception performance? If it does, particularly for wifi, this is important..

Posted via CB10
    08-08-15 06:09 AM
    The silver edition is slightly bigger? This was to improve the antenna?, and reception performance? If it does, particularly for wifi, this is important..

Posted via CB10
    That's what I'm saying. Better signal means longer battery life and better online experience.

Posted via CB10
    08-08-15 06:13 AM

Posted via CB10
    They've added a bit of length to the chin below the keyboard to provide better balance for typing. They also rearranged the antenna internally for better reception.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    bungaboy and Jakobroxx like this.
    08-08-15 06:15 AM
    There is one thing for sure that would have made me buying a new PP and that is: LESS weight! Yeah the PP feels great but 20-40g less weight would have been very nice.
    I like the Porsche BB designs but don't think this Silver Edition is a Porsche design in any way. I find it way less sexy than the original one which was curvy and edgy what made it look elegant, weird and business-like! The new one, to me, just looks boring. Not ugly but still not sexy and special like the original PP. It just looks like every BB only wider! Again, boring to me!
    But everyone has it's own taste! Still, when it comes to design and looks I'm very, very happy with my white PP!

PS: I never got that much attention when it comes to phones, not even with the first iPhone no one had! Everyone I'm talking too seeing my PP asks me about it! I don't think that would be case with the SE!
    czechberry likes this.
    08-08-15 06:37 AM
    I think Blackberry did an amazing job with the Silver Edition. I was fortunate enough to be able to order one and can't wait for it to arrive. It still needs a screen protector though.
    Ziro1 likes this.
    08-08-15 06:50 AM
    Great photos. I like the flip cover.
    Ziro1 likes this.
    08-08-15 08:02 AM
    Great looking device! I'm sure as others has said, I wish BlackBerry make a CDMA one to work on Verizon's network.

Posted via CB10
    08-08-15 08:05 AM
    Agreed as well the tastes people have is just as varied as the peeps using all the different BB devices. I frankly love the special edition silver design. Ive never been one for gold anything or colored anything. I use a silver gucci watch, Beats space gray ear sets, silver jewellry, silver sunglasses and such. I would love to add this to my "silver" collection of stuff I use and wear on a daily basis.
    However I will wait till the first batch of them go out first to see if there are any issues. It's always smart to wait for new technology to settle in before making the jump.

Passport SQW100-1 / leak 10.3.2.2252 Rogers Wireless Posted via CB
    JanuarJaguar likes this.
    08-08-15 09:02 AM
    Nothing will resonate with everyone.

Posted via CB10
    08-08-15 09:10 AM
    Thanks to the OP for posting such detailed pictures, I was on the fence on "upgrading" from the OG Black to the Silver Edition, and I was sold by looking at your pictures... Placed my order Today.. Hopefully this would be another positive experience from Blackberry
    Ziro1 likes this.
    08-08-15 09:32 AM
    Thanks to the OP for posting such detailed pictures, I was on the fence on "upgrading" from the OG Black to the Silver Edition, and I was sold by looking at your pictures... Placed my order Today.. Hopefully this would be another positive experience from Blackberry
    Thank you, you will not regret it, i love my SE!!!! My Red one is on ebay already
    08-08-15 09:38 AM
    Hey OP! You mentioned that you are a jeweler! Can you create a mens ring with the BlackBerry logo in silver for me? I would say the logo in diamonds but out of reach at the moment

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.2339
    Sorry, we closed our business years ago
    08-08-15 09:41 AM
    Man I have never seen such beautiful photos of silver edition which looks so elegant and sophisticated. I think normal photos of silver edition does not do justice for how beautiful and posh the phone looks in real!! Truly admiring this beauty!!

Posted via CB10
    Ziro1 likes this.
    08-08-15 11:00 AM
115 ... 2345