Just posting to say I love the thread and nice work with the knife

The photos are definitely good. I wonder how the guts compare to my standard passport

Posted to CB via my Passport | Lloyd Summers | FileArchiveHaven
    Crack yours open and take a look!
    johnny_bravo72 likes this.
    11-16-15 10:49 AM
    Wanted to update this thread with my continued abuse. I've tossed this thing across the room, directly at hard objects, and banged the screen a few times. Also dropped it from a bunch of heights over and over, and kicked it a few more times, and also chucked it even more. But besides some scuffs on the metal frame (and one mysterious notch in the speaker plastic), the device is fine. Well, and the back does come off, but it's easy to snap it back on. Would likely only lift in one or two spots if it was still screwed in at the top.

So while the build quality is problematic, the durability is solid. I don't think there's any reason to use a case, unless you want to keep the device as pristine as possible. Granted, I couldn't test the durability of the keyboard cover, as I pried it off with a knife...

Still would never buy another one, though. May be durable, but I can't stomach known build quality issues at this price point.
    dusanvn likes this.
    11-16-15 03:42 PM
    I've had two Passports, OG and SE, no problems of any sort with either. I've had BlackBerry since the original smartphone and never had a hardware issue, never returned a phone, never replaced a screen, never cracked the molding. These are amazing, incredible machines that are running 24/7, 365 days a year. Treated with a modicum of respect my experience is that they never wear out.

Posted via CB10
    LoneStarRed likes this.
    11-16-15 05:30 PM
    I've had two Passports, OG and SE, no problems of any sort with either. I've had BlackBerry since the original smartphone and never had a hardware issue, never returned a phone, never replaced a screen, never cracked the molding. These are amazing, incredible machines that are running 24/7, 365 days a year. Treated with a modicum of respect my experience is that they never wear out.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah we will trust you over our eyes and same mind...sure...sure...and for all ironic replies...denial is no way to go...BB sold you low quality for premium...dig it...

11-18-15 01:36 PM
    I just received my first Silver Edition Passport and overall the build quality is actually very good. The there is a very slight amount of screen lift at the top right corner of the screen, if you could even call it that. The screen is merely a fraction of a human hair's width higher than the metal frame. Cause for concern? Probably not.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-16 01:38 PM
    lol... it's Swiss knife! I thought that you can send someone into the wilderness with that pocket knife and they build you a shopping mall...

Posted via CB10
    Not a shopping mall, but a watch factory absolutely.

"I don't think that word means what you think it means."
    01-12-16 09:02 PM
    Yeah we will trust you over our eyes and same mind...sure...sure...and for all ironic replies...denial is no way to go...BB sold you low quality for premium...dig it...

I'm with you! Let's storm the castle! Better yet, let's go get iphone 6s. NEVER a quality issue with an iphone. Or Samsung.

"I don't think that word means what you think it means."
    01-12-16 09:06 PM
    Hard to explain the variation in the quality of the build of the devices. I have had 7 Passports in my small business (6 original, 1 SE) and no issues. I have dropped my SE on concrete about 15 times, naked phone, (dropping out of pockets while working in barns on horses) and the only issue is mildly scarred edges. It has proven to be remarkably tough.

Hope I did not jinx myself.
    01-12-16 09:50 PM
    I have a simple self repair which worked for me and does not void the warranty.

Take a length of clear wide packing tape and carefully place it across the entire screen in line with where the screen lift is located. Very firmly pull the ends of the tape across the sides and around the back of the device so the screen is pulled back in place. Smooth any bubbles out with a credit card or something like that.

Use the device as normal. You can leave it like that indefinitely but you will find you can remove the tape after a few weeks and the screen will stay in place. Good as new with no super glue.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-16 04:14 PM
    Cameron are you just going from thread to thread copying and pasting the same comment? I think I must have seen the same thing about 5 times now!

Written with my  Passport
    01-24-16 11:12 AM
    Cameron are you just going from thread to thread copying and pasting the same comment? I think I must have seen the same thing about 5 times now!

Written with my  Passport
    Lol same here

Posted via CB10
    01-24-16 01:16 PM
    I've had at least 6 ppse replaced for various issues including multiple screen lift, poor fitting sim cover and creaky/squishy back panel. My current ppse is actually as close to perfect as I could hope to have at this point, and I may try to sell it on Kijiji and buy a Priv

Posted via CB10 on PPSE
    01-24-16 01:47 PM
    What a friggin' waste.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    01-24-16 04:05 PM
    What a friggin' waste.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    You're right, I can think of so many better uses of all that steel. Like a hood ornament.
    01-24-16 04:08 PM
    OP, could you give further detail as to the actual method of attaching the screen to the SE frame? You were saying that it was a thin strip of foam? So did you replace the foam? Or did you put double sided tape behind the screen? Looking at the pictures you posted, it looks like there's a processor chip in the top right corner under the screen that could be causing it to lift?

Posted via CB10
    02-07-16 08:22 PM
    OP, could you give further detail as to the actual method of attaching the screen to the SE frame? You were saying that it was a thin strip of foam? So did you replace the foam? Or did you put double sided tape behind the screen? Looking at the pictures you posted, it looks like there's a processor chip in the top right corner under the screen that could be causing it to lift?

Posted via CB10
    You can see in the picture that there's an indent in the body to accommodate it - the chip isn't causing the screen to press up (and that would mean anybody using the clipboard method would be wrecking their display). It seems to be the adhesive keeping the screen down is weaker at the top, or is becoming weaker at some point. I was concerned about the massive amount of heat the device gives off after first boot, but I had battery saving mode on the first few days to prevent this - and the screens are coming pre-lifted without ever turning it on.

So this combined with the shoddy plastic molding along the keyboard area and bottom speakers, leads me to believe BlackBerry doesn't feel the need to correct this. And since BB10 is dead, I'm not surprised.
    02-07-16 08:28 PM
    Is it easy to remove the screen to add a double sided tape to reinforce the screen into its place?

Posted via CB10
    02-07-16 09:23 PM
42 12