I started this in another thread, but figured it'd be better to not derail that one.

So recap. I was a bit annoyed that BlackBerry couldn't be bothered to mold plastic correctly for the keyboard cover, and that the screen was lifted near the top of the device, above the bezel. Not deterred by $500, I took my trusted knife and proceeded to take the keyboard cover off. From this adventure, I found that not only is the keyboard cover plastic (well, I kind of all ready knew that), but it's flimsy, and is kept on the main unit with adhesive and pinholes to ensure a perfect application at the factory. Which still doesn't explain why it's so not-uniform, even on the same side (this is most apparent on the side with the speaker plate). I thought the speaker plate was flimsy and warped, but it's actually fairly thick and reinforced in several areas. It's all the keyboard cover.

i.imgur.com/snAD9HL.jpg

Next, I was curious about the screen. Why is it lifted above the top bezel, and why is that the case on every device? You can see from the sides that the screen is below the bezel from the bottom to middle, and then seems to meet and then rise past the bezel as it comes to the top.

So I pried the screen off the device. It's stuck onto a strip of foam that runs all around it, and it looks like the area below the screen is more metal than the whole keyboard area. Also at the top of the screen's back side are ribbons and wires, but no clear reason for there to be a lift, besides a shoddy application the first time. I re-applied the screen, and now it's fine - for now. So why couldn't BlackBerry fix this at the factory? Like the keyboard cover, they must have seen this issue in pre-production units.

i.imgur.com/E52R5Os.jpg

This wasn't very scientific, but I did find that I seem to care more about the device than BlackBerry does, even while knifing it. I should do a proper dis-assemble sometime. And then use the steel frame for a modern art project.
    Attached Thumbnails I crammed a knife all around my Silver Edition-img_0003.jpg   I crammed a knife all around my Silver Edition-img_0004.jpg  
    Last edited by senornathan; 11-15-15 at 08:13 AM.
    MBrettH, Alain_A and dusanvn like this.
    11-14-15 06:15 AM
    Rest assured the screen will lift off again!
    Unless you glued it to the frame od drilled and tapped some holes and used screws to attach it.

I started this in another thread, but figured it'd be better to not derail that one.

So recap. I was a bit annoyed that BlackBerry couldn't be bothered to mold plastic correctly for the keyboard cover, and that the screen was lifted near the top of the device, above the bezel. Not deterred by $500, I took my trusted knife and proceeded to take the keyboard cover off. From this adventure, I found that not only is the keyboard cover plastic (well, I kind of all ready knew that), but it's flimsy, and is kept on the main unit with adhesive and pinholes to ensure a perfect application at the factory. Which still doesn't explain why it's so not-uniform, even on the same side (this is most apparent on the side with the speaker plate). I thought the speaker plate was flimsy and warped, but it's actually fairly thick and reinforced in several areas. It's all the keyboard cover.

i.imgur.com/snAD9HL.jpg

Next, I was curious about the screen. Why is it lifted above the top bezel, and why is that the case on every device? You can see from the sides that the screen is below the bezel from the bottom to middle, and then seems to meet and then rise past the bezel as it comes to the top.

So I pried the screen off the device. It's stuck onto a strip of foam that runs all around it, and it looks like the area below the screen is more metal than the whole keyboard area. Also at the top of the screen's back side are ribbons and wires, but no clear reason for there to be a lift, besides a shoddy application the first time. I re-applied the screen, and now it's fine - for now. So why couldn't BlackBerry fix this at the factory? Like the keyboard cover, they must have seen this issue in pre-production units.

i.imgur.com/E52R5Os.jpg

This wasn't very scientific, but I did find that I seem to care more about the device than BlackBerry does, even while knifing it. I should do a proper dis-assemble sometime. And then use the steel frame for a modern art project.
    11-14-15 10:26 PM
    I'm very poor in imagination... can you please post the picture of the knife you used?

Posted via CB10
    11-14-15 10:41 PM
    Ok Mr. Knife crammer...

Posted via CB10
    11-14-15 11:06 PM
    I'm very poor in imagination... can you please post the picture of the knife you used?

Posted via CB10
    The culprit (see attached).
    Attached Thumbnails I crammed a knife all around my Silver Edition-img_0007.jpg  
    11-15-15 08:09 AM
    lol... it's Swiss knife! I thought that you can send someone into the wilderness with that pocket knife and they build you a shopping mall...

Posted via CB10
    texn884 and MBrettH like this.
    11-15-15 09:50 AM

i.imgur.com/snAD9HL.jpg

i.imgur.com/E52R5Os.jpg

Sooo, your screen is fixed, but your keyboard cover seems to be broken.

Posted via CB10/BB PP SE.
    11-15-15 09:59 AM
    Maybe this will help others...
    My lower right corner of the screen was lifting and figured that's it's not the adhesive as everyone keeps saying but that the phone is actually warped so all I did was apply upward pressure to opposite side and hold down the lifting end and all fixed.
    Problem solved.

Blackberry Passport
    11-15-15 10:05 AM
    You should give Ben Carson a shout. He likes knives too!

Posted via CB10
    texn884 likes this.
    11-15-15 10:10 AM
    Screwdriver was too far out? Good job busting your keyboard cover for no particular reason lol
    11-15-15 10:25 AM
    Screwdriver was too far out? Good job busting your keyboard cover for no particular reason lol
    I did it for science! And what, you don't open your sensitive electronics with a sharp blade?
    MBrettH likes this.
    11-15-15 10:34 AM
    How weird. I just bought my passport and used it. Isn't that what it's for??

ⓟⓐⓢⓢⓟⓞⓡⓣ
    David Tyler likes this.
    11-15-15 10:50 AM
    I did it for science! And what, you don't open your sensitive electronics with a sharp blade?
    I use a blunt knife so as not to cut myself!
    11-15-15 07:05 PM
    How weird. I just bought my passport and used it. Isn't that what it's for??

ⓟⓐⓢⓢⓟⓞⓡⓣ
    After my fourth Silver Edition, I was fed up with the persistent issue of both the screen lift and crappy work on the keyboard cover. It was oddly therapeutic to see the speaker plate is actually rather solid - I originally thought it was warped, but it's the keyboard cover that makes it appear as such.

But really, doesn't this bug other people? You throw down $500-600, and have a poorly molded phone with known defects? It seems BlackBerry gets away with this nonsense all the time. I love the Passport, but it's ridiculous.
    MBrettH likes this.
    11-15-15 07:15 PM
    I would be upset if I were you, OP. Have you tried to open an RMA with BlackBerry see what you can do about it with them?

I am like you OP at some point like to DIY fixing things here and there. Also, keep in mind that BlackBerry is no different from other manufactures ie: Apple. They are here to make $$$, the difference is how they deal with warranty, which apple apple does a great job. I am lucky that my current passport and previous BlackBerry never had these issues but I would be just upset as you throwing my hard earned cash to such premium devices with lousy finish job.

Posted via CB10
    MBrettH likes this.
    11-15-15 07:28 PM
    Every passport I've had, 5 or 6 so far... have had lousy QC. 3 of them had screen lift, not a single one has had consistent height for the 'frets'.
    The top volume button is always flimsy compared to the others... the metal frame seems to be too big on the left side (you could put a piece of paper between it and the screen/keyboard)

But in the end it's a great device... so I can deal with these minor flaws. Warranty is almost up though :s
    11-15-15 07:43 PM
    My ATT PP is perfect.
    You attempted murder on the SE but like the 6 million dollar man he survived and can run faster and is strong and has that bionic eye and maybe you can see thru chicks cloths but maybe not
    MBrettH likes this.
    11-15-15 08:47 PM
    I'm on my second SE and this is the second one with multiple build problems, some are same as OP describes so I can feel what he feels. I would not risk another replacement for fear from internal, more serious, defects such as overheat, self-reboot etc.

11-15-15 09:02 PM
    I would be upset if I were you, OP. Have you tried to open an RMA with BlackBerry see what you can do about it with them?

I am like you OP at some point like to DIY fixing things here and there. Also, keep in mind that BlackBerry is no different from other manufactures ie: Apple. They are here to make $$$, the difference is how they deal with warranty, which apple apple does a great job. I am lucky that my current passport and previous BlackBerry never had these issues but I would be just upset as you throwing my hard earned cash to such premium devices with lousy finish job.

Posted via CB10
    I'd just receive another one with the same problems. Four devices, different stores (and stock), same issues. Perhaps there are some "perfect" Silver Editions out there without these problems, but the odds don't seem to be there to receive one. I have no doubt that if Apple did a similar shoddy job (and I doubt they would), they'd be roasted for it. But after several years with BlackBerry devices, I'm not surprised - there always seems to be at least one issue with their devices that they never see the need to fix. Always some "perfect" ones out there, but it seems it's never a simple bad batch.

My ATT PP is perfect.
    You attempted murder on the SE but like the 6 million dollar man he survived and can run faster and is strong and has that bionic eye and maybe you can see thru chicks cloths but maybe not
    I removed the keyboard cover and screen in a non-destructive fashion (well, the keyboard cover is ruined, but that wasn't hard to do). Of course it still works - functionality isn't an issue, but I shouldn't go "well, at least the phone works fine" and be thankful and happy. If I bought a MacBook and there was a dent in the body, it doesn't matter if it still functions fine. After a certain price point, these kinds of things are unacceptable.

Even with all this, I do love the Silver Edition, but I doubt I'd ever buy another. That's what kills me about BlackBerry - I love BlackBerry 10, but I wish somebody else would make the hardware for them.
    MBrettH likes this.
    11-15-15 09:06 PM
    When I had mine from shopbb it was perfect. I should have kept it. Now I'm afraid to reorder one..Lol
    MBrettH likes this.
    11-15-15 10:12 PM
    So because clearly IDGAF, I decided to see how durable the Silver Edition is. Which means I dropped it from various heights and threw it around the room a lot, and deliberately smashed it on the metal frames of my tables. Verdict: Pretty damn tough, actually. Besides some slight scuffing on the metal frame (of the device, not the tables), there's no visible signs of damage. Oh, and the back started to warp and lift, but that's an easy fix to re-apply it (it actually straightened back out once I removed it, so it looks like some contacts just became loose from all the tossing). But before I do that, I used this as a chance to see the other side of the device's internals.

Imgur link because the forum's uploader is broken:

I crammed a knife all around my Silver Edition-hhi7nkx.jpg

Edit: Spoke too soon! The back is cracked! And missing some bits in a corner See attached.

I crammed a knife all around my Silver Edition-bzfiiyq.jpg

I crammed a knife all around my Silver Edition-otzkhim.jpg

Revised verdict? FAILED. Well, actually, still not too bad. But seriously, BlackBerry, the shoddy screen and keyboard cover work is unacceptable.
    11-16-15 09:51 AM
    Actually, the back is pretty screwed and is also cracked near the flash window. But this also means if the lens is cracked, it's actually not - that's a separate window on the detachable back. I imagine if BlackBerry were to send out a replacement back, it would be easy to correct. But what happened is, the back is screwed in from the top in both corners, and I pried it off and broke those contacts. Whoops. On the bright side, now it looks even cooler from the back with all the chips exposed. Now this is a naked device.

Edit: Good as new!

I crammed a knife all around my Silver Edition-8qybg2g.jpg
    Last edited by senornathan; 11-16-15 at 10:15 AM.
    11-16-15 10:04 AM
    I thought it's carbon fibre or kevlar or something. Obviously I was wrong. It's cheapy plastic.

11-16-15 10:29 AM
    I thought it's carbon fibre or kevlar or something. Obviously I was wrong. It's cheapy plastic.

It's indeed plastic with a rubberized/textured back. But I think the cracks were my fault - I snapped it off without removing the two top screws that hold it securely into the top.

Even with the raised screen, there's no scratches or cracks that I can see on it when I tossed it face-first into walls and objects, and smashed it on the sides of my tables. But that's more a testament to Gorilla Glass 3. It should still be below the bezel entirely.

I did toss the device a few more times, and the back has stayed on for the most part, but does become loose every few tosses. The fact that it's no longer secured from the top likely doesn't help.

So durability-wise, the Silver Edition is excellent, Build quality-wise, the screen and keyboard cover are still unacceptable.
    dusanvn and MBrettH like this.
    11-16-15 10:35 AM
    Just posting to say I love the thread and nice work with the knife

The photos are definitely good. I wonder how the guts compare to my standard passport

Posted to CB via my Passport | Lloyd Summers | FileArchiveHaven
    11-16-15 10:46 AM
42 12