I love the Z30. So the Passport has big shoes to fill. And I am really on the fence now.

I miss the OLED screen a lot. I prefer the richness and the deep blacks. It's just more readable. But the Passport is brighter, and the screen more oil repellent.

Despite the wide-is-better claims I am not seeing more onscreen. The Z30 shows me more. It has bigger, bolder fonts--especially in the hub, but also just in the status us bar--like the clock. The light grey text in the Passport hub is just annoying and harder to read.

And why is there no way to go to the next email within an email? A weird choice to remove.

The Passport also runs hot, charges hot. I never felt the Z30 get hot.

Having to go up to the virtual keyboard for punctuation feels awkward and unnatural. Very difficult to adjust to. And the full virtual keyboard on the Z30 gave more guesses/predictions since it was scattered within the letters too. The Passport only gives 3 choices. I feel like I typed faster on the Z30 (but more time /practice could help). I also miss the two-finger swipe to delete two words--a useful feature.

The faster processor and additional ram are usually noticeable, but not always. On a side-by-side browser speed test the Z30 often wins handily. It's not consistent at all. Battery life is better, but the Z30 was no slouch in this area, and I didn't complain.

And of course it's heavier and harder to use one-handed.

It's a real toss up right now, but I'm starting to think that I didn't gain enough, and should have stayed with the wonderful Z30.

Just my 2 cents.

Posted via CB10
    lift and joewoo like this.
    10-03-14 01:13 PM
    That's too bad. You could sell your passport ..I'm sure there will be a lot of takers!

Ps. Love my Z30 also
    adjdudley21 likes this.
    10-03-14 01:19 PM
    Some of these changes (browser speed, hub differences) are the result of 10.3, not the hardware. Personally, I think 10.3.1 will bring a lot of improvements and enhancements. They had a deadline to reach for releasing 10.3 with the Passport and the P'9983, and the OS isn't as polished as 10.2.1.3xxx is.
    My Passport hasn't had issues with getting hot. You may wants to try a reset. Did you restore settings from backup?
    It's not for everyone! Hopefully, you can settle on a device; as the previous poster said, your Passport can probably net you a good chunk of cash.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 01:35 PM
    I love the Z30. So the Passport has big shoes to fill. And I am really on the fence now.

I miss the OLED screen a lot. I prefer the richness and the deep blacks. It's just more readable. But the Passport is brighter, and the screen more oil repellent.

Despite the wide-is-better claims I am not seeing more onscreen. The Z30 shows me more. It has bigger, bolder fonts--especially in the hub, but also just in the status us bar--like the clock. The light grey text in the Passport hub is just annoying and harder to read.

And why is there no way to go to the next email within an email? A weird choice to remove.

Having to go up to the virtual keyboard for punctuation feels awkward and unnatural. Very difficult to adjust to. And the full virtual keyboard on the Z30 gave more guesses/predictions since it was scattered within the letters too. The Passport only gives 3 choices. I feel like I typed faster on the Z30 (but more time /practice could help). I also miss the two-finger swipe to delete two words--a useful feature.

The faster processor and additional ram are usually noticeable, but not always. On a side-by-side browser speed test the Z30 often wins handily. It's not consistent at all. Battery life is better, but the Z30 was no slouch in this area, and I didn't complain.

It's a real toss up right now, but I'm starting to think that I didn't gain enough, and should have stayed with the wonderful Z30.

Just my 2 cents.

Posted via CB10
    I'll take it off your hands

Posted via CB10 for Q10
    adjdudley21 likes this.
    10-03-14 01:44 PM
    Sell yours to me please. Lol. Where are you? I'm in Germany.
    10-03-14 01:51 PM
    Add me to the "I'll take it off your hands club".

Posted via CB10
    adjdudley21 likes this.
    10-03-14 01:54 PM
    That is exactly the issue of the optimization. Passport is not so tuned and the software needs improvements. While z30 is great, it will hardly become better. Passport is so much better hardware that is future proved and blackberry guys will definitely polish it. So obviously form factor won't change so if that is the problem, then go back. If not,stick to PP. You also have to consider much more pixels the hardware has to display.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 01:55 PM
    You need to spend more time on the passport I think. I have both Z30 and Passport.

1. first the screen is absolutely gorgeous on the Passport. Sure I miss the deep blacks and saturated colours but wouldn't give it up for the sharpness and brightness of the Passport.

2. You can change the font size if it's too small or to large for you.

3. You can skip to the next email or msg from the current one by swiping from the left and swiping up or down to get to the next or previous (this has been there since 10.2)

4. My passport only gets warm when I'm charging and using heavily at the same time. (maybe yours is still synching)

5. It does take some time to get used to typing on the Passport but after a week I'm more than comfortable.

6. The multi finger swipe to delete is still there. Just have to use the on screen keyboard space. I have gotten the 3 finger swipe to work.

They last podcast they did (119 I believe). Kevin talks about the love hate relationship for a couple weeks and how he didn't really "fall in love" until his third week with the Passport. But who knows maybe the passport just isn't for you! Cheers!

I love my PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1052

Posted via CB10
    will308, Chrisy, KDB84 and 3 others like this.
    10-03-14 01:56 PM
    I'm not yet decided on which to stay with.

I also wanted to add : the call volume seems quieter, and the speakers (for music/videos) don't come close to the awesome ones on the Z30.
    The Z30 has 3 microphones. Does the Passport? They are not obvious, but could be hidden in the keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 02:00 PM
    Good to see the OP be patient with the new device... many who change devices try it for a day or so and give up.... one of the issues of a first generation run... similar issues with most first gen devices... the first run of z10 had its issues as well.. could be a faulty device.... have some patience... Use the forums as you are and all will work out....I usually see what kind of return policy the vendor has and use it till that time and return it if I do not like it.,... did that with the iphone 6.... as many love it... I personally found nothing compelling about it from the 5 series....
    10-03-14 02:01 PM
    Easy response to OP, it ain't for everyone.

No judgment zone here.

Posted via CB10
    lift and andy957 like this.
    10-03-14 02:05 PM
    I'm not yet decided on which to stay with.

I also wanted to add : the call volume seems quieter, and the speakers (for music/videos) don't come close to the awesome ones on the Z30.
    The Z30 has 3 microphones. Does the Passport? They are not obvious, but could be hidden in the keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    you are joking ive had to turn my volume down on my passport as its to loud
    yasmar likes this.
    10-03-14 02:20 PM
    Exactly, my z30 was much lower volume during calls. Passport is one of few phones where I can't be on max volume.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 02:27 PM
    Press N on the keyboard to go to the next email?

Posted via the CrackBerry App
    SethDove and NtotheK like this.
    10-03-14 02:32 PM
    you are joking ive had to turn my volume down on my passport as its to loud
    I stand corrected. My first week with the phone was a trip to NYC. I just used it at home and it's fine. Guess the city was too noisy.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 02:34 PM
    Good luck with a new device OP. At least you gave it a shot!
    10-03-14 02:37 PM
    Don't feel bad; this is kind of a different device and it's not necessarily designed to be all things to all people.

Now, some of the things you mention, like the different size fonts and appearance and so on, are things that are going to change on the Z30 as well, so bear that in mind. That's not the device so much as the OS version.

As for the screen, it's true that the OLED on the Z30 is really nice for the way it renders blacks. There's different strengths and weaknesses for each display technology, though, and there's no denying that the Z30's screen washes out in sunlight.

In any event, pick the device that works for you. No excuses necessary.
    10-03-14 02:41 PM
    Skipping emails. You need to use the keyboard shortcuts. I enjoyed my Z30 so much but I am getting used too the keyboard now. It takes time.
    But no way I'm personally going back. You need to go to tutorials or help to remember all the keyboard shortcuts like it was back in BBOS7 days.
    I type a little faster on the Z30 but I make less typos on the Passport.
    The Passport is a beautiful device.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 02:41 PM

Just my 2 cents.

Posted via CB10
    You can change the font size in settings.

You can use the P and N keys to go to previous and next messages in the hub, or use the swipe gesture to do the same.

Never had the Passport get hot yet.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 03:13 PM
    Next email press N
    Previous email press P

Many keyboard shortcuts replace screen
    10-03-14 04:08 PM
    I do miss the deep contrast of the amoled screen. And of course I miss the virtual kb still after three days. I would love for them to allow a full virtual keyboard to pop up where the extra virtual rows do now, with the width of the Passport, it would be amazing, and at a very comfortable height... I made a thread about it:

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=964562

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 04:10 PM