Give that man a Molson........................
    Mmmmm, beeeeeeeeer!
    08-30-17 03:45 PM
    Trust me, it will work. It's only the native version that will supposedly be gone.
    The Android version will work, but for how long, 2 months? 2 years? As the developer states, WhatsApp could release an update at any time that breaks or reduces functionality of the Android app on BB10 as it's an unsupported platform.

Buying a BB10 device for your primary phone is simply not an option if you need a working browser or WhatsApp for the next few years.
    08-30-17 03:55 PM
    If that happens then just don't update your Android WhatsApp. That's what happened with Uber. We have to use and old version, that seems to work exactly the same as the newer versions.
    08-30-17 03:57 PM
    The gap is a lot narrower than most people think. Besides the ability to pay with the phone and to deposit checks there isn't much I'd be putting myself away from cutting edge features. Of course you are going to need to perform workarounds that will probably draw some additional battery power.

As for the browser I get around very well using the native BB10 browser and Browsie Browser as a backup.
    08-30-17 04:06 PM
    If that happens then just don't update your Android WhatsApp. That's what happened with Uber. We have to use and old version, that seems to work exactly the same as the newer versions.
    Why do you assume Uber's apps is the same as Whatsapp. WA puts kill dates in their apps thus the BB10 versions have to be updated every time they delay the end date of BB10 support. Android may not be as strict, ie having to update every few months, but eventually the old apps will no longer work as they can't be authenticated on WA servers.
    08-30-17 04:23 PM
    I know that more likely some day BB10 will close its doors. I will remain until the end. Nothing what has been predicted regarding the platform not operating has happened to be true.
    08-30-17 04:35 PM
    Trust me, it will work. It's only the native version that will supposedly be gone.
    On what do you base this? And how long do you assume the Android version will continue to work?
    08-30-17 05:07 PM
    I don't see why a working version which its support for future versions is guaranteed (Android WhatsApp) would stop working.

Furthermore, the modified versions work almost the same, and arguably better. So there's even more options there.

I think BB10 devices will stick around for a few more years.

I'd be more concerned about people massively switching to a new messaging platform in the near future.
    08-30-17 05:19 PM
    That won't work with WhatsApp, all versions of WhatsApp have an "expiry" date on them of a few months from release. You have to keep the app updated or it won't work because the server will refuse your connection.
    08-30-17 08:11 PM
    the passport is an incredible piece of hardware, bb10 is the slickest most refined mobile os. whatsapp works better on bb10 than iphone. i cant see them pulling the plug. i'm not much of a twit-er, but what about blaq?
    the browser works great for me. there are plenty of other browsers to try too...browsie is good. lately kijiji has been horrible, but then it always has been..its a horrible site. you want a passport, but you already know this. ;-)

Posted via CBX
    08-30-17 08:20 PM
    Nobody knows what WA is going todo in 2018 with the app. But as mention here before, then use an old android WA app. And for the rest everything works well on a Passport, and it is (still) the most awesome phone in the world. I use it daily without any problems (even with some Android apps). And for Twitter I use the native Blaq app, for Instagram I use iGrann, etc. I am trying to use native apps, and till know it works well. Even Genius Maps for traveling works without any problem as native app. Surfing the internet standard browser or Browsie Browser.

Conclusion: If you really like the Passport go for it for the next 2 years.
    08-31-17 08:10 AM
    If you value BB10 OS and it's native apps, the switch to Android has questionable value.

If you need up to date Android apps, the viability in BB10 is dubious.

If you need a blend of both, you'll need to work a lot harder and use the resources in these forums.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    08-31-17 08:16 AM
    Nobody knows what WA is going todo in 2018 with the app. But as mention here before, then use an old android WA app.
    You can't use older versions of WhatsApp, they expire a few months from release. Even if you use the latest version you have to do workarounds with no guarantee that it will keep working on BB10.
    08-31-17 10:06 AM
    If you absolutely need whatsapp the passport is too risky, as much as I think it's a great phone. The Priv may be usable with the latest updates, the Keyone is probably beyond your budget and the screen problems may make it a no go in any case.
    08-31-17 11:09 AM
    If you absolutely need whatsapp the passport is too risky, as much as I think it's a great phone. The Priv may be usable with the latest updates, the Keyone is probably beyond your budget and the screen problems may make it a no go in any case.
    The Priv, without an upgrade from Marshmallow, will almost certainly run all current Android apps for at least thee more years. It might FEEL old by then, but developers won't stop supporting Marshmallow that fast, as it has a large installed base.

08-31-17 11:17 AM
    Offer the OP a money back guarantee on this if they are supposed to trust you.

No way I'd make that bet.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-17 05:57 PM
    If they really need you in an app they can load BBM. BBM is not a fart app. They can load it.

Sent from one of my SE Passports using BB10 superior software.
    samilkarahisar likes this.
    08-31-17 08:10 PM
    I would very much like to thank every single one of you for commenting.

I have finally decided to purchase a Passport SE on amazon. I'm waiting for it to ship now.

What i took in consideration doing this purchase was:
    -There is only one app installed on my current Android phone, and it's Whatsapp. I have a Macbook that I use very very very much in my daily life. So most of the social networking and playing games stuff I do it on my mac, I don't need my phone for that.

-I wanted a phone with a screen making it easy to read stuff on Medium.com and some ebooks in pdf format. The screen on Passport seems a perfect match for this.

-The only point that got me back from purchasing for awhile and create this forum post, was that my family members use Whatsapp instead of Sms or direct calling, I don't really know why, but they do. As they are family, I will just ask them to install BBM: problem solved. For a few friend that could contact me on WA and that I can't ask to install BBM just for me, they can still use SMS, phonecall, facebook messenger(I would check the website on my mac), FaceTime(Mac), Imessage(Mac).

So, afterall, I think that with Passport + Macbook, I can survive for longer than 2 years. And if I see a need to install a new popular game to check it out. I will still have my Android that could help for that

For future people, reading this and wondering if they should buy a Passport. I think it all comes down to what you use your phone for on a daily basis. I personally didn't charge my current Android the whole summer because I forgot about it. So I'm not a very mobile driven guy(I spend most of my free time at home, so desktop is more important than mobile for me) anyways.
    Last edited by BigBadWulf; 08-31-17 at 09:37 PM. Reason: language
    Angela Papazian likes this.
    08-31-17 08:45 PM

I have finally decided to purchase a Passport SE on amazon. I'm waiting for it to ship now.

-There is only one app installed on my current Android phone, and it's Whatsapp. I have a Macbook that I use very very very much in my daily life. So most of the social networking and playing games stuff I do it on my mac, I don't need my phone for that.

-I wanted a phone with a screen making it easy to read stuff on Medium.com and some ebooks in pdf format. The screen on Passport seems a perfect match for this.

-The only point that got me back from purchasing for awhile and create this forum post, was that my family members use Whatsapp instead of Sms or direct calling, I don't really know why, but they do. As they are family, I will just ask them to install BBM: problem solved. For a few friend that could contact me on WA and that I can't ask to install BBM just for me, they can still use SMS, phonecall, facebook messenger(I would check the website on my mac), FaceTime(Mac), Imessage(Mac).

So, afterall, I think that with Passport + Macbook, I can survive for longer than 2 years. And if I see a need to install a new popular game to check it out. I will still have my Android that could help for that

For future people, reading this and wondering if they should buy a Passport. I think it all comes down to what you use your phone for on a daily basis. I personally didn't charge my current Android the whole summer because I forgot about it. So I'm not a very mobile driven guy(I spend most of my free time at home, so desktop is more important than mobile for me) anyways.
    Thanks for sharing your process with us. I hope you enjoy your Passport and that it meets your needs for years. As a reader it's amazing.

I'm with you on the PC vs mobile phone when it comes to social media. I am wedded to my mobile Windows workstation, and I use it for almost all "app" functions. The most important function of my phone is to let me compose my thoughts in writing anywhere. I am always wait till I'm at my computer for almost anything besides email, voice and messaging.

Angela Papazian likes this.
    08-31-17 10:02 PM
    Good choice, and have fun with your Passport
    09-01-17 01:43 AM
    I mentioned briefly in this thread but I feel compelled to mention it again. Telegram is a spectacular app and works great. The only time it slows down is with GIF'S but you don't have to use them since there is a plethora of stickers.

It's always a good idea to offer a couple of a few apps to someone to chose from just in case they have it already or would like to choose one they are more familiar with.

Good luck
    samilkarahisar likes this.
    09-01-17 06:48 AM
    Is there a native Telegram app on BB10? I searched on appworld.blackberry.com and it doesn't seem to exist?
    09-01-17 10:03 AM
    My silver passport is great. Don't know what all the negativity was about earlier in this thread. At their current prices, the purchase of a passport isn't that much of a risk. My browser is fine. Most videos don't fill the square screen, but you get used to that.

Certainly, there are app limitations, but nobody knows what is going to happen with WhatsApp in 2018. Maybe it will get extended again.

The wide screen and excellent capacitive keyboard make reading (and scrolling) a joy. I make excuses to message people just to use the keyboard. Ya won't get that feeling tapping on glass.

For me, the biggest downfall is I can't find an arm band to fit the wide Passport for running / bicycling.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.2.2639

Posted via CB10
    G_Unit MVP likes this.
    09-01-17 11:24 AM
    The, the biggest downfall is I can't find an arm band to fit the wide Passport for running / bicycling.
    Now I want one too! That's an awesome idea.

09-01-17 01:30 PM

Seems like a good solution, just be aware that BBM at least on the iPhone tends not to show notifications for them, so it's unfortunately not as easy as installing and forgetting about it; but it's not the end of the world, you can also fire a quick email with the text: check your BBM!
    09-01-17 03:37 PM
70 123