Hello, as the title says, i'm about to buy a passport for 200 euros here in France.

I have also thought about buying a Priv(sells for 280 euros that I can still aford), the design seems good, but I don't want to use Android, and apprently there are some heating issues.

Now I am in love with the square screen on Passport, but I have a few concerns that need to be answered by experienced users(that's you).

Apparently Whatsapp app wont be available by the end of 2017. It means, in around 3-4 months, I won't be able to use Whatsapp anymore. I know BB10 has huge app limitations, but that's fine as I am not a big app user. I don't play games on my phone. But I need Whatsapp to be able to communicate with family living in different countries.

I have been reading(for the last 2 days, i have spent more than 10 hours reading and watching videos all about the Passport) and apparently there are "ways" to get Android versions of some apps run on Passport(.apk files). Is it complicated to install .apk apps? Are they stable enough for daily use? I only need Whatsapp Android version to be able to use my future Passport throughout 2018 and 2019(after the native Whatsapp app cames to an end). What if

Last thing, I came across people on this forum saying they are having problems with the native browser. That concerns me aswell, because the main reason I want this phone is because I read A LOT of webpages. And if it can't even do that for me, thats 200 bucks wasted.

--IN SHORT, if I buy a Passport right now,

- will I be able to use Whatsapp in 2018 and 2019? If even android version doesn't work anymore, what about those 3rd party whatsapp applications, will those work? And do they allow me to sync with Whatsapp web aswell?

-will I be able to use native Twitter and browser apps?

I know BB10 has no future, because even Blackberry doesn't support it anymore. I'm aware of it. I am just asking if for atleast 2 years I can still connect to Whatsapp, Twitter and use a web browser with this phone?

Thank you, and sorry for the post being so long(I'm a student, and can't afford to waste money)
    anon(10218918) likes this.
    08-28-17 08:50 PM
    If you need a guarantee of those apps working, BB10 is not the way to go. And I love BB10, but I'm a realist. As you are aware, WhatsApp has extended the app to the end of this year. After that, who knows? Maybe an apk will work, maybe not (Android runtime is at 4.3 I think). Native Twitter app works, but lacks features as far as I know. I don't think anyone can guarantee you will get 2 years of those functioning apps from the phone.
    08-28-17 09:33 PM
    The short answer is: Nobody really knows what will happen with WhatsApp. You may be able to use an android version but there are no guarantees. The Passport is nearly a 3 year old device and the browser has not received (and probably never will) any significant updates for well over a year. It still works for me but I am seeing a slowdown. I just don't think it is worth 200 Euro at this point. I just sold my wife's Passport for $120 CAD (maybe a bit low as it went very quick). Even though you don't depend on many apps, I would be very reluctant to advise you to go with the Passport. It has been the best device I have ever owned but the end is near I'm afraid.
    08-28-17 09:34 PM
    I love BB10 but I would not buy a new device running the software. You will be frustrated by the lack of updates and apps. Sad to say but BB10 is kaput.
    08-28-17 10:10 PM
    As a Passport owner for 3 years, I would recommend going with the PRIV instead.

App compatibility is getting worse and worse on the Passport and like others have said, if WhatsApp is a critical app for you, there are no guarantees it'll work 4 months from now.

There are workarounds for many things, but even those work arounds are either failing completely or too much time and effort to be worth it.

If your time is valuable and you think it's important to be productive, do yourself a favour and do not buy a BB10 device.

Posted via CB10
    08-29-17 10:10 AM
    As others have said I loved bb10, I never had a passport but owned a q10 then a classic which when everything worked well I (know whatsapp and twitter apps are still fine) was really good and a lot easier in my opinion than iOS and android but and it's a big one when various apps stopped being supported I was looking to jump ship. I was never sold on the Priv for some reason but one the Keyone was announced I couldn't wait and it was worth it and I'm sure the Priv running android is the same, basically it just works, yes android is a learning curve and can be a pain but unfortunately it's the price to pay for a phone that will actually do what you want it to.
    If you don't need social media and various other apps and need it just as a communication device i.e phone calls emails and text then yes the passport will be fab but otherwise I'd look at other options.
    08-29-17 10:26 AM
    Buy a cheap Z10/Q10/Q5 on eBay and see if you can live with it first. Don't bet on the browser being properly functional by 2018.

Posted via CB10
    08-29-17 10:29 AM
    If you need WhatsApp and a working browser you should definitely avoid BB10. You can sideload the Android version of WhatsApp but it's not fully compatible without workarounds and even then, there's no guarantee it will continue to work.

With regards to the browser, just recently Dropbox stopped working on BB10 devices due to a certificate issue (the site wouldn't load at all), it was eventually fixed but there's no guarantee that will always happen with every site that may stop working on BB10.

The Priv can run Android 6.0 so it should be better for longevity, I'm not sure if the heating issues were ever resolved though.

Edit: The BB10 Twitter app isn't too great either, it hasn't been updated to support longer tweets so you need to click a link to open them in the browser to read them fully.
    08-29-17 11:35 AM
    Thanks everyone for answering, all of you are saying the same thing, so I came to the decision of NOT buying the passport.
    As the Priv apparently is a heating phone, I will be saving my money for a year and hope for Keyone prices to lower, so that I can get one. Because Keyone seems like the only device close to a Passport, and it runs Android.

Again thank you everyone for helping me decide.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    08-29-17 06:46 PM
    If you need WhatsApp and a working browser you should definitely avoid BB10. You can sideload the Android version of WhatsApp but it's not fully compatible without workarounds and even then, there's no guarantee it will continue to work.

With regards to the browser, just recently Dropbox stopped working on BB10 devices due to a certificate issue (the site wouldn't load at all), it was eventually fixed but there's no guarantee that will always happen with every site that may stop working on BB10.

The Priv can run Android 6.0 so it should be better for longevity, I'm not sure if the heating issues were ever resolved though.

Edit: The BB10 Twitter app isn't too great either, it hasn't been updated to support longer tweets so you need to click a link to open them in the browser to read them fully.
    U say dropbox doesn't work on bb10? U mean the app or using Web? I just tapped on my app it still works I open it and videos annd pics still there

Posted via CB10
    08-29-17 07:15 PM
    U say dropbox doesn't work on bb10? U mean the app or using Web? I just tapped on my app it still works I open it and videos annd pics still there

Posted via CB10
    The website didn't work (and technically neither did the app if you were logging in for the first time) but its since been fixed,

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...0-app-1120520/
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    08-29-17 08:32 PM
    I don't understand why it would be so difficult to have friends install BBM or even better the Whatsapp I used Telegram. Installing an app to communicate shouldn't be such a life decision.

As for Dropbox you can install the android APK X-Plore file manager. Works great

Hope this helps enjoy
    08-29-17 09:32 PM
    Go with the Passport, it is a fantastic device and it'll keep working for years. WhatsApp is guaranteed to keep working. It's only the native version, which they haven't updated in quite a while anyway, the one they are saying they will remove. There are 4 other apk's that run smoothly.

The Priv is a beautiful piece of hardware, and for those low prices I would get both if I were you.
    08-29-17 10:03 PM
    I don't understand why it would be so difficult to have friends install BBM or even better the Whatsapp I used Telegram. Installing an app to communicate shouldn't be such a life decision.

As for Dropbox you can install the android APK X-Plore file manager. Works great

Hope this helps enjoy
    It's not difficult for a small number of like-minded individuals who don't mind experimenting. For a large number of people that includes a large age range with different requirements for what works in a messaging app and different levels of tech knowledge, it becomes a massive undertaking. Once that group is settled on a single app/protocol, it can actually be near impossible to get 100% conversion to another app. You can easily get a few, and with some work maybe there'll be a few more, but not all. And if it's important to stay in contact, telling them you won't talk to them otherwise is not an option.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    08-30-17 03:45 AM
    It's not difficult for a small number of like-minded individuals who don't mind experimenting. For a large number of people that includes a large age range with different requirements for what works in a messaging app and different levels of tech knowledge, it becomes a massive undertaking. Once that group is settled on a single app/protocol, it can actually be near impossible to get 100% conversion to another app. You can easily get a few, and with some work maybe there'll be a few more, but not all. And if it's important to stay in contact, telling them you won't talk to them otherwise is not an option.
    Ha ha true but I'll bet they found Snapchat ant installed that..... Lol
    08-30-17 04:14 AM
    People in "general" use Snapchat....

"People" in general don't use BBM.... go read the latest reviews on Google Play or Apple Store it' just not what people want. Even those that have used it for years.
    08-30-17 07:09 AM
    People in "general" use Snapchat....

"People" in general don't use BBM.... go read the latest reviews on Google Play or Apple Store it' just not what people want. Even those that have used it for years.
    I don't think as many use Snapchat as it sounds like they do. And after 9 years of using BBM I want nothing to do with it after this latest mistake update.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    08-30-17 09:08 AM
    I don't think as many use Snapchat as it sounds like they do. And after 9 years of using BBM I want nothing to do with it after this latest mistake update.
    I only been shown photos from Snapchat... mainly ones where animations have been added.

For business... we do use SLACK now.
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    08-30-17 09:39 AM

Hope this helps enjoy
    I have never had a client, colleague, friend or family member hesitate to install or use BBM if I asked them to. However, due to the cheap ad and sticker commercialization of it, I no longer ask them. I wish BBM had not chased the consumer market but had focused on being the premier, secure, cross-platform business messaging service it might have been.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    08-30-17 10:02 AM
    The Passport SE is simply awesome!

Posted via CB10
    08-30-17 10:38 AM
    @samilkarahisar if you can spend the money on the Passport, and be able to buy another phone next year, I will definitely say buy the Passport SE. Without a doubt.
    Yes, all the facts pointed by the other people are true. There is not much future on bb10, but the experience and joy you will have with a Passport in your hands totally worth it .
    Working with the amazing wide screen, the keyboard and overall performance and battery life pays for the lack of support.
    For the price, the Passport is one he'll of a device. IMO if you love bb10 you should not pass on the chance to use a Passport for some time.
    That's what made me buy one at this point, and the same idea will make me buy a Priv maybe next year, when the prices drop even more, just to experience the last BlackBerry device.

Cheers.
    08-30-17 11:28 AM
    I use a white passport for over a month now and it's the best phone I've had! I miss nothing and I have no problems! I know I can't keep it forever but that would be the case for any phone! Go for it!

Posted via CB10
    08-30-17 11:38 AM
    On my second passport, love it, BB10 is still supported, there was an update last week!!! I don't use snapcahat or what's up but I love the phone
    08-30-17 01:10 PM
    WhatsApp is guaranteed to keep working.
    The opposite, features can stop working at anytime. From the developer:

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb.../#post12895553

It barely works as is without workarounds on BB10.
    08-30-17 01:43 PM
    Trust me, it will work. It's only the native version that will supposedly be gone.
    08-30-17 02:39 PM
70 123