Look on the bright side, demand drop-off means that lower prices are that much closer! Democratization of the BlackBerry Passport!

Z-30 / STA100-5 / 10.3.0.1418 / T-Mobile USA
    Lower prices prior to US carrier release would be another nail in the coffin. BlackBerry needs the Passport to earn it's price mark.
    11-05-14 11:17 PM
  2. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Lower prices prior to US carrier release would be another nail in the coffin. BlackBerry needs the Passport to earn it's price mark.
    Agreed and it will. Don't expect drop in Passport prices anytime soon.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-14 11:24 PM
    I agree that the Passport is a good buy at its price. As a Canadian I was also upset to see the discount offered only to US customers (especially since most of their networks aren't even offering the phone yet!) but then I did the math; we're actually paying the same when you factor in the conversion. With all the other phones, we get a better deal because the Cdn number is the same as the US number, and ignores the effective 11% discount for the currency exchange.
    11-05-14 11:29 PM
    I don't think it is right to compare Iphone sale to BlackBerry Passport sale. Apple has so many stores in the USA and around the world plus carriers. Passport sale through BlackBerry.com and Amazon.com and a few places around the world. That's it!
    Also, it's well known that Apple uses its muscle to put pressure on retailers to stock and advertise their product. I have a friend who works for a Canadian phone company who has told me horrendous stories about Apple's bully-boy tactics to enforce its view of how SIMs should operate and look. Google's motto is "Do no harm". Apple is not Google.
    11-05-14 11:33 PM
    I ordered a black and white Z30 for my brother and sister, a pink Q5 for my mom. For Christmas I'm thinking of getting a Passport for myself and a Classic for my Dad. Taking advantage of the sale and doing my part to help the turnaround of this ship and proud of it!

Getting that Dapper and Dashing Black-suited Passport
    I also ordered the same as I had on Verizon; the Z10 and Z30, but this time both in white and ordered black backs from CB. The oreo look on the Z10 is sweet and the Z30 black back is just so much nicer than the white back. Hoping that the Z30 looks good in white as I never saw a white Z30 in person. Was eyeing a red Q5, but just can't justify any more. If the Passport stays at or below $599, may do my part again there. My mother is ready to upgrade from her Z10 (after being a long time iPhone user) to the Passport, but is waiting on AT&T. If I do end up with two, one will be a gift for her :-)

Posted via CB10
    11-06-14 12:04 AM
    599 is not a bad price at all
    geekaren likes this.
    11-06-14 01:16 AM
    Agreed and it will. Don't expect drop in Passport prices anytime soon.

Posted via CB10
    True. The price drop comes from distressed inventory, so you have to wait for the sellers to lower prices.

In the States, I'm on T-Mobile, but I buy surplus BlackBerry phones (AT&T branded) that are compatible with T-Mo, so I hope that AT&T ordered a bunch of Passports, LOL. I think there's a good chance that prices for Passport will start falling a little sooner than normal because I think sellers holding AT&T branded Passport inventory will get nervous and want to sell. It'll be doubly risky for them to hold inventory of (1) a niche device when (2) its successor is around the corner.

Here's a pic of my AT&T branded Z10 taken with the Z30, which I also got at steal-deal prices. Sellers are happy to sell at these prices, just to recover their investment.

Huge Supply of BlackBerry Passport Now Available at ShopBlackBerry.com.-img_20141106_011918.jpg

11-06-14 02:00 AM
    Bought one today for my wife. I can't wait to give it to her! Hopefully I can get one as well before the end of the year.

Posted via CB10
    That's a good man, right there.

*slow clap*

Posted via CB10
    11-06-14 04:26 AM
    Talked three of my clients into buying one after they played with mine and fell in love with the device.
    11-06-14 04:40 AM
    True. The price drop comes from distressed inventory, so you have to wait for the sellers to lower prices.

In the States, I'm on T-Mobile, but I buy surplus BlackBerry phones (AT&T branded) that are compatible with T-Mo, so I hope that AT&T ordered a bunch of Passports, LOL. I think there's a good chance that prices for Passport will start falling a little sooner than normal because I think sellers holding AT&T branded Passport inventory will get nervous and want to sell. It'll be doubly risky for them to hold inventory of (1) a niche device when (2) its successor is around the corner.

Here's a pic of my AT&T branded Z10 taken with the Z30, which I also got at steal-deal prices. Sellers are happy to sell at these prices, just to recover their investment.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141106_011918.jpg 
Views:	2319 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	312484

I think, you are little wrong. Operators have right to return unsold inventory to producer/seller. Also, all price cuts are going on budget of producer/seller. I think that your device is from this returned inventory.
    11-06-14 06:22 AM
    Well... if anyone wants the Bold 9900... they have plenty of them!!! over 1M!

Hopefully that they don't have really 1M 9900 sitting there, that would be another inventory write down!
    11-06-14 07:00 AM
    Why don't you try to visit those retailers and distributors and see if they have any..the 6 is sold out everywhere
    Sure.
    But somehow I haven't seen lines of people standing in front of CarphoneWarehouse or similar, waiting to buy new Iphone6.
    Hell, I haven't seen one in a wild yet.
    11-06-14 07:15 AM
    Bought one today for my wife. I can't wait to give it to her! Hopefully I can get one as well before the end of the year.

Posted via CB10
    Me too...she doesn't want it .

Comes in Fri, gonna have to sell it at cost as soon as it comes in now .
    11-06-14 08:06 AM
    Well... if anyone wants the Bold 9900... they have plenty of them!!! over 1M!

Hopefully that they don't have really 1M 9900 sitting there, that would be another inventory write down!
    That`s a good phone, I would take one for a small price. I used it as a work phone and I was not happy when I needed to give it back when I left the company.

Anyway I`m hoping to get a passport for christmas or so... not quite sure why anybody don`t want to have that phone.
    11-06-14 09:12 AM
    I think, you are little wrong. Operators have right to return unsold inventory to producer/seller. Also, all price cuts are going on budget of producer/seller. I think that your device is from this returned inventory.
    No, I didn't buy a Z10 which had been returned to BlackBerry, because when I bought my Z10, BlackBerry was still charging way too much.

Here's how it works. AT&T will basically order their branded BlackBerry phones, with special packaging, emblems, etc. They'll go overstock--it's almost impossible to avoid with a niche product. Those overstock AT&T phones find their way to the secondary market, perfectly brand new in box (BNIB), but at greatly reduced prices because secondary market retailers don't want to lose their shirts! They love their buyers, we're saving their lives!

You see? So, bottom line, the more AT&T-branded Passports there are, the better. Sure, the first few will sell at full price at AT&T stores, but after that, each one of those remaining boxes has "future discount" written all over it.

11-06-14 09:41 AM
    Me too...she doesn't want it .

Comes in Fri, gonna have to sell it at cost as soon as it comes in now .
    My wife's comes in this afternoon. Where are you located. I might buy that one off of you for myself.

Posted via CB10
    geekaren likes this.
    11-06-14 09:59 AM
    Sure.
    But somehow I haven't seen lines of people standing in front of CarphoneWarehouse or similar, waiting to buy new Iphone6.
    Hell, I haven't seen one in a wild yet.
    I haven't seen any lines either for the iPhone (expect crazies at Apple stores that want to be on tv, and would sleep in the rain instead of just preordering it)... of course it's been over a month since it went on sale and you can buy them just about everywhere these day. That's if you can find one in stock.... here in the states depending on the model you could be waiting for a few weeks still to get your device. But at least they have back-order dates.

Both Amazon and ShopBlackBerry seem to have gotten enough stock of the Passport in to meet the current demand, even with the extra $100 off. And IF it was really only 2000.... that is a pretty good indicator of a lack of demand for this device.

Maybe they have caught up enough that AT&T will soon be selling it??
    11-06-14 10:08 AM
    How are you guys getting the stock counts?

Posted via CB10
    11-06-14 10:10 AM
    How are you guys getting the stock counts?

Posted via CB10
    They order with the highest amount possible(more than what they have) and then it says to lower your number because xxxxx are available... not sure exactly what it says but it comes back at you with the number

Posted via CB10
    11-06-14 10:21 AM
    1635 Passports available as of 10:26 am Central Standard Time.

18 hours ago, there were 1765 left, making for a sales rate of 7.2 phones per hour!

Last edited by eyesopen1111; 11-06-14 at 10:42 AM.
    11-06-14 10:30 AM
    Lol. I was just about to ask the question about latest count.

Not too bad I suppose.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-14 10:45 AM
    On reflection 7.2 phones/ hour is not such a great number, considering shopbb is one of the major channel to sell other than amazon.

Yesterday, it was #3 best seller in smartphones category

Posted via CB10
    11-06-14 10:50 AM
    On reflection 7.2 phones/ hour is not such a great number, considering shopbb is one of the major channel to sell other than amazon.

Yesterday, it was #3 best seller in smartphones category
    It doesn't seem too bad of a rate for a product that hasn't been advertised in the U.S. yet and is available at carriers in Canada.
    11-06-14 11:34 AM
    The fact that they properly guessed at the demand is good (maybe a little short, but it doesnt seem by much). No over supply of devices. This of course is prior to any US carrier release, I would bet most people buy phones with the sub pricing vs full. Anyway, I bet BB is well above their device estimates and most likely past break even (for the device). Profit is profit, of course more is better, but profit will pull in confidence that you are doing something right and people/companies will continue to buy your stuff.

If there is no price cut, that is good.
    gokulesh likes this.
    11-06-14 11:45 AM
    I loveeee my BlackBerry passport so much I bought two
    Attachment 312400

BBM: 2BE320B5 IG: iinkmywholebodiie
    Wow, you lucky guy! hope you enjoy them.

Posted via BlackBerry Q5 on 10.2.1.3247
    11-06-14 11:51 AM
193 ... 34567 ...