Very bizarre! Just tried it, and it does exactly like you say.

If you change to "Desktop Mode" in the Browser by going to Settings -> Developer Tools -> Desktop Mode... it does in fact load... but then proceeds to crash!

Can't say I've ever seen a website react quite like this in the BB10 Browser before.

http://landroverforums.com/forum/

Just tried opening it in Hub Browser & it works okay. Still strange that it won't open in the regular browser.

Is this Forum available for you to browse in the Tapatalk application?
    Opens the mobile site in Evolution browser. One advantage of Evo is that you can identify your phone as Android or iPhone when accessing websites. I have mine set to Android.

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Passport
    CharlieV likes this.
    02-01-15 08:14 PM
    To your question a while back for encrypted chat. BlackBerry *almost* has exactly what you need with BBM Protected, a mode with BBM where it will encrypt each message line with a unique encryption key known only to the two participating BBM clients. However, in its current incarnation it is only available as an option when both handsets are managed by BES (doesn't have to be the same one, and can be iOS or Android clients, but still an unlikely scenario).

Normal BBM is reasonably secure other than from determined governments though. Uses TLS encryption over the Internet, AES encryption at rest, and the message contents are also encrypted with tripleDES. Just two big limitations:
    1) the tripleDES key is the same for every BBM client and known by BB
    2) the messages pass through BlackBerry NOC in certain countries and government court orders/laws in those places can compel BB to decrypt with that known 3DES key.

BlackBerry also has the Secusmart solution where it encrypts everything (including SMS and voice) but that requires both parties to have blackberries. Good enough for Merkel to hide from the US government though.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for that full answer. I've done some more looking and struck out. Apparently the developer of Ekboo decided against BlackBerry 10. But I do not have state secrets and the general BlackBerry security ir probably good enough for now. At least, it is better than reverting to my Android. I did get my commercial Android package to work on the Passport, but it drained my battery pretty fast.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-15 08:42 PM
    Today is my first real, away from the office workday since I received the passport. It has been off the charger since 6. I drove 3 hours, made four calls for a total of fifty minutes, checked and responded to about three dozen emails, posted on two forums (before this one), read the news, browsed the Internet some, and send and received about thirty texts and thirty more BBM messages. Battery is still at 87 percent. I call that impressive. Especially since I was traveling in low and no coverage areas that tend to sap a battery. My samsung note 3 traveled with and has 88 percent battery but I didn't use it and it has a huge 10000mah battery.

So far, battery life is really impressive. I've just made sure not to leave android apps running.

Posted via CB10
    Rowan M, Serkle K and Zeratul57 like this.
    02-02-15 12:24 PM
    I had a similar experience today. Off the charger at 7 am, hand full of emails about an outage. A few group texts about the outage. Lead to a 90+ minute conference call with my Passport being on speaker phone for the majority of it, and still going back to the group text as well as a group facebook chat with a team of DJs. When all was said and done I had 78% battery by around 1130 am. Pretty happy about that!

Posted via CB10
    02-02-15 01:25 PM
    I had a similar experience today. Off the charger at 7 am, hand full of emails about an outage. A few group texts about the outage. Lead to a 90+ minute conference call with my Passport being on speaker phone for the majority of it, and still going back to the group text as well as a group facebook chat with a team of DJs. When all was said and done I had 78% battery by around 1130 am. Pretty happy about that!

Posted via CB10
    I'm glad to hear that. I thought I would never have a phone with a sealed battery, but my objections are disappearing.

Posted via CB10
    Zeratul57 likes this.
    02-02-15 07:05 PM
    Having said that, though, there is no way I could go two days as I read in some reviews.

Posted via CB10
    02-02-15 07:21 PM
    Having said that, though, there is no way I could go two days as I read in some reviews.

Posted via CB10
    The battery life improves significantly after a couple of weeks. I also tend to use older BlackBerry chargers for overnight charging, they have much lower amps and are gentler on the battery. I get two days' use about 3 times out of 5.

02-02-15 08:15 PM
    I'm glad to hear that. I thought I would never have a phone with a sealed battery, but my objections are disappearing.

Posted via CB10
    Same here!!

Posted via CB10
    02-02-15 08:52 PM

Posted via CB10
    Again, same here! Lol

Posted via CB10
    02-02-15 08:53 PM
    I'll tell you the truth. You will love the passport for its quality and screen size and smooth user interface. However since you seem to be heavy into the google ecosystem as far as functionality, you'll probably find it a bit tough to get things done. For example printing from your phone. I have a Note 4 and there is nothing I cannot do with it that I can't do with my passport or my classic for that matter. Note 4 not having a keyboard is why I'm back driving my passport or my classic everyday not because I didn't find my Note 4 was capable.

The last point I must make is about the keyboard of the passport. If you're like me and having a fourth row of keys and a track pad is something that you very used to.... you'll find the passport a bit disappointing initially. I'll tell you why. For example. The ability to delete large blocks of messages at one time on a passport is not possible. That for me is a huge fail for BlackBerry and the hub. On the other hand on the Classic everything that is natural and familiar to you is available. Sometimes wish they made the passport with the classic's keyboard. Other than that, I believe you'll have a wonderful experience with the passport. Just be prepared for the learning curve. But you say that you used to have a Q10. So that essentially is a smaller passport as far as the keyboard goes.

2BDB5FDF...Playbook 50304327 BBM CHANNEL "POWER OF CHOICE" C00285CE7 Passport Classic Note 4
    02-02-15 09:38 PM
    I had to call att and complain about the tower reception in a rural area. A tower that is still 2g and 3g only. Anyway, the csr's were a joke. The girl had alot more intellect and tried hard but also tried to evade answering my questions until I pointed out her deception.
    I did have to wait and talk to her " supervisor" This " supervisor " could qualify as a self serv car wash attendant. It was really bad and on top of that he told me had a NOTE. Like he had the best thing in the world. Dear att, please train your people and stop telling lies!
    02-02-15 09:57 PM
    I have did have a Q10 but I got disgusted with it and ebayed it with my PlayBook. Sold them for a song with docks, otterboxes, etc. I agree that nothing has been as good as my old 9900 (and maybe the new Classic) when you need to get rid of lots of emails. The toolbelt does make quick work of worthless email.

I am still adjusting to the keyboard but the accuracy that I get over a screen keyboard is worth the effort. Just yesterday I meant to type "stay" on my Note 3 and I must have typed "saty" because it came out "Saturday." I am tired of crap like that.

As for Google, I like its services but I really only use mail, calendar, etc., and the blackberry handles that via activesync. I do not, on principle, like the fact that Google indexes everything I do and everywhere I go. I would gladly change to any IMAP provider, especially since I will be off Android for :the foreseeable future (I still use the note 3) but it is such a pain to move my domain.

Posted via CB10
    02-02-15 10:30 PM
    I had to call att and complain about the tower reception in a rural area. A tower that is still 2g and 3g only. Anyway, the csr's were a joke. The girl had alot more intellect and tried hard but also tried to evade answering my questions until I pointed out her deception.
    I did have to wait and talk to her " supervisor" This " supervisor " could qualify as a self serv car wash attendant. It was really bad and on top of that he told me had a NOTE. Like he had the best thing in the world. Dear att, please train your people and stop telling lies!
    "POWER OF CHOICE" is a BlackBerry channel that explores the issues that you have mentioned in your quoted post above. Why should the consumer spend their hard earned dollars and then have to deal with incompetence? We the consumer are lured in by expensive marketing, which our consumer dollars pay for, only to be forgotten about in the "post consumer spent dollar" phase. Once we spend our dollars how much say do we really have in making a difference in how the "big company" treats their customers/shareholders/clients?

If there was a network that worked and moved together and made a stand on making the "big company" listen to the consumer, issues like what are quoted in the above post would not happen! What would happen if 500,000 consumers decided not to pay their AT&T bill for a said time frame? Or what would happen if those same consumers decided not to support that "big company" by not purchasing anything from that company for 6 months? Would there be change?

THE ANSWER IS ABSOLUTELY YES!! Tune into the "POWER OF CHOICE" where consumers like yourself connect, organize and rethink the value and power of our consumer dollar! You won't be disappointed you tuned in.
    How well would Passport handle my heavy task load?-img_20150118_165256_edit.png
    How well would Passport handle my heavy task load?-poc-trademark.jpg

Classic 2BF2EA40 ...Playbook 50304327 BBM CHANNEL "POWER OF CHOICE" C00285CE7 Passport Classic Note 4
    02-03-15 07:30 AM
    I am noy familiar with POC, but I can tell you that one of the reasons I bought my unlocked phone was so I could switch at will. That's also the reason I have no problem buying my phone outright instead of on contract. In fact, I like the rounded AT&T better than the squared one (it is a close call, I acknowledge) but my choice was made easy when I learned that the AT&T version was more expensive as an outright purchase, while having the same specs. I've been with AT&T and it's predecessors since 2004 and sporadically before that.

I think it is interesting that Blackberry bypassed, or was bypassed, by the carriers on initial release. I guess it was to show that they could still sell phones...?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    02-03-15 08:01 AM
    I am noy familiar with POC, but I can tell you that one of the reasons I bought my unlocked phone was so I could switch at will. That's also the reason I have no problem buying my phone outright instead of on contract. In fact, I like the rounded AT&T better than the squared one (it is a close call, I acknowledge) but my choice was made easy when I learned that the AT&T version was more expensive as an outright purchase, while having the same specs. I've been with AT&T and it's predecessors since 2004 and sporadically before that.

I think it is interesting that Blackberry bypassed, or was bypassed, by the carriers on initial release. I guess it was to show that they could still sell phones...?

Yes you make very good points here!

POWER OF CHOICE is similar to the change. Org community with an added component of boycotting the "big companies" if they work against what the consumer wants. It's very powerful. They have a twitter account as well I believe @THEPOWOFCHOICE very interesting concepts.

Finally people are organizing to make the big companies supply what the consumer wants, instead of doing what is best for the big company. After all if it wasn't for our consumer dollars spent.... where would the big companies be?

Classic 2BF2EA40 ...Playbook 50304327 BBM CHANNEL "POWER OF CHOICE" C00285CE7 Passport Classic Note 4
    02-03-15 08:27 AM
    You go to your mobile operator, and simply ask for it.

They deactivate and destroy your old simcard, and you get the two new simcards in a DUO SIM package, and then they activate it.

Only one can be active at a time, usually the rule is that the last switched on will be active.

Usually they charge a small fee for the new simcards.

A typical use is for car speakerphone terminals, but also comfortable for laptops, etc.

For two phones, it's much more comfortable then to switch off both phones off, take out the simcard, put into new phone, switch it on.

This is nothing new, since the beginning of GSM this is available.
    Which country??

Posted via my awesome Passport
    02-03-15 08:44 AM
    I Googled the duo Sim setup in the United States and found nothing. Either it is a well keep secret or United States carriers once again lag.

02-03-15 09:20 AM
    So I want to stay with my thread here and post some more observations. The Passport is here to stay, for sure. As I've used it more, and used it exclusively during the day (leaving my Note 3 at home or in the truck) this is my current state of thinking.

The earlier comment is probably true; I am squarely in the "prosumer" category. For now I am going to keep both phones. I have enough lines to keep them both and won't be put to a real choice until I decide to cancel a line.

I am already proficient using the Note 3. I can literally do most things by muscle memory with it. Having said that I have found myself doing things and switching between apps and tasks on the Blackberry without tracing to think about it; and I have done that much quicker than I did with the Note 3. The screen on the Android is nice and big and I don't have to worry about the battery (because I can swap them and have a few always charged). Using the Passport, I have become more aware of the number of steps and gestures required to do simple things on my Note 3. I've found that Google Now is not as accurate as I'd thought. The typing experience on the Android is horrible (using SwiftKey) compared to the Passport but it is also much faster. The few times during the day that I use media or want to hand write a note, the Note 3 is the obvious choice. But the reception of the Note 3 is terrible by comparison. Finally, the Note 3 is ALWAYS updating apps. That is tedious and I wonder how much data it costs (not that the amount of data I use is a concern, but in general the Blackberry doesn't update as much).

The Passport's virtues are somewhat listed above. Typing is more methodical and accurate. The signal reception is much stronger and sound quality is as good or better than my landline. When I first tried to replicate the Android apps on my Passport I found that several simply don't exist or work. But I have realized that is a rabbit trail... Even after getting several, I found that I didn't use them and that the core features of the Blackberry were the ones I really use, along with call logging and recording. I don't look at the Passport as often and I'm not sure why, but I guess that the notification system is more customizable and... Sane.... I think it is also because I'm confident that the Blackberry is doing what I need it to do without constant attention. One glaring issue with the Blackberry is that I watch the battery. I'm just not used to that. I haven't had to charge during the day but I am out of business if it flatlines. It is just a concern that I am sure will go away with time. The other, and the reason I am posting this using the Android, is that despite the big beautiful screen, there are several apps that produce text too small for my eyes. But, having mentioned the screen, the readability in daylight of the Passport screen is a killer feature. Awesome. Blackberry blend is efficient and the hodge podge of Android apps to accomplish the same goal with Android is cumbersome. Lack of Google support is a shortfall for me personally, but I've been able to work around most of that with minimal effort. Put simply, for calls, calendaring, logging, billing, recording, typing, and keeping track of contacts, I find the Passport superior.

My plan going forward is to return to using the Blackberry for its strengths and keep the Note handy in lieu of my android tablet. The tablet requires WiFi and does not have a stylus. The Note 3 is faster and more flexible. For now, the Note 3 is going to be my tablet and media machine. Again, if I decide to cancel a line the choice will be hard, but based on what I see now, the Passport would be the winner.

I guess I should fully disclose my love/hate relationship with Google because it bears on my observations, if only slightly. I do pay for Google to host my domain and email/contacts/calendar, but I send my cloud files elsewhere. I am a lawyer and I often represent criminal defendants in federal court. I have seen the kind of information Google collects such as your location, preferences, and all communications other than voice (unless you use Google voice for calls and voicemail). Most people have a general sense of this, but I assure you, what is collected is GRANULAR. I don't plan to ever be a criminal defendant, but my experience has made me aware of what I am giving up by using Google, and I see why it is "free" in very stark relief. So, I have always loved the services offered by Google but hated what Google gathers on me, and I have to say that I am slightly inclined against a Google setup for that reason. But that doesn't tip the scales.

I am also biased against blackberry because I got some crappy handsets at one point (8800 and torch) and owned the top of the line Playbook(s). I thought they stopped innovating and released some half baked products. The Playbook was bad. I saw its virtue; I really did, but it was clearly a mistep and one that cost me some real dollars (I had more than one for my office). The q10 had the same feel, but blackberry has followed through with it.

Having said all of that, I haven't made a call with my Note 3 in days and it stays in my briefcase most of the time, on silent.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on a Note 3. Giving my Passport a rest.
    Last edited by CharlieV#AC; 02-03-15 at 10:01 AM.
    02-03-15 09:45 AM
    You would not believe how many corrections I had to make using my Note 3 in the above post. Vindicates my decision.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on a Note 3. Giving my Passport a rest.
    02-03-15 10:03 AM
    The battery life improves significantly after a couple of weeks. I also tend to use older BlackBerry chargers for overnight charging, they have much lower amps and are gentler on the battery. I get two days' use about 3 times out of 5.

I have several of those lying around. The little black cubes. I out them in a box in favor of higher amp chargers. When my two week break in is over I'll give that a shot and report back.

02-03-15 10:06 AM
    I got saucy yesterday and upgraded to a leaked OS. 10.3.1.2072. The upgrade was painless and I did it because I really want the shortcuts to apps. I am not disappointed. Very nice.

I should also mention that the upgrade returned my phone to a stock setup. I wasn't expecting that and it was mildly irritating, and it required me to reload every app re sync, etc. This was a good thing because I focused on the apps I use. The point, though, is that all of this was done with screen on and except for the short update, unconnected to a charger. The Passport limped home on an 18 hour day with all of that, and had a tiny bit left (10 percent). . I would have had to swap my note 3 battery at least once in that process, and maybe twice.

Serkle K and Rowan M like this.
    02-03-15 10:11 AM
    The Passport limped home on an 18 hour day with all of that, and had a tiny bit left (10 percent). . I would have had to swap my note 3 battery at least once in that process, and maybe twice.

The passport battery is very good, I can testify to that...but I owned a Note 3 and I have a Note 4. The battery was VERY difficult to kill in a 24 hour period.

02-03-15 02:15 PM
    For anyone noting those purchases I made earlier (tempered glass screen protector, charging dock, and case)--and I don't remember the names now--here is what I found after receiving them all from Amazon.

The GOOD:

The case is great. I think it is called Tudia. Easy to hold, not too thick. Fairly protective. I actually like having a little more thickness on the phone because for my hands it makes it easier to hold and type.

The BAD:

The tempered glass screen protector was my worst online purchase since online purchases were invented. It was, first, SUPER thick. It was, second and more import, NOT FLAT, meaning that it did not adhere to the phone except in a silver dollar sized patch in the middle. I literally hoped that it wasn't glass and put a heat gun on it (not on the phone) to try to bend it. That bad. You can't bend glass that way and it broke. I owned it maybe 5 minutes. It is very strong, but worse looking than just having a broken screen. Really horrible. I should have read the reviews more closely. I have already ordered some alternates (a matte one and a privacy one) from other manufacturers.

THE MEDIUM:

I got the particular dock because it works with cases. What it failed to mention is that it only works with cases that do not add thickness around the mini/micro/whatever USB charging port (and a case that didn't do that wouldn't be much of a cased, would it?). In other words, the case would have to have little to no thickness at the bottom of the phone for the male USB end to make it far enough into the phone to actually charge it. So, I am left with having to remove my case to charge it (which means I should have gotten the OEM dock for the same price), and a wiggly male USB end that is designed to move around to accommodate different case back thicknesses. Not terrible, but not great, either.

EDIT: Okay, I am a goose. I failed to read the black text on the clear sticker, which was on the black back of the dock. I peeled it and put it on a white piece of paper and you can remove some thickness at the bottom of the dock, which makes the USB male end stick farther out and, to be honest, it works perfectly with my case. I am changing the rating to MEDIUM-HIGH. Unfortunately, the sparse instructions that are printed black on white (instead of the black on black ones) make no mention of this mod. This was designed "for tablets," according to the Chinese/English instructions, but it actually works pretty well. I paid too much but what's new...
    Last edited by CharlieV#AC; 02-03-15 at 05:25 PM.
    anon(870071) likes this.
    02-03-15 05:14 PM
    I would gladly change to any IMAP provider, especially since I will be off Android for :the foreseeable future (I still use the note 3) but it is such a pain to move my domain.
    Posted via CB10
    Try Office365 for your hosted domain. If you Google it, you can find the directions for moving hosted domains to live.com, ie Microsoft services like Office365. It uses active sync and works well with the Passport. If you buy/subscribe to the Office365, you get access to all the Office Apps on your PC/Mac, plus a huge amount of storage, maybe 1tb.

edit: Outlook.com no longer allows you to move hosted domains to Outlook.com, ones already moved are supported. You need Office365 for hosted domain.

https://domains.live.com/
    02-03-15 05:36 PM
    OP, you need the Classic.

Visit GTR Lifestyle @ C001247FA
    02-03-15 06:12 PM
163 ... 34567