Wow I just learned something amazing that everyone else probably already knows.

With blackberry blend installed and running, I can access the files on my computer from my blackberry. That's really neat. I do that in file manager. I also noticed that my onedrive is accessible from file manager. Very, very nice.

So here's a question: is it possible to make a shortcut on my computer so I can access a network drive in the same manner???

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    01-31-15 12:52 AM
    Great thread, I enjoyed reading it. Just a tip in case you aren't aware, the keyboard has a few swipe functions that make life a bit easier:

Swipe from right to left to delete a word

Swipe down to access numbers, swipe down again for symbols, swipe down again to return to default

Double tap on keyboard to access the magnifier, then use keyboard as touchscreen to navigate.

Of course it's possible that you knew all of that but just in case I thought I'd let you know

Posted via CB10
    01-31-15 02:13 AM
    Hi CharlieV,

Thanks for the follow up. You provided good information. I hope others help you with some of the questions you have.

With regards to a Phone call recorder, try the app from Devcellent solutions called: "Phone Tap - call blocker". Headless app.
    01-31-15 07:04 AM
    Thanks for sharing OP great reminders of all that makes the passport work.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-15 07:11 AM
    Charge from 9 percent to full took 2 hours and twenty minutes using the included charger. I haven't found something to magnify and determine the amperage but I bet it is 2.0 amps.
    BatteryGuru in BlackBerryWorld is a native app and will show charge and discharge rates.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-15 07:14 AM
    That's a typical day for me with my Z30

My Canada My BlackBerry My Z30
    CharlieV likes this.
    01-31-15 07:21 AM
    Great thread, I enjoyed reading it. Just a tip in case you aren't aware, the keyboard has a few swipe functions that make life a bit easier:

Swipe from right to left to delete a word

Swipe down to access numbers, swipe down again for symbols, swipe down again to return to default

Double tap on keyboard to access the magnifier, then use keyboard as touchscreen to navigate.

Of course it's possible that you knew all of that but just in case I thought I'd let you know

Posted via CB10
    Hahaha you are so kind. I did not know any of that. I am going to practice it today. In fact, today is going to be my day to leave the Android at home (this is day 3).

01-31-15 07:57 AM
    Hi CharlieV,

Thanks for the follow up. You provided good information. I hope others help you with some of the questions you have.

With regards to a Phone call recorder, try the app from Devcellent solutions called: "Phone Tap - call blocker". Headless app.
    I'll give it a shot. Headless means I don't have to keep it open on the main screen right? I noticed call motes starts by itself and is headless (by my definition anyway) but call recorder pro isn't... Both are by the same developer so I'm not sure why one would work one way and the other another. But I'm not a programmer either. I am just a demanding user! Haha. But I've got a few bucks in the penny jar to find the one that works best. Thanks for the tip!

01-31-15 08:00 AM
    BatteryGuru in BlackBerryWorld is a native app and will show charge and discharge rates.

Posted via CB10
    I got it just now based on your suggestion. Looks very useful!

01-31-15 08:01 AM
    I got it just now based on your suggestion. Looks very useful!

BatteryGuru was a must have with the Playbook and the magnetic chargers or charging stand, as they didn't always make the high current connection. Using the app, you can make sure the charger is connected correctly and it is charging. Also helpful with the phones and third party chargers to ensure they are charging at the higher current.
    01-31-15 09:39 AM
    Is there a way to use shortcut keys to open programs or are they limited to speed dial?
    10.3.1 has shortcut keys which will launch apps. Will arrive on Passport in OS update soon hopefully.

So here's a question: is it possible to make a shortcut on my computer so I can access a network drive in the same manner???
    Not sure I follow but if the phone is connected via cable to your PC, you should be able to see 2 new drives(one for internal phone and one for SD card) in Windows Explorer.
    01-31-15 02:01 PM
    10.3.1 has shortcut keys which will launch apps. Will arrive on Passport in OS update soon hopefully.

Not sure I follow but if the phone is connected via cable to your PC, you should be able to see 2 new drives(one for internal phone and one for SD card) in Windows Explorer.
    I think he's asking if maps a network drive or creates a shortcut to it on his computer, if it sill show up and be accessible on his Passport via Blend.

I want to say in theory, if it is mapped, that it should be accessible because the file table should recognize it, however I haven't tried to access any shared drive when I'm in the office over my device. I usually use it the other way around.

As a side note, before this post, I was just subscribed to this thread, because I really enjoyed your updates and findings on how you made the switch and how you went about your evaluations. I felt like I became more invested in this process and thread than you, lol.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-15 02:08 PM
    By heavy task do you mean you're lifting large blocks of lead, or other heavy materials? If so, I wouldn't place these heavy loads onto your passport directly, it will break. I'm an *****.

Posted via CB10
    CharlieV likes this.
    01-31-15 04:49 PM
    I think he's asking if maps a network drive or creates a shortcut to it on his computer, if it sill show up and be accessible on his Passport via Blend.

I want to say in theory, if it is mapped, that it should be accessible because the file table should recognize it, however I haven't tried to access any shared drive when I'm in the office over my device. I usually use it the other way around.

As a side note, before this post, I was just subscribed to this thread, because I really enjoyed your updates and findings on how you made the switch and how you went about your evaluations. I felt like I became more invested in this process and thread than you, lol.

Posted via CB10
    Hahaha as to the last. I spent all day with the Passport only and it worked out great. Plenty of battery life left. On the way home I stopped with my wife at Michael's to buy some... I don't know what we bought. In any case, she told me to come in and bring my phone to use an online coupon. Ugh. No Android.... no problem. I dounloaded the Amazon app and ended up saving 60 bucks with the retailmenot app.

Other than that I made a Storybook with pictures from the trip. She loved it.

And this is my first post of any length with my Passport. I love it. Does everything I need to do with aplomb.

I was referring to a mapped drive, specifically my server that shows up as drive v: on my computer. I don't see it in blend but I'll do some googling and figure it out.

Thanks for following and participating in the thread!!!

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by CharlieV#AC; 01-31-15 at 06:19 PM.
    01-31-15 06:08 PM

When I can assign shortcuts to programs I will lose all fondness for my old 9900!

Posted via CB10
    01-31-15 06:10 PM

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant I wanted to know whether I could address drives that were accessible on the computer from my BlackBerry, remotely.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-15 06:21 PM
    Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant I wanted to know whether I could address drives that were accessible on the computer from my BlackBerry, remotely.

Posted via CB10
    Yes.

In "Link" on your computer you can enable this, and add any drives from your computer, server, NAS, etc. Then you can access them via File manager on your Passport just like you would access OneDrive or Dropbox. Except your computer name will show up for selection, and then the drives you've enabled for sharing. Tremendous!

Posted via CB10
    CharlieV likes this.
    01-31-15 06:38 PM
    This is an amazing thread OP. Love your enthusiasm and your quick learning abilities. It really is a pleasure being part of your Passport journey. I feel like a kid discovering as you are discovering the surprises and the wonders of the Passport. It proves how much BlackBerry is really on to something wonderful with this phone. I feel it will only get better for BlackBerry as more people like yourself (given the chance to do so) will make similar discoveries on their own with this phone. BB10 OS is only two years old as of today, and already it has won the Golden award for the best Operating System. Long live BlackBerry.
    Mo Cat and CharlieV like this.
    01-31-15 08:00 PM
    This is an amazing thread OP. Love your enthusiasm and your quick learning abilities. It really is a pleasure being part of your Passport journey. I feel like a kid discovering as you are discovering the surprises and the wonders of the Passport. It proves how much BlackBerry is really on to something wonderful with this phone. I feel it will only get better for BlackBerry as more people like yourself (given the chance to do so) will make similar discoveries on their own with this phone. BB10 OS is only two years old as of today, and already it has won the Golden award for the best Operating System. Long live BlackBerry.
    Thanks. This has been a real eye opener for me, too. As stated in my original post, I literally bought my Passport by mistake. But I had been researching it for some time and I think I literally read every professionally written review dated September 2014 forward about the device. What I expected was a nice screen, an innovative keyboard, and some increased functionality over the old Q10 (with the hope that it would be close to the functionality of my 9900).

Once the Passport was ordered, I just hoped it would come close to my Android phone in functionality, and I was pretty sure it would fall short. I really thought I would be returning it and have a funny story to tell about ordering it.

What I have found is that the Passport and BB10 as it has evolved from the short time that I had my Q10 (which was very early in BB10's life) far surpasses the Android for my use case. Right of the BOX the Passport has functionality that doesn't exist in Android, except by a patchwork of apps, both paid, and free... if at all. Today when I made typos, they were mine. I owned them. And they were obviously typos and not word choices by an overzealous nanny of a keyboard that saps me of the ability to spell. Blend is just SHOCKINGLY good. Onedrive integration. The HUB. The simple act of sitting the Passport next to a Note 3 (LARGE PHONE) with both keyboards in view and seeing how much more screen the Passport has. Reading something--anything--is so much easier on the Passport due to the extra width and bright screen. It is so fluid!

The truth is that even for a semi-interested person like myself, who has previously invested in Blackberry beyond simply buying one or two phones and then left the fold, I feel new to Blackberry again and, looking back, am shocked at the level to which I had become prejudiced against it. But it is clear that the reviewers and maybe lack of marketing are the issue. What do you learn from reviewers? Specs, the neato keyboard, the screen, the "lack of apps," that the Android apk experience is "cumbersome" and that the Android apps sometimes "don't work." Ever read a review that DIDN'T say that Amazon Appstore is nice but lacks a few hundred thousand apps that Google Play has; some might even mention SNap, but most just say that the hundred thousand apps on Amazon is just "OK." No discussion of Blackberry World except that it is "sparse." WHATEVER! Anyone reading this could shoot each of those points down, but the bigger point is that the reviewers uniformly miss the DETAIL of the functionality of BB10 in its current state and the Passport hardware. Small businesspeople like me need to know that it can get the files from my desktop, that Voice Assistant is really good... REALLY... Like most things that are worthwhile, BB10 has a learning curve and most people aren't willing to invest in that unless they have a good idea that it is going to pay off. Reviewers, in general, just don't go into enough depth to convey that thought to most people (including me) and when I read the reviews I was really paying attention.

I am certainly not through learning how to use BB10 and the Passport, but I have shifted from wondering whether the Passport can come close to stacking up to the best Android phones (for my sort of businessy-use), to what else it does that Android and iOs just can't accomplish. As I said before and it is even more true now, I am very glad that I accidentally ordered a Passport. Honestly, but for the fact that my thumb trembles a little when it gets stretched, I think I would have missed it altogether. I feel like I found a ticket to an exclusive speakeasy on the ground and, having joined the club, am getting ahead in ways that I could not have imagined. It is just that good of an experience for me.

I am glad you are enjoying the discussion here. When I woke up this morning I was pretty sure that everyone was just being polite while thinking "SHUT UP ALREADY!"
    Serkle K, Z_Tasreen and Skyforever like this.
    01-31-15 10:43 PM
    Yes.

In "Link" on your computer you can enable this, and add any drives from your computer, server, NAS, etc. Then you can access them via File manager on your Passport just like you would access OneDrive or Dropbox. Except your computer name will show up for selection, and then the drives you've enabled for sharing. Tremendous!

Posted via CB10
    Yes another SHOCKINGLY GOOD implementation of an idea I never had by Blackberry. Works just as you say. Perfect. Thanks!

On Android, to accomplish this, I had to (and DID) hire an IT guy to install FTP and some other things on my file server, allow it through the hardware and software firewalls, get me a fixed IP address both internally and extrernally, put some ridiculous non GUI old school DOS looking app on my phone, enter IP address, domain name, username, and password (all perfectly, on screen keyboard that constantly wants to correct everything), then navigate the non-standard (Linux) directory structure of my file server to find the one file I was looking for. And then close it all because it would run my battery down faster than a pail of water.

Zip, zap, Link, Blend... here you go. WOW!
    Serkle K and Zeratul57 like this.
    01-31-15 10:49 PM
    I am glad you are enjoying the discussion here. When I woke up this morning I was pretty sure that everyone was just being polite while thinking "SHUT UP ALREADY!"
    Charlie, I know this may sound clich� but, you are the targeted smartphone user, or a "prosumer" as BlackBerry calls it. That's why you felt right at home with BlackBerry 10 platform. And it happens so that on this forum it's full of these type of people, so don't worry about people being too polite here.

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2072
    Serkle K, Z_Tasreen and CharlieV like this.
    02-01-15 11:09 AM
    To your question a while back for encrypted chat. BlackBerry *almost* has exactly what you need with BBM Protected, a mode with BBM where it will encrypt each message line with a unique encryption key known only to the two participating BBM clients. However, in its current incarnation it is only available as an option when both handsets are managed by BES (doesn't have to be the same one, and can be iOS or Android clients, but still an unlikely scenario).

Normal BBM is reasonably secure other than from determined governments though. Uses TLS encryption over the Internet, AES encryption at rest, and the message contents are also encrypted with tripleDES. Just two big limitations:
    1) the tripleDES key is the same for every BBM client and known by BB
    2) the messages pass through BlackBerry NOC in certain countries and government court orders/laws in those places can compel BB to decrypt with that known 3DES key.

BlackBerry also has the Secusmart solution where it encrypts everything (including SMS and voice) but that requires both parties to have blackberries. Good enough for Merkel to hide from the US government though.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-15 01:04 PM
    Charlie, I know this may sound clich� but, you are the targeted smartphone user, or a "prosumer" as BlackBerry calls it. That's why you felt right at home with BlackBerry 10 platform. And it happens so that on this forum it's full of these type of people, so don't worry about people being too polite here.

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2072
    I thought the same exact thing!! His return and findings are basically everything BlackBerry and their R&D team were aiming for!

Posted via CB10
    02-01-15 01:07 PM
    Just keep them coming, Charlie! We at CrackBerry love to hear good things about BB10 from the non-believers (erm, a former, in your case!), as they are so few and far between :-D Passport is the dog’s bollocks, — and it’s the best $499 I’ve spent to date.
    02-01-15 02:22 PM
    My sole unresolved disappointment has been that I cannot open my favorite site without changing to desktop mode in the developer options of the browser. Land Rover Forums. For some reason, when I try to open it, the address changes at the bottom of the screen very quickly, again and again. And it never opens.
    Very bizarre! Just tried it, and it does exactly like you say.

If you change to "Desktop Mode" in the Browser by going to Settings -> Developer Tools -> Desktop Mode... it does in fact load... but then proceeds to crash!

Can't say I've ever seen a website react quite like this in the BB10 Browser before.

http://landroverforums.com/forum/

Just tried opening it in Hub Browser & it works okay. Still strange that it won't open in the regular browser.

Is this Forum available for you to browse in the Tapatalk application?
    02-01-15 07:34 PM
163 ... 23456 ...