I use an app called VIPOLE for IM. It is encrypted (I use the free version with developer supplied key). I am not married to it though. I just remembered one of my disappointments with OS10--at the time anyway I could not add SMS contacts to BBM like I could with OS7.

Actually I use the camera for both business and personal. I have used my camera to capture documents and save or email as PDF files. I also take pictures and upload to forums for help with my hobby (car restoration/keeping them all running). I think the passport camera will be fine.

The pen is not a huge issue. It is nice to pull the pen put and job a name and number. The Note 3 will then OCR the note and populate fields in a new contact. I can make it without that, though.

I really like the passport.

I've been doing some reading about the build quality of the black versus the red. I really have to have black both because it looks more business like and so I can use it in court without bringing unwanted attention on myself.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    01-16-15 11:29 AM
    I'll check that out. Really, being sure that I can print is my last issue. My printer is the Bluetooth version so WiFi printing wouldn't help me. I often use it in my SUV or just outside a courtroom and WiFi is not always open, available, or easy to set up (some places require the Mac address of each device... A PITA!).

Since I started looking at the passport my typos have irritated me more and more. Haha I think I need to just get one.

01-16-15 11:33 AM
    I also use my phone for billing using a service called rocket matter. It has an android apk that I am sure I can obtain via snap. I don't imagine anyone here is using that.

If worse came to worse I could just use my note 3 on a spare line or a tablet for everything except the calls, and while I have focused on applications here, the truth is that calls and texts are the most important issues for me.

I had to put a femtocel in my office to ensure good call quality and I never had that problem with my blackberries. Even now, with the femtocel off, my old 9900 has great service inside while my note 3 is sitting on one bar. Consequently, when the Internet goes out (rare, but it happens) I either have to go outside or swap my SIM into an old Motorola Tundra. Not ideal.

01-16-15 11:39 AM
    Huh?

I use print to go on my passport daily. What the app actually does is connects to a WIFI printer thats on the same network, and allows you to print directly from your device. Not sure what you mean about it only printing documents from your PC to your BB.

EDIT:
    Not sure if its actually available for the PP. I got it from amazon when it was the free app of the day, and have just carried it over from my z10 to my PP. Still says available on my amazon acc. when I go into it.
    I'm talking about the BlackBerry app, you're talking about an Android app of the same name. That's the difference. Good to know there is an Android printing solution though! The BlackBerry app of the same name is entirely a different solution.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-15 01:16 PM
    You can buy a duo-sim, like for the car phones.
    One number two sims, the last switched on is active.
    Very comfortable for a 2nd android phone for apps.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-15 02:44 PM

Posted via CB10
    What!? Service providers will not activate two sim cards on one number!?Please explain, I'm unclear about this!?

Posted via CB10
    01-16-15 05:58 PM
    I am a very longtime member of Crackberry (my username got changed when everything was combined)...
    MODERATOR:

Sorry about that... I just discovered my old login information...

Charlie V (Charles van Cleef)
    Hi there, I'll ask if we can merge your accounts. Not sure whether or not that's possible.
    Otherwise, I'll close the new one if not.
    @OP:

Accounts merged. Your original account is now the Thread Author (aka "OP).
    01-17-15 04:55 PM
    I'm talking about the BlackBerry app, you're talking about an Android app of the same name. That's the difference. Good to know there is an Android printing solution though! The BlackBerry app of the same name is entirely a different solution.

Posted via CB10
    No your right, I got my apps mixed up. Print to go is just what you described, printhand is what I was describing.

My humble apologies.
    01-17-15 05:24 PM

Posted via CB10
    Seriously... this would be huge. How can I get one of these "duo sim"???

To the OP. I think you'll find the Passport will easily stand up to your "busy" days. Only real issue is to make sure you can get the apps you really need for your day to day usage (keep in mind that some of the things you have to come to rely on apps for in Android, are natively baked into the Passport's OS).

Posted via CB10
    01-17-15 06:57 PM
    Seriously... this would be huge. How can I get one of these "duo sim"???
    Posted via CB10
    You go to your mobile operator, and simply ask for it.

They deactivate and destroy your old simcard, and you get the two new simcards in a DUO SIM package, and then they activate it.

Only one can be active at a time, usually the rule is that the last switched on will be active.

Usually they charge a small fee for the new simcards.

A typical use is for car speakerphone terminals, but also comfortable for laptops, etc.

For two phones, it's much more comfortable then to switch off both phones off, take out the simcard, put into new phone, switch it on.

This is nothing new, since the beginning of GSM this is available.
    01-18-15 05:02 PM
    You go to your mobile operator, and simply ask for it.

They deactivate and destroy your old simcard, and you get the two new simcards in a DUO SIM package, and then they activate it.

Only one can be active at a time, usually the rule is that the last switched on will be active.

Usually they charge a small fee for the new simcards.

A typical use is for car speakerphone terminals, but also comfortable for laptops, etc.

For two phones, it's much more comfortable then to switch off both phones off, take out the simcard, put into new phone, switch it on.

This is nothing new, since the beginning of GSM this is available.

Sounds great, but I don't think this works in the U.S.

Posted via CB10
    01-18-15 07:09 PM
    @OP:

Accounts merged. Your original account is now the Thread Author (aka "OP).
    Thank you!

01-19-15 10:00 AM
    Does anyone know of the duo SIM setup works in the US? I suspect not... But it would be great!

01-19-15 10:01 AM
    Thanks again for all of the replies to my original post. Very helpful. I found a mint (looking and described) passport in eBay for 450 and applied a 10 percent off coupon. 405 with free shipping. Can't wait.

01-19-15 10:04 AM
    Thanks again for all of the replies to my original post. Very helpful. I found a mint (looking and described) passport in eBay for 450 and applied a 10 percent off coupon. 405 with free shipping. Can't wait.

Do you mind sharing the coupon code? :P

Posted via Q10
    01-19-15 10:47 AM
    Printhand is the app you need for printing. It is an Android port, available in BlackBerryWorld. There is a free version so you can test it with your printer.

I tried testing it with a Bluetooth printer and noticed that the Bluetooth option is greyed out and not selectable.

How well would Passport handle my heavy task load?-img_20150119_142503.png

Posted via CB10
    CharlieV likes this.
    01-19-15 02:19 PM
    Re: DuoSim
    I'd be surpised if it doesn't work in the US - there's more car and carphones there then in other markets.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-15 04:10 PM
    Re: DuoSim
    I'd be surpised if it doesn't work in the US - there's more car and carphones there then in other markets.

Posted via CB10
    I honestly haven't seen a "carphone" since maybe the 90s... phone and bluetooth pairing is the most common solution.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-15 08:28 PM
    Did the op decide on as to whtehr or not he's getting tha passport?

Posted via CB10
    01-21-15 09:27 PM

Posted via CB10

It looks like it.

Curious to see if he posts a follow-up and how it handles his work load
    01-21-15 09:56 PM
    Curious as well

Posted via CB10
    01-21-15 10:09 PM
    Do you mind sharing the coupon code? :P

Posted via Q10
    So sorry I just saw that. But it wasn't a code, it just appeared in my checkout summary. And unfortunately it was single use.

01-28-15 07:00 PM
    I will definitely post a follow up. There was an issue with the "mint" eBay purchase, and I returned it. So my coupon had expired and I was out of luck.

That's irritating.

Next step was to order one from Amazon, and it arrives tomorrow by 8. Unfortunately I had to pay a little more for the Amazon one and I had to pay tax (I can sit on a penny and it is gone when I rise... I am frugal), so I am still using my note 3. I will definitely post how it works out. And I will post on Amazon as well.

Interestingly, the note 3 has been acting up, making more typos, freezing, showing poor reception, and generally pissing me off more than ever. I can't decide whether that is perception or reality.

But as to the question above, I am very appreciative for the input, and I will let you know how it works out. I basically work from my phone and laptop and have to be super organized, so it will be hard to switch at first and I may carry both phones. My goal is to carry one.

BTW does anyone know how the passport or bb10 handles TIF files? Are they displayed natively? I get all of my faxes that way and, since most of them are garbage, it is nice to be able to check them on my phone. Android handles them very inelegantly as an email attachment, showing a thumbnail but then refusing to open it. You have to have an app to view those files and "share" to the app. A complete PITA.

01-28-15 07:08 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yep. Ordered and awaiting arrival by 8 tomorrow.

01-28-15 07:12 PM
    I paid close attention today to what I really used on my note 3 in preparation for a switch.

Lots of texts and instant messages.

Got docket information in browser.

Pulled and reviewed a PDF and word document from onedrive.

Received a SHOW CAUSE ORDER (a very bad thing) from. Court of appeals claiming that I missed a briefing deadline. Found logged call (automatically logged to calendar) and recording of call (also automatic), emailed screenshot of calendar entry and mp3 of recorded call to clerk and received an order withdrawing the show cause order. Very satisfying (I'd gotten an extension by phone...)

Calculator

Several calls

Calendared deadline

Kautwbed to a podcast while driving

Received 187 emails, glanced at each (so fat), responded to twelve, marked about two dozen for follow up.

Instant messages while on call.

Googled for closest store to have blackberry passport accessories (#fail).

Set alarm for tomorrow morning.

Checked twitter maybe 10 times and read some linked stories in browser.

Write all of this in crackberry app.

Seems like the passport will handle all of that, no?! I hope so because mine is somewhere between there and here;hopefully closer to here so I can get it early enough to get a new sim form the at&t store.

Typos are the fault of my note 3... I am leaving them so you will see how frustrating it is. And this is with the best keyboard you can get: SwiftKey!

01-28-15 07:19 PM
163 1234 ...