Hi, my girlfriend recently got a Blackberry Passport, and shes a nurse at a real life hospital. Up until recently she always had the Iphone4 and communicated with her 6 or 7 work partners through "imessage".

The problem is - that she now has a Blackberry Passport and everyone that was sending her imessages before seem to no longer be able to text her. Wifi on the old iphone is off and still no messages (which previously were imessages) are coming through to the Passport.

Is this a problem because she was using such an old Iphone before? How can she stop this from happening and just talk to her partners on a normal group text or something similar..? She is trying to avoid inconveniencing anyone on their end about this and would like to just Or there isn't an iMessage app for BB, right?

thanks gals and guys, really really appreciate it!
    04-12-15 07:39 PM
    She has to get disassociated from her Iphone, contact apple and have them remover her.
    04-12-15 07:44 PM
    It's a known issue with iMessage. Apple never imagined that anyone would ever in a million years leave their iPhone for an inferior OS, so they never built in an easy opt-out into iMessage. If you do a google search on it, you should find countless threads of former iPhone users complaining of not being able to receive text messages from iPhone users. It has something to do with logging into your apple account and removing the association to your cell number.

Posted via CB10
    ssbtech likes this.
    04-12-15 07:45 PM
    What's important to understand is that when you have an iPhone, and send a sms, the iPhone detects whether the recipient's number is also associated with an iPhone. If it is, it sends the message using iMessages instead of SMS.

The problem is that when you switch to another device, sometimes their database does not get updated, and their database still lists your number as being associated with your old iPhone... so messages sent to your number by other iPhone's get sent as iMessages.

What the other posters refer to is the process of manually telling Apple to "take your number off their list". So that SMS sent to your phone number no longer get converted to iMessages.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-15 07:54 PM
    If you still have the iphone you can turn off imessage on it but if memory serves you have to do the same on all apple products. Like I had to sign out of imessage on my iPad and iMac as well before it would work.

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Passport
    04-12-15 07:55 PM
    Has she tried:
    Insert sim in iphone
    Turn off imessage feature under messages app in settings
    Reset iphone with sim then put the sim back in the Passport.

I switch over with an iphone 6+ almost on a daily basis but Ihave the imessage feature off when I use the iphone and I receive text messages fine when I switch back to my passport.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-15 07:55 PM
    And also as stated above turn off all associated imessage accounts on laptops and ipads.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-15 07:57 PM
    04-12-15 08:17 PM
    Keep in mind that after de registering from iMessage, her contacts will have to update her contact info to remove her as an iMessage recipient and also start a NEW conversation because if her friends try to continue in the old conversation it will still try to send iMessages. My wife went from iPhone to LG G3 and it took a little while to get it all untangled.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-15 09:16 PM
    They really made it difficult for people to switch to anything else, most people would get fed up and just go back to apple

Posted via CB10
    04-12-15 09:36 PM
    Actually all she needs to do is wait 4-5 days... and the messages will automatically start coming on their own. I've gone through it a couple of times. Because the messages will be become "unreads", it will self correct

Posted via CB10
    04-12-15 09:58 PM
    They really made it difficult for people to switch to anything else, most people would get fed up and just go back to apple

Posted via CB10
    This is why Apple still hasn't solved the problem to this date. People assume that it's a problem with their new phone.

Posted via the super amazing BlackBerry Q10
    GreenCopperz likes this.
    04-12-15 09:58 PM
    This is why Apple still hasn't solved the problem to this date. People assume that it's a problem with their new phone.

Posted via the super amazing BlackBerry Q10
    In apples defense why would they? They know their lost sheep will be back in the heard in no time if the don't.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-15 10:15 PM
    Yeah, I had the same problem... Two group threads, they would delete threads, delete me out of contacts, re-add me.. I turned off iMessage before I switched, deregistered, Texting STOP to 48369, changed my Apple ID password, deleted threads, deleted all contracts out of icloud, the only things I didn't do was reset network settings or remove phone number from my support profile.

I know in one group thread someone had an ipad and would reply via iMessage, thus making everyone else reply via iMessage. And I couldn't receive imessages.. In the end I returned my BlackBerry because I only had limited time to return it (14 days). I did get two group texts with iPhones to work via SMS/MMS, so I suspect the iPad is the issue. Don't know if anyone had one in the other group text. Good luck to you

https. support.apple.com/en-us/HT204270
    04-13-15 05:37 PM
    Yeah, I had the same problem... Two group threads, they would delete threads, delete me out of contacts, re-add me.. I turned off iMessage before I switched, deregistered, Texting STOP to 48369, changed my Apple ID password, deleted threads, deleted all contracts out of icloud, the only things I didn't do was reset network settings or remove phone number from my support profile.

I know in one group thread someone had an ipad and would reply via iMessage, thus making everyone else reply via iMessage. And I couldn't receive imessages.. In the end I returned my BlackBerry because I only had limited time to return it (14 days). I did get two group texts with iPhones to work via SMS/MMS, so I suspect the iPad is the issue. Don't know if anyone had one in the other group text. Good luck to you

Wow, I have not even considered turning in my Berry for iMessage issues. No chance of getting them onto BBM? LOL!!!

Posted via CB10
    04-15-15 04:11 PM
    The solution is obvious: BBM! ;-)

Posted via CB10
    anon(153966) and MLE724 like this.
    04-15-15 06:19 PM
    What have we learned from all this?

1) Apple is aware of the issue but won't fix it
    2) Apple believes lost iSheep will find their way back to the heard
    3) iMessage is a proprietary app so you can't move it to other platform
    4) Apple is a tangled mess
    5) Don't use iMessage...ever again
    6) BBM is the way to go.

Hehe.
    04-15-15 06:32 PM
    Actually all she needs to do is wait 4-5 days... and the messages will automatically start coming on their own. I've gone through it a couple of times. Because the messages will be become "unreads", it will self correct

Posted via CB10
    This is not true.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-15 06:48 PM
    I had to do this ^ AND txt "stop" to some number from the line with the issue AND tell everyone to delete our conversations and start new ones. Now it works.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-15 06:50 PM
    My niece switched from an iPhone to a SG5 in September. She deregistered with the SIM in the iPhone, used the deregistration site, told her friends on iPhone to delete her and add her back in, she still has 6 people who can't text her.

As a resolution she's just started insulting iPhone every chance she gets hoping those 6 people will switch platforms. Seems logical.

Although I know not helpful at all. Sorry.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-15 08:02 PM
    This is not true.

Posted via CB10
    I've done it twice... worked this way both times... if that makes it untrue then I don't know...maybe the proper way to phrase it, is the messages change back from imessage and become regular texts again

Posted via CB10
    04-15-15 08:47 PM
    The other option is to talk to Apple. I did this when I first got the Q10, called AT&T, they bumped me to Apple, fixed in less than 15 minutes. Say what you want about Apple (I've said it myself ), their customer service is top shelf.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-15 09:01 PM
    This was a known issue at apple about a year or so ago. It was so bad, people were having to wait up to 30 days to get deregistered off of imessage.

I was so irritated I filed a complaint with the FTC because it really violates fair trade amongst phone vendors

Well apparently many others complained to the fcc and other agencies where apple issued a public apology and came up with the self service deregister tool

Supposedly the phone can deregister quicker now

Also, make sure the senders have sms and mms fallback enabled inside imessage or they can't even send a txt message outbound

Posted via CB10
    thymaster likes this.
    04-15-15 10:02 PM
    I came here just to suggest BBM. It's better. Well.. it's not that great on an iPhone actually.. but 99 percent of the time it is better...

Posted via CB10
    thymaster likes this.
    04-15-15 10:06 PM

And this is why I will NEVER use an apple product!

 PassportSQW100-1 / 10.3.1.2708 Rogers Wireless
    thymaster likes this.
    04-16-15 12:40 AM
81 123 ...