In apples defense why would they? They know their lost sheep will be back in the heard in no time if the don't.

Posted via CB10
    That's how law suits happen. And they deserve to lose it...

Posted via CB10
    thymaster likes this.
    04-16-15 12:50 AM
    I believe there were two separate class action lawsuits brought against apple for this.

Posted via CB10
    thymaster likes this.
    04-16-15 08:33 PM
    There was a front page post where Apple finally made it easier for those that switch to get off imessage. It requires logging in to a website and deregistering. You receive a text and have to confirm your removal if my memory is correct. They finally made it a bit easier.

I could go into an entire novel on the mess Apple tried to make for my mother when I switched her to the Z10 last mother's day. Called Apple and we're told "you upgraded to a BlackBerry? That'll be $99 just to continue talking"... from there we called AT&T went through the troubleshooting again and they opened a 72 hour case. Finally got Apple on 3way with AT&T and resolved the issue. Needless to say it was a disaster and my mom was at a point where she was just like return the phone I'll keep the iPhone, but I was persistent. Couldn't believe Apple got away with that, basically making it impossible to switch.

Fortunately, they supposedly made the process easier now. I believe the deregister link on the first page may be the correct link, but CB did have a front page article when Apple finally decided to address this issue. You just have to find the link and follow the steps now and should remove imessage.

Posted via CB10
    deadcowboy likes this.
    04-17-15 12:10 AM
    Thanks guys, this information really helped a lot. She's able to text most of her contacts at work now. Group texting I don't think is working with all of them...but it's getting there..

Thanks again!
    TrvlngDrew likes this.
    04-17-15 09:50 AM
    Like someone else stated, BBM might be a 'quicker' solution. Or, maybe even WhatsApp *runs to the corner to hide*
    04-17-15 11:30 AM
    BBM...but that would only work if everyone had Blackberries, right?

And whatspp or kik would work? But then they would all have to chat on that platform right?

She's waiting for 1 coworker to return back to work from being sick to see if it works with everyone..and I'm really hoping she doesn't have to return her PP just because she can't get the messaging to work with her coworkers..but she is a RN making pretty good money..shes not going to let a blackberry stand in the way of that..
    04-17-15 02:03 PM
    All your q's answered:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203042

DO NOT reply with STOP when you get the code, or the code becomes inactive and you have to call Apple to de-register. Just follow the instructions on their site and it's easy.
    04-17-15 02:47 PM
    BBM...but that would only work if everyone had Blackberries, right?

And whatspp or kik would work? But then they would all have to chat on that platform right?

She's waiting for 1 coworker to return back to work from being sick to see if it works with everyone..and I'm really hoping she doesn't have to return her PP just because she can't get the messaging to work with her coworkers..but she is a RN making pretty good money..shes not going to let a blackberry stand in the way of that..
    BBM is available on all four major phone operating systems.
    04-17-15 02:48 PM
    While it's great that they made it easier to switch it would be better if people could simply TEXT MESSAGE each other like everyone else does...

Posted via CB10
    04-17-15 06:50 PM
    She's not going to get anyone to get BBM on their iPhones... things still aren't working with her Blackberry Passport...she's going to take it back today - She called Apple, they said its completely removed in their system..

Anything guys? Last ditch attempt what?

And to be clear/give an update - She is able to text iphones 1on1 just fine but it is with her Group texts which she is having most of her issues between her 6 other coworkers. She's had them remove her old texts, they've changed their settings...don't know what else to do
    04-22-15 07:52 AM
    She's not going to get anyone to get BBM on their iPhones... things still aren't working with her Blackberry Passport...she's going to take it back today - She called Apple, they said its completely removed in their system..

And to be clear/give an update - She is able to text iphones 1on1 just fine but it is with her Group texts which she is having most of her issues between her 6 other coworkers. She's had them remove her old texts, they've changed their settings...don't know what else to do
    I don't believe it's possible to be part of an imessage group if you don't have imessage lol. That would be the equivalent of being in a bbm group chat, or a whatsapp group chat.

Looks like she's stuck with iPhone since they all insist on having their imessage group chat.

If they were more open to ideas they could migrate the group chat to bbm(available for all platforms) OR whatsapp (available on all platforms)
    04-22-15 08:05 AM
    Well that's the thing though - it shouldn't be an imessage group chat. If one outlier doesn't have an iphone, the entire chat shouldn't be sent/setup thru imessage, right? Unlike BBM though, imessage is integrated into the text messages on iphone, there's no real distinction besides the colours? (this is what she is telling me)

And..yeah it'd be nice to migrate to BBM or whatsapp, but you know how everyday Americans are...they aren't installing any additional apps.
    04-22-15 08:52 AM
    Does she get the following notification when sending group chats? once I add the second participant this is what appears...

How to View iMessages on my Blackberry Passport?-img_20150422_101255.jpg

Then It enters the chat...

How to View iMessages on my Blackberry Passport?-img_20150422_100638.jpg
    04-22-15 09:15 AM
    Here's a fix - just have all of them deactivate iMessage and then their group mms will be just that.

One test you might do is to have your girl be the one to start the group conversation, to see if the iPhones will continue to use MMS if that's how the conversation is started.

I'm actually surprised Apple hasn't bought Whatsapp and just roll it into iMessage so anyone with a phone number gets added into it so messages can pass through. That would be more functional than what they have now. Probably won't happen because this "feature" of iMessage sells a lot of iPhones.
    04-22-15 09:18 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150422_100638.jpg 
Views:	785 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	348818
    Yes - this is what I think might work if she is the one that starts the conversation. I highly doubt there is an equivalent option in iMessage when composing a group message.
    04-22-15 09:20 AM

They are using imessage for their group chat not texts. Just use SMS/texts and start a new group chat. It's that simple... glad she deregistered. The link was posted above as well, but seems she already deregistered. Have her go into text messages and hit compose and add all from the group to start a group chat through texts.

This is exactly what happened to a family member going from iPhone to Z10 a while ago and I was persistent enough when she became frustrated that it was on Apple's end and this is exactly why you should stay off of them. She now went from the Z10 to Z30. So annoying.

Posted via CB10
    04-22-15 09:27 AM
    @ R1cowl -

Yes, she does get the following notification, but she turned it off becuase she got it multiple times everytime she initiated a group chat.

@ kevets -

They can't and won't all deactivate iMessage becuase they use it at home, in other areas of life, etc etc.

She's tried to be the one to start the group conversation to no avail..

I'm sorry I'm shooting all of these options down, but aside from all of her co-workers deactivating iMessage which they will not do I can't really think of anything...

Unless..

What if she switched her phone number/got a new line? Would that work becasue there would be no previous iphone user/device on the new line/number?

Let me know your thoughts and thank you again everyone
    04-22-15 09:28 AM
    @ R1cowl -

Yes, she does get the following notification, but she turned it off becuase she got it multiple times everytime she initiated a group chat.
    Yes definitely turn it off. I was just verifying that it was using the group chat feature.
    04-22-15 09:49 AM
    To be honest they would all be better of to start a group chat in what's app or BBM, I'm sure they would all have what's app, not many people who don't use it! Also they will have the same problem if any of them switch from an iphone to another phone in the future so might as well convince them to know.

Posted via CB10
    04-22-15 10:19 AM
    Yeah...but they arent' going to download addittional apps, just how they are
    04-22-15 10:37 AM
    Go to apple website and enter your number
    You'll get an sms with a security code
    Enter that on the form
    Submit

However, your friends contacts still have you as an iphone regardless of the above step. They must either open the contact and remove the iphone association (it's a slide switch) or delete the contac and re-add it.

Apple made it a pain for you AND your friends to disassociate this nonsense. For that alone Cook should resign in shame. He's carried the previous nozzle's torch.
    04-22-15 10:44 AM
    Here's a fix - just have all of them deactivate iMessage and then their group mms will be just that.

One test you might do is to have your girl be the one to start the group conversation, to see if the iPhones will continue to use MMS if that's how the conversation is started.

I'm actually surprised Apple hasn't bought Whatsapp and just roll it into iMessage so anyone with a phone number gets added into it so messages can pass through. That would be more functional than what they have now. Probably won't happen because this "feature" of iMessage sells a lot of iPhones.
    Didn't someone buy WhatsApp?
    Hint hint fb hint
    04-22-15 10:47 AM
    Given her work and that all of her coworkers use iPhones/iMessage, it looks like she should use an iPhone for work and her Passport for her personal phone.

I will add that BBM for iOS is pretty good, but the initial setup and the amount of compliance needed on their part probably makes it a non starter.
    04-22-15 11:12 AM
    @ R1cowl -

@ kevets -

They can't and won't all deactivate iMessage becuase they use it at home, in other areas of life, etc etc.

She's tried to be the one to start the group conversation to no avail..

I'm sorry I'm shooting all of these options down, but aside from all of her co-workers deactivating iMessage which they will not do I can't really think of anything...

Unless..

What if she switched her phone number/got a new line? Would that work becasue there would be no previous iphone user/device on the new line/number?

Let me know your thoughts and thank you again everyone
    Dude , I feel your pain. I had the same problems with my iPhone going to BB. I turned off iMessage before switching phones, Deregistered, changed my AppleID password, had people delete my contact info, delete old group threads, I deleted all the contacts I had out of iCloud. The best I could get was 2 group text messages to work, the other two group messages they always tried to respond with iMessage. I know one of the iMessage groups.. one of them had an iPad, and she would send iMessages from that, and would cause everyone else's iPhones to send iMessages. What a pain. It shouldn't be that hard to flip your number from iMessage back to SMS/MMS.

A new number should solve the problem, but then you get the pain of a new number.
    04-22-15 11:52 AM
    We did that, deregistered it and deleted her contact and text messages from her old messages in her co-workers phone.

She's not going to get 2 phones, she doesn't love work that much.

But thinking outside the box - will it work if she changes her phone number? Gets on a different line? That should solve it, right!? We are going to the phone store in a few hours to check it out...
    04-22-15 11:52 AM
81 1234