Google wallet is the answer. Soft card is the answer. I just wish Google or soft card would develop their applications for the BlackBerry OS. Ping me for further discussion. pin:2BDB5FDF Friday, November 14, 2014 22:36:36

Yes I'm using the passport!!! And I have a Note 4 as well. That must tell you something about how great this device is!
    The current version of Google wallet is not acceptable to most banks and shouldn't be acceptable to most users from a privacy perspective.

Softcard is more acceptable from a privacy perspective, but it is controlled by US carriers making it unlikely to really succeed internationally.

Apple has the idea that is acceptable to banks and consumers, but not great for large merchants.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    11-15-14 02:23 PM
    The current version of Google wallet is not acceptable to most banks and shouldn't be acceptable to most users from a privacy perspective.

Softcard is more acceptable from a privacy perspective, but it is controlled by US carriers making it unlikely to really succeed internationally.

Apple has the idea that is acceptable to banks and consumers, but not great for large merchants.

The last time I checked when setting up Google wallet you don't have to add your bank in order to use the application. That's an added feature. If you would like to add any major credit card to your Google wallet it's available.

Please explain how that is not a universal answer for all carrier controlled and unlocked devices? What am I missing here? If you're unable to add your bank to Google wallet than skip that functionality and add a few of your major credit cards. Simple.

Yes I'm using the passport!!! And I have a Note 4 as well. That must tell you something about how great this device is!
    11-15-14 08:25 PM
    The last time I checked when setting up Google wallet you don't have to add your bank in order to use the application. That's an added feature. If you would like to add any major credit card to your Google wallet it's available.

Please explain how that is not a universal answer for all carrier controlled and unlocked devices? What am I missing here? If you're unable to add your bank to Google wallet than skip that functionality and add a few of your major credit cards. Simple.

By bank in this case I mean your card issuer. The way Wallet works is Google creates a ghost card through which all your transactions are charged. This is a very primitive system and very poor idea for privacy and security, and it's something issuers do not want to promote. (Especially now that Apple has shown a much better alternative that works with equal security for credit and debit cards)

As it stands right now Google Wallet is used for very few transactions compared to Apple Pay, in large part because issuers don't promote or recommend it to our customers. On the other hand, issuers like us are promoting Apple Pay to users and we see transaction volumes that are very high as a result. I would hope Google will improve the system over the next couple of years.

11-15-14 08:32 PM
    Are you kidding me? Apple pay will NEVER be used by its users to the extent Google wallet is. You are purely speculating! Remember iPhone users are equated to users that want what is popular, fashionable, and hip. Very few iPhone owners use their device as a productivity tool. If you put some sort of shiny colorful case around apple pay and make it seem like NFC is something new, which apple is know and genius for doing, then you'll get apple users to "buy in". Otherwise apple pay will be a failure.

Apple pay is no more secure than Google wallet. It just depends on who's technology eyes your looking through. You seem to be an apple fan. Be honest. How many of your friends or colleagues even understand the concept or technology behind what we are talking about? I'm not trying to insult your intelligence or the intelligence of your peers. I'm just trying to get some truth out in the open. If you would like to have a private conversation about this, I would be happy to go further in detail about this. Please contact me via pin:2BDB5FDF

11-16-14 10:32 PM
    Blackberry should just partner up and use Softcard as well. They already make develop for windows and androids phones.
    11-16-14 10:33 PM
    Are you kidding me? Apple pay will NEVER be used by its users to the extent Google wallet is. You are purely speculating! Remember iPhone users are equated to users that want what is popular, fashionable, and hip. Very few iPhone owners use their device as a productivity tool. If you put some sort of shiny colorful case around apple pay and make it seem like NFC is something new, which apple is know and genius for doing, then you'll get apple users to "buy in". Otherwise apple pay will be a failure.
    I work for one of the largest issuers of credit cards in the world. We have already processed many more Apple Pay transactions than we have through Wallet since the beginning of Google Wallet. It isn't even close now. Apple Pay is being used by a broader range of customers, not just gadget geeks.

Part of it is because we are promoting it heavily, of course, to our card holders. So this is not by accident. But this is because Apple Pay is considerably more attractive to card issuers than other systems have been.

Apple pay is no more secure than Google wallet. It just depends on who's technology eyes your looking through. You seem to be an apple fan. Be honest. How many of your friends or colleagues even understand the concept or technology behind what we are talking about? I'm not trying to insult your intelligence or the intelligence of your peers. I'm just trying to get some truth out in the open. If you would like to have a private conversation about this, I would be happy to go further in detail about this. Please contact me via pin:2BDB5FDF
    !
    Most of my colleagues understand the difference between Apple Pay and Google wallet because this is our business.

Google sees every transaction that goes through Wallet. That's how the transactions are processed, through their ghost cards. Further, Google's processor has to keep your actual card number (PAN) on file. That's not how Apple Pay works at all.

If you'd like to get truth out in the open, that's what public forums are for, right? I've written quite a bit on this forum about Apple Pay and how it is different from Wallet, Softcard, etc.

chinmay007 and Hemlocke like this.
    11-16-14 10:41 PM
    I work for one of the largest issuers of credit cards in the world. We have already processed many more Apple Pay transactions than we have through Wallet since the beginning of Google Wallet. It isn't even close now. Apple Pay is being used by a broader range of customers, not just gadget geeks.

Part of it is because we are promoting it heavily, of course, to our card holders. So this is not by accident. But this is because Apple Pay is considerably more attractive to card issuers than other systems have been.

Most of my colleagues understand the difference between Apple Pay and Google wallet because this is our business.

Google sees every transaction that goes through Wallet. That's how the transactions are processed, through their ghost cards. That's not how Apple Pay works at all.

If you'd like to get truth out in the open, that's what public forums are for, right? I've written quite a bit on this forum about Apple Pay and how it is different from Wallet, Softcard, etc.

Google seeing your transaction is really not that serious a security issue. The ghost card you speak of is designed so that your real cards are safe in your physical wallet.

I'm a Apple supporter in the sense that love how Apple markets and designs it's brand. I choose not to use apple because it's a closed ecosystem. I admit apple works very well and it's product is solid. But apple pay is really nothing special. Its just popular.

Apple will bring mobile payments into a worldwide mainstream. They are the only company that has the "popularity" to do so. I just don't like when other tech enthusiasts and programmers and anyone who has a bit of minute knowledge makes it seem that Apple has made something that has been used by millions for so long seem that they have done better. Its just not so.

The world moves on what is popular, trendy, and what will make economic and social divide among classes. In the eyes of the world Apple is in the hierarchy of social and economical class. This is why Apple is always deemed to be "better". In actuality Apple is always "Late" when it comes to innovation. They take what has been done long ago, transforms it, dresses it up, and gives it back to the world as new. Quite genius if you ask me. But not necessarily better.

Apple pay is a different way of doing things. Its Apple's closed ecosystem way of doing things. Explain in depth the framework of apple pay please. If you're at liberty to do so.

11-16-14 11:05 PM
    11-16-14 11:26 PM
    Posted via CB10
    11-16-14 11:28 PM
    Google seeing your transaction is really not that serious a security issue. The ghost card you speak of is designed so that your real cards are safe in your physical wallet.
    But that's exactly the point, it doesn't keep your card safe. Your card is still on file at Google's processor. If that is hacked, your card is compromised.

In fact because of the way it is implemented, even if the ghost card is compromised we still have to reissue the original card. Both of these issues were solved with Apple Pay. Your original card stays with your bank/ issuer and you. And if you lose your phone, or if Apple is hacked, there is no reason for us to reissue your card.

You dismiss Google visibility into your transactions as no big deal, but I strongly disagree. It's an unprecedented power. Again you have the fact that you are now trusting Google and your bank to keep that info safe (twice the vulnerability you had before when it was just your bank/issuer). Further, Google sees the transaction across all your accounts that you register with them. American Express has never seen your Citi transactions. Or vice versa. Google can see both if you use both cards with their service.

As for people's perceptions of Apple, etc., the only company I am truly a fan of is the one I work for. That's the only company that actually affects my own life. The others I just observe. I've worked with enough engineers for enough years now at Google and Apple to know how great both are at most of what they do.

Obviously in this case we (and other major issuers) helped to design and implement Apple Pay, so I don't even need to trust Apple at all to know how secure it is. We know how secure it is because we influenced and ultimately deployed it (as did MC and Visa)

Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    11-17-14 06:19 AM
    [

Obviously in this case we (and other major issuers) helped to design and implement Apple Pay, so I don't even need to trust Apple at all to know how secure it is. We know how secure it is because we influenced and ultimately deployed it (as did MC and Visa)

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

MC and Visa are on Apple wagon to make money. Not because it's a secure system. You have great insight into this technology. I admire that. I may try the apple pay system to see how it works.

11-17-14 11:29 AM
    What about MasterCard's PayPass? I don't know if they need a secure SIM or not. I wonder if anyone tried the android app on 10.3. This could be a possible option.
    12-16-14 08:38 AM
    What about MasterCard's PayPass? I don't know if they need a secure SIM or not. I wonder if anyone tried the android app on 10.3. This could be a possible option.
    I've tried to download Google wallet and other native Google application on my passport. They have no problem loading but they won't work because they need to access Google services, which the BlackBerry will not allow access to. So basically that's the huge misconception with Google programs working on the BlackBerry platform. A successful load of a program does not in any way guarantee that the application will work properly. That's a whole other issue.
    BlackBerry should enter the consumer market. I own a passport and I'll be purchasing a classic as well to support this great company that I own stock in. However when it comes to everyday life it's fought to completely put down my android device. I really want to.... but there is just too much efficient productivity tools that I utilize on my Note 4. With that said I can't keep my hands of this passport and the awesome keyboard.

12-16-14 11:15 PM
    Which app do you mean? PayPass is integrated into Google Wallet and Softcard. Do you mean some other app?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    12-17-14 01:32 AM
    Blackberry has cash, why not pull an Apple and buy up a start up company. Siri was not apples invention they wish it was haha. It's clear blackberry wants to shift from consumers to corporate. Maybe it will be a paid BES12 feature in the near future.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-14 04:42 AM
    Blackberry has cash, why not pull an Apple and buy up a start up company. Siri was not apples invention they wish it was haha. It's clear blackberry wants to shift from consumers to corporate. Maybe it will be a paid BES12 feature in the near future.

Posted via CB10
    Siri has been modified so heavily after acquiring and many more features it may has well been invented by Apple.

BlackBerry - Accept no substitute. Period!
    12-17-14 07:54 AM
    Maybe I was getting confused with the MasterCard Nearby app. I forgot that MasterCard allowed Google, Apple and Sofcard use their tap to pay services. The only NFC service I found the forums that people are having success with is Tim Horton's TimmyMe app.
    12-17-14 01:50 PM
    Any news on NFC payment options on the passport or classic?

2BF2EA40 ... BBM CHANNEL "POWER OF CHOICE" C00285CE7 Passport Classic Note 4
    01-23-15 07:17 AM
    Has anyone heard of any new ways to tap and pay with the passport of the classic?

2BDB5FDF...Playbook 50304327 BBM CHANNEL "POWER OF CHOICE" C00285CE7 Passport Classic Note 4
    02-27-15 11:00 PM
    Nope, still waiting for this though

Posted via CB10
    02-27-15 11:39 PM
    Nope, still waiting for this though

Posted via CB10
    Ok. Some people in this thread make it seem that they have the functionality. They're trolls!!

Classic 2BF2EA40 ...Playbook 50304327 BBM CHANNEL "POWER OF CHOICE" C00285CE7 Passport Classic Note 4
    03-05-15 12:39 AM
    So it seems like once again it seems like we have the hardware but we're held hostage by the lack of an app?

Posted via CB10
    04-22-15 10:49 AM
    I have a Bell sim card enabled for NFC. It works perfectly for my RBC visa card but few terminals (aka bank card machine thingy) are setup to take it yet. There are a few tap enabled terminals out there but quite often it has a sticker on it "tap disabled". Plus there is usually a dollar limit around $50.

Posted via CB10
    You are lucky. I don't thing Rogers supports the passport.

Posted via CB10
    04-22-15 10:56 AM
    So... can we or can we not pay with our beautiful and secure BlackBerry Passports?
    05-13-16 11:09 AM
    So... can we or can we not pay with our beautiful and secure BlackBerry Passports?
    We absolutely cannot tap and pay with a passport. I live in New York City over in America, and it's not possible. I don't know of anyone who has done this.

2BDB5FDF...Playbook 50304327 BBM CHANNEL "POWER OF CHOICE" C00285CE7 Passport Classic Note 4
    05-24-16 11:09 AM
50 12