02-12-15 12:39 PM
134 ... 23456
tools
    Silent profile shouldn't play the shutter sound. This was added in 10.2 I think

Vibrate, no sound either

Posted via CB10
    I'm laughting so much at this rant...
    02-09-15 10:16 AM
    The problem I have with the camera notification sound on my Passport is how loud it is - maximum system loudness - and the loudness of the BEEP when swapping between still and video. Just ridiculously loud.
    I want to be able to control (not mute) that notification sound just like every other smartphone I've owned (dozens, I used to be in the business), going back to the original XDA in 2002.
    02-09-15 11:11 AM
    People desperate for a silent camera worry me.

Via CB10 from Scotland using PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2243.
    02-09-15 12:54 PM
    Even more of a non-problem now...

How to turn off this shutter sound in camera?-img_20150209_143537.png

Posted via CB10
    diegonei and JamieWilson01 like this.
    02-09-15 01:36 PM
    There are two threads on the merits and creepness of silent cameras. This has been beated to death.
    02-09-15 01:38 PM
    Even more of a non-problem now...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150209_143537.png 
Views:	372 
Size:	224.1 KB 
ID:	332714

Posted via CB10
    LOL!!

Posted via CB10
    02-09-15 01:47 PM
    This is reasonable and I could agree with. The Passport camera click is obtrusively loud compared to iPhones and Android. The Passport speakers are known to be loud in the first place. I think Blackberry should lower the sound a bit to meet halfway of complainers.

It's like when I'm taking a picture of food or my friends at a restaurant, it's ok for my friends around me to hear it but I don't want the entire restaurant to hear it or they start to think I'm taking pictures of them.

The problem I have with the camera notification sound on my Passport is how loud it is - maximum system loudness - and the loudness of the BEEP when swapping between still and video. Just ridiculously loud.
    I want to be able to control (not mute) that notification sound just like every other smartphone I've owned (dozens, I used to be in the business), going back to the original XDA in 2002.
    bodjor likes this.
    02-09-15 02:30 PM
    You people do know that you can access the quick settings menu with a two finger swipe down from the top of the screen from within the camera app and touch the bell and voila silent camera right? For those moments when you would like to be discrete when taking pics! Are people really this lazy for that to be insufficient?

Posted via CB10
    02-09-15 03:39 PM
    People desperate for a silent camera worry me.

Via CB10 from Scotland using PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2243.
    Not everyone wants to be annoyed by camera shutter sounds in an environment like an art gallery. It's sad to find how many people automatically think it's for a malicious intent.
    bodjor likes this.
    02-09-15 03:48 PM
    If they don't want to be interrupted with the sound from the camera, imagine how embarrassed they would be if a call came through at the moment you were focusing for that shot? I think BlackBerry has gotten this correct.
    DaFoxGrey likes this.
    02-09-15 04:02 PM
    Not everyone wants to be annoyed by camera shutter sounds in an environment like an art gallery. It's sad to find how many people automatically think it's for a malicious intent.
    Anytime anyone is in a sound sensitive area (gallery, class, hospital, taking a photo of a sleeping child, meeting, funeral, toilet, church, theater etc) your phone be on vibrate or silence. Common courtesy to everyone around you.

So move on people with your stupid arguments about sound sensitive areas. If you want to take a photo without being noticed mute all settings. This is such a stupid thread. We have a guy encouraging his kid to be a jerk.

Posted via CB10
    02-09-15 04:38 PM
    I find it sad that people go right to the worst, most depraved reasoning. The most sick and creepy reason for no shutter sound. That's sad.

A real creep would get a hidden camera from a spy shop which not only makes no sound but can't be seen. That's the facts. Anyone taking a picture with a huge phone isn't probably trying to get some pics for their sexual kicks.

If I'm in the backyard with a deer, I don't want the shutter sound. If I'm at public performance I don't want to annoy people around me.

I shut off my flash too. I guess you paranoid types who think everyone is a pervert are upset the flash can be turned off too. After all anyone with no flash is a sneaky creep right?

Either that or you guys just take this stupid pointless argument to defend BlackBerry at any cost. Even when there's no sense to it. Press one button to silent and no shutter sound. It can be turned off so BlackBerry isn't some crusader against perverts. All these people are asking for is one more level of customization.

I have my phone on vibrate or phone calls only most of the time so I never hear the shutter sound. I really don't care. But the people who want this option are correct. The people afraid of the boogie man are wrong.

Z30STA100-5 /10.3.1.2072 / T-Mobile USA
    02-09-15 04:59 PM
    I find it sad that people go right to the worst, most depraved reasoning. The most sick and creepy reason for no shutter sound. That's sad.

A real creep would get a hidden camera from a spy shop which not only makes no sound but can't be seen. That's the facts. Anyone taking a picture with a huge phone isn't probably trying to get some pics for their sexual kicks.

If I'm in the backyard with a deer, I don't want the shutter sound. If I'm at public performance I don't want to annoy people around me.

I shut off my flash too. I guess you paranoid types who think everyone is a pervert are upset the flash can be turned off too. After all anyone with no flash is a sneaky creep right?

Either that or you guys just take this stupid pointless argument to defend BlackBerry at any cost. Even when there's no sense to it. Press one button to silent and no shutter sound. It can be turned off so BlackBerry isn't some crusader against perverts. All these people are asking for is one more level of customization.

I have my phone on vibrate or phone calls only most of the time so I never hear the shutter sound. I really don't care. But the people who want this option are correct. The people afraid of the boogie man are wrong.

If I'm in the backyard with a deer, I don't want the shutter sound. If I'm at public performance I don't want to annoy people around me. <<< If that were me, I would not want my ringer or email alert, or bbm, or any other alert going off to disrupt the moment. What could I do to remedy that. Oh yeah, put phone on silent.

Either that or you guys just take this stupid pointless argument to defend BlackBerry at any cost. Even when there's no sense to it. Press one button to silent and no shutter sound. It can be turned off so BlackBerry isn't some crusader against perverts. All these people are asking for is one more level of customization. <<< No reason to defend BlackBerry in the least. The option is there, works well. Touch one button to put whole device in silent as so not to disturb the deer grazing, the baby sleeping, the boss ranting, the wife wifing.
    DaFoxGrey and nyallj like this.
    02-09-15 05:14 PM
    Bottom line is people are just becoming too lazy. But it could be the entitlement syndrome. I love technology, my work relies on high tech instruments. However, there is a downside to technology. I can can remember when a remote control was a big box connected to the TV by a wire and you could only get a few channels. Yes, I'm showing my age.

Posted via CB10
    02-09-15 05:26 PM
    Bottom line is people are just becoming too lazy. But it could be the entitlement syndrome. I love technology, my work relies on high tech instruments. However, there is a downside to technology. I can can remember when a remote control was a big box connected to the TV by a wire and you could only get a few channels. Yes, I'm showing my age.

Posted via CB10
    yep ...I still have a jvc vhs recorder that has a WIRED remote you had to string across the room... still works...
    02-09-15 06:16 PM
    BS. Sometimes I'm in court and need to keep the camera quiet.

Posted via CB10
    02-09-15 06:20 PM
    BS. Sometimes I'm in court and need to keep the camera quiet.

Posted via CB10
    BS. The phone rings and the judge has a new phone. Your argument is invalid.
    nyallj, thymaster and DaFoxGrey like this.
    02-09-15 06:47 PM
    Laziness doesn't come into it.
    Why should I have to swipe down, select Silent mode, swipe up, select and operate the camera BEEP video BEEP camera, swipe down, unselect silent mode, swipe up...when all I want to do is take some photos and go back to what I was doing?
    Let's use the ridiculous word again.
    It's ridiculous that camera volume isn't linked to ringtone volume/media volume.
    And this hardly makes me a pervert.
    bodjor likes this.
    02-10-15 02:52 AM
    Laziness doesn't come into it.
    Why should I have to swipe down, select Silent mode, swipe up, select and operate the camera BEEP video BEEP camera, swipe down, unselect silent mode, swipe up...when all I want to do is take some photos and go back to what I was doing?
    Let's use the ridiculous word again.
    It's ridiculous that camera volume isn't linked to ringtone volume/media volume.
    And this hardly makes me a pervert.
    Hold down the volume down button until it goes all the way down. Just like you do it on all the other phones on all the other platforms.
    That's how they are all designed.
    This is a ridiculous thread with even more ridiculous arguments and attempted justification.

Posted from my S5 Piece of sh...Passport on Valentine's Day!!!!
    02-10-15 05:19 AM
    Hey if you have the balls to post an embarrassing photo of someone then one should also have the balls to take the photo and deal with the consequences.

Posted via CB10
    Not the point of the post

My Canada My BlackBerry My Z30
    02-10-15 05:30 AM
    I see no problem with moving the phone to silent mode in order to take a picture without a shutter sound.

But it would also be nice to be able to control the sound of the shutter. It is kinda loud compared to other phones. Or maybe tie it to the sound of the notification, so the higher the notification the louder the shutter. That is how some phones work.

But not a deal breaker for me. Just a nice to have feature. And IMHO, at this stage of the OS I prefer they put their effort more on other issues than these nice to have features.

Posted via CB10
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    02-10-15 05:42 AM
    Bill HR 414 was introduced twice in the U.S. house of representatives to require mobile phones to make a shutter sound. It hasn't passed (as of now.) It is also illegal in a few countries. This is the simple reason that Blackberry, usually a conservative minded company, decided to play it safe and not allow a specific function to shut off the camera shutter sound. It was probably the right business decision IMO. As beaten to death in this thread, there ARE options, a couple very simple. I believe the Op's question has been answered.
    The thread is wandering into the moral and ethical question of taking pictures in public, a bit OT.
    DaFoxGrey likes this.
    02-10-15 08:12 AM

Well when you want to take a picture of a deer or in a musical performance... your phone should be on silent!

Also BlackBerry isn't the only phone manufacturer that uses this approach... all manufacture doesn't allow the muting of only the shutter sound.

Posted via CB10
    02-10-15 09:02 AM
    Download a silent camera app and be done with it!

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418 O2 UK
    02-10-15 11:57 AM
    There is absolutely no law in Canada or in the US that disallows turning off the shutter sound of a camera.

Posted via CB10
    Doggerz likes this.
    02-10-15 12:51 PM
134 ... 23456