There is absolutely no law in Canada or in the US that disallows turning off the shutter sound of a camera.

Posted via CB10
    What's that got to do with anything really. If you want the camera silent, chances are you also want to make sure your phone ringer does not go off. Therefore the easiest method would be to silence the phone completely. Whether it is for upskirt, photographing some dudes hairy crack, photo taking of deer, taking photos of your baby while sleeping. I am not defending BlackBerry. Personally I could really care less. Really. Just if you have a reason for the camera to be silent, you would be just as cautious regarding other notification.
    DaFoxGrey likes this.
    02-10-15 01:00 PM
    https://www.opencongress.org/bill/hr414-111/comments

There is absolutely no law in Canada or in the US that disallows turning off the shutter sound of a camera.

Posted via CB10
    02-10-15 01:08 PM
    Cowards use silent camera's to snap photo's of un suspecting people. I'd knock the iCraP out of someone snapping a pic of me or my absolutely stunning azz crack.

Posted via CB10
    marzfreerider likes this.
    02-10-15 01:51 PM

Posted via CB10
    Are you a lawyer?

Cause if you are... you'll understand that civil laws in Canada and US aren't all written, but mostly based on jurisprudence.

Basically, even if there is no law, BlackBerry or any phone makers can get sued of their camera doesn't have an audible clicking sound

Posted via CB10
    02-10-15 01:56 PM
    BS. Sometimes I'm in court and need to keep the camera quiet.

Posted via CB10
    BS indeed... cameras and recording devices aren't allowed in court... unless you mean basketball.
    02-10-15 02:06 PM

Posted via CB10
    It's not like the sound can't be turned off, you know.

Posted from my S5 Piece of sh...Passport on Valentine's Day!!!!
    02-10-15 06:53 PM
    Except it's not a law.
    Last edited by tdf2001; 02-10-15 at 10:02 PM.
    02-10-15 09:45 PM
    Are you a lawyer?

Cause if you are... you'll understand that civil laws in Canada and US aren't all written, but mostly based on jurisprudence.

Basically, even if there is no law, BlackBerry or any phone makers can get sued of their camera doesn't have an audible clicking sound

Posted via CB10
    If I a were a lawyer, I'd sue Blackberry for calling the Passport's camera a camera when it can only clearly depict inanimate subject matter. This fact makes this thread moot as any picture worthwhile taking by a camera predator will be immediately rendered blurry by the Passport's sophisticated software.
    02-10-15 10:01 PM
    This is now officially a flame war, and it has no place here.

Posted via CB10
    02-10-15 11:13 PM
    Hold down the volume down button until it goes all the way down. Just like you do it on all the other phones on all the other platforms.
    That's how they are all designed.
    This is a ridiculous thread with even more ridiculous arguments and attempted justification.

Excuse me? You get to decide what's a ridiculous thread?
    My point is that the camera "shutter"/video select volumes are maximum system volumes - way too loud - much louder than other handsets.
    And why should I be expected to set/reset the system volume to zero every time I want to use the camera?
    Real example: I mean it's not like I'm not going to receive notifications whilst spending a few hours wandering around the Eden Project (for the 7th time later this year, taking maybe a hundred photos and a few videos, off and on during the day).
    "Sorry, I missed you because I forgot to reset the volume to normal whilst spending a couple of hours taking photos."
    Or - I forgot to silence the handset and EVERY time I hear that "shutter" go (skeuomorphism at it's worst - what's wrong with a soft chime - it's 2015) I curse BB.

You don't get to decide what I believe to be a usability flaw: either offer the option to mute all camera sounds from within the app (subject to local laws), or update the OS in the next cycle to reduce the volume, or link the volume to the system/media volume.

Out.
    02-11-15 02:30 AM
    Excuse me? You get to decide what's a ridiculous thread?
    My point is that the camera "shutter"/video select volumes are maximum system volumes - way too loud - much louder than other handsets.
    And why should I be expected to set/reset the system volume to zero every time I want to use the camera?
    Real example: I mean it's not like I'm not going to receive notifications whilst spending a few hours wandering around the Eden Project (for the 7th time later this year, taking maybe a hundred photos and a few videos, off and on during the day).
    "Sorry, I missed you because I forgot to reset the volume to normal whilst spending a couple of hours taking photos."
    Or - I forgot to silence the handset and EVERY time I hear that "shutter" go (skeuomorphism at it's worst - what's wrong with a soft chime - it's 2015) I curse BB.

You don't get to decide what I believe to be a usability flaw: either offer the option to mute all camera sounds from within the app (subject to local laws), or update the OS in the next cycle to reduce the volume, or link the volume to the system/media volume.

Out.
    See what I mean about ridiculousness?

So go get another phone (underline and bold for emphasis the word phone), that has a softer shutter click (for you won't be able to silence it without muting the entire device or 3rd party hack), to pursue your photography (underline and bold again photography for emphasis and sarcasm) hobby.

For you surely bought the phone (/b /u) to take pictures only.

Why isn't this thread closed yet?

02-11-15 04:07 AM
    02-11-15 04:19 AM
    Love the disclaimer:

<snip>
    DISCLAIMER:
    Some places prohibit the usage of an app that silences the camera on devices. Be aware of local laws and use your own discretion when using this app. If this app is illegal in your country do NOT use it. S4BB Limited is NOT responsible if you use this app illegal in any way. Use this app legally and always be aware of the consequences if used incorrectly.
    </snip>

FYI. It functions when permission for:
    Connect to BBM
    Contacts
    Email and PIN Messages
    Run When Minimized
    are all set to NO as well.
    02-11-15 07:35 AM
    while it is illegal to take pictures of people without their consent, who's to say how the device owner makes use of their camera? silent or not ?blackberry is only creating an unpleasant user experience for their customers....I want control over this obnoxious annoying sound!

also, since it is necessary to take 5 pictures with the passport in order to get one good one, this horrible noise only lets people around know that you have an inferior device!! (or poor software?)

also, my canon doesnt make a sound!

ps: thanks BlackBerry for scaring off the falcon on my back porch before I could snap 5 shots, er, a decent photo.

booooooo. in this instance BlackBerry has really F'd up!
    13mp indeed.

Posted via CB750
    Doggerz likes this.
    02-11-15 10:22 AM
    while it is illegal to take pictures of people without their consent, who's to say how the device owner makes use of their camera? silent or not ?blackberry is only creating an unpleasant user experience for their customers....I want control over this obnoxious annoying sound!

also, since it is necessary to take 5 pictures with the passport in order to get one good one, this horrible noise only lets people around know that you have an inferior device!! (or poor software?)

also, my canon doesnt make a sound!

ps: thanks BlackBerry for scaring off the falcon on my back porch before I could snap 5 shots, er, a decent photo.

booooooo. in this instance BlackBerry has really F'd up!
    13mp indeed.

Posted via CB750
    Please save my faith in humanity and tell me your rant was ALL sarcasm. Please.

02-11-15 11:34 AM
    unfortunately my rant was pretty accurate.

I will add that the camera takes some of the best pictures i've ever seen from a smartphone, but you simply MUST take several 'safety' shots in order for it to find that sweet spot. i'm fairly used to that, but with the falcon incident I didnt get a second chance. any time i've ever muted all sounds in order to 'shut-up' the shutter, I ended up forgetting the phone on silent and missing alerts/calls. lame, BlackBerry, just lame.

i'm on 1154, btw....hoping for improvement by way of future updates...

Posted via CB750
    02-11-15 12:59 PM
    unfortunately my rant was pretty accurate.

I will add that the camera takes some of the best pictures i've ever seen from a smartphone, but you simply MUST take several 'safety' shots in order for it to find that sweet spot. i'm fairly used to that, but with the falcon incident I didnt get a second chance. any time i've ever muted all sounds in order to 'shut-up' the shutter, I ended up forgetting the phone on silent and missing alerts/calls. lame, BlackBerry, just lame.

i'm on 1154, btw....hoping for improvement by way of future updates...

Posted via CB750
    You have a digital Canon camera with a silent shutter by default? Or one that you had to go into the settings to silence the shutter? I think you know where I'm headed with this. Because the rest of your rant is pretty asinine.

02-11-15 01:21 PM
    no, mr. nine asses. the abilty to silence the shutter sound IS the issue here.

Posted via CB750
    02-11-15 01:39 PM
    no, mr. nine asses. the abilty to silence the shutter sound IS the issue here.

Posted via CB750
    Bla1ze provided a free reswolution. THis is getting old and quickly. Argument going round and round and round in circles. Accept the fact that currently the process using the default OS apps is to put device in silent. Use a third party app if needed, and complain to BlackBerry directly on their twitter account or beta zone. We can't change it and by the sounds of it have little respect for those that want it. We may understand the desire, but not the need.
    02-11-15 01:46 PM
    the secondary issue is the sound itself. it is horrible and LOUD.

..where would the appropriate blackberry forum be? i'm not a twit-er.
    I just assume that blackberry quietly reads these forums...it gets me through the day.

the ability to select shutter sound would mean that those who like it can keep it, btw. and I for one, install as few apps as possible...and with all the mess surrounding 'free flashlight' apps, i'm not about to install any novelty apps to provide what should be an OS functionality.

Posted via CB750
    02-11-15 01:53 PM
    How about turn off / on keypad tone in dialer? No setting to turn off
    02-11-15 02:05 PM
    pps: I found the forum on Beta Zone and added my 2 cents. not that anyone reads Beta Zone, ever.

Posted via CB750
    02-11-15 03:28 PM
    I just use the volume keys on the side and turn it all the way down.
    02-11-15 03:44 PM
    uhm...the volume key actually triggers the camera on my phone...

Posted via CB750
    02-11-15 03:49 PM
    I turned that off in settings.
    02-11-15 03:54 PM
134 ... 3456