Hello everyone. The president of our company has a new Passport and wants to migrate everything from his Q10. He did a complete backup and tried to restore it but the Passport wasn't detected on his windows 7 machine. So i upgraded Link to the latest version and it detected the passport just fine, but everytime i try to restore the backup the phone reboots!

Since the photos transferred ok and he didn't care for his 5 apps, at least he needs his 500 contacts. So, if Link is making the phone reboot i paired both phones over bluetooth and tapped on one contact and shared it via bluetooth just fine, however i don't see an option anywhere like on the old BBOS to transfer ALL contacts via bluetooth at once. Is there one for BB10? If not, how can i transfer the contacts since the phone reboots when doing a restore?

Is it worth a try to update the phone to the latest OS?
    He used the same BBID for both phones. When i go into settings->blackberry id both phones say that he isn't connected to the network, though he gets calls and whatsapp messages through wifi so i don't know what's going on.

I would just be happy with a solution to transfer the 500 contacts. I don't want to share it one by one. He doesn't have gmail or any other email account other than his ISP.

EDIT: how do i reply to my own thread on the forum? This forum is broken. It only lets me reply to other people's topics. Anyway...
    Kris: different sim card sizes on each phones so i couldn't do that
    BB-JAM: i saw something in the online manual called device switch, it isn't made by blackberry but seems free and i will try that tomorrow
    Darth: the guy doesn't have any mail accounts. Will creating one then deleting it work?
    Civil: will try that tomorrow but the menu doesn't have an option to select all. Again, this is the passport with OS 10.3. I used to do this with old BB OS 7 easily.

I don't know why in 2015 Blackberry can't sync contacts to the cloud automatically with its own bb id. On every other smartphone OS you can do this easily.

Thanks for your answers
    Last edited by fjleon; 06-10-15 at 10:50 PM. Reason: can't seem to reply my own questions
    06-10-15 05:33 PM
    Don't know if this will handle all 500 contacts however,

Reinsert SIM Card into the Q10, go to Contacts - Settings - Copy Contacts from Device to SIM Card

After that, pop SIM card back into Passport, go to Contacts - Settings - Import Contacts from SIM Card
    06-10-15 06:28 PM
    You might want to have a look a BlackBerry's Device Switch software: Device Switch - US

The Q10 uses a micro sim and the Passport uses a nano sim so that could be an issue.
    06-10-15 06:32 PM
    I did the same upgrade two weeks ago. Try syncing the Q10 contacts with an email account like Gmail or Exchange Active Sync. Then add that email account to the PP. The PP should download the contacts from the server. This worked for me.

You could also try the app Max Contact Manager, which will backup and restore all contacts to an SD card. It's $1.99 in BlackBerry world but may be well worth it.

Cheers

Posted via CB10
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    06-10-15 07:03 PM
    Bluetooth sharing. Pair your devices via Bluetooth. Open contacts - Select All and then Share Contacts - Bluetooth.

Not sure about the Q10, but on my Classic I can Select All by pressing shift and scrolling straight on through to the bottom...

If you can't select all via a Shift + Scroll, I'd probably just go to contacts and then from the menu 'Select More' and manually highlight all contacts. AFTER highlighting all contacts, select Share Contacts and then proceed to do so via bluetooth....

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by CivilDissident; 06-10-15 at 08:08 PM.
    06-10-15 07:09 PM
    There's some weird bug in this forum that sometimes doesn't let you reply your own topics, hmm, but after editing now it lets me, so i paste the whole edit to register a new message:

Kris: different sim card sizes on each phones so i couldn't do that
    BB-JAM: i saw something in the online manual called device switch, it isn't made by blackberry but seems free and i will try that tomorrow
    Darth: the guy doesn't have any mail accounts. Will creating one then deleting it work?
    Civil: will try that tomorrow but the menu doesn't have an option to select all. Again, this is the passport with OS 10.3. I used to do this with old BB OS 7 easily.

I don't know why in 2015 Blackberry can't sync contacts to the cloud automatically with its own bb id. On every other smartphone OS you can do this easily.

Thanks for your answers
    06-10-15 10:52 PM
    I think the easiest way is to open an account, like Gmail or Outlook.
    Sync your contacts and calendar to the new email account.

When I added the account, I told my phone to sync my account with the contacts and all my contacts were on my new Passport!

Post from my Passport or my Z30 or my Playbook
    06-11-15 01:10 AM
    creating one then deleting it work?
    Civil: will try that tomorrow but the menu doesn't have an option to select all. Again, this is the passport with OS 10.3.
    Thanks for your answers
    Another reason to love the track pad/toolbelt with the Classic. Brings some of the productive functionality of legacy BBOS back to BB10 like the coveted highlight scroll...

But what I'm saying is from your Q10 can't you open Contacts and then via a long press & hold on a contact it should open to the right menu options that include a 'Select More'...
    How to transfer contacts from Q10 to Passport?-img_20150611_055837_edit.png
    After picking 'Select More' you can then touch through all 500 contacts and this highlights them all. After all are highlighted press your menu button (the ... located on the bottom right corner) and then Share Contact and Bluetooth....

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by CivilDissident; 06-11-15 at 07:48 AM.
    06-11-15 05:05 AM
    I will try to see if there's a "select more" option when holding tap on a contact and report back in the evening
    06-11-15 07:10 AM
    You can use an app called "Contact X". I have used it many times. It's fairly easy and works fine. This is what you need to do:

1. Install the app on both devices from BBW.
    2. Backup your contacts to it in the first device.
    3. Transfer/copy the backup file to your other device (use email, NFC, connect your phones to PC and copy files as USB drives, or whatever method you are comfortable with).
    4. Open Contact X in your other device and read/restore that file into it.
    5. You are done. All your contacts are now in your new device.

There is also another app called "Backup Pro" that can do the same thing, but I have not tried it myself. Many say it's a good app too.
    jhanks64 likes this.
    06-11-15 07:23 AM
    I have given up. Never before i have experienced as many bugs starting with a mobile platform.

The phone reboots when attempting a restore from Link, so this is what i tried:

So i installed "device switch" and started transferring the data. I get to a screen "updating contacts 1 of 519". I left it over an hour and only transferred 5 contacts. Wifi was working fine and browsing was fast so it wasn't an internet issue.

I saw that the same program had an option "backup to sd" so i did that on the Q10 and then installed on the passport, which detected the backup and started restoring from it, but same issue, really slow speed. Also, when removing the sd card from the q10 and removing the plastic cover on the passport so i could insert the card, the plastic cover is so light and thin that it broke around the headphone.

I was able to select more than one contact as reported, but when tapping "share" i would get a small window "sharing contacts" and then exited without doing anything. The phones were already paired. Sharing just one contact at a time works.

The only contacts i was able to transfer were the BBM ones which was less than 10% of his contacts.

I don't know why it's so difficult to do something so simple. On other platforms, you just login with goggle/microsoft/apple account and you are done. When using your bbid it should be the same but it doesn't work.

I was told blackberry protect would also do this, and i remember using it from my BB7 days, but first i find out it isn't available on app world, but then i saw an option inside settings. I tried to restore from there and the passport said there isn't any backup, so i went inside the Q10 and didn't see any option to start a backup, it only said to visit protect.blackberry.com

Also, UI wise, it isn't intuitive to have to swipe down to find hidden settings options in programs.

I could have probably created a new gmail account just for syncing and then removing it, but i was confident device switch would be enough.
    06-11-15 12:40 PM
    I was told blackberry protect would also do this, and i remember using it from my BB7 days, but first i find out it isn't available on app world, but then i saw an option inside settings. I tried to restore from there and the passport said there isn't any backup, so i went inside the Q10 and didn't see any option to start a backup, it only said to visit protect.blackberry.com
    The ability to backup and restore via BlackBerry Protect, was in fact, killed with BB10's debut. That duty assigned to Link... When I moved from 9900 to Q10 I quickly discovered this, but bluetooth transferred worked. When I reverted back to my 9900 after not liking the Q10 I was reminded of the annoyance, but again I had no issue transferring via bluetooth, same thing when I left the 9900 and migrated to the Classic (but this time I kept my data on my 9900 and ultimately have it as my secondary...) While I don't have 500 contacts, even with BB10 this is not an issue I've encountered... I'd be pissed too... You put way too much work into something that should be instantaneous...

Posted via CB10
    06-11-15 04:25 PM
    well the saga has concluded. he took it to a shop and they updated the firmware and were able to transfer everything. My theory is that when the phone was wiped / updated link worked without rebooting the phone.

i wanted to update the firmware myself but we had internet issues since yesterday
    CivilDissident likes this.
    06-11-15 05:26 PM
    well the saga has concluded. he took it to a shop and they updated the firmware and were able to transfer everything. My theory is that when the phone was wiped / updated link worked without rebooting the phone.

i wanted to update the firmware myself but we had internet issues since yesterday
    So the OS had an issue on his device. A wipe fixed it. But I agree, Link is horrible horrible software.

But really, you should have just created a Gmail and synced to that.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-15 06:19 PM
    I'm curious why someone would use a BlackBerry without email. Most people have an email account & contacts go along with it.

I'm glad an OS update fixed it, should always do that first. Otherwise, you really should get those contacts syncing with an online account of some sort for future syncing.

Contact X would have been a simple solution too.

Posted Via CB10 on my BlackBerry Passport
    06-11-15 08:44 PM