I apologize for the long-winded comment.

I had to buy a new Linux laptop. I have never used Apple devices and gave up on Windows about 10 years ago. After looking around for the lightest, highest resolution screen laptop, I decided to get the new MacBook 12 inch.
    The Linux community is still working on figuring out the new Mac trackpad. So, at the moment, dual-booting in Linux is not possible and am forced to use IoS.
    This is almost OK-ish in terminal mode as a Unix device and I can ssh nicely to my office workstation, also running linux.
    However, I have noticed several Apple processes running that I cannot kill.
    Most worrisome is one that has "cloud" in its name!

I have not created any Apple accounts. I do not plan to.
    I have denied Apple any updates of the apps and OS.

I am not very sure about how secure my files are from prying Apple eyes.

Anyway, Blend seems to work very nicely on a wi-fi network with the Passport even when the MAC and Passport are in different buildings.
    I can see files on the passport from the MAC and transfer files from the MAC to the Passport. Both the Mac and the Passport are encrypted.
    I cannot see the files on the Mac from my Passport (unless I decrypt the Mac) but I can see the encrypted files on the Passport from the Mac.
    Can Apple also see them?
    08-07-15 02:52 PM
    Does Apple want to see them?

The connection between your Passport and the BLEND app on your computer is encrypted (not sure how encrypted). So yeah it would come down to if Apple has remote access to your computer... which I haven't really heard of that being a huge concern.
    08-07-15 03:04 PM
    Why would it not be a concern?
    This is the reason I stopped using Windows 10 years ago.
    I did not want Microsoft snooping on my computer, nor do I want Apple for that matter.
    I do not want Apple to store my files, pictures, etc. In their cloud.
    One more opportunity for data breach. Even if apple is not interested in them, hackers may and they are far more interested in hacking apple and its cloud than my device.
    That's why I use Linux and BlackBerry. The least common the device and OS, the smaller the chance of being hacked.
    08-07-15 05:52 PM
    I have a Mac and I don't store anything in iCloud.

Posted via CB10
    08-07-15 06:40 PM
    And how could you have stopped using ''Windows 10 years ago'' when Windows 10 just came out last month.

Posted via CB10
    08-07-15 06:41 PM
    And how could you have stopped using ''Windows 10 years ago'' when Windows 10 just came out last month.

Posted via CB10
    He stopped using Windows 'ten years ago' I think
    unless apple has remote access to your laptop I can't imagine that you would worry about security. Blend is as secure as your network, basically.
    08-07-15 07:19 PM
    He stopped using Windows 'ten years ago' I think
    unless apple has remote access to your laptop I can't imagine that you would worry about security. Blend is as secure as your network, basically.
    I had to read it a second time and figured it out :-)
    I guess. I have been dealing with Windows 10 too much lately.

Posted via CB10
    08-07-15 09:19 PM

Posted via CB10
    I meant Windows. Indeed, the "10" stands for ten years ago. Funny coincidence!
    Thanks for the answers everybody.
    I do not use any cloud. At least not with my permission...
    I already mentioned I do not have an Apple account, therefore no I-cloud, either.
    I certainly have not given Apple remote access, but that does not mean that they don't have it!
    Last edited by sorinv; 08-07-15 at 10:00 PM.
    08-07-15 09:39 PM