Always done internet banking with Apple.
    10-31-17 09:13 AM
    Depends on many variable factors that are constantly being changed. New exploits come out everyday and BB10 is not being aggressively supported like IOS. Even Android, with or without BlackBerry hardening may have surpassed BB10.
    BoHo Ed likes this.
    10-31-17 09:17 AM
    Thanks for that. Need to get away from I-phone addiction!!
    rarsen likes this.
    10-31-17 09:25 AM
    Also keep in mind that good banking apps use better security techniques than what we can get in the browser.

I would recommend the latest apps on Android or iOS. And stay current.
    10-31-17 09:39 AM
    Nobody really knows the answer to that question. The OS is old, most of the banking apps (if not all) do not work anymore and the native browser is old as well. Having said that, I am still using my Passport to do banking. I use android apps for 2 banks that I do business with and they work well (so far). I am not using the mobile websites. The only limitations for the android apps is no picture cheque deposit. I never receive any cheques anyway (it's all direct deposit for me), so that is not a concern for me but ymmv. So far, so good
    Qorax likes this.
    10-31-17 09:45 AM
    If your bank still supports BB10, I'd assume it's secure but possibly not if you're sideloading random apk's you found online. What version of iOS is your Apple device on?

Even Android, with or without BlackBerry hardening may have surpassed BB10.
    According to BlackBerry, it hasn't.

https://forums.crackberry.com/genera...-knox-1116959/
    Qorax likes this.
    10-31-17 10:02 AM
    I'd assume it's secure but possibly not if you're sideloading random apk's you found online.
    No need for "random". I'm using TD Canada bank app from Google Play. It's working well, for now.
    Qorax likes this.
    10-31-17 10:22 AM
    I use the mobile Web browser for banking needs. Do not trust apps.

Posted via CB10
    Qorax likes this.
    10-31-17 11:39 AM
    All banking apps such as chase, citibank and bank of america are no longer supported. The browser still works though.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-17 01:16 PM
    I use the mobile Web browser for banking needs. Do not trust apps.
    But, with all due respect, that is the opposite of reality. We (banks), at least the good ones, have better protection and security in the apps than in the websites. That’s why, for example, you see higher allowed transaction limits in the apps.

The reason is the browsers give us very limited options for what we want to do to secure transactions, combat fraud, etc.
    10-31-17 01:23 PM
    But, with all due respect, that is the opposite of reality. We (banks), at least the good ones, have better protection and security in the apps than in the websites. That’s why, for example, you see higher allowed transaction limits in the apps.

The reason is the browsers give us very limited options for what we want to do to secure transactions, combat fraud, etc.
    This is correct as we (institutions) control the App and it's server end settings. We don't control the browser. We can only block functions in the browser when it doesn't contain specific minimum protocols.
    10-31-17 01:37 PM
    This is correct as we (institutions) control the App and it's server end settings. We don't control the browser. We can only block functions in the browser when it doesn't contain specific minimum protocols.
    To assume that the Bank Controls the App is to give a false sense of security, the Security reliance should primarily lie at the Server end. Don't assume an app cant be tampered or mimicked to the truly ambitious hacker group....Web browser implementations recognize this aspect, or at least should.
    (Not to say that the App can't be a cleaner interface to program though from certain developers points of view)
    11-01-17 02:17 PM
    To assume that the Bank Controls the App is to give a false sense of security, the Security reliance should primarily lie at the Server end. Don't assume an app cant be tampered or mimicked to the truly ambitious hacker group....Web browser implementations recognize this aspect, or at least should.
    (Not to say that the App can't be a cleaner interface to program though from certain developers points of view)
    What?

The browser gives us much less control over this issue. With the apps we implement our own protocols, we’re not limited to just https. We have access to the secure element on device. We have environmental inputs which are very helpful in combatting fraud. We can choose whatever encryption we like, we’re not limited by what web browsers can support or what reasonably run in Javascript (without draining our customer’s battery)
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    11-01-17 02:59 PM
    Best to be safe put it under the mattress and your 1911 at your side
    11-02-17 08:45 AM
    Best to be safe put it under the mattress and your 1911 at your side
    ....... And your Passport in your breast pocket if you're not wearing a full vest already.....
    11-02-17 08:51 AM
    ....... And your Passport in your breast pocket if you're not wearing a full vest already.....
    Well since I dont have my Passport anymore it will be my Key One Black edition, you know they just look scary because its black like my 1911 and AR-15, AR-10
    11-02-17 08:53 AM
    Well since I dont have my Passport anymore it will be my Key One Black edition, you know they just look scary because its black like my 1911 and AR-15, AR-10
    You talk a lot about your guns. Compensating for...?

Posted with my trusty Z10
    CrackNutRun likes this.
    11-02-17 08:58 AM
    No I just like them and whats in my pants is very nice indeed, lol
    11-02-17 09:06 AM
    You talk a lot about your guns. Compensating for...?

Texn884 just wants to make sure we don't go attempting to borrow his K1 BE without permission... LOL
    11-02-17 09:07 AM
    I would be comfortable with any supported app or the Web browser with https. But I wouldn't do anything "special" that might reduce your security, such as installing security certs or ignoring them.

Finally, I'd never take ANY banking action based on an email link, ever.

11-02-17 09:13 AM
    What?

The browser gives us much less control over this issue. With the apps we implement our own protocols, we’re not limited to just https. We have access to the secure element on device. We have environmental inputs which are very helpful in combatting fraud. We can choose whatever encryption we like, we’re not limited by what web browsers can support or what reasonably run in Javascript (without draining our customer’s battery)
    I feel safer when you comply to open standards instead of 'taking control' and doing whatever you want. A lot of companies put profit before integrity.
    11-02-17 10:33 AM
    I feel safer when you comply to open standards instead of 'taking control' and doing whatever you want. A lot of companies put profit before integrity.
    How does this compromise integrity? The web standards are, by necessity, lowest common denominator.

We have a customer (our own customer) on a device who wants to talk to us and make banking transactions. Why would we limit the scope of those interactions to web standards, when we have this whole breadth of capabilities that we can use to make that interaction so much safer.

This is why we limit max transaction amounts for the web at lower levels than in the apps.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 11-02-17 at 11:34 AM.
    11-02-17 10:41 AM
    Well, we're not really talking about general "companies" here. We're talking about banks. Their security has to be top-notch.
    11-02-17 11:22 AM