My wife had the unfortunate pleasure of throwing her passport together with other items for a full cycle of laundry. It is placed for the time being in a bowl of rice, but I seriously doubt it it will ever show any signs if life again. With this in mind, is there any way to recover any data, pics, contacts and so on, if that phone is dead?

The good aspect is that she has a black K1 waiting and the transfer was supposed to be done tonight, though she beat me to it. I am sure that she will enjoy her new phone, but we hate to start with all the contacts from scratch. Any suggestions?

Posted with my awesome Z30
    12-04-17 02:18 PM
    Unless you had your contacts saved on the cloud somewhere I doubt you will be able to get them back if the phone is lifeless. I use Google to keep my contacts synced I'm sure there are other services that do the same. Did you have an sd card in the phone? Maybe if your lucky it still works.
    nolimits7 likes this.
    12-04-17 02:25 PM
    Leave it at least 3 days in rice before turning it back on for even a remote chance of salvage.

Otherwise, without an SD card, cloud syncing, or a recent backup, the data is toast.
    nolimits7 likes this.
    12-04-17 02:57 PM
    OP, your wife is a VP material for motorola years ago - the chap demanded laundry proof handset and I believe wasted some R&D money and cost of few talents look other places... Agree with Conite - leave it in a bag of rice for more than 3 days...(I would say 7 days). it might still have hope. at least I know one ipod survived full laundry cycle with memory still ok (display dead). the PP might not lid up, keyboard might not work, at least you can try use link or blend to see if you can access the memory. (hopefully, your laungdry detergent is not very agressive type). best of luck.
    nolimits7 likes this.
    12-04-17 07:03 PM
    Thank you guys for the suggestions. For now the phone is in a bag of rice and it will remain there for at least a week. I will try to power it up after that time and see what happens. Will report here if I get lucky in any way. Also, most of the contacts were saved on the sd card, so this is a bonus. Now, we would like to recover any pics and chats history.
    12-04-17 11:20 PM
    You really need to exclude water and residue in order to ensure the device survives. Rice draws some water out, but leaves the residue and won't really get the water out of everywhere.

If you are feeling brave, take the device apart, disconnect every single connection, lay the parts out, and spray the whole lot with circuit cleaner or similar. Or take it to one of those corner shops that fixes phones (who will do the same thing or similar)

Posted via CB10
    nolimits7 likes this.
    12-05-17 05:26 PM
    You really need to exclude water and residue in order to ensure the device survives. Rice draws some water out, but leaves the residue and won't really get the water out of everywhere.

If you are feeling brave, take the device apart, disconnect every single connection, lay the parts out, and spray the whole lot with circuit cleaner or similar. Or take it to one of those corner shops that fixes phones (who will do the same thing or similar)

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for that. For now as I said earlier this phone will remain in rice for a week, then I might even try to open it and clean it some more. If it works, that's obviously fine, if it does not, I don't think I will lose sleep over it. For now very curious if it can be woken up from that washing incident.
    12-06-17 10:34 AM
    if it doesn't wake up...last option is :

bga emmc station.
    12-06-17 03:54 PM
    My Priv and 9810 survived a bath drop and a #2 drop respectively. Kept them in rice for 2 weeks. Than both powered up. The 9810 lived another 2 years. 2 Priv is still alive, think only speaker is a bit damaged.

So wish you luck!

Posted via CB10
    12-07-17 11:00 AM
    Submerged my red passport in powerade couple years ago.
    Let it dry out and it showed enough signs of life that I was able to get a backup out of it. The sugar from the drink killed the battery and screen.

Posted via CB10
    12-08-17 12:29 AM
    msjority of energy drinks are really bad if got spilled over on your phone (electrolyte rich)...
    12-08-17 06:26 AM
    It is really unfortunate, but after 2 weeks in rice, the cleanest BB Passport completely refused to wake up. I wonder if I should keep it as a memento or offer it to someone for parts or something.
    12-17-17 08:46 PM
    Sorry to hear luck wasn't smiling upon you in this case.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-17 05:48 AM
    Maybe keep and use it for the announced part exchange for a new bb K1 or motion!

Posted via CB10
    12-18-17 03:36 PM