Yeah, I'm disappointed about the Word sub issue too. I really wanted it to work with the 3 row kb...but I'm adaptable, because I want the Passport. But dang it, they should just make the macro work. I'd even pay for it! lol

I think kb shortcuts are coming in the new 10.3.1 update, hopefully by November. Looking foward to it.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-14 03:30 AM
    Yep, your photo shows up now. Probably just the cb app, but I don't have access to my laptop to see.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-14 03:31 AM
    Fixed my post, a part of it didn't make sense. lol

Posted via CB10
    Makes perfect sense. I tried to implement my own comma substitution when I first received my Passport (funny enough), but I met a brick wall when I had no idea how to remedy the space in-between words and punctuation. I see now that there is supposed to be a macro to work it.

Could definitely make the Passport more efficient if this works in the future.

Posted via CB10
    SharonRD likes this.
    10-12-14 09:05 AM
    Sharon, I think you may ne misunderstanding how the Passport works. I still have all the default word substitutions on my Passport. The right bracket one still doesn't delete the leading space but works otherwise. There are the letters r b typed three times, space in between. ) ) ). The b r works as well ( .

In addition, the fourth row of keys is always up in a text entry field and there is no way to close them. Not sure if you thought it could be done and would do it and use your macros instead.

How to press alt?-img_20141011_202131.png

Posted via CB10
    10-12-14 09:14 AM
    Hey, rob. It seems some PP users have the %b sub/macro shown as one of the default examples in Word Substitution, but others don't. That's interesting. Regardless, I'd still be happy if the simple macro worked in word sub, so I could mainly use the physical keyboard.

Yes, I understand the 4th virtual keyboard stays up while in text entry fields, with no way to close it. I have no issue with the virtual kb taking up screenspace, I'm just a die-hard pkb lover (with eyes on the kb, instead of the screen while typing), but want the larger beautiful display of the Passport. Want my cake, and be able to eat it too! lol To do that, I need me macros.
    nah.uhh likes this.
    10-12-14 01:39 PM
    Oh, and I forgot to add a couple things:

Andy, apologies for derailing your thread into something more complicated than was intended! Also, Happy Thanksgiving weekend to all my fellow Canucks!
    Last edited by SharonRD; 10-12-14 at 01:58 PM. Reason: typo
    10-12-14 01:58 PM
    Oh, and I forgot to add a couple things:

Andy, apologies for derailing your thread into something more complicated than was intended! Also, Happy Thanksgiving weekend to all my fellow Canucks!
    It's really OK. I learned a few things too. :-D
    SharonRD likes this.
    10-12-14 02:10 PM
    Glad to hear that! For me, it's all about keeping my mind open (and mouth closed unless it's necessary) and learning something new everyday, which is why I've been haunting (or stalking, lol) the PP forum, to learn all I can about the Passport before it arrives from ShopBB...hopefully soon.
    10-13-14 12:49 PM
    Glad to hear that! For me, it's all about keeping my mind open (and mouth closed unless it's necessary) and learning something new everyday, which is why I've been haunting (or stalking, lol) the PP forum, to learn all I can about the Passport before it arrives from ShopBB...hopefully soon.
    Yes it's true! That's really a wise thing to say! :-D I wish you a quick delivery of your Passport!
    SharonRD likes this.
    10-13-14 01:23 PM
    @Andy/@Sharon...
    I won't talk about the key shortcut "Alt+t" for example for the Crackberry App, it does not work on the PP.
    But I noticed that "Swipe down" on the keyboard followed by the letter, replaces Alt+letter in the editing part (word/mail/sms/replying ...

For example:
    [alt]+"t" writes "("
    So swipe down then "t" is the same!

On my Q10, [sym]+"t" writes "["
    On the Passport: swipe down 2 times then hit "t" writes the symbol "{" (another lay out)

So swipe down 1x replaces [alt]
    And swipe down 2x replaces [sym]

Screenshots:

Attachment 305726
    (mapping 1 swipe=alt)

Attachment 305727
    (mapping 2 swipes=sym)

BlackBerry|Q10, SQN100-3, OS 10.2.1.2941; BlackBerry|Passport, SQW100-1, OS 10.3.0.675
    SharonRD and MrGlenn like this.
    10-13-14 01:32 PM
    Arrrghh, I can't see screenshots! lol They're not showing for me, I'm on Dell laptop, so should be able to see all graphics. Thanks for explaining that, it sounds like with a little muscle memory, that would become a quick way for straight pkb typing. Wish I could play with one and see first-hand...
    10-13-14 01:46 PM
    @Andy/@Sharon...
    I won't talk about the key shortcut "Alt+t" for example for the Crackberry App, it does not work on the PP.
    But I noticed that "Swipe down" on the keyboard followed by the letter, replaces Alt+letter in the editing part (word/mail/sms/replying ...

For example:
    [alt]+"t" writes "("
    So swipe down then "t" is the same!

On my Q10, [sym]+"t" writes "["
    On the Passport: swipe down 2 times then hit "t" writes the symbol "{" (another lay out)

So swipe down 1x replaces [alt]
    And swipe down 2x replaces [sym]

Screenshots:

Attachment 305726
    (mapping 1 swipe=alt)

Attachment 305727
    (mapping 2 swipes=sym)

BlackBerry|Q10, SQN100-3, OS 10.2.1.2941; BlackBerry|Passport, SQW100-1, OS 10.3.0.675
    Yes that's true. But I haven't been able to use it to full potential. I still have to search which keys were mapped to which characters. Maybe in the long run we would be able to type faster. :-D Let's hope so.
    10-13-14 03:55 PM
    Yes that's true. But I haven't been able to use it to full potential. I still have to search which keys were mapped to which characters. Maybe in the long run we would be able to type faster. :-D Let's hope so.
    This is why people were confused as to why BlackBerry didn't label the alternate keys on the keyboard..
    Sounds like the swipe would be great.. if you didn't have to map/remember the keyboard alternate key positions or look in 2 places to know which key to press
    10-13-14 04:19 PM
    I think they didn't label the keys because for every language setting the symbol mapping is slightly different. They would have had to make way more localised versions of the device if they wanted to label every symbol correctly.

And since two swipes down (up to four for some languages) shows different symbols it would be even more confusing.

BlackBerry Passport signed @ C0007CC89
    10-13-14 04:49 PM
    This is why people were confused as to why BlackBerry didn't label the alternate keys on the keyboard..
    Sounds like the swipe would be great.. if you didn't have to map/remember the keyboard alternate key positions or look in 2 places to know which key to press
    Yes. That is actually a really good idea. I haven't thought it that way. You should work for BlackBerry. Lol.
    nah.uhh likes this.
    10-13-14 05:11 PM
    Hey, cheers for an interesting thread. Those shortcuts for the passport don't work and if you program them in yourself there is definitely a space. What I can say is using the virtual keyboard is definitely quicker for the ',':!?' symbols than it is on the old devices. For the brackets swiping down then hitting 'T' for ( and swiping down and hitting 'Y' for ) is probably about the same speed or faster (it's one gesture and a click instead of 3 button clicks). Takes some getting used to though. Am on day 9 of my passport and getting a lot faster but it wasn't easy for the first few days. I sort of wish they had symbols on the hardware keyboard as well but I see what they are doing. You can mix symbols, letters and numbers simultaneously the way they have done it.
    03-13-15 04:58 PM
    I find it pretty annoying trying to use assistant/search if the search term begins with a number

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2480 | any questions? Feel free to shoot me a msg @ http://www.pin.bbm.com/C003EA0BE
    03-14-15 09:34 PM
42 12