I don't know how to press alt at the physical keyboard. Can anyone explain?

See the overflow menu? It said that I can use the alt to browse the menu, but I have no idea how to use it.
    How to press alt?-img_20141011_231136.png
    10-11-14 04:15 PM
    It's impossible on the Passport. The app is detecting the Passport as a BlackBerry device with a keyboard, but it does not know that the keyboard does not have an ALT key. I am hoping that BlackBerry will add the ability to pull up the virtual row on demand, maybe via a two finger upwards swipe on the keyboard, so we can use ALT and SHIFT, as well as other keys, on demand.

Posted via CB10
    ThunderShock2005 likes this.
    10-11-14 04:38 PM
    It's impossible on the Passport. The app is detecting the Passport as a BlackBerry device with a keyboard, but it does not know that the keyboard does not have an ALT key. I am hoping that BlackBerry will add the ability to pull up the virtual row on demand, maybe via a two finger upwards swipe on the keyboard, so we can use ALT and SHIFT, as well as other keys, on demand.

Posted via CB10
    Or just included those two essential ones on the physical keys..
    SharonRD and Taigatrommel like this.
    10-11-14 04:51 PM
    Or just included those two essential ones on the physical keys..
    That, unfortunately is too late. Lol. So it's a mistake in the app. Maybe it's intended for the Classic.
    10-11-14 05:08 PM
    I don't know how to press alt at the physical keyboard. Can anyone explain?

See the overflow menu? It said that I can use the alt to browse the menu, but I have no idea how to use it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141011_231136.png 
Views:	3909 
Size:	132.4 KB 
ID:	305207
    Not sure why you they coded the CrackBerry app that way, as they could have just used the shotcuts like the OS uses. For example instead of alt-r just pressing the L key for reload like in the web browser.

Are there any other apps that code alt key sequences?

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 05:28 PM
    Not sure why you they coded the CrackBerry app that way, as they could have just used the shotcuts like the OS uses. For example instead of alt-r just pressing the L key for reload like in the web browser.

Are there any other apps that code alt key sequences?

Posted via CB10
    CB10 has issues. Stupid alt+shortcuts for one.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 05:30 PM
    For the much used punctuation that you need the alt-key for, such as the comma, exclamation point, question mark, apostrophe, quotes, etc, I'd planned on using Word Substitution for them on the Passport. Thus, my thread, which nobody is sure of yet, I guess. I don't use Prediction or Auto-Correct, but use Word Subs extensively, which I have well over a hundred, so far. Wish I could back them up.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...macros-966995/
    10-11-14 05:46 PM
    For the much used punctuation that you need the alt-key for, such as the comma, exclamation point, question mark, apostrophe, quotes, etc, I'd planned on using Word Substitution for them on the Passport. Thus, my thread, which nobody is sure of yet, I guess. I don't use Prediction or Auto-Correct, but use Word Subs extensively, which I have well over a hundred, so far. Wish I could back them up.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...macros-966995/
    Most of those keys come up as the fouth row of keys when typing. Word substitution works as well. I've seen it in action, such as the I've I just typed. Notice on the screen cap it is a word in green, which means it will substitute it with what I typed when I hit the space bar.

How to press alt?-img_20141011_195447.png

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 05:57 PM
    Yes, that's with "Show Predictions" and "Auto-Correct with Space bar", which I don't use. I straight type, but use Word Sub with it. I'll have no need for the 4th row keys you'd find on the traditional, when using Word Sub, except for the lesser used "Sym" key symbols and Shift key. All I need is for the 'backspace macro bug' to be fixed, in order to make Word Sub work with the punctuations properly.
    Last edited by SharonRD; 10-11-14 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Forgot info, added it.
    10-11-14 06:05 PM
    Yes, that's with "Show Predictions" and "Auto-Correct with Space bar", which I don't use. I straight type, but use Word Sub with it. I'll have no need for the 4th row keys you'd find on the traditional, when using Word Sub, except for the lesser used "Sym" key symbols and Shift key. All I need is for the 'backspace macro bug' to be fixed, in order to make Word Sub work with the punctuations properly.
    What's the backspace macro bug? I wish BlackBerry could associate system settings, including word subs and predictions, with you BBID.

So you're using the Passport and preferring it to a 4-row when you implement subs?

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 10:29 PM
    It's more that CB10 hasn't been updated with proper Passport support at this point. If it were, the shortcuts would be different and we'd be able to scroll with the keyboard.

JB

Posted internationally thanks to my Passport
    10-11-14 10:31 PM
    It's more that CB10 hasn't been updated with proper Passport support at this point. If it were, the shortcuts would be different and we'd be able to scroll with the keyboard.

JB

No need for alt based shortcuts on the other keyboard phones either, really.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 10:57 PM
    What's the backspace macro bug? I wish BlackBerry could associate system settings, including word subs and predictions, with you BBID.

So you're using the Passport and preferring it to a 4-row when you implement subs?

Posted via CB10
    Hey, DC. I don't have the Passport yet, but planned on using Word Subs, instead of the virtual kb, ie: if I type "cc"(where my word sub is: cc=comma, in Word Sub it'd be %b,) it would type a comma and then backspace. This would be much faster than virtual kb (for me).

Personally, I'd prefer 4 kb rows, but also want the screen space...so whaddya do? And I totally agree, Word Sub and Predictions should be tied to BBID!

The "backspace macro bug" is best described in this thread, an excerpt for quick understanding from that thread below it:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...n-bb10-846689/

"...%b is supposed to act as a backspace prompt to remove the preceding character in word substitutions. For example, one of the default options is rb > %b) which means that if you type "rb" as a new word with a space in front of it, then press the spacebar to autocorrect, the preceding space should be erased and the "rb" replaced with a right bracket ")". The way it is now, that extra space doesn't get erased, so you end up with a space where there isn't supposed to be one, like this: "(qwerty )" instead of this: "(qwerty)".

This macro is useful for providing quick shortcuts to symbols by using the letter key the symbol is on without having to use the Alt key (on the Q10, ie b > %b! or v > %b?), but it doesn't work, and it only frustrated me more to discover that it doesn't work on 10.2 either! "

Edited: fixed mistakes

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by SharonRD; 10-11-14 at 11:56 PM.
    10-11-14 11:09 PM
    No need for alt based shortcuts on the other keyboard phones either, really.

Posted via CB10
    Fair enough, but at the same time, at least the shortcuts are possible on those phones.

JB

10-11-14 11:54 PM
    Fixed my post, a part of it didn't make sense. lol

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 11:57 PM
    Hey, DC. I don't have the Passport yet, but planned on using Word Subs, instead of the virtual kb, ie: if I type "cc"(where my word sub is: cc=comma, in Word Sub it'd be %b,) it would type a comma and then backspace. This would be much faster than virtual kb (for me).

Personally, I'd prefer 4 kb rows, but also want the screen space...so whaddya do? And I totally agree, Word Sub and Predictions should be tied to BBID!

The "backspace macro bug" is best described in this thread, an excerpt for quick understanding from that thread below it:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...n-bb10-846689/

"...%b is supposed to act as a backspace prompt to remove the preceding character in word substitutions. For example, one of the default options is rb > %b) which means that if you type "rb" as a new word with a space in front of it, then press the spacebar to autocorrect, the preceding space should be erased and the "rb" replaced with a right bracket ")". The way it is now, that extra space doesn't get erased, so you end up with a space where there isn't supposed to be one, like this: "(qwerty )" instead of this: "(qwerty)".

This macro is useful for providing quick shortcuts to symbols by using the letter key the symbol is on without having to use the Alt key (on the Q10, ie b > %b! or v > %b?), but it doesn't work, and it only frustrated me more to discover that it doesn't work on 10.2 either! "

Edited: fixed mistakes

Posted via CB10
    That's for hardcore power user. Lol.
    10-12-14 01:52 AM
    Sharon, those %b word subs don't even show up on my Passport at all by default, are you sure they are still meant to work that way?

BlackBerry Passport signed @ C0007CC89
    10-12-14 02:04 AM
    To be honest, I haven't a clue whether it's still meant to work that way with the Passport. That's why I'm checking with new PP users, as well as 10.3 and 10.3.1 leak users. I'm still waiting for my PP to ship, so I can get my mitts on it and check things out for myself. lol

In the screenshot you can see one of the default %b macros in Word Substitution already on my Q10, created there by the OS. Does that one not show in the PP Word Sub examples?
    How to press alt?-img_20141012_001401.png

Posted via CB10
    10-12-14 02:23 AM
    To be honest, I haven't a clue whether it's still meant to work that way with the Passport. That's why I'm checking with new PP users, as well as 10.3 and 10.3.1 leak users. I'm still waiting for my PP to ship, so I can get my mitts on it and check things out for myself. lol

In the screenshot you can see one of the default %b macros in Word Substitution already on my Q10, created there by the OS. Does that one not show in the PP Word Sub examples?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141012_001401.png 
Views:	560 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	305335

Posted via CB10
    I only got these.

How to press alt?-img_20141012_092814.png
    10-12-14 02:30 AM
    Yeah I know I have used them on my Q but on the Passport (no device restore or backup) only stuff like %D for date and %T show for date and time. When I manually enter %b) it does work, but it does not remove the space.

10-12-14 02:57 AM
    Bookmarking for reference. Thanks for the tips.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk
    10-12-14 02:59 AM
    Yeah I know I have used them on my Q but on the Passport (no device restore or backup) only stuff like %D for date and %T show for date and time. When I manually enter %b) it does work, but it does not remove the space.

So they've even removed the "%b" example in the Word Sub list on the Passports with 10.3. That doesn't sound promising for the 'backspace' macro. Dang.

That's really too bad, as it's a great useful macro, which makes it easy to type frequently used punctuation (and other symbols) without the need of the kb alt-key. Sighhh...

Posted via CB10
    10-12-14 03:13 AM
    Andy, for some reason I can't view your pics. (I'm on the CB app)

Posted via CB10
    10-12-14 03:14 AM
    So they've even removed the "%b" example in the Word Sub list on the Passports with 10.3. That doesn't sound promising for the 'backspace' macro. Dang.

That's really too bad, as it's a great useful macro, which makes it easy to type frequently used punctuation (and other symbols) without the need of the kb alt-key. Sighhh...

Posted via CB10
    Yea, that's what I was saying in the other thread.
    It is missing from the word subs list..
    BlackBerry keep doing that nonsense.. I report a bug and instead of fixing it, they just remove the feature completely.

"BlackBerry classic" with no word subs.. is no classic @ all!

Also the classic keyboard shortcuts.. press and hold? Smh. Who comes up with this stuff?
    10-12-14 03:20 AM
    Andy, for some reason I can't view your pics. (I'm on the CB app)

Posted via CB10
    Oyes. I don't know why. I'll post again.

How to press alt?-img_20141012_092814.png
    10-12-14 03:24 AM
42 12