So after much back and forth, and after already deciding that I am going to get an iPhone 6 Plus, I instead ended up pulling the trigger tonight on the Passport. So what happened?

First, let me be clear about something...I am device agnostic, though I do tend to gravitate towards BlackBerry devices, when they work well. I like trying new phones, and I hate being left out. I guess I have technology anxiety. I've owned every brand over time, including most recently a couple of LG G2s and an iPhone 5S. I also owned every BlackBerry 10 device to date, and got rid of every single one of them because I didn't think that they offered enough for me, plus they were the equivalent of a loss-leader (look it up). I buy my devices outright, and generally sell them within 3-6 months to get something new. With that in mind, I was intrigued by the new iPhone after watching the keynote, and after seeing the 6 Plus, I was sure that was the new device for me (my LG G2 is currently awaiting repair, and I'm using a loaner Z10 from my sister, go figure). Nice large screen, Apple quality, awesome ecosystem. You simply can't go wrong. I still wanted to see the Passport, but I was 75% sure that the iPhone was it for me, especially after that disaster of a presentation delivered in Toronto (that was brutal to watch).

I decided to go to the Telus store yesterday to check out the Passport, alongside the iPhone 6 Plus. The girl at the counter was not the best customer service rep I've seen, but she did grab one Passport from the back to show me. The device was still in factory wrapping, not connected to the Net, and she gave me all of 2 minutes to play with it. My impression was "meh", and I walked out still coveting the iPhone. Then today I thought to myself "maybe that Passport is out of the floor now...I should check the store and give it one more chance".

Got to Telus, and lo-and-behold, they had the device hooked up. I spent about 20 minutes playing with it, and after testing how well the Android apps run on it now and being able to try the "Zoom Out" feature for the Android apps, I was impressed - they were actually better than on my LG G2. Couple this with the fact that the OS running on the Passport actually felt like I envisioned BlackBerry 10 would be 1.5 years ago, I was sold. The iPhone, more or less forgotten in an instant. Sure I will have some buyer's remorse around not getting that amazing ecosystem from Apple, but I feel that I made the right choice.

What won me over was the screen, the keyboard, and the build quality. The device is solid. So solid I actually don't remember picking up a device that felt this well built in a very, very long time (I'm talking years). In fact, today was the first time that I felt that I found a device that I may end up keeping until the next release cycle. I ordered my own tonight from Telus, outright, and then I will unlock it. Nobody else had stock so whatever. Same difference.

I do have to say though that I'm not happy with the price. I think that the device is too expensive considering the weak ecosystem and I am not impressed with how BlackBerry handled the pricing, with the US getting a nice discount and Canadians getting the shaft. I don't feel that they did Canadians fairly by favoring Americans, and they are really lucky that our dollar is tanking against the greenback, otherwise, this would have been 10 times worse. Now I just hope that they control the supply for this device well to ensure that I will have good resale value when it comes to that.

Overall, I'm looking forward to my Passport. It will be a couple weeks I'm sure to adjust to it, especially having typed for so long now on virtual keyboards.

PS: The Android "Zoom Out" feature is not supposed to crash the app. If it does, it's a bug. It worked wonderfully with Google Maps, Instagram, and theScore. It also provides way more visibility than you can get on *any* current Android device. Google Maps never looked so good on a mobile device.
    09-26-14 01:59 AM
    Wow. Thanks for sharing.

Posted via my Z30
    09-26-14 02:06 AM
  3. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Passport owners will be the best marketing venue for BlackBerry... as they become more familiar with its capabilities and also with blackberry Blend. ..

The phone is outstanding!!!

Posted via CB10
    09-26-14 02:10 AM
    Buying from carrier is always more expensive than in electronic shop.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-14 02:11 AM
    Buying from carrier is always more expensive than in electronic shop.

Posted via CB10
    Only by $12 in this case. Shop BlackBerry is stocked out, as is Amazon. Shop BlackBerry costs me $807 CAD with shipping, and Amazon costs me exactly the same or worse when you factor in the AmazonGlobal shipping plus taxes and duties. Furthermore, Amazon was risky because they don't have stock now and if the Canadian dollar drops more, the price goes up. You have to remember, whatever the forex rate may be for the day when Amazon ships the phone, the credit card company will charge me another 3.5% more. It all adds up. Telus comes out $784 all-in, plus a $35 unlocking fee that I may have a way of avoiding. Total, $819.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-14 02:31 AM
    Interesting. Looking forward to testing one myself. Though I am on Verizon in the USA. So I'd have to get an account with AT&T.
    09-26-14 02:42 AM
    I finally got my tracking number after two calls to digital river yesterday and elevating my stress level.

I wanted to say that I also feel my Canadian neighbors should have received the same pricing as we did in the USA.

In defense of the marketing folks, I can understand why they did this to help promote the blackberry brand here again. I am excited mine is on the way and can't wait to start using it and write a review for the great folks on this forum.

I also am taking back my new iPhone 6 for a refund today as soon as my passport arrives. I am already sold on the passport based on reviews from the folks who actually used it for a daily driver. Can't wait tell it gets here.
    vptsff and dejanh like this.
    09-26-14 03:50 AM