I've had my new sealed Passport delivered in mid October this year (build date 18/12/2014) and recently noticed the Call Summary counts the time since 24 July 2016, three months before I got it.

Checked with my mate who's got Passport too and his shows the same weird details- build date 8/12/2014, delivered to him mid April 2016 and the counter counts since 28. February 2016- two months before he got it.

How is this possible? Is it possible some phones are not as new as we might think?
    Other than this I'm happy with joining the sinking ship and can't say more than "WOW" what a beautiful device.
    12-01-16 08:29 AM
    That the manufactured date for your passport 12/18/2014
    Where did you get your passport? I heard someone recently ordered a silver edition from shopberry and manufactured date was March 2016.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-16 06:56 PM
    That the manufactured date for your passport 12/18/2014
    Where did you get your passport? I heard someone recently ordered a silver edition from shopberry and manufactured date was March 2016.

Posted via CB10
    I ordered my replacement SE last week and it was March 2016

Sent from my not quite obsolete beautiful BlackBerry Passport SE
    12-01-16 07:55 PM
    Mine came recently and has a MFG date from April of this year. Let's face it, although we like the Passport, it was not a great seller and many units were probably languishing on the shelves. Blackberry should have sale priced these units a long time ago. It's costing them money to hang onto them, so finally they did the right thing and loss leadered them.
    12-01-16 08:34 PM
    Mine is just a month old.

BlackBerry Passport the productive workhorse.
    12-01-16 08:40 PM
    The phones themselves were manufactured in a single batch for each sub-model (OG, AT&T, SE), and they are warehoused until one of their distributors places an order. At that time, they are taken out of bulk packaging, flashed with whatever the latest software is for the intended sales region, packaged with the most recent packaging for the distributor or carrier, and sent out. The date on the box is the packaging date, and it's very likely that, since the phone has to be powered on after being flashed, that the flash date is the "start date" you are describing (that's a couple of months before you bought the phone).
    Griffin2012 likes this.
    12-01-16 11:26 PM
    How can I get MFG date on PP?
    12-02-16 12:00 AM
    How can I get MFG date on PP?
    It's written on the box.
    12-02-16 01:24 AM
    Dont have.

Posted via CB10
    12-02-16 02:27 AM
    Cant answer your question why the Call summary is earlier then the date when you received the phone.
    As stated above, the date shown on the box is not the build date but the packaging date. It seems the Passports were made maybe in very few batches long time ago and were boxed as required.
    Replacement phone (sent to me on the 2nd of November received by me on the 3rd of November) which suppose to be new, but turned up to be repaired/refurbished unit had included sticker with the date 021116 - in other words was printed shortly before the shipment. Nothing surprise me anymore when it comes to Blackberry.
    12-02-16 02:31 AM
    Bought mine in July, MFG Date- June,2016

Posted via CB10
    12-02-16 03:09 AM
    Bought mine in July, MFG Date- June,2016

Posted via CB10
    Whatever is written on the box is not manufacturing date but packaging date. I've go my new/repaired/refurbished phone on the 3rd November 2016, shipped the 2nd of November and look what the sticker says. Blackberry just makes stickers when they need them. Do you really think they make the phones on demand? In that case this one should have been still warm from the assembly line. How new are some new Passports?-img_20161103_193913.jpg
    12-02-16 10:21 AM
    Amazing! This forum is really full of help. 621 views and not a single person replied what should I think about the date difference between the box and the Call summary.
    Thanks to RadoR6 for explaining what the date on the box means.
    12-15-16 01:31 PM
    Interesting.

For all of us buying backup Passports, I wonder if the build dates have any impact on battery life. If you sit one of these batteries unused for 2+ years does that shorten its lifespan? I think they preserve better than regular batteries but they must degrade in some fashion.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-16 03:27 PM
    Mine came recently and has a MFG date from April of this year. Let's face it, although we like the Passport, it was not a great seller and many units were probably languishing on the shelves. Blackberry should have sale priced these units a long time ago. It's costing them money to hang onto them, so finally they did the right thing and loss leadered them.
    I wish they'd loss leader them a bit lower.

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.2.2813
    12-15-16 03:44 PM
    Jst got myself the black OG passport on 8th of Dec.

Posted via CB10
    12-16-16 02:05 AM
    Amazing! This forum is really full of help. 621 views and not a single person replied what should I think about the date difference between the box and the Call summary.
    I was intrigued by the title of your thread, but I did not know the answer, so I didn't reply. I suspect a lot of people did the same. Shame on us non-replyers for not knowing the answer!

---={////]--[ Dispensed on my BlackBerry Passport 
    12-16-16 04:33 AM
    The phones themselves were manufactured in a single batch for each sub-model (OG, AT&T, SE), and they are warehoused until one of their distributors places an order. At that time, they are taken out of bulk packaging, flashed with whatever the latest software is for the intended sales region, packaged with the most recent packaging for the distributor or carrier, and sent out. The date on the box is the packaging date, and it's very likely that, since the phone has to be powered on after being flashed, that the flash date is the "start date" you are describing (that's a couple of months before you bought the phone).
    You say this a lot. Where is your proof that they were all produced in single batch runs?

Posted via CB10
    12-16-16 02:55 PM
    Interesting.

For all of us buying backup Passports, I wonder if the build dates have any impact on battery life. If you sit one of these batteries unused for 2+ years does that shorten its lifespan? I think they preserve better than regular batteries but they must degrade in some fashion.

Posted via CB10
    Dude no worrys. Palm txs are still selling I think. You can buy palm TX all day long. I have a palm TX for technical reasons for a motorcycle. Original owner was a jet setter. Still had some of his stuff in it. Battery is still good. And spares are everywhere.

I have two SE. No idea how to find build dates. Not on box no sticker.

Sent from one of my SE Passports using BB10 superior software.
    12-16-16 07:09 PM
    How new are some new Passports?-img_20161216_223057.jpg I assume this means mine was made in October of 2014? And mine was purchased in September of this year

Posted via CB10
    12-16-16 09:33 PM
    You say this a lot. Where is your proof that they were all produced in single batch runs?
    I can't "prove" to a blind man that the sky is blue, but lack of what you'd consider "proof" doesn't make it false.

I have a pretty detailed understanding of how manufacturing works, as I've explained in long detail in other posts - many details of which have individually proven to be true. I can't prove this is true, and I could even be mistaken - but with all the information available to us, it makes complete sense. A typical smartphone production line can make 50-100,000 phones per week. If, say, a device is in production for 10 weeks, and the total production numbers are in the ballpark of 700k-1M, then it seems clear that there wouldn't be a (very expensive) second run, and that all production came from a single run. Note that it can cost several million dollars or more just to set up, calibrate, and test machines for actual production - NOT counting the tooling, which is a lot more than that - and the line has to be out of production during the change-over, so manufacturers are highly motivated not to make production line changes anymore often than absolutely necessary, because it costs a ton of money to do so - money that comes out of whatever profits that device might have been expected to bring. And small, financially-struggling manufacturers are even more motivated not to waste money that way compared to, say, Apple or Samsung, who could far more easily absorb those costs.
    syclone1978 likes this.
    12-16-16 09:55 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20161216_223057.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	414400 I assume this means mine was made in October of 2014? And mine was purchased in September of this year.
    That's the date it was packaged, not when it was manufacturered.

When a device like a computer, tablet, or smartphone is manufactured, and expected to sit in inventory for a relatively long time, or during a known tech change-over (such as Win 8 to Win 10), then they are manufactured, bulk-packed, and sent to a warehouse. When orders come in, they have the then-current software loaded on them (localized for the language and settings of the intended market), and then packaged in the then-current packaging with the then-current inserts.

9 months later, when orders come in, the then-current software may be different, and the packaging and/or inserts may be different (when a carrier re-brands, or is acquired, for example). Or, inventory that was assumed to be purchased by one vendor, but wasn't, can be transferred to a different vendor, without the expense of wasted packaging and wasted labor to unpackage them and repackage them for the new vendor.

If you're Apple or Samsung, and have predictable and voracious demand for your product, such that it will be in continuous production just to meet demand, then you can package right at the factory, at least in the beginning of the product cycle. When you're a smaller vendor with a longer sales cycle, you can't afford to do that.
    Last edited by Troy Tiscareno; 12-17-16 at 10:40 AM.
    12-16-16 10:02 PM
    I can't "prove" to a blind man that the sky is blue, but lack of what you'd consider "proof" doesn't make it false.
    Well said!
    I appreciate your posts and that you take your time breaking down the manufacturing process in a way that most people can understand.
    Thank you!
    syclone1978 likes this.
    12-17-16 09:27 AM