I've heard all the stories that BlackBerry phones offer "security". Now I wanted to ask what exactly does that mean?

Does it mean if I'm sending text messages or making phone calls that nobody can intercept and understand my messages? Are the messages that are incoming to my phone secure as well? What about emails that I send from my phone?

I saw on YouTube a hacker was able to get in close range of a cell phone tower and intercept any voice or text messages sent or received through that tower. It got me wondering if they could intercept my BlackBerry messages through such a tower.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-15 09:46 PM
    Communications going in and out are the same as everyone else (unless you're on a BES, and communicating with others within your group).

A BB10 is more secure at the device level because it does not allow root access to apps or non-official ROMS. Password protection has never been successfully hacked, and device/SD card encryption is well implemented.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2789
    dusanvn likes this.
    10-05-15 10:02 PM
    And another factor is, lesser hackers are interested with BB10 OS...

Posted via CB10
    10-05-15 10:42 PM
    Communications going in and out are the same as everyone else (unless you're on a BES, and communicating with others within your group).

A BB10 is more secure at the device level because it does not allow root access to apps or non-official ROMS. Password protection has never been successfully hacked, and device/SD card encryption is well implemented.
    Okay, so my phone conversations and outgoing text messages can be easily intercepted like anybody else's phone (unless I'm on a BES).

How about chats between two BlackBerry phones with the BBM app? I thought I heard that BBM messages are encrypted before transmission?

Also, when you say that password protection has never been successfully hacked, are you referring to the password on the lock screen? And, any hacker will find it impossible to read data off the device SD card, not the media SD card?

Posted via CB10
    10-05-15 10:50 PM
    Okay, so my phone conversations and outgoing text messages can be easily intercepted like anybody else's phone (unless I'm on a BES).

How about chats between two BlackBerry phones with the BBM app? I thought I heard that BBM messages are encrypted before transmission?

Also, when you say that password protection has never been successfully hacked, are you referring to the password on the lock screen? And, any hacker will find it impossible to read data off the device SD card, not the media SD card?

Posted via CB10
    Phone, sms, and email traffic is not controlled by BlackBerry, but by whatever provider you choose.

BBM Protected is unhackable, but regular BBM traffic is potentially at risk as BlackBerry has the keys to decrypt it and may be forced under court order to reveal conversations.

Yes, I am referring to device password.

There is only one SD card. It cannot be decrypted without device access. Device storage can be encrypted as well, to stand up against forensic analysis.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2789
    Last edited by conite; 10-05-15 at 11:30 PM.
    10-05-15 11:13 PM