1. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Agree with Howarat..... wait a bit to see what Verizon will do... message them to let them know of your displeasure and that you want the Passport or Classic... if in a month or so, they are not showing signs... switch to ATT...

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 06:20 PM
    I have been using Verizon and AT&T for the past several years. The signal of AT&T seems to be stronger and stable.

Posted via CB10
    georgiesynder likes this.
    09-28-14 06:57 PM
    Possibly, just depends on how long I have to wait.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 07:02 PM
    Nope I wouldn't switch for the Passport. Verizon coverage for my area is far superior. I'm holding out for an all-touch anyway.
    What if no more supported Blackberry phones? Is it just the Passport we're discussing, or a deeper issue of Blackberry? Would you leave a carrier to get a BlackBerry?
    I won't. I don't want a passport anyway. And if vzw doesn't get anymore touch screen bb's I'll get a WP. But I have a year and half before I upgrade anyway so that's a long time to see.
    09-28-14 07:10 PM
    What if no more supported Blackberry phones? Is it just the Passport we're discussing, or a deeper issue of Blackberry? Would you leave a carrier to get a BlackBerry?
    Definitely not. What good is having your desired phone but with zero/lousy reception?

Posted from an ME173X
    09-28-14 07:29 PM
    Wait for it.....

" The sleeping giant is about to wake up " Me
    09-28-14 07:44 PM
    What if it isn't VZW and it's BBRY not making CDMA phones as a cost cutting plan. VZW no longer has the Z30. What has happened to the old BBRY "World" phones ?
    09-28-14 07:59 PM
    Nooooppppeeee...verizon >> AT&T. I want a passport so bad but I won't sacrifice my coverage/call quality/LTE speed/etc. Does anyone have a good opinion of the G3?

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 08:55 PM
    What's the problem is it that Verizon doesn't want to support blackberry or is it blackberry doesn't want to support cdma? I know most of the world is GSM but come on!
    Could be both. BlackBerry may not have liked the effort Verizon put into moving the Z30 even though they heavily customized the version they had with the wireless charging and larger dimensions needed because of this and decided not hey wouldn't make them a phone without a major commitment . Verizon may be tired of BlackBerry devices not selling well and be unwilling to make a commitment on a polarizing device.

Since the Classic is nothing more than a modified Q10, the radio is already ready for both Verizon and Sprint so this should much easier for both to agree on.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    raino likes this.
    09-28-14 09:09 PM
    Could be both. BlackBerry may not have liked the effort Verizon put into moving the Z30 even though they heavily customized the version they had with the wireless charging and larger dimensions needed because of this and decided not hey wouldn't make them a phone without a major commitment . Verizon may be tired of BlackBerry devices not selling well and be unwilling to make a commitment on a polarizing device.
    IMO it couldn't be the first scenario you've laid out, because Verizon is not any old carrier, nor a glorified MVNO like TMO. The second scenario I think is more likely.
    09-28-14 09:22 PM
    Nooooppppeeee...verizon >> AT&T. I want a passport so bad but I won't sacrifice my coverage/call quality/LTE speed/etc. Does anyone have a good opinion of the G3?

Posted via CB10
    My wife has one. The hardware is top notch and the phone zips with no problems. Putting the power and volume rockers on the back of the phone is genius. A G3 with BB10 OS would be incredible. I just can't get down with android. Seems to be all over the place.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 09:24 PM
    Also, AT&T just changed the mobile share plans and doubled the data on 15GB plans and higher. I just changed my 5 lines to 30 GB for an additional $27 a month total. There is a quick write up on this on the main CB site.

Last time I was in a Verizon store I felt like I was in a car dealership's finance department...not a good feeling.

Posted via CB10
    What made your experience feel this way? How could it improve?
    09-28-14 09:25 PM
    What made your experience feel this way? How could it improve?
    You're a Verizon employee, aren't you? Bad timing to be posting becauuuse...

Do you know anything about Verizon getting the Passport?
    09-28-14 09:30 PM
    You're a Verizon employee, aren't you? Bad timing to be posting becauuuse...

Do you know anything about Verizon getting the Passport?
    I wish I had some news. I am in the same boat as the majority of the CrackBerry users in the Passport threads.

WHERE IS MY PASSPORT?! Haha.

With the majority of Fortune 500 companies utilizing BlackBerry and Verizon's network. I hope that we see it soon. I will be quick to upgrade my Q10 to the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    Innerchild and raino like this.
    09-28-14 09:36 PM
    Kept my Z30 on VZW, it still has unlimited data, and got a new line on ATT with Passport purchased from ShopBB. Not ideal but allows best of both for the time being. Picked up the promotion today with ATT for double data at same price, or half price for the higher amount depending on your viewpoint.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 10:09 PM
    I couldn't even if I wanted to. Verizon is the only one with service where I live.
    09-28-14 10:46 PM
    My fear is that by the time AT&T (or Verizon) offer it, the $599 price on the BB store and Amazon will be timed to end. Buying it from AT&T will cost me $699. Certainly waiting for a CDMA version from Verizon will be past the promotional price timeline. Chen had said something about the carriers selling it for more and I have read TELUS is or will be selling it for $749 ($50 more than $699 from the Canadian BB store).

I feel I'm better off getting it for $599 unlocked GSM if the price holds when they become available again and use it on AT&T. They will probably address the LTE problem eventually. Also, GSM is world band anyway and therefore better for traveling. Getting a CDMA version kind of defeats the purpose of getting a "Passport."
    09-28-14 11:39 PM
    The switch for those in an urban or suburban area shouldn't be too much of an issue if they don't have an unlimited data plan grandfathered in. I'll be picking up an AT&T SIM for the Passport and keeping my unlimited Verizon plan for my Q10. Hopefully I'll be parting ways with AT&T and using a new Verizon CDMA Passport sooner rather than later!
    09-29-14 12:10 AM
    IMO it couldn't be the first scenario you've laid out, because Verizon is not any old carrier, nor a glorified MVNO like TMO. The second scenario I think is more likely.
    Verizon is a large, lazy company that cares zero about the customer or technology. This is true whether it is their FIOS, phone, or wireless. They are a glacier in tech. I have had all these services from them and they are horrible to deal with and behind in technology. The fact that my Directv HD picture quality with limited satellite frequency blows away the picture on FIOS HD which has near infinite frequency available due to fiber to my house is just laughable. The fact that they are still requiring CDMA is again laughable given they were the first to start rolling out LTE. In fact if I were a phone maker I would charge Verizon and Sprint more per device to cover the fact that they are completely non standard from everyone else and give them incentive to EOL CDMA support.

The first scenario is completely plausible if BlackBerry did a cost benefit analysis on how much it would cost to develop a CDMA capable Passport, number of Z30 devices it moved on Verizon, and knowing that Verizon did nothing with the "exclusivity" they had on the device. The Classic's being a modified Q10 cost BlackBerry really no additional development cost to support Verizon. Given how BlackBerry's support from the US carriers has been so horrible, I don't know if you will see a truly new CDMA capable BlackBerry again (Classic doesn't count).

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    raino and Helvitis like this.
    09-29-14 06:47 AM
    The first scenario is completely plausible if BlackBerry did a cost benefit analysis on how much it would cost to develop a CDMA capable Passport, number of Z30 devices it moved on Verizon, and knowing that Verizon did nothing with the "exclusivity" they had on the device. The Classic's being a modified Q10 cost BlackBerry really no additional development cost to support Verizon. Given how BlackBerry's support from the US carriers has been so horrible, I don't know if you will see a truly new CDMA capable BlackBerry again (Classic doesn't count).
    Lol I feel the same way about CDMA, and I may even agree about the cost benefit analysis BB might have done...but you don't spite the largest US carrier, one with those juicy government contracts! At least not when you're in BB's position, and when in a couple of years Verizon is going all-LTE with its lineup. You think they'll be so forgiving then, especially if BB hasn't made a significant enough comeback? So if Verizon would have wanted the Passport, I think BB would have given it to them.
    09-29-14 08:19 AM
    As the title suggests, I am a very angry Verizon customer and just NEED the Passport! Am I completely insane for thinking of switching to AT&T for a phone?

I ordered it from the Blackberry shop the moment it was released and I have been using it on WiFi ever since and completely fell in love with it.

Otherwise I am very happy with my Verizon coverage.
    If I were a Verizon customer, and otherwise happy with service, I likely would not switch, but also would not rule it out. It would depend mainly on how quickly VoLTE coverage is progressing, and how soon (predicted sometime in 2015) all US carriers transition to BYOD policies. Eventually the market will dictate that, though even the Passport may be obsolete by then.

As it is, I am a Sprint customer, off contract, and comparing AT&T with Verizon in the Boston area (or more accurately, south shore of Boston harbor). All carriers in the area are near equivalent in terms of signal, since the biggest issue is NIMBY's opposing expansion of coverage (i.e., no one wants a tower near their houses). Sprint and T Mobile seem to be worse than Verizon and AT&T, especially as customer service goes, and with having very short radii where coverage is good.

Even though I am not a world traveler, I am looking more favorably at AT&T simply because GSM is still the global standard, not CDMA. I will wait, however, until AT&T "officially" carries the Passport; I just don't trust any company not to F up BYOD at this time.
    09-29-14 08:57 AM
    As the title suggests, I am a very angry Verizon customer and just NEED the Passport! Am I completely insane for thinking of switching to AT&T for a phone?

I ordered it from the Blackberry shop the moment it was released and I have been using it on WiFi ever since and completely fell in love with it.

Otherwise I am very happy with my Verizon coverage.
    I switched from Verizon to AT&T for the Z10. All carriers provide service. If they don't support my device choice, I'll change.

Posted via CB10 using my Passport
    09-29-14 12:54 PM
    You've inadvertently raised a difficult question. The hub is nice. The gesture based OS is nice. But with the phasing out of BIS will the end user end up spending twice as much for a piece of hardware with equal specs just so they can download and run a bunch of apps from the Amazon App store? I don't know.
    09-29-14 01:15 PM
    If the passport dont come to verizon by january im switching

Posted via WHT Q10
    09-29-14 01:15 PM
    You guys considering the switch should let them know. Call them, e-mail them or tweet them about the issue and that you are willing to switch for the Passport. Maybe it won't help much, but it might be something. I could imagine things would change if the Passport is selling really well and right now it's not looking too bad, so...
    09-29-14 01:55 PM
103 1234 ...