I have a recently cracked screen z10. I've only seen reviews but I'm completely sold on the PP and will be getting one regardless of the answer to my question. How many steps to get to the ampersand? To me, it's kind of buried on the z10. PP owner, please tell me there is a one step shortcut.
    10-24-14 02:57 PM
    I find your question somewhat curious. However, I understand it. On the first expanded keyboard now.
    10-24-14 03:10 PM
    One swipe downwards and hit the "N" key!

Posted via Passport OS 10.3.0.908/Rogers Wireless
    UncleChuck and thedose like this.
    10-24-14 03:22 PM
    I use the & often and it bums me that it requires 3 motions on the Z10/Z30 keyboard.
    UncleChuck likes this.
    10-24-14 04:15 PM
    You could do what I do sometimes, when I don't feel like bringing up the vkb to type the ampersand...I use Word Substitution (Settings > Language and Input > Prediction and Correction > Word Substitution). So, in Word Sub I create a sub for the ampersand: amp = & and just type "amp" on the pkb. Works well.
    10-24-14 04:26 PM
    There's something very attractive and poetic about this thread's title. Not sure if it was on purpose or not, but.. good job OP.

Posted via CB10
    eldricho and UncleChuck like this.
    10-24-14 04:36 PM
    You could do what I do sometimes, when I don't feel like bringing up the vkb to type the ampersand...I use Word Substitution (Settings > Language and Input > Prediction and Correction > Word Substitution). So, in Word Sub I create a sub for the ampersand: amp = & and just type "amp" on the pkb. Works well.
    word substitution is an often under-utilized feature.
    10-24-14 04:44 PM
    There's something very attractive and poetic about this thread's title. Not sure if it was on purpose or not, but.. good job OP.

Posted via CB10
    Indeed.
    10-24-14 04:53 PM
    Agreed, I seriously couldn't live without it. lol Just wish we could back up our sub list, for when we need to wipe/upgrade our devices.
    DocDRM likes this.
    10-24-14 04:55 PM
    We cannot? I ask because I don't know if I misunderstood what you meant but every word substitute I have created has been restored after doing so using link... did I miss something?

Agreed, I seriously couldn't live without it. lol Just wish we could back up our sub list, for when we need to wipe/upgrade our devices.

Posted via CB10
    SharonRD likes this.
    10-24-14 06:29 PM
    Ahh, ok. Thanks, I didn't know that since I don't use Link, I always back up my stuff manually onto SD and start totally fresh. A fellow CB user mentioned that he couldn't back up his word subs, so I mistakenly assumed that you couldn't. My bad. lol But would be nice if word subs were linked to your BB ID, so they automatically restored after inputting your ID.

Posted with my Canadian Passport
    10-24-14 06:39 PM
    Yes, it would be nice to save them somewhere else since restoring has its issues... sometimes, if I have a bug, I wonder if that's the result of restoring using link... but it also has its good things, and restoring word substitutes is one of them

Ahh, ok. Thanks, I didn't know that since I don't use Link, I always back up my stuff manually onto SD and start totally fresh. A fellow CB user mentioned that he couldn't back up his word subs, so I mistakenly assumed that you couldn't. My bad. lol But would be nice if word subs were linked to your BB ID, so they automatically restored after inputting your ID.

Posted with my Canadian Passport

Posted via CB10
    SharonRD likes this.
    10-24-14 07:01 PM
    +1. That's what I use.

Posted via CB10 (7250 -> 8703e -> 9530 -> 9550 -> 9650 -> 9930 -> PlayBook -> Z10 -> Z30)
    SharonRD likes this.
    10-24-14 07:02 PM
    jhanks,

"I feel your pain"

Fmr President Clinton
    10-26-14 06:22 PM
    Thanks everyone, I appreciate the feedback.
    10-26-14 06:25 PM
    I use a lot of double letters for word substitution on oft used terms. It's very quick to type. If you use ampersand a lot, set aa to ampersand in word sub.

Posted via CB10
    b121 likes this.
    10-26-14 06:29 PM
    Two swipes down on the Z10 keyboard gets an ampersand. Not terribly "buried". And looks like the Passport uses the same functionality.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-14 06:53 PM
    Agreed, I run a small business and answer a lot of text messages, I use word sub for my signature.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-14 08:10 PM
    What the deuce is ampersand? Some sort of govt conspiracy?

Posted via CB10
    UncleChuck likes this.
    10-26-14 11:40 PM
    What the deuce is ampersand? Some sort of govt conspiracy?

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 12:17 AM
    The word substitution doesn't work when you have leading characters directly adjacent (without a space); for example, if you had aa=& in your word substitution, and you were trying to type AT&T, you would try to type ATaaT...that won't work...it's better to just swipe down on the keyboard and hit N...two moves, bam
    10-27-14 12:23 AM
    One swipe downwards and hit the "N" key!

Posted via Passport OS 10.3.0.908/Rogers Wireless
    This!^

It's like one and a half steps! If you swipe down to the N key you can finish off with a press.

Faster than keyword substitution.

Posted via CB10
    UncleChuck likes this.
    10-27-14 12:41 AM
    The word substitution doesn't work when you have leading characters directly adjacent (without a space); for example, if you had aa=& in your word substitution, and you were trying to type AT&T, you would try to type ATaaT...that won't work...it's better to just swipe down on the keyboard and hit N...two moves, bam
    Word substitution is for things you type often. How often do you type AT&T? Sounds like swipe-N works well in this case, but if it didn't, and I worked for AT&T or something, I would probably make a substitution of "att" for AT&T - or something like that.

Posted via CB10
    SharonRD likes this.
    10-27-14 01:21 PM