..Especially no Google play services?

Or maybe just a few droid apps and cobalts awesome fix?

Are the benefits in the battery department HUGE or?..

Do you need a secondary phone or manage with clients and the browser?

What are the rewards versus the biggest downside(s)?

I am about to run an autoloader for 2205 which I hear will reset my passport and I am thinking of keeping it as limited as possible. I definitely would like Cobalts "soultion" though as my one android app I absolutely need is Voxer. The Olde versions are limited but run flawless and without play services needed however the newer versions have afew new features I rarely use anyway BUT require play services.

Choices, choices. Look forward to feedback!

My goal is going to be to keep android apps to a super bare minimum as well as even native "headless apps" to get that battery life I used to love so much about my passport as this passport here is at 41% and I woke up three hours ago with 100%. Not normal! I hope it's the apps and not that I have around 310 cycles on my battery... we shall see.

Thurask, you out there? A.K.A. Runtime king?

I am curious if you remember what blackberry's .172 was from as in device or what OS? 10.2.1? I think runtime .110 is from the classic. Anyway, after I do this autoloader to 2205 from my now 2163 I will be swapping the runtime to either .172 or .110 as those both run Showbox flawless however the latest 10.3.3 blackberry updates all crash showbox! BS! So, I will fix that little issue. Must of been intentionally done as google is doing its best to blow out showbox also. All you have to do is load the .172 or .110 runtime to fix it though. I am debating which one I want. I wish I still have the .56 runtime. Anybody have?...

I always went with .172 because it had a larger shell bar file then all other runtime so it's just in my head that must do more. LOL. Either way was a very stable runtime which is why I am curious where .172 first popped up from...

Doubt anyone will know this though.

BTW: if your running a native app that's a webos type app, is it still basically native since running native code? Same on battery life, unlike how allot of .apks can be 'beings they must run on top of the OS as another sort of virtual OS.

"WOOF"

Posted via CB10
    09-02-17 01:00 PM
    Android apps tend to draw more power when in use. But otherwise Cobalt's solution has negligible impact on battery life.
    DreadPirateRegan likes this.
    09-02-17 01:15 PM
    Android apps tend to draw more power when in use. But otherwise Cobalt's solution has negligible impact on battery life.
    Oh, I will always run Cobalts fix, it's superb. I am on whom needs it but yes, I know and need to keep droid apps down to a minimum as my passports battery life is garbage which is unheard of for a passport. That's it's top positive! Not mine so time for factory refresh and to be picky. I wish system Scheme had a save feature as I am going to have to reset all this myself now..

I was just curious if anyone uses fully native and it's there only phone and happy with it and if so, how's that batt life. Must be amazing. I suppose we have to find happy mediums.

I heard some people not only run fully native but remove the runtime itself? Is this true? WOW! Now that's a blackberry loyalists!

Posted via CB10
    09-02-17 01:22 PM
    Oh, I will always run Cobalts fix, it's superb. I am on whom needs it but yes, I know and need to keep droid apps down to a minimum as my passports battery life is garbage which is unheard of for a passport. That's it's top positive! Not mine so time for factory refresh and to be picky. I wish system Scheme had a save feature as I am going to have to reset all this myself now..

I was just curious if anyone uses fully native and it's there only phone and happy with it and if so, how's that batt life. Must be amazing. I suppose we have to find happy mediums.

I heard some people not only run fully native but remove the runtime itself? Is this true? WOW! Now that's a blackberry loyalists!

Posted via CB10
    You can't remove the Runtime.

Only a bad app (native or Android), a corrupt system setting, or a PIM feedback loop can cause standby battery issues.
    09-02-17 01:26 PM
    All original Passport here.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-17 04:40 PM
    No android on my silver one. Battery life is quite good.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.2.2639

Posted via CB10
    09-02-17 05:22 PM
    I have only 10 android apps on my Passport (bought Oct 2014) and NO Google Play Services (never had). I use my own cloud service (WD Mycloud) and have the WD MyCloud app and WD Photos (both android from Amazon yuck! , but they work). I have 3 android apps from F-Droid and all work well. I sync with the MyCloud on a manual basis so that the apps are not running in the background constantly. I still have excellent battery life (condition is at 88%) after 3 years and around 630 cycles. Typically when I go to bed I still have about 35-40% left. Best phone I have ever had but the browser is slowing down and the end is near, although I've been saying that for awhile now. But for that one fact (browser old), I could see myself using it for another year or 2. I recently purchased a Huawei P10 for myself but gave it to my wife (who gave up her Passport finally). I think I will try to snag an older Huawei P9 maybe on ebay for myself.
    09-02-17 05:53 PM
    The Android runtime will run regardless so you might as well make use of it if you need an Android app. You should check device monitor to see what's using up most of your battery, if it's a recent issue it might just be a rogue app.
    09-02-17 06:45 PM
    No Google Play services on my Passport or any of my other phones, save a lone Z30.
    I generally stay away from Android apps except for some games, so I use the Z30 to grab the APK's
    I check that no Android apps are left running in the background. Battery life on my SE was ridiculous. I'm squeezing a day out of my Z10, can usually get 2 out of the Q10 if I need to, but the SE was on track for 4-5 days easy.
    09-03-17 12:18 AM
    No Google Play services on my Passport or any of my other phones, save a lone Z30.
    I generally stay away from Android apps except for some games, so I use the Z30 to grab the APK's
    I check that no Android apps are left running in the background. Battery life on my SE was ridiculous. I'm squeezing a day out of my Z10, can usually get 2 out of the Q10 if I need to, but the SE was on track for 4-5 days easy.
    I think you don't really use your phone then. I have a fresh new Passport SE, and the android apps don't even appear in the top of the device monitor, and I get like max 2 Days out of it when I'm using it often. If I don't use the phone I sure get more lol

Posted with my  BlackBerry Passport SE™
    09-03-17 03:49 AM
    You can't remove the Runtime.

Only a bad app (native or Android), a corrupt system setting, or a PIM feedback loop can cause standby battery issues.
    Do I find out if I have that? I looked in device setting. Is BASA the app for it and let it run two days first?

Posted via CB10
    09-03-17 05:11 PM
    The Android runtime will run regardless so you might as well make use of it if you need an Android app. You should check device monitor to see what's using up most of your battery, if it's a recent issue it might just be a rogue app.
    What percentage is to high for an app so I can figure this out? I am probably going to start over but freaked about it as last time reset I was one of few who has a irrecoverable bberror and had to get a different passport. Hoping this one is fine with reset as want to autoload 2205 while I am at it. I know some said I can just autoload and it will erase anyway however wouldn't it be best to erase myself with the real blackberry way then run autoloader, then re set up my device from there with ONLY what I use to get my batt life back. On 2163 might as well go to 2205 even though the same...

Posted via CB10
    09-03-17 05:13 PM
    I swore u could remove the runtime (not that I want to) with the Chrome extension as I used to always replace the runtime files with older ones. .172 to be exact where ever that particular run time is from, not sure but works well and has a larger shell. It is also a good fix if you need Showbox on OS 2205. Just Chrome extension and replace the runtime with .172 and showbox will run fine yet u will still be on the latest 10.3.3 as I doubt the runtime got any better tweaked as there is barely a bb10 team anymore!

Posted via CB10
    09-03-17 05:16 PM
    Yeah I used to get a day and a half from old SE with heavy usage and lots of headless apps and around 50 droid apps. Not anymore on this new SE, hope it's one of or a few of my 60 droid apps. We shall see when I refresh. Battery cycle count now at 317.

Posted via CB10
    09-03-17 05:17 PM
    I have only 10 android apps on my Passport (bought Oct 2014) and NO Google Play Services (never had). I use my own cloud service (WD Mycloud) and have the WD MyCloud app and WD Photos (both android from Amazon yuck! , but they work). I have 3 android apps from F-Droid and all work well. I sync with the MyCloud on a manual basis so that the apps are not running in the background constantly. I still have excellent battery life (condition is at 88%) after 3 years and around 630 cycles. Typically when I go to bed I still have about 35-40% left. Best phone I have ever had but the browser is slowing down and the end is near, although I've been saying that for awhile now. But for that one fact (browser old), I could see myself using it for another year or 2. I recently purchased a Huawei P10 for myself but gave it to my wife (who gave up her Passport finally). I think I will try to snag an older Huawei P9 maybe on ebay for myself.
    Brookie, what other cool droid apps do you have? I know u gave me Newpipe and it's superb for BB10. PiP, etc.. no api's. Love it.. do you use supertube to or just Newpipe? I'm interested in what other. Apks u feel are worth having..

Posted via CB10
    09-03-17 05:22 PM
    Do I find out if I have that? I looked in device setting. Is BASA the app for it and let it run two days first?

Posted via CB10
    Only autoloader will correct system setting error.

Autoloader wipes. There is no danger to running an autoloader. Absolutely none.
    09-03-17 05:27 PM
    I tried Cobalt's play store fix! I downloaded some apps (mostly google maps was my number 1 reason for downloading it) but then erased it as I didn't use any of the Google apps at the end (not even the Google maps). I am pretty happy with the apps provided by blackberry word and amazon's play store.

Posted via CB10
    09-03-17 05:47 PM
    Brookie, what other cool droid apps do you have? I know u gave me Newpipe and it's superb for BB10. PiP, etc.. no api's. Love it.. do you use supertube to or just Newpipe? I'm interested in what other. Apks u feel are worth having..

Posted via CB10
    Sorry to disappoint lol, but as I said, I don't have many android apps. I like the Yalp Store app (front end for Google Play), DroidShows from F-Droid, and a couple of entertainment apps called Movie HD (favorite), Newest Movies HD, MegaBox HD. That's about it--nothing earthshattering haha. I am aware of Supertube but only use Newpipe occasionally. I should mention that I do use the Yalp Store fairly often to download and install android apps on an as needed basis. If I want to use something for a certain occasion, I will download then use the app and then uninstall. Examples of this include android apps for travel (localized info etc).
    Pavelsan likes this.
    09-03-17 06:04 PM
    What percentage is to high for an app so I can figure this out? I am probably going to start over but freaked about it as last time reset I was one of few who has a irrecoverable bberror and had to get a different passport. Hoping this one is fine with reset as want to autoload 2205 while I am at it. I know some said I can just autoload and it will erase anyway however wouldn't it be best to erase myself with the real blackberry way then run autoloader, then re set up my device from there with ONLY what I use to get my batt life back. On 2163 might as well go to 2205 even though the same...

Posted via CB10
    It's hard to say as the percentage will depend on app usage but I think any Android app over a 12 hours period that uses ~10% or more battery could be worth looking into. Can you also post a screenshot from device monitor? That could give a few clues on where to look.
    09-03-17 09:33 PM
    I don't run Google Play Services, but I do run a few Android apps, mostly Forum Fiend OSP, Podtrapper, DS File Manager, Ghost Commander, Newpipe, JumpGo Browser, and Delta Chat. I tend to find apps at F-Droid and YALP, though I've occasionally skulked around Aptoide to find old versions.
    09-03-17 10:38 PM
    Me.
    I have a couple Android apps, mostly news sites. But everything else is stock. No Cobalt crap. The phone wasn't designed to run Android nor do Android apps run well. They simply degrade the BB & Passport experience for me. I can be perfectly happy with a (mostly) stock BB10. When I get bored I put it in the drawer and run my Xiaomi Mi4 (Which I am doing currently).

BB10 & the Passport are mostly nostalgic hobbies now so for the most part Iv'e migrated to Android. But the PP is still fun occasionally.
    09-04-17 01:43 AM
    No Cobalt crap. The phone wasn't designed to run Android nor do Android apps run well.
    Cobalt "crap"? Wasn't "designed" to run Android apps? Hmm.

Some Android apps run extraordinary well as a matter of fact.
    rarsen likes this.
    09-04-17 06:01 AM
    My Passport Silver has android runtime Google play services and my Passport AT&T variant is purely bb10, and I see no difference besides some android apps load a few seconds longer which is negligible.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-17 10:09 AM
    Sorry to disappoint lol, but as I said, I don't have many android apps. I like the Yalp Store app (front end for Google Play), DroidShows from F-Droid, and a couple of entertainment apps called Movie HD (favorite), Newest Movies HD, MegaBox HD. That's about it--nothing earthshattering haha. I am aware of Supertube but only use Newpipe occasionally. I should mention that I do use the Yalp Store fairly often to download and install android apps on an as needed basis. If I want to use something for a certain occasion, I will download then use the app and then uninstall. Examples of this include android apps for travel (localized info etc).
    Can you send me to the proper link to scoop movie HD (the best? Since showbox don't work anymore without swapping runtime) as well as the yalp store? I am going to try it. I will always run Cobalts app though. Want play services and it has minimal impact for what it gives back..

I'm sure most people do use it, even need it but interesting to see the people who don't need anything much at all except native 'even in 2017.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-17 12:54 PM
    Just got up at 100 percent battery. It's been 50 minutes on supertube. Now at 81%. ...and it's not supertube.. that's poor! I am going to send a screenshot.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-17 12:56 PM
70 123