Thinking about getting a blackberry passport silver edition but since the android priv came out I wonder how long will BB10 software stay around.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    12-06-15 12:02 AM
    If the BB CEO wants to let the market decide, it sort of tells me that buying a BB10 shows them it's worth continuing to support! On a side-note had to return the Priv in favor of a passport SE no regrets.
    kertong and Supa_Fly1 like this.
    12-06-15 12:21 AM
    If the BB CEO wants to let the market decide, it sort of tells me that buying a BB10 shows them it's worth continuing to support! On a side-note had to return the Priv in favor of a passport SE no regrets.
    Okay I see mix reviews on the priv I see the priv as a android phone that says blackberry. Its not a blackberry that happens to run android I want a blackberry.

jope28 likes this.
    12-06-15 06:15 AM
    If Blackberry wants to keep their high security credentials intact BB10 will continue on. The hardware compliments their software unlike the Priv. I don't see it going anywhere anytime soon. Despite the uninformed naysayers.

Posted via CB10
    bigjman likes this.
    12-06-15 07:42 AM
    I used a Samsung Galaxy S, the original S, from October 2010 until January 2014. The phone then went to my stepson and he used it for another year after which I sold it on eBay for $30 CDN. I had put CyanogenMod on the phone and extended its usefulness to me as this phone was no longer supported by Samsung.

The point I am making is any phone is likely to be fully functional for a lot longer than it is supported by the manufacturer. With my current app portfolio, I will likely get another year out of my Z30 before the Android apps require too much unnecessary horsepower.

A Passport with extra memory and CPU grunt likely has three years more useful life in it. The question should be 'Can I support my phone with spare parts during the period of time I wish to use it?'

I have faith that BlackBerry will survive. Yes, Android is a path they have taken. Frankly, there are some fantastic features in BB10 that make sense to be ported to Android. It is really just a matter of time.

My expectation of BlackBerry is that in a year, Android on BlackBerry is going to feel more BB10 like than it does today and migrating to a BlackBerry running Android in 2017 will feel seamless.

The short answer is buy the device that meets your needs today. BlackBerry phones hold their value and are easy to sell online.

I moved to the Z30 kicking and screaming after being on Android for 4.5 years. I needed time to prove to myself that I could run the apps that I needed.

Don't get me wrong, thank God for Cobalt and the work he has done. Cobalt has demonstrated that a BB10 phone with access to the Google Play Store is a superior solution.

I believe I get the best of both worlds. My alternative point of view is that BlackBerry will customize their Android phones to the point where when I need to move to an Android BlackBerry, I won't notice the difference.

If you can't beat them, join them.

Posted via CB10
    12-06-15 08:22 AM
    Realistically, BB10 will probably be supported for another 4 years with security and stability updates. OS 10.3.3 is out in March 2016.... so we're probably good until 2020. I wouldn't count on much app development or new apps.... but if you're not a big app user, not much should change until 2020.

Also, there might not be any new BB10 devices.... so whatever is out there is what we have.
    12-06-15 08:27 AM
    Also in countries like here (Jamaica) a lot of people still use OS7 still surprised to see Torch sliders and bold 9900 still plenty abound.

So am confident of at least 3+years with my fabulous BBPPSE!!

Passport SQW100-4 10.3.2.2474
    12-06-15 10:12 AM
    Have tried androids and iphones...nothing beats bb10. Have always come back to my classic and now PPSE within 5 days max.

It's not that I don't need apps, but the productivity on my BlackBerry is so good, I can compromise on anything.

Sad people couldn't realise what a BlackBerry is and what it's capable of doing. BB10 is the best os today and actually people don't know about it till today. They think BlackBerry is the same old (bolds, curves and torches). India was always a great market for BlackBerry but sadly they didn't focus on educating people about bb10. Z10's exorbitant launch price killed a big chunk of customer base and people started migrating to androids. Moreover android 's high end specs hype made people compare it to bb10. They didn't understand bb10 didn't need that much power.

Bb10 is incredible and it's been 3 yrs I'm hooked to it. My PPSE is the best BlackBerry ever and I will use it till it dies. And then maybe i'll get another one. Long live 

Posted via CB10
    12-06-15 12:33 PM
    Thinking about getting a blackberry passport silver edition but since the android priv came out I wonder how long will BB10 software stay around.

As long as they have the consumer demand for it. Heck BBOS7 still does exist and so BB10 will stay for a longer time I think ... enough for you to upgrade to another phone. The question really is, until when does BlackBerry will keep on supporting BB10? The question begs for 2 different answers where one is for hardware and the other is for software. If things go dull with Priv, BlackBerry stated that they will stop producing phones, but that doesn't keep them out of Software business.
    12-07-15 04:39 AM
    My hope as one person hit on is that BB10 will continue but with support of Android Apps. That way you get the superb BB10 OS but with the advantage of all the apps you could want.

Posted via CB10
    12-07-15 09:04 AM
    BlackBerry and BB10 will be around a long time IMHO.

Q10 (SQN100-3 : 10.3.2.158), Passport (SQW-100 : 10.3.1.1779)
    12-07-15 09:32 AM
    Also in countries like here (Jamaica) a lot of people still use OS7 still surprised to see Torch sliders and bold 9900 still plenty abound.

So am confident of at least 3+years with my fabulous BBPPSE!!

BlackBerry continues to support BBOS7 as they get fees for each device registered. They don't get anything for BB10 devices out in the wild. There is no revenue. So..
    Deadmunny likes this.
    12-07-15 09:43 AM
    BlackBerry 10 would have been long gone if not for the BlackBerry Passport. But instead of capitalising on the Passport's capabilities, BlackBerry turned it's focus to Android, a platform that already has major players like Samsung, HTC and Google. Pretty much the way Nokia went after it neglected its Symbian and Meego and resorted to Windows before exiting the smartphone business.
    12-07-15 09:47 AM
    BlackBerry 10 would have been long gone if not for the BlackBerry Passport. But instead of capitalising on the Passport's capabilities, BlackBerry turned it's focus to Android, a platform that already has major players like Samsung, HTC and Google. Pretty much the way Nokia went after it neglected its Symbian and Meego and resorted to Windows before exiting the smartphone business.
    100% correct.

Blackberry Passport
    rajdon82 likes this.
    12-07-15 09:59 AM
    I would never using mobile phone if BB10 closed.

Posted via CB10
    12-07-15 10:12 AM
    Confident to blackberry

Posted via CB10
    12-07-15 10:23 AM
    I think many of us see Blackberry effectively abandoning BB10, which is a huge shame. I don't like iOS. I don't like Android. I don't like Windows Phone. Nothing comes close to BB10 in terms of my productivity. My Blackberry Classic is immensely useful -- and I'd hate to think of it as my last Blackberry. I'm close to pulling the trigger on the Passport, though. My concern is that once inventory runs out, it's game over.

Sigh.

Mr. Chen, how could you do this to your customers?

-- eldee

Posted via CB10
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    12-07-15 10:25 AM
    Get a Silver Passport! I bought a Priv but still using the Passport a lot more. It's the best real BlackBerry phone there is. Hopefully if we keep supporting it BlackBerry 10 will continue!

Posted via CB10
    12-07-15 10:36 AM
    I will use BlackBerry OS 10 devices forever. Simply because it's best mobile OS ever. I have Blackberry Passport and Z30. Nothing beats BlackBerry OS 10

Posted via CB10
    12-07-15 02:56 PM
    BlackBerry continues to support BBOS7 as they get fees for each device registered. They don't get anything for BB10 devices out in the wild. There is no revenue. So..
    That I didn't know...

12-07-15 07:22 PM
    That I didn't know...

BIS is a per month/per device income. BB10 is a single sale income. BlackBerry got complacent on getting all that service revenue that they lost the competitive edge. Now under Chen, they gave up completely.
    12-07-15 07:26 PM