The technology they use to permanently store data is the same. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.
    Actually I do know what I'm talking about, thanks. I understand the reason for the deep wipe. People working in retail stores do not.

It just adds to the stigma that BlackBerry is antiquated.
    01-25-15 07:29 AM
    Again, laughable. No other devices in the industry take that long.
    There is no other phone around that gets totally wiped.. android, windows and ios devices will not do such a thing. You could be able to get everything back unlike on blackberry devices.

So it's all about the safety

Posted via CB10
    Barbareren likes this.
    01-25-15 07:33 AM
    Actually I do know what I'm talking about, thanks. I understand the reason for the deep wipe. People working in retail stores do not.
    There is a difference between simply deleting and the security wipe in fact. Simple delete/format data storage can be "undeleted"/"unformatted" by some software.
    The security wipe is "overwriting" the data, which can take much longer. After a security wipe, the data is completely lost.

BlackBerry|Q10, SQN100-3, OS 10.2.2.932; BlackBerry|Passport, SQW100-1, OS 10.3.0.675
    Barbareren likes this.
    01-25-15 07:37 AM
    There is no other phone around that gets totally wiped.. android, windows and ios devices will not do such a thing.
    If that's the case, why and how are so many of them used in enterprise environments?
    01-25-15 08:09 AM
    If that's the case, why and how are so many of them used in enterprise environments?
    IMO, because the BYOD culture of entitlement has so many enterprises afraid to say "No" to employees and let them spend COUNTLESS hours on Facebook or whatever other social site using whatever as a platform.

Question: How many on BB devices actually have a password on it, encryption active on the phone AND SD card ???
    01-25-15 10:08 AM
    IMO, because the BYOD culture of entitlement has so many enterprises afraid to say "No" to employees and let them spend COUNTLESS hours on Facebook or whatever other social site using whatever as a platform.

Question: How many on BB devices actually have a password on it, encryption active on the phone AND SD card ???
    I was thinking more in terms of a secure device wipe. You're going beyond the realm of the discussion.
    01-25-15 10:12 AM
    45-60 minutes.

It takes so long because it's actually doing a proper wipe and not some half assed job like on iOS or Android.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 10:30 AM
    It takes so long because it's actually doing a proper wipe and not some half assed job like on iOS or Android.
    An iPhone can be restored (wiped) through iTunes in less than 10 minutes. There are no traces of the previous user if the activation lock is turned off.

An Android phone can be wiped in 5 minutes or less. The user must choose to erase the internal SD memory. Never heard of issues with previous traces of user data if performed correctly.
    01-25-15 11:02 AM
    An iPhone can be restored (wiped) through iTunes in less than 10 minutes. There are no traces of the previous user if the activation lock is turned off.

An Android phone can be wiped in 5 minutes or less. The user must choose to erase the internal SD memory. Never heard of issues with previous traces of user data if performed correctly.
    Just because you're not aware of anything happening doesn't mean it has happened.

There are people who specialize in data recovery. Many have said it's very easy to recover data from other OSs but not BlackBerry.

Imagine law enforcement, government losing their phone or having it taken from them. The average Joe selling their phone to somebody with ulterior motives.

Taking the quick easy way almost never replaces the long tried and true way. Remember that!

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by surgeon1919; 01-25-15 at 01:51 PM.
    Barbareren likes this.
    01-25-15 12:34 PM

Trust me birdman, I'm not loyal to any brand. Last 3 months I've been using the Nokia 1520, i5C, i6, note 4 and now the BlackBerry pp.

As a person who's kinda addicted to phones and everything around it, I know this kind of stuff.

I've actually did compromise deleted data on my android phones before and also on my pc. Have not tryed it on IOS, but I know it's possible. Even the ''simple'' police officer would get your data back with some software.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 01:27 PM
    Trust me birdman, I'm not loyal to any brand. Last 3 months I've been using the Nokia 1520, i5C, i6, note 4 and now the BlackBerry pp.

As a person who's kinda addicted to phones and everything around it, I know this kind of stuff.

I've actually did compromise deleted data on my android phones before and also on my pc. Have not tryed it on IOS, but I know it's possible. Even the ''simple'' police officer would get your data back with some software.
    I'm more interested in why they're used in government, law enforcement, etc if this is such a security risk.
    01-26-15 10:04 AM
    Because they don't think about losing their phones. And most people don't even you are able to get these things back.

They just check the safety for hacks etc they need to pass some test and when they make it than its allowed.

and Btw. Most of the 'top ranked' people use blackberry duo to safety reasons. There is just not a phone as safe as a BlackBerry.

They also use normal pc and documents etc at those kind of agency, they could be stolen as well. When those things happen loads of things get leaked as most agency's don't en crypt everything that well.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by makie; 01-26-15 at 11:14 AM.
    01-26-15 10:59 AM
    it depends, if your SD card and Device are encrypted.... it takes a loooooooong time !
    01-26-15 11:39 AM
    My Blackberry's didn't get extra encryption, still took ages compared to ios, android and windows.

It because it's over writing everything instead of 'fake deleting' the phone

Posted via CB10
    01-26-15 11:46 AM
    what exactly does a security wipe do? Interested in doing one for the sake of battery life enhancement (and out of general curiosity lol) but am wondering if I'll lose any apps/games I've downloaded or installed, along with any music/pictures I had on the device...
    01-26-15 01:25 PM
    what exactly does a security wipe do? Interested in doing one for the sake of battery life enhancement (and out of general curiosity lol) but am wondering if I'll lose any apps/games I've downloaded or installed, along with any music/pictures I had on the device...
    Yes it will delete everything on your device.

Do a back up with link then restore afterwards.

Not sure if the Os your on will let you back up apps stuff

Posted via CB10
    01-26-15 02:03 PM
    what exactly does a security wipe do? Interested in doing one for the sake of battery life enhancement (and out of generosity lol) but am wondering if I'll lose any apps/games I've downloaded or installed, along with any music/pictures I had on the device...
    It will wipe everything

Posted via CB10
    01-26-15 02:07 PM
    i did a wiping with sachesi, it took almost 2.5 days and current status is 99%. i down't know when it will be finished or other way to install new os?
    06-19-15 12:01 PM
    secure wipe and going on a full day and half
    start to 75% took about 30 minutes from then on its been slowwwww

i did a wiping with sachesi, it took almost 2.5 days and current status is 99%. i down't know when it will be finished or other way to install new os?
    IamSuperMas likes this.
    06-27-15 10:14 AM
    Mine took about 20min and I have about a hundred apps on my phone!

Posted via CB10
    06-27-15 10:17 AM
    Hey guys, so let's be clear on the difference between deleting and security wipe:

Deleting only removes the data from a visible perspective, there is still data at the sector level, just no longer visible on the screen and it disables all the files that are associated with it. With certain proprietary softwares, they can rebuild the deleted data.

Security Wipe does the same thing in principle, but there are a few extra steps and operations that goes on in the process. Blackberry uses a technic (proprietary to BB) that full eradicates each sector of the SSD memory and drive. When the this function is started, the software protects the core OS (secured partition) that is currently installed and starts a deletion process of all data/software/apps that is not part of the software OS of that device.

Once the deletion process is done, it then starts a "deep" formatting of each sector/track, meaning writing "0" to each till it's blank of data and disassociates it from any other sectors. this also entails that the core OS that is on the device gets re-index too as it will reformat the actual space where the OS is and replace it back there once the process is completed. (hope you understand what I am explaining on the last part)

The process can take minutes to several hours and possibly 24hrs to completed depending on the size of the SSD, how much installs/uninstalls have occurred and really how much data was written all over the place. to add to that, there is only so much processing that can be done (speed) due to the processor and onboard RAM limitations. There is no simple formula to determine the time it will take. (I have some that has taken between an hour to 24hrs.)

I am a power user on my Passport and this will be the first time I am doing it. My setup is fairly big and have 10 email accounts with all sub folders in SYNC. I have over 500,000 emails on the device and require it to be there as I travel quite often and need access to all date and information. In addition, I have tons of BB10 & Android Apps. My 32 GIG SSD is used at approximately 70% at all times.

This said, I set my device for a security wipe yesterday at 5:00pm and we are the next day @ 2:00pm and its moving along...its at 98% right now.

I notice that at around 85%, this is where it started to get extremely slow!!! :-(. This said, I believe this is where it is doing every sector/track of the SSD and re-indexing the OS to the secure partition it creates throughout the process.

Hope this sheds some understanding on the process and can assist anyone one else going through the process!! (I tried to explain this s simple as possible. I know some of the very technical guys will chime in, but lets keep it simple and I welcome the added comments and clarifications)

Cheers! :-)
    07-27-15 01:55 PM
    I wiped my 30 the other day. It was still going 4 hours later. No SD card in it. I finally hooked it up to the computer to try and restore using link. It wouldn't but started the wipe all over again. The second one went fast and was done in less than a half hour but the first time it was at 94% and seemed to be just stuck there.
    07-27-15 02:05 PM
    I had an issue when I did a security wipe on my Passport. Went well into the 30 hour range twice before I ran an autoloader and got it going again.

Posted via Passport - 10.3.2.2339 
    07-27-15 02:45 PM
    Be patient as it can take between 45min to 90min depending on how much info needs to be eradicated!

Posted via CB10
    My Passport is well post 24 hours and currently at 98% which has been at this % since I woke up around 6a.m. This morning to check on it and I started the wipe before 10:00 a.m. yesterday..it's now 4:22 p.m. Mind you my device worked perfect before starting the wiping process which had to be done since I listed it for sale.
    08-13-15 03:23 PM
    Be patient as it can take between 45min to 90min depending on how much info needs to be eradicated!

Posted via CB10
    Hmmm, my Passport is well post 24 hours and currently at 98% which has been at this % since I woke up around 6a.m. This morning to check on it and I started the wipe before 10:00 a.m. yesterday..it's now 4:22 p.m. Mind you my device worked perfect before starting the wiping process which had to be done since I listed it for sale.
    08-13-15 03:24 PM
65 123