12-13-14 09:37 PM
52 123
tools
    Only had my Passport since Monday so I was wondering how long it took folks to adjust to the new keyboard on the device coming from a 4 row device with no virtual input.

I really am falling for this thing. The screen makes use so much more usable (to my old eyes). I am getting use to the hybrid keyboard but do miss the Alt key. Too many years with the 4 row has my thumbs getting a bit confused at times. Also hitting 'V' and 'B' a bit too often due to the shortened space bar.

All this said, I can't imagine that this unit is going back. Everyday my speed and accuracy increases (phew, no typos on that sentence!).

What's your experience?

Posted via CB10
    geekaren likes this.
    12-12-14 08:40 PM
    I've had mine for 3 days and I am doing pretty well coming from a Z10. I actually like this typing experience better than a touch screen.
    geekaren likes this.
    12-12-14 08:46 PM
    It took me a few days to get used to the V and B placement (and the short space bar), but now I can type on the Passport much faster than I ever could on the Q10 or older BB keyboard devices.

I like the roominess of the Passport keyboard, and of course the big screen!
    12-12-14 08:51 PM
    It took me about a day to be comfortable with it. But then I spent the whole day playing with it.

Posted via CB10
    Justin Couto likes this.
    12-12-14 08:59 PM
    I have to say I didn't need any getting used to time at all. The new keyboard design felt very intuitive from the get go.

Posted via CB10
    j21jam6 likes this.
    12-12-14 09:01 PM
    Took me about a week to really get rolling. About two weeks before I forgot about 4 rows.

The key for me was forcing myself to use the swipe up to complete a word just like on the Z10 and Z30. Reduces the stress of typing out every letter. Then learning the swipe down to get to other characters instead of the old fashion ALT key.

I may not be as fast as other BlackBerry keyboards yet but it sure is enjoyable to have your thumbs flying and seeing the message come together with a combination of physical, virtual and swiping.

Another feature that I didn't clue into until a month in was the double tap of the keyboard to bring up the edit bubble. Then using the shift key and keyboard as a trackpad to select text. Just like on the Z30 I was long tapping the screen to bring up the edit bubble then selecting text with my finger on the screen which definitely isn't the ideal way to edit on the Passport.

The trick is to keep your mind open to the innovative features of the keyboard and giving a chance for your muscle memory to kick in.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-14 09:05 PM
    Took me about 3 seconds after I turned the phone on.
    12-12-14 09:08 PM
    I got use to it in around three days, still hit z for the shift key sometimes. But getting a lot more faster and natural and only day 3. Also commas and full stops take a little getting use to, but would say couple more days and I'll be very fluent.

Blackberry Passport
    12-12-14 09:25 PM
    I've had mine for about an hour. This will take some getting used to but I am liking it so far.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-14 09:41 PM
    It took me a few days to get used to the V and B placement (and the short space bar), but now I can type on the Passport much faster than I ever could on the Q10 or older BB keyboard devices.

I like the roominess of the Passport keyboard, and of course the big screen!
    The V B switch is the biggest challenge for me too.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-14 09:42 PM
    It took me a month to really start flying on the keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-14 09:49 PM
    One week to get used, two weeks to feel absolutely comfortable.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport
    12-12-14 09:53 PM
    I've had mine since October and still having a difficult time with speed, etc. I haven't been able to make that leap despite my best efforts.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-14 10:09 PM
    It took me a few days to get used to the space bar but I have had it a few months now and it only acts up when its super cold outside. Otherwise I am good

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.1.1151
    12-12-14 10:13 PM
  15. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    A week or so and you'll be rocking!!

From my awesome Passport

Posted via CB10
    12-12-14 10:19 PM
    I'm on month #2 for me. Still not used to it. Have to do finger stretches before I start writing an email.

I still to this date press N and M expecting periods and commas.
    12-12-14 10:23 PM
    I can't type as fast as on my Q10 yet after owning it a week and a half, but it does feel nice and it gets easier to use day by day. Fingers are just to familiar with four rows still.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-14 10:43 PM
    It took me about a day moving from the Z30. I'll never go back!

Posted via CB10
    12-12-14 10:54 PM
    I've had mine for a couple of months but it took me about a week to get used to it.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-14 11:00 PM
    It only took my 3 days. Even I don't believe it.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-14 11:25 PM
    Only had my Passport since Monday so I was wondering how long it took folks to adjust to the new keyboard on the device coming from a 4 row device with no virtual input.

I really am falling for this thing. The screen makes use so much more usable (to my old eyes). I am getting use to the hybrid keyboard but do miss the Alt key. Too many years with the 4 row has my thumbs getting a bit confused at times. Also hitting 'V' and 'B' a bit too often due to the shortened space bar.

All this said, I can't imagine that this unit is going back. Everyday my speed and accuracy increases (phew, no typos on that sentence!).

What's your experience?

Posted via CB10
    I agree it took me about a week to get used to the keyboard to the point where I am almost as fast as on the touch screen keyboard. As for the space bar being small it will take some time before you thumbs muscle memory get used to and soon you will be typing like you have been on it for years.

Posting WIDE with CB10 on the Blackberry Passport
    12-12-14 11:37 PM
    I have both a bold 9900 and the pp... I've been accustomed to the passport since the 3rd week I bought it... it's a bit hard at times to switch between the two but you get used to it... I've been typing quicker by the day on this thing although it can feel a bit cramped at times

Posted via CB10
    12-12-14 11:42 PM
    Took 30 minutes to love it, and perhaps a day to feel comfortable and typing quicker than ever before, flipping through keys and getting things done.

Would be very difficult to go back to full touch now... but it's good to have the choice. There are devices for everyone, some like real keys, some don't

Q10 feel so ,.... tiny now - like a new beginner device .. ha ha ha
    12-12-14 11:52 PM
    Having spent the past 22 months with a Z10 then a Z30, I am having huge difficulties adjusting to the Passport after three days
    12-13-14 01:34 AM
    Felt very comfortable after the first sitting.
    Only had it for 10 days and it's second nature.

Posted two-handed via Passport
    12-13-14 01:51 AM
52 123